The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Experiment!

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Another Experiment! - Page 4 Empty Re: Another Experiment!

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 24 2013, 13:19

As for Ryan/Dunecat, he seems busy these days with regards posting rate but the invitation is always open for Ryan/anyone to join in this low power pulp game set in the 1930s with all the cliched bad guys that brings (Gangsters, Yellow Peril, mad scientists, spies, plus of course would be conquerers from the future, aliens and cthulu type beasties).

When I sent him a message a week or so ago, he told me he was waiting to hear from you on his detective character idea but did still want in.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 24 2013, 13:41

David M - save half of the points and spend the other half on new powers. Just read up on that section (it's been a while...) New powers cost ten times the base cost and are paid for on the 'increasing attributes' table rather than the 'purchase at the beginning which is much cheaper' table. So, the best I could come up with is either a factor cost of 5 for certain powers like Extended Hearing, which fulfills your remit of a different skill, or Running (base cost zero) and you can get 3 APs of that for 60HP, which is actually slower than the character has (4APs thanks to high Dex) already. I wonder if you can increase it on that basis, so that your 3APs becomes 7APs. Makes sense that way, maybe Dunecat will pitch in with his thoughts.

Jumping would probably make more sense to have before Running.  Big thing about Running is it allows you to run full speed across any flat surface that you would normally be able to cross, like Ledges or I-Beams in half completed buildings or even Wires.  So I could see having Running at a lower level speed than normal running just for those kinds of things but I think Jumping a bit more important right now.

Since I am looking at mostly getting new sensory powers more than increases in physical powers, having low levels of those kinds of powers, I think, would still be helpful.  Figure we go with the cheapest ones first and then work our way up to the more expensive powers.

This is off the chart in the back of the DC Heroes pdf you gave us, but I noticed, at least for jumping, that the Base Cost is different on the chart when compared to the description.  Don't have BOH at work so can't look that up to see what it says.

So powers I would like to eventually have:
Jumping                                           5BC or 15BC?  or does my strength pretty much negate needing this power?
Directional Hearing                         5BC

Hypersensitive Touch                     5BC
Microscopic Vision                          5BC
Extended Hearing                            5BC
Thermal Vision                                5BC
Super Hearing                                  5BC
Telescopic Vision                             5BC

Full Vision                                        5BC
Radar Sense                                     5BC
True Sight                                        5BC

Analytical Smell/Tracking Scent    10BC
X-Ray Vision                                     15BC
Sonar                                                15BC
Life Sense                                         35BC

SKILLS

Detective/Clue Analysis and Legwork 
Medicine/First Aid

what would be the cost to get these subskills?

So let's just start with the cheapy powers and skills and work our way down to the ones with the higher base costs.  And if we can't split my hero points exactly evenly, in order to get a power or skill, willing to take 5 or 10 extra hero points from the pool to do so and the remainder to use the game.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 14 2013, 23:34

David M - Off the top of my head I *think* the advancement remains the same in DC Heroes 3rd Edition and Blood of Heroes. That is:

1) New power? 10 x Base Cost and purchase APs on the 'increasing attributes' chart which is quite a bit more expensive than the starting character build chart.

2) new Skill? 5 x Base Cost and once more purchase APs on increasing attribute table. Skills are brutally expensive in this game. For an example it would cost 50HP for Base Cost of Detective and 40HP per point up to 8APs. In other words by blowing all but 10HP of his pool of points Stone Fist will have Detective (Clue Analysis and Legwork): 3 (Cost 140 points). Told you the cost was brutal...

Haven't applied any powers as yet - they can surface during play (whatever you choose) but the cost means you are not likely to benefit from it much (it'll be low APs). Senses are cheap, so I'd suggest going for another sense or saving your points for something you really want...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 23 2013, 19:03

Haven't applied any powers as yet - they can surface during play (whatever you choose) but the cost means you are not likely to benefit from it much (it'll be low APs). Senses are cheap, so I'd suggest going for another sense or saving your points for something you really want...

Let's give Stone Fist Extended Hearing. If I understand it correctly, that will cost him 50 points to have 0 APs in Extended Hearing - Base cost 5, FC of 1. And to give him 1 AP of that power would cost what?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 21 2014, 10:08

Will move this on tonight - I assume David is still about but probably living on the Pathfinder Alpha he mentioned in the OOC section of the main game. Will make it easy to catch up etc.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 22 2014, 13:51

catching up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum