The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin!

4 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 5 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin!

Post  smaug Tue Nov 01 2011, 00:20

OOC: Hmm what to do, could sentinel 'take' the arrows?

IC: "Im hear 'correct' the balance, lay down your weapons and leave and I'll give you my word that you will not be harmed for the righteous will always prevail....."

The three turned and looked at each other in smugness then back to sentinel all of them with bows focused on the the silver hero for they surely had the upper hand

"okay I'll put it in laymans terms.....dont start none, wont be none"

OOC: I'll let them have the first strike, even if I tryed to use my energy blast they'll probably get me first. For the time being I just wana kick there ass not kill them when I get my round

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 5 Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin!

Post  Admin Tue Nov 01 2011, 00:36

OOC See the Dark power sticky when you get a chance mate... However, for now...

The Dark Elven Rangers (for such is what they are) release their arrows simultaneously at Silver Sentinel!

OOC They are WC3, as Energy Attack x2 damage with a special poison effect... If they do more damage (before dividers) than your Vigour score they paralyse you for every 10 points (or part of) more than Vigour, robbing you of 1 frame per 10 points over Vigour. That would be a problem for the others. For Sentinel? Let's just say it'd have to be a great roll... The bows have a 'Quick Fire Blast' of x2 and that's it, so that's the max damage they can cause (as opposed to x5). Rolls are: 2d10+3+6-17=-5 Miss, 2d10+3+6-17=6 Hit (12htk reduced to 4 by dividers), 2d10+3+6-17=3 hit (6htk reduced to 2 by dividers)

Two of the arrows thud home though spring off Sentinels' armour leaving barely a mark!

The enemy gapes, and glances at one another. "This is powerful magic indeed! Our own magick should be easily enough to puncture this outlanders body!"

"Ne'er fear brothers!" says one. "For our poison will soon make its mark! Behold he..."

The three look at Sentinel. "...Acts as if the poison had no effect at all..."

OOC you have 4 frames.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 01 2011, 08:03

OOC:

Firstly thanks for the sticky, that puts it right where it needs to be so its handy to refer to. And thanks for the clarity, x3 comes after the rolls, brilliant.

Now I'm a bit stuck, I've been up since early and I might be a bit tired, but I'm a bit stuck as to what we're supposed to be doing. As I understand it things are in a tight balance, if we interfere, we'll make things worse, the grail is about to right wrongs anyway. So perhaps getting involved will mess up everything maybe the best thing we can do is sit tight and see what will out.

Normally things suggest themselves from the discourse and the plot line. But in this case it feels more grey or ambiguous a bit like when comic book tries to have heroes meddle in real world affairs. So my struggle is to know how we can help, without making things worse. The plot line is evasive, I'm sort of all for sitting it out really. But the one thing I will not let happen is to let the evil attack the good, I won't standby and let evil have a free shot, whilst we wait for things to sort themselves out! But otherwise I thought our objective was to get help, I knew that you'd throw a spanner in those works, but I'm a bit lost as to what we're to do? I guess I need to make sure this Elesieth is actually telling the truth.

Sorry mate, just not sure what I am supposed to be doing here?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 01 2011, 09:43

OOC in a nutshell - the world is out of balance here and in your own time (Nazis with the upper hand). Your presence here messes things up even more, and now there's a new good Queen that makes two (Morgana and Elesieth) whereas there was but one (Dark Morgana before). Now there's two of each,but again, you guys tip the balance depending on how you use you powers - good or evil. The solution to your problem in that you need help back in your own world is to - somehow - convince some of the warriors/creatures here to come and help you, thus righting the balance in this world and maybe, in your own. How you do that - capture, convince, start an insurrection, topple the Dark Queen and take a portion of the Good warriors back to your own land to right the balance here and help you - is up to you. Or you could go a different way - convince the evil types that you make a netter Dark Lord and give them a place to conquer - nazi Germany. In doing so you'd be exposing the Earth to magic and myth, but it wouldn't make any more a mess of things than they are at the moment. How you play it is up to you - Both good Queens have been kidnapped, you are talking to one of the Dark Queens. This is one of those situations where diplomacy might have a better effect than super powers... or it might not - your call.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Nov 01 2011, 11:01

OOC: Hell yeah who da man?

IC:"I told you to lay down your bows. I WONT ASK YOU AGAIN" Sentinel highlighted his point through gritted teeth.

While the three amazed archers stood there gawping jenson surged forward grabbing the nearest and restraining him

"The choice is yours I dont want to hurt you unless I have to.........I could snap his neck like a twig."

OOC:I really dont want to hurt them unless I have too but Im calling there bluff, if they test me and rush me I'll throw there friend at them

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 01 2011, 11:58

Admin wrote:OOC in a nutshell - the world is out of balance here and in your own time (Nazis with the upper hand). Your presence here messes things up even more, and now there's a new good Queen that makes two (Morgana and Elesieth) whereas there was but one (Dark Morgana before). Now there's two of each,but again, you guys tip the balance depending on how you use you powers - good or evil. The solution to your problem in that you need help back in your own world is to - somehow - convince some of the warriors/creatures here to come and help you, thus righting the balance in this world and maybe, in your own. How you do that - capture, convince, start an insurrection, topple the Dark Queen and take a portion of the Good warriors back to your own land to right the balance here and help you - is up to you. Or you could go a different way - convince the evil types that you make a netter Dark Lord and give them a place to conquer - nazi Germany. In doing so you'd be exposing the Earth to magic and myth, but it wouldn't make any more a mess of things than they are at the moment. How you play it is up to you - Both good Queens have been kidnapped, you are talking to one of the Dark Queens. This is one of those situations where diplomacy might have a better effect than super powers... or it might not - your call.

OOC: Ok I think I get it, but I guess I get a bit daunted by the anything goes sandbox option. I find it much harder to work out what I am "supposed" to do to make the scenario work and I find myself being overly cautious for fear of getting it wrong. That and one always wants the best possible outcome for a character.
===

Holding out his hand, Frostbite said, "Wait. I've come because our own world is in desperate need. There, we are the only ones who can effect the balance of what is wrong and right. We need people, we need your people those who'll fight and believe me there is plenty of fighting to be done.

If those who were willing to come, came, how would that effect what will happen next within this land?"

Frostbite thought about his words, weighing them carefully so as to try and not give too much away. He didn't want to subject this world to the fate of his own, by taking the best the land had to offer, but neither did he want to introduce a worse set of villains to his world either. It was complicated and the way forward troubling uncertain. One thing was for sure, an old soldier like him felt out of his depth.

OOC:

Ok depending on her answer I'll do one of the following:

If she says she'll help me then I'll want assurances, help in the sense that they'll release the good people they've got to help fight in our war.

If she on the other hands says no deal, then see below.

"Then I should warn you, I've come to seek help and I know that those who I need to help from also need help - I can be a willing ally or a terrible foe. The choice is yours, this land has tasted the power we wield, however reluctantly. Make no mistake this isn't a threat, its a choice. If you oppose us you will not win, consider the options. But also know this, if when I get back I find that Elesieth has been taken, or harmed in anyway, I will come and seek you out and you will have me personally to face."

Frostbite is laying this on a bit thick but he dosen't want to mess around with evil splinter groups when he's got a people to defend and a war to fight. He's got no time for petty egos and evil fancies.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 02 2011, 09:19

smaug wrote:OOC: Hell yeah who da man?

IC:"I told you to lay down your bows. I WONT ASK YOU AGAIN" Sentinel highlighted his point through gritted teeth.

While the three amazed archers stood there gawping jenson surged forward grabbing the nearest and restraining him

"The choice is yours I dont want to hurt you unless I have to.........I could snap his neck like a twig."

OOC:I really dont want to hurt them unless I have too but Im calling there bluff, if they test me and rush me I'll throw there friend at them

Silver Sentinel ignored the arrows that pinged off his armoured hide and strode up to the nearest Dark Elf. Grabbing him (OOC Just. 2d10+2+6=19.) he hoisted him up into the air!

The other two looked at one another, then sprang out of the window leaving their comrade squirming in Sentinels' grasp!

"Let me... go!" squeaked the Dark Ranger. Sentinel frowned, then pulled back the hood. He gaped as he saw a beautiful young woman with dark grey/brown skin and pure white hair grinding her teeth and struggling without hope against his superhuman strength! She directed a well placed boot between his legs only to cry "Ouch!" whilst Sentinel thanked his stars he was armoured there!

"What now, Hero?" she spat. "You and your friends had plunged this world into war! Kill me and have done! Your presence here will ensure that more of the dark elves spring up from the earth to right the balance!"

Sentinel wasn't sure what she meant - clearly there was something going on here more than simply the kidnapping of a Queen - which reminded him - Elesieth was gone! With a curse he moved to the window, still squirming elf in his grasp! They'd moved like lightning, and he saw the other two sprinting at superhuman speed (OOC so, that'd be grade 2 then) over the rooftops, dropping 30 feet and hitting the ground at a run, then away into the woods! He had no chance - at normal speed - of catching them! The woman relaxed in his hand... and Sentinel saw she'd slipped from her cloak and hood as if she were water! She wore a thin brown hide vest over her taught athletic body and landed in a crouch, clearly up for a fight! Sentinel was between her and the window, and she intended going through him!

OOC Your call - you have another 2 frames to act.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 02 2011, 09:44

Frostbite outlined the choices to the Evil version of the Elesieth he knew. She was so beautiful.. and so cold!

Finally she smiled. "This land will forever be in flux now, good vs evil and neither gaining the upper hand for long! We... simulacrums have no life beyond a day ago, no history save recent memories of our hated 'good' selves, and yet I share some of Elesieths' wisdom. I see merit in your idea - reduce the good - and the evil - in this land and create more space between the two, but it would have to be like that, godling. You cannot take all good, or all evil. Can you say for certain such a mixed group could work?"

She smiled again as she saw his indecision. "Think on it, and I will take the words to the growing mass of Dark Knights, Rangers and Priests in the woods, a force becoming so large it would give even you pause! Every truly good creature or person in this land and across the world has an evil simulacrum. Those who stand neutral - neither good nor evil - shall watch on and see the two forces clash time and again until all are gone save them that survive the crossfire. The Grail did this! I will tell you this though - the Dark Queen rules now in the North. And Morrigan has ensnared the White Queen, Morgana, for her own ends! She means to somehow combine their powers but vanquish the good in the White Queen completely! We Dark Elves, Knights and Priests will pick on the remnants after she plunges this world into darkness, and no amount of good magic from the grail shall stop this world from being torn asunder! And where then, do you think the Dark Queen will turn, Godling, save to where the gate opens nearest?"

Frostbite shifted uneasily. The repercussions of their actions could yet haunt them in a way unseen, as the forces of darkness fled a burning world into his own! He shook his head. Nazis, Shadow Demons, Aliens, now the mystical forces of Darkness! Was there no let up?

He felt a hand touch his cheek and looked up to the Dark Elf. "I see your pain and would comfort you, but the evil in my heart says to slay you whilst you ponder!" She leaned in, kissing Frostbite, her cold lips matched by his own... "Whilst I live I will love no other... and yet I will see you thwarted, hero!" she laughed, then sped off into the darkness of the woods!

As Frostbite felt where her lips had touched, he heard a voice call. "Return here in one hour hence. I shall speak to the dark forces. We may be evil... but we are not without wisdom! What use in staying on a world whereby the forces therein will smash it asunder in an apocalypse of fire and death? Better by far to journey to a land of peace - and corrupt it to our needs!"

Frostbite chuckled at that. Planet Earth was hardly a 'land of peace' right now!

Still, he had a hard choice to make. Somehow form a band of good and evil to take from this place and to his own world, holding them together long enough to stop a Nazi invasion? And if they somehow won, what then?

He sat on a rock to consider his options:

1) Elesieth had been kidnapped, he was sure. As had Morgana. He could go after one - or split up from Sentinel and seek both.
2) He could return in an hour to hear this evil Elesieths' answer to his plea for aid
3) He could travel to the icy lands of the north to confront the Dark Queen
4) He could seek to gather the good forces of this world and warn them against the coming storm
5) He could travel back to his own land and let this world fight its own battles - he had enough on his plate! That said, he knew that he would revert to being Joseph Hoskyn there. Joseph Rigdon was given form only through the grace of Elesieths' magic...

He considered another option.

The Dark Power.

He felt it inside him, churning. He also knew - somehow - that it had fed from the Dark Elfs' emotions, somehow dampening her evil and letting her resist that which urged her to kill him!

'You could become master of this world, Joseph. Then once all bend their knee to you, lead them on a crusade to smash your enemies in your own land! The Shadows pay little heed to this place - there is evil, but countered by good, it provides poor pickings indeed! Far better to feast on the misery of your own land!'
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 02 2011, 22:16

Admin wrote:He sat on a rock to consider his options:

2) He could return in an hour to hear this evil Elesieths' answer to his plea for aid

It burned him inside to think of waiting whilst Elesieth's doppleganger got up to who knows what. But he felt he had little choice, their actions had in truth, brought this about in the first place. But doing nothing would equally have doomed this place and then what.

But still it rubbed him sore, that whilst his world was being torn apart, this once idyllic place was doing the same. Truth be told it hurt more because he felt he was beginning to feel something for Elesieth. But where could that go, he was a man living within a bored body. He possessed so much strength but not even the means to be who he once was. If such a life even existed.

Yet this was how Nowhere man had lived for...who knows how long. No wonder he was messed up. Would this be his fate! Shaking his head, Joe got up, stretched, and floated up above the forest canopy. He felt like seeing the place a little better, but time being what it was here, he didn't trust himself to be back in time, so blew away the cobwebs skimming over the place circling the area where he was to wait.

He loved flying the sensation was incredible. He'd had dreams of flying when he was young, the dream always left a lingering impression of faint regret. And yet to his amazement here he was, flying unaided, unfettered and yet still all too soon with the weight of the world pressing down on him.

OOC:

Ok Joe will hang around to see what Elesieth dark double wants to do. I don't really mind if she comes or stays but I want to take Elesieth and as many of the good folk who'll come with me. If we get a chance, I'd like to have a chat with Queen Vic about how the grail can be used to restore the land, to the good untouched place it once was. I might have to leave it behind, but I'd like to leave behind what was, rather than what is.

Seems a shame.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 02 2011, 23:12

OOC Right, will update when I see what Sentinel is going to do then as the pair of you might end up waiting for Dark Elesieth or he might toddle off on his own.

Floating high above the forest, Joe looked down and saw it went on for miles! Truly, it was a wonder given how in the world he'd left behind the forests had been replaced with concrete jungles. This place was so natural, so untouched that it felt like being here had polluted it somehow. The grail had done that, with its magic having upset the balance, then compensated when Putty again upset it. He figured that if he were able to see this world in terms of good and evil, it should be balanced, but instead was spinning at one angle then the opposite one as first good, then evil, then good again, with the introduction of Joe and the Sentinel, and now evil with the duplication of every Paladin, Knight Errant, Priest, Ranger and low born peasant in this land was replicated, save to be a mirror image of those peoples' pure hearts.

In the distance, from somewhere in the trees, he saw a pall of rising smoke. A fire in a forest was a dangerous thing, but this could mean only one thing. War had come to this forest, and would soon spread to this world! A wave of sadness came over Joseph Rigdon. It seemed that for every good he did, evil countered it twofold!

'The battle is neverending, mortal.' explained the Dark Power. 'All you can do is your best. Make life bearable for a time because when you are gone, life will go on, and the cycle will continue. Good triumphs over evil and in turn is bested as Evil rises from the ashes. And so on. Here the Shadows have little sway. There is not the suffering that is present in your world. It will change however, and in a short time should war spread across the world. North. The key lies North. The Dark Queen started this cycle anew. Stop - or slay - her and the balance will be unsettled. You must therefore remove the unbalancing power as well. The White Queen whom you aided. She too must leave this land, and the peoples must fend for themselves. It is the only way. See you mortal - look yonder!'

Frostbite turned as he hovered and saw a dot in the sky, becoming ever larger. "What is...?" he gasped as he made out the distant form of a Dragon! The sun glinted off it's body, though the colour was indistinct from this distance - Red, or Gold, it was unclear. What was clear though was that it was flying towards the village he was close to!

OOC as mentioned, we'll see what Sentinel does - those pesky elves and their grade 2 speed can leave you guys in their dust so he'll have to get his skates on to catch his prey or concede defeat and join up with you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Nov 03 2011, 00:28

"Wait....please wait" sentinel pleaded to the young woman as he dived in front of the wooden framed window arms stretched wide blocking her escape.

"I meet what I said before I dont want to kill anyone unless I have to" he added now holding his hands palms facing towards the athletic archer

"Please explain what you meant by 'balance'? Maybe we could help each other?"

OOC: Once again trying the peaceful approach but remember how well it when last time sentinel tryed to make friends. Better ready my energy attack from my palms just to make sure....set phasers to stun though.

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 04 2011, 02:17

The Dark Clad Ranger paused, then turned. "I sense your power... and you wield it as would a child! Very well... something happened." she called out, voice echoing across the distance between the two combatants. "As I understand it, a great and ancient magick restored the Queen to health, but also the land to balance. Your friends tipped that balance, and so the land responded, thanks to the magick. I, and others like me, were created to right the balance. Evil, to counter my good self, somewhere out there in the forest! Even now I... I don't understand why, but speaking to you seems to calm my spirit! I have the urge to slay you, yet I cannot! Why?"

'I feed on her negative emotions' said the Dark Power inside. 'Quelling the evil that resides in her. I suppose an unfortunate side effect is that the balance is once more disturbed as I devour her evil intent. The magick she speaks of is powerful. It resides in everything and everywhere here. Best complete your task soon - free the kidnapped Queen - and return to your own land. The evil here will allow me to feast... and the magick will create more evil in return! On second thought, mortal, STAY! I may begin to like it here with an inexhaustible supply of food!'

The Dark Ranger shook her head, unaware of the creature inside Silver Sentinel and its feasting on the evil thoughts inside of her. "I must go. My brothers and sisters of the Dark Elves plot and scheme while I... I talk to you? Why? Only moments before I would slay you!"

She seems confused, then darts into the woods, vanishing without trace - even the bushes and leaves show no sign of her passing!

Silver Sentinel sees Frostbite hovering above the trees of the forest in the distance.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 04 2011, 12:40

OOC: Got bored waiting...

Frostbite spoke, knowing he was be heard by Sentinel. "Hey we've got problems mate. Why don't you join me." Sentinel could hear the resigned tone in his voice.

Meanwhile Frostbite considered his options. Taking the forces from this place was his original intention, but now every moment they hung around, forced the land to adjust to their presence. Granted the being's within them couldn't be considered 'good' in the usual sense. But their intentions were probably more noble that that of the evil counter parts here.

Frostbite wasn't going to leave without knowing Elesieth was safe, but after that...he felt they'd best leave. Their presence here was making things worse, as had been the arrival the first time around.

OOC:

Ok looks like being here is like pouring petrol on a burning flame so we've probably exhausted this avenue of help and will have to just make do with the dark power and our best efforts.

I would like to try and get Elesieth away from harm. But I'm torn about that, wondering if our intervention will only make matters worse still.

If the dark Elesieth returns I will agree with her that if she lets Elesieth go, we will leave. If she doesn't then its a different story. I'd like to take the opportunity to talk one last time to Elesieth before we leave and old Joe has to exchange places with new Joe.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 04 2011, 13:47

Frostbite passed on the message to Silver Sentinel then turned to the growing dot in the sky.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #4a - All aboard the Odin! - Page 5 Dragon_approaching

Despite all he'd seen and known, both in his own life and 'piggybacking' his American WWII counterpart Joe Hoskyn, Frostbite was impressed when he saw the thing flying through the air. As big as a house, it defied a number of laws of gravity and reality, and roared its challenge out to any in earshot as it soared towards the town Frostbite had just left.

Any doubt as to the things intentions was clarified when it let loose with a 100m jet of flame that torched the streets below, sending people screaming and running for cover! Houses burst into flames, people died and the Dragon made to swoop around for another pass! It seemed to have not noticed Frostbite where he hovered over the forest...

OOC This thing is BIG. It's around 500m away but circling around for another pass. That will bring it within 300m of where Frostbite is, and chances are it'll see him unless he ducks into the trees. That said, he's intangible, so shouldn't have much to worry about - the fire will reduce dividers, but probably to a level where he's not to concerned (seeing as though he has 11/11 dividers)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 04 2011, 18:35

Admin wrote:OOC This thing is BIG. It's around 500m away but circling around for another pass. That will bring it within 300m of where Frostbite is, and chances are it'll see him unless he ducks into the trees. That said, he's intangible, so shouldn't have much to worry about - the fire will reduce dividers, but probably to a level where he's not to concerned (seeing as though he has 11/11 dividers)

"Uh Oh" Said Frostbite, involuntary. He had to wonder who or even what was behind this attack. Was it something designed to provoke them or was it even this Dark Queen herself, her response as it where.

Frostbite didn't need to wait for Sentinel to see what was going on, so he shot off, fully intend on drawing the dragon away, yet also feeling powerless. Anything he did was going to make things worse, but then by being here it was already that.

The sooner he could make sure Elesieth was clear, the better they return and he and she forget they ever met.

OOC:

Ok I am going for Mr Chilli Breath, Dragon. I will seek to draw its attention and let it fly at me, whereby I will fly straight through it, seeking to disorientate it. I could of course go for some all out nasty attack from within. But I am not yet sure if this thing is just some wild random beast or something of intelligence that might be reasoned with.

So for the meantime its time for me to try and engage with it and take it from there.

However if it should ignore me and continue to attack then I am not taking prisoners and will go on the offensive and attack it back. First with quick blasts from my Field Manipulation then calling on the dark power to go up by several grades to freeze its insides, if it still insists on not listening.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 04 2011, 21:08

The Dragon seems wholly intent on destroying the town. It's wingspan alone casts a huge shadow over the streets below, and Frostbite wonders what might compel such a thing to attack a settlement. The people of the town start to mobilise, pulling dusty bows from cupboards, digging swords out of sheds. It all seems rather like sticks and stones against a tank!

Enter Frostbite.

He sped up, ghostlike and the Dragon flew through him, spinning and tumbling to slow its flight and look on in confusion. "Wizard! I was told to come here and destroy the town! A new age of Darkness falls upon the land! You would do well to choose the right side!" it bellows, voice sounding like a metal grate being dragged over concrete.

'The creature was born of the Grail magic.' explained the Dark Power. 'I feed on its negative emotions. It will not attack you without provocation, like the others. It is, however, old, and unlike humans. Therefore it might be less... predictable. Has it occurred to you, mortal? You can mould an army of darkness to do your bidding, taking them through the portal and having them fight your war for you, but to do so would unbalance this now accursed realm. You therefore would need to take an equal amount of good creatures with you. Would they leave this idyllic place? Leave for your world of war and strife? That seems to be your task - to persuade them somehow. First though, Evil most definitely has the upper hand! You must rescue BOTH Queens if you are to persuade the warring creatures of this land that you, more than any Queen, are worth the following! You might be able to reason with the good creatures, but the evil only recognise strength! Show weakness and they will try to destroy you, no matter how much of their negative emotions I leach off!'

Frostbite heard the rasping voice within. Since he'd 'come back' to the land of the living it seemed to have changed its way of dealing with him. Was that... respect?

'Only in that I see there is no better match amongst the humans for me at the moment. Do not flatter yourself, mortal!'
it chuckled.

That was more like it!

The Dragon turned, sucking up a breath and beating its wings to hover, then angled itself to prepare for another dive on the town!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 04 2011, 23:09

Admin wrote:That seems to be your task - You must rescue BOTH Queens if you are to persuade the warring creatures of this land that you, more than any Queen, are worth the following!

Frostbite would have liked to linger on these words, they resonated deeply within him. Truth was deep inside he was scared. Scared to make matters worse, scared to inflict on his own world more horror and death by bringing through a formidable force from this world. In his heart he'd never have imagined that things here, in what he once thought to be so idyllic could have become so bad. Now he was contemplating spreading that once again into his own world. Was there another way? Could matters get any worse?

Truth be told, despite all his power and resources, he wanted what most people wanted deep down inside. To know that of all the available choices, what was best. But of course he couldn't one thing was denied him, to know the outcome of what he faced. So all he could was to try the lesser of two equally bad choices and hope for the best!

Admin wrote:The Dragon turned, sucking up a breath and beating its wings to hover, then angled itself to prepare for another dive on the town!

"Time to go to work..." Frostbite said to no one in particular, he had a sour taste in his mouth. So much death and destruction, he was a soldier, he fought. But he didn't have to like it. Weakness or not that was the way he felt.

Flying forward and accelerating to intercept the creature, Frostbite stretched out his hands. Returning from his intangible state, he let loose with an attack using his considerable power over cold to freeze the dragon's insides, particularly around the throat area. No doubt its muscles were strong, but whilst he could do damage, he'd do it to that which was probably most vulnerable.

OOC:

Ok so field manipulation to the throat (if called shots make any difference), so that the thing gets the equivalent of a saw throat. Not sure if this is a surprise round, or if its just ignoring me. So will use the power to freeze it up good and proper - HTK all the way.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 05 2011, 23:07

Frostbite thrust out, turning the moisture in the air inside the creatures throat to ice! It took all his considerable power - the dragon was like a living furnace and he felt his ice melt as soon as he'd formed it, be he pressed on!

The Dragon seemed to writhe in the air, clutching at its throat! It belched flame out, only for the the fire to come from its nose partially! The great dark creature gagged, coughing, and spun to the floor, smashing into trees below and lying sprawled in a clearing of its own making which steam rose from it's mouth!

He'd stopped the thing in its tracks by freezing the glands in its throat at the moment they immolated the stomach acid it used to produce flame, but such a trick would not catch the wily creature unaware again! It leapt upwards, flame breath temporarily disabled, and strained with claw and fang at its new enemy!

OOC It's having to move towards Frostbite, has taken some damage from the fall, and its lost one of its three daily fire blasts, the last being temporarily disabled, but it still has claws and fangs, plus the buffeting of the wings will keep Frostbite off balance! Silver Sentinel can see the battle unfolding now, so feel free to step in Ross. 1d10=3 Heroes, 1d10=8 Dragon. It flies upwards for 3 frames and can attack in its last frame. Bear in mind this thing will attack with 1 bite or two claws in a single frame, so you're not facing a pushover. That said, you have 4 frames and face off against an angry dragon. If Silver Sentinel wants in on the action he must travel all round to get into range of his energy blast or 6 frames to get into range of melee. The alternative is calling on the Dark Power for a speed boost. 4 frames Frostbite - over to you.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Sun Nov 06 2011, 20:06

OOC: Hell yeah bring it. Guessing we are still trying to draw its attack upwards away from the villagers?
Better melee attack it then not my ranged attack as it might turn tail and head back down.

IC: With the scaly dark beast now concentrating on frostbite and not scorching the ground below sentinel used the element of surprise and launched himself full thrust at the underbelly of the enraged dragon both fists infront of him.

Both fists found there mark but without hanging about to see the out come sentinel carried on his flight onwards towards frostbite only stopping when he got there

OOC: Que energy blast from a distance as the dragon advances but Im guessing my next attack will be interrupted before that lol

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Nov 06 2011, 22:25

Admin wrote:OOC It's having to move towards Frostbite, has taken some damage from the fall, and its lost one of its three daily fire blasts, the last being temporarily disabled, but it still has claws and fangs, plus the buffeting of the wings will keep Frostbite off balance! Silver Sentinel can see the battle unfolding now, so feel free to step in Ross. 1d10=3 Heroes, 1d10=8 Dragon. It flies upwards for 3 frames and can attack in its last frame. Bear in mind this thing will attack with 1 bite or two claws in a single frame, so you're not facing a pushover. That said, you have 4 frames and face off against an angry dragon. If Silver Sentinel wants in on the action he must travel all round to get into range of his energy blast or 6 frames to get into range of melee. The alternative is calling on the Dark Power for a speed boost. 4 frames Frostbite - over to you.

"Well that worked better than expected, now got to think about an encore." He said, to no one in particular, but deep down inside, he knew even with Sentinel's help he needed to do something.

But before he based this creature seven ways to Sunday, Frostbite had to know if it was intelligent or not.

Holding out his hands, he shouted toward the creature, "WAIT!"

OOC:

Ok I am going to attempt to talk to this ancient beast, hopefully it might be more than a mindless brute. But if it turns out that its not to be reasoned with or it is a mindless brute then the only way forward it to first amp up the power and reluctantly slay it.

Which means turning to the dark power for help.

In which case I think I am going to try and take this thing down and quickly. Probably best thing is to upgrade my field manipulation so I can take it out from within real fast. Sort of pour on the full works without worrying about dividers and what not.

So I'm grade 2 lets go up to grade 4 and effectively if the dragon doesn't listen I want to freeze its insides so hard it drops to the ground and shatters. Nasty but I've not got time to worry about being nice, if its not prepared to listen.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07 2011, 00:32

Silver Sentinel saw the battle, not even having time to figure out why or how a mythical creature had gotten here, let alone attack his friend!

Meanwhile Frostbite tried diplomacy one last time... "WAIT!"

The Dragon seemed to pause its flight, beating its wings and hovering. "SAY WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY BEFORE I DEVOUR YOU!" it bellowed.

'It can sense me inside you, mortal!' laughed the Dark Power with some glee. 'And yes, my evil nature calls to it, perhaps as a dog would come to a master! Depending on what you say, you may be able to avoid a fight, but do not show weakness! You have already demonstrated a fraction of your strength! If you wish this thing to serve you, it must feel that it cannot win a battle with you! Subdue it!'

All the while Silver Sentinel sped inwards, finally getting within range of the Dragon

OOC but not before Frostbite can find some way to subdue the thing. I used to let my players use the flat of their blades in D&D, though that of course is absurd. Any Dragon worth its salt would laugh off the slaps and cast a few spells, then breathe and claw the enemy to death. Happy days. My group used to moan that I was a 'killer DM' without realising I fudged a pile of rolls to keep them alive as long as they did! They would literally blunder into one disaster after another with the tactics being "Rush 'em!" Oops. Going off topic. The Dragon is about to attack, but something about the Dark Power inside of Frostbite makes it recognise you as a being/power to be respected. It is evil, and arrogant though, so sometimes an action may speak louder than a word...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 07 2011, 08:55

Admin wrote:"SAY WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY BEFORE I DEVOUR YOU!" it bellowed.

Frostbite was aware that he might well have to man up, since what a beast like this understood was strength. And strength he had, but as ever the danger was that he coward the creature without destroying this fare land all over again.

Momentarily he called again on the dark power, in truth he'd already been preparing for this knowing that in calling the Dragon to a halt, it might well attack and Frostbite couldn't afford to wrecklessly throw his life away, not now and not here.

OOC:

Ok I am going to need some advice as to how we do this. I want to appear stronger and more powerful and blast away at the Dragon, but I want it to be clear my bite is far worse than my bark but my bark is pretty impressive.

So I guess I want to do something like a shout - maybe as an energy attack that blasts sonically at the creature. a big huge blast, not so much doing damage, but leaving him in no uncertain terms with who he is dealing with. Not unlike the large vibration blast we did in the Atlantis trench.

I also want to grow larger, to complete the picture and let the cat peek out the bag, let the shadow prince be seen within so this creature can get a true sense of who its dealing with.

Again if need be will call upon hero points to keep things in check. I know I could call on actual power but this is wanting to create the illusion of all that without having to actually do it. But not the same as doing a hypnotic illusion or something - far too complicated and far too costly in terms of points.

Assuming all goes well...

"Who do you think you are to address me as you do. Am I a mere stripling, newly hatched that you address me in such a manner. Speak, who dares attack that which is under my protection. Who is it, whose shadow passes before me and darkens my counsel. Speak up, for you stand in the presence of one, who would demand by what authority you dare come against me!"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07 2011, 12:35

OOC well, it's kind of a magic attack. That's a 40 Dark Power point effect to call on (not a problem with grade 3 Dark Power - you quite literally only need 14 Dark Power points to pull that off, so what, 3D10?). Still, more points to play with is always better Smile Let's say Frostbite calls on the Dark power for 8 points...[3,1,15] = (19) Frostbite [5,4,8] = (17) Dark power. Even with lousy rolls, it's still fairly easy. Ish. Rolling Eyes Right, you have 8d10 → [2,8,6,7,6,2,10,2] = (43). Not great but the 10 netts an extra 1d10 → [3] = (3). Still not great, but 46 points times 3 means 138 Dark power points. You can see how that's really getting in with the big boys (power wise). With the wave of a hand you can summon up Grade 8 strength (+104 strength to add to your 9 for 113 strength) with a few points left over. To put that into context, you would be stronger than Superman Smile His lowly 105 Strength is only in the rough general ballpark of yours with Grade 8 strength. If you want to stick to what you asked for, how about: Magic grade 1, Hallucinations (10 point of 15 Magic points) for the growth effect and a Dark power (sound) blast doing Htc damage. Say, 95 points worth. That'd be 10 to make it a frame attack, 5 for line of sight range, x9 multiplier, -8 Damage Dividers, WC9, Htc damage. With that said...

Frostbite crackled with dark energy, then swelled to become a giant in the sky! For miles around creatures, good, evil and the merely terrified, looked up. Birds took flight, horses railed in fear, dogs howled and ran off to hide whilst hoes and tools dropped from nerveless fingers!

Back at the 'battle' site, Frostbites' bellowing voice washed over the creature in a wave!

OOC This shouldn't be too tricky. 2d10+9+6-17 → [9,1,9,6,-17] = ( 8 ) accuracy, thanks to an average roll. Dividers reduced to nothing, damage multiplied by 9, 72 Htc. For a creature as big as this, that's a hefty hit still... I assumed a similar size and stats to Morgana Le Fay in Queen Victoria and the Holy Grail (alas, no shrubberies or Knights that say 'Ni!') That leaves the creature, quite appropriately, staggered. Impressive. I will update Frostbites character sheet (as I will do everyones) with the current Dark Power Grade. Finally, at the higher Dark power grades we see cosmic level might being tossed about! There is always that creeping doubt, the warning though, to be careful when and where it's used... Those dice... Wink

The Dragon tumbled, crashing into the trees as the torrent of power smashed it flat! It lay on its back, whimpering, and quite staggered. Drunkenly it looked up, trying to untangle itself from the bushes...

"MY... my master..." it muttered. "I have not long existed thanks to the magic of this land, but I share the memories with my accursed 'good' twin! Ne'er have those memories revealed a creature of such dark majesty to exist! I prostrate myself, and bind myself to your service! Know a Dragons' word, unlike a lying, fickle humans, is its bond!"

OOC you have the evil equivalent of a Gold Dragon as a pet. You might be better placed to tell me what colour that actually is (I don't have the intricate knowledge of D&D I used to, and despite my best efforts, I can't love D&D4e. Any game that has a simple fight turn into an epic of strategy and power use kind of falls flat for me. Fights should be exciting, but they shouldn't take ages to resolve Rolling Eyes Anyway, rambling again... ) The Hallucination will remain for 3 rounds. The Dark power blast points are gone, but have done the trick. Dark Power Growth is 1, Dark Power XP is 1/20 (to get to level 4).

Last edited by Admin on Mon Nov 07 2011, 12:40; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07 2011, 12:38

Silver Sentinel watched the 'new' Frostbite (OOC actually the 'old' one) call on the Dark Power with skill, finesse and ease! The ice coated figure instantly swelled to a gigantic height, hovering over the forest, then quite literally shouted the Dragon down! The trees were flattened where the Dragon landed and the creature itself cowered like a whipped dog!

"uhm, wow?" muttered Sentinel, glancing at his fists, the size of the Dragon, then the size of Frostbite!

'Pah! You could call on such power, stripling, if your fear did not outweigh your ambition!' barked the inner Dark voice...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 07 2011, 23:08

Admin wrote:"MY... my master..." it muttered. "I have not long existed thanks to the magic of this land, but I share the memories with my accursed 'good' twin! Ne'er have those memories revealed a creature of such dark majesty to exist! I prostrate myself, and bind myself to your service! Know a Dragons' word, unlike a lying, fickle humans, is its bond!"

Giddy with the power he felt coursing through him, Frostbite licked his lips as he gasped for breath.

"Good!" He continued to get force himself to be calm. He'd done the hard part, now he needed information and then to deal with the Dragon in the meantime.

"Who sent you and what is your business here?"

He waited assuming that the Dragon would see no reason not to tell him more. After this he planned to send the dragon away until he summoned him. But for now anything he could find out, might come in handy later.

OOC:

Pump the Dragon for info, including its name.

Then tell it to leave until I have need, its not to touch the town below which I am presently using as my base of operation.

OOC you have the evil equivalent of a Gold Dragon as a pet. You might be better placed to tell me what colour that actually is. The Dark power blast points are gone, but have done the trick. Dark Power Growth is 1, Dark Power XP is 1/20 (to get to level 4).

The Dragon can be a Red, which is fine.

I love D&D 4e as a DM its so much easier to prep. Yes combat can be slower, but tactically more rewarding. I'm finding new ways of making it more exciting and thrilling for my players and including all sorts of challenges and RPlaying as well. We're having a blast. I've never tried Pathfinder, it looks great but I worry about how many rules there are for everything and the prep time seems to be just a long as before as well.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next