The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home...

4 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home... Empty World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home...

Post  Admin Mon May 14 2012, 11:21

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home... VANGUARD_TITLES_ISSUE_11

Anyman shifted uneasily. With all eyes in the room on him, he was aware that there were guards, uniformed and otherwise, stationed about the large conference room. With the rest of the White House undergoing reconstructions after the previous days battle, they would take no chances with more attacks, even if their weapons were woefully inadequate. And perhaps therein lay the problem.

America had been a 'sleeping giant' that Anyman had nudged into awakening. He imagined they saw themselves as saviours, riding in to save the day before riding off into the sunset. The Robo Carriers had shattered any illusion about them being a world power, and to know that one nation controlled ALL the robot carriers, and their own 'police force' that could be anywhere, anytime, and face down any threat... Well he could sort of see the reason for their suspicion and hostility.

"Churchill has sent a short, terse message - that all war be halted immediately, or repercussions shall be swift and total! Who does he think he is? We agreed to help you people, only to find out a day later that you not only don't need our help, but have the means and will to take over the world yourself!" spluttered the head of the Naval service. "It seems to me that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!"

There were murmurings of agreement from around the table.

"We need to know their intentions, immediately. If they have the means to attack us, we will defend ourselves! If they mean to conquer other countries, replacing Hitler with their own brand of tyranny, we will not stand idle! We may not have the weapons, but we have the will and will find a way!" said the head of the Army.

Roosevelt watched and listened, then asked for calm. "You understand our position son? We are grateful to you for what you have done, but we can't help but look in the sky and wonder if that ship of yours will rain death from above! Sometimes the right to live in peace must be fought for, we understand that. The machines that we have seen, the powers that you have, there is no fighting them..."

Some murmurs of disagreement were audible, but even the most bull headed soldier realised that when an army had bow and arrows, the other tanks, there would only be one outcome.

"Every nation in the world will look to the skies and wonder, are we next? Well... are we?"

'I don't care either way what your people do with the flying weapons' rasped the Dark Power. 'Where they go, fear and mistrust spreads, and that is food to me. If they leave, will things get any better, or return to what they were? The only thing I am sure of, right now, is that you can't go home - if you wish to keep the ability to call on my power!'

OOC You have 75 hero points and 10 fate points. See the new game rules thread for how they work...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home... Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home...

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 14 2012, 12:38

"Mr. President," Anyman says trying to calm things down, "I have not yet received any communication with my country. This is the first I heard of anything like this. So I have no idea of what the Prime Minister has in mind."

"It is true that England once again rules the seas and now she rules the skies but Empire is a fading dream in our country. The Middle East. India. All are nearing the time of them becoming independent of British rule. Perhaps these ships have revived the idea of Empire again in some minds. Perhaps we have people who fear another war like what we just went through and are trying to protect themselves from another as bad. But give it time. Things will settle down as emotions go back to normal. I know I would not support enforced rule over the world and I control one of those ships and would use it and my powers to make sure that would not happen. I believe my fellow Vanguardians feel pretty much the same way."

He pauses as a new thought hits him.

"America, truthfully, felt nothing of this war. You got a little scare but did not feel a single real attack. There are people out there that need us."

He waves his arm to show that he means them all.

"There are people in death camps in Germany and occupied countries. There are ... allies in Death Camps that need us. They need food. They need medicines. They need water. They need protection from fanatical guards who may try to continue with their orders to exterminate these peoples or to do vile experimentation on them."

"Continue your negotiation with our Prime Minister. Avoid ultimatums and allow things to settle down. In the meantime, send your troops, send your supplies, send your newsmen and send your doctors to my ship. Let us go together to Europe and save these people and have recorded for all time what has happened to them. This may help everyone to understand what is going on and may help everyone understand everyone else's fears and feelings."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home... Empty Re: World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home...

Post  Admin Mon May 14 2012, 13:28

The president looked cheered by Anymans words but glanced to the others around the table.

One, a senator, spoke up "How can we trust you? Any of you? Did you know we received word today that our only superhuman codename Blocker died today on the firing range? His powers cut out, like that! We only heard an hour or so ago. It seems to me that you people, you limeys, have gotten a bite of the best cake there is, given us a taste then taken the rest of it off us. How can we trust anything you say or do? For all we know, a fleet of those things could be over Washington in the morning! How long will we watch the skies and wonder when its our turn to fall in line like the rest of the world? I for one will not stand by and watch you stamp your authority on the planet!" He stood and turned to the President "Sir, I have jobs to undertake, like telling Blockers next of kin his head was blown off because the superpowers the Limeys gave him suddenly and without warning cut out!"

The Senator left in a huff and the murmurings grew ever more discontented in the room.

'One of your Earth man scientists said 'to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'. The evidence is all about you.' rasped the Dark Power.

Anyman looked about. A fine reader of people, the hostility and bad feeling he got from this group of twenty or so seemed like the tip of an iceberg. Without going outside and looking at a newspaper, he could guess what the headlines would read - British have doomsday weapon and threaten to use it against us!

If it didn't read that, it soon would. These things tended to get out of hand very fast...

The President looked over at Anyman sadly. "You're free to leave son."

"It's not like we could stop him anyway..." said one of the Senators, embittered.

"And that's the point." said the President. "When man considers himself an equal, then he can turn to his fellow man and say 'you are not better than I, nor I you. Therefore we will live in peace, with the sure knowledge that we both lose if we go to war'." He removed his glassed and pinched his eyes. "That appears no longer to be the case..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 14 2012, 16:38

"Tell the President that we know of the atomic bomb that they are working on," Putty puts in. "A bomb that only they would have controlled if the aliens hadn't come and the timeline hadn't been messed up."

"What bomb," Anyman asks outloud. That stopped a few folks.

"America is working on an atomic bomb. A bomb big enough to wipe out entire cities. I think that in the original timeline they actually got it to work and used it to end the war. NO! wait. They didn't start working on the bomb until after they got into the war. Never mind," Putty says.Anyman looks a bit embarrassed.

"Sorry Mr. President. My future aspect was telling me that the United States, in the original timeline, had developed an Atomic Bomb powerful enough to wipe out entire cities. Then he realized you hadn't started that program yet since you haven't entered the war yet. Or were going to enter the war. You didn't enter until early December, 1941. Time tenses are confusing."

"In the original timeline, whatever the original timeline actually looks like, he said you used it to blow up some cities and force the war to end sooner than it would have if you hadn't used the Bomb. And the United States was the only country that had that bomb and could dictate whatever it wanted to the other countries of the world."

"I guess he was pointing out that it really depended on whose foot the shoe was on as to what was bad and what was good."

"Again, you have my assurance that I have no plans to use my ship to bludgeon the United States into doing whatever Britain might think about commanding. But I also say a certain amount of fear and a certain amount of military preparedness would not be out of line. America is woefully under-prepared for war. So you might want to see about changing that status."

"Good day, gentlemen."

Lt. Cmdr Lance Allard walks out of the Oval Office, changing into Anyman as he goes, hoping that hint would be enough for the Americans to start working on their bomb even sooner.

"Number One, contact the ship to come pick us up," he says to his robot First Officer. "We are heading to Europe to see what we can do to save the people in the death camps. If you have any information on the location of such camps, especially camps where they were working on their super soldier experiments, those are our first priority."

He strides out of the White House and then stops on the lawn, thinking and looking around. He strides across the lawn, heading for the front gate where gather some curious onlookers and reporters. Small trucks with camera men on the roofs for the news serials are there as well.

"I have an announcement to make," he tells the crowd in his loud orator's voice. "I am Anyman. If you will set up your microphones for your news films and radio, I will speak one time."

There is a hubbub and a waxing and waning of the crowd as they look at the trenchcoated, bandaged man and his female looking robot. There is confusion and hostility and fear and wonder in that crowd. The man from Mutual Broadcasting seemed to take charge and organize things. It takes awhile but finally a small stand of microphones are set up and sound tested. Anyman ignores all shouted questions while this is going on.

Finally, Anyman is signaled that he can speak. Cameras are cranking. Microphones on. Flashbulbs are popping.

"I am Anyman. That is my codename. I am one of the most powerful beings on this planet. I single-handedly stopped the entire invasion of the United States by the giant ships controlled by the robots, like this one. I took over that ship and I took control of the robots. They now serve me. The other ships that attacked America now lie in your Grand Canyon, burning hulks. A few robots might have survived and their mission is to destroy humanity. I do not control those robots. I have informed your President of this fact and I assume he is working on sending your Army out to destroy any robots who might have survived and might try kill any of the people living in that area."

"It is said that I destroyed Berlin a few months ago single-handedly. We allowed that story to stand to create fear in the German people's mind. The truth is I didn't destroy Berlin even though I was there when it happened. One of their own super men lost control of his powers and blew up that city."

"With this one ship," he says, as the massive ship shows up almost as if on cue, "I could wipe out your cities and destroy your military, if I chose to. This is a very frightening fact. And frightened people tend to react in anger in order to protect themselves and their loved ones. I do not chose to destroy cities. Nor do I intend to rule over anyone. I ask you not to fear me but I understand why you do."

"Yet with all that power in my hands, I come to you and ask now for your help. Europe needs the help of free peoples everywhere. There are numerous people in camps. Not just prisoner of war camps but death camps. Camps where the Nazis have used people are research animals. Killing and maiming people to try to gain more and more power. To create a master race of super men. These people are still dying as we speak."

"But. I have no proof of what I say. I ask now that the American press come with me to Europe. Take pictures. Interview survivors. Look for yourselves what has happened. Millions have died in this war, when the robots attacked, you need to see this for yourselves and show it to your people. This is a dangerous thing I ask you because I can not absolutely guarantee your safety."

"Food. Shelter. Medicines. Water. Doctors. Hospitals. All these things are needed in Europe. I can not wave my hand and fix these things on my own."

"You can so if you use my powers," the Dark Voice says in his head.

"Shut it," Putty says in reply. "That power is for emergencies only. Where the need is so great is outweighs the possible destruction of everything around us.

"I can not fix these things on my own and no one can make all these things appear at once."

"Yes yo ...,"

"Shut it!"

"So I ask for your Red Cross to help us. To help all of Europe. I will land my ship on the coast away from Washington DC. To the south of the city. I will wait one hour for anyone or any reporter who wishes to come to Europe with me to help those people and save more lives. Reporters to report what they find."

"In the meantime, I am hoping that your Red Cross will start the massive campaign to help Europe. Currently, your government is a bit leery of England. I understand that. And if they decide to not let my ship back into their sovereign territory, which I understand if they do not want it here, then I will go to Canada and work with the Red Cross through that country."

"That is all I have to save but one last thing. May God Bless Us All!"

intentions: Got to be more P'utarnarians left alive in some camps. As well as the various death camps. Get there, find them through whatever records still might exist or sensors the ship has to find these places and help those people.

Also while waiting that hour, try to get in touch with the other Vanguardians, after all the other ships are under their control, and find out what's going on in England and where they stand. Let them know of this change in people's emotions.

Since America's federal government is a lot weaker than it is today. It took WW2 to make DC grow from a small city to a huge city of government agencies. Going straight to the people for help is still the best way to sway emotions.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 14 2012, 23:17

OOC Excellent post. I'll respond when I can (just getting ready for work) but will put into action the points you suggest. After the all out combat and warring going on in the last few issues, I figured you guys might want to flex your mind muscles, and it looks like I was right Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 15 2012, 11:12

The sound of bulbs popping was almost drowned out by the sound of jaws dropping as the vast ship appeared 'on cue'. Soldiers looked twitchy, unsure of what their guns would do (answer:nothing) against the huge vessel which filled the sky over the White House, casting a deep dark shadow.

Anyman said his piece, then heard the inner voice 'I can taste their fear. Delicious.'

One reporter stepped forward "New York Tribune, Dan Garrity. I'll go with you, limey. An exclusive will sell out newspapers for weeks!"

Another looked at the reporter, then hollered "The hell with that! You ain't gettin' all the action yourself Garrity! I'm up for that! Joe Stephens, Chicago times!"

More voices cried out, then the pushing and shoving started. Scuffles broke out and shouting turned to insults turned to flying fists! The police blew their whistles, then charged in to break up the melee.

Number One stepped up alongside Anyman. "Your people have no hope of survival. Their instinct to survive and better one another shall eventually see the destruction or subjugation of the human race. It might not be the Robo army that does it now, but it will be an alien race, or perhaps mankind will turn upon itself."

'Your toy has a point' rasped the Dark Shadow. 'Another thing to consider is this. When your friend, the mortal Joe Hoskyn, used the dark power to eradicate fear and despair in Britain, where do you suppose the Dark Shadows went? Look around you. No, human... I said look...'

Anyman turned, annoyed, then stopped.

In the shadows cast by the Robo Carrier he saw the faintest of movements within the shadows themselves. A slightly darker patch, moving to touch a person here, there. And it wasn't alone. The Shadow Demons had not left the Earth. They'd simply gone elsewhere for their sustenance when Frostbite had closed it off to them! Anyman considered the problem. Until there was some way to completely seal off the world from the Shadow Demons, it was clear that by moving the problem from one country to another, they would increase the new countries problems no end! He watched as Police dragged reporters off each other, then someone hit a policeman, and the fights started up with renewed vigour...

=========

A shining silver sphere, the size of a house, floated down from the Robo carrier...

It expanded, unfolded, into a plane like vessel, the parts neatly sliding out from the featureless mirror like sphere to form a shining sleek plane like craft that sat on the grass of a park in Washington. More spheres rolled out, tumbling into robotic forms that were humanoid in shape. Dozens of them, they took up station around the craft and waited whilst Anyman, and what remained of the press entourage that shouted questions at him, strode across to it. Finally, the throng was too much, and Number one morphed into a flying jet sled, taking off smoothly when Anyman stepped aboard and soaring over the streets to come down within the boundary of the robotic guards, who stood motionless but politely asked anyone getting too close to move back. Once more soldiers gathered, assessing the threat. Anyman shook his head, then strode on board, following Number One as she morphed into a human like form again.

The robot turned, speaking "Communications have been established with the V-Ship in London. Currently the command and field personnel of your organisation designation: Vanguard, are indisposed, but an agent designation: Peeler 6, Benjamin Bailey, is in the position of authority onboard the craft"

OOC in the interests of getting everyone in the same place at the same we'll assume its morning here and afternoon in London when the meeting is taking place. once the others get out of the meeting with Churchill they can converse with Anyman...

Number one looked at a reading on another panel. Inside the ship there were no operators, simply screens and panels for information simply for Anymans benefit. "It appears the German metahumans have gathered in numbers and intend to assault the Robo Carrier over Berlin. They are currently 'stood down' but will retaliate if attacked...Your colleague, designation: Frostbite, is in command of all other vessels. All we can do is communicate with them."

'She' turned to another panel. "Scanners indicate a large contingent of vehicles heading to this location. They have an insignia matching that of the 'red cross' you specified. Scanners indicate one vehicle has a large cache of explosives hidden under the floor of the trailed section."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 15 2012, 12:29

"Move us to the beach," Anyman ordered. "Where I told the press and the Red Cross I would wait. We will deal with the bomb inside that truck out there, assuming it gets there."

"And contact the Peeler in charge of the ship there to relay a message to my fellow Vanguardians. The message is "the Shadows haven't left, they moved all over the world, causing fear, hatred and violence."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 15 2012, 12:46

The vast vessel cruised over the skies of Washington and took up a holding position over the beach.

Putty, the P'utinarian from the future, offered his insight 'The Americans don't trust you, and are probably right to be wary. I think this is an 'insurance policy' rather than an attack. They must know how futile attacking the vessel is, but if one were to get enough explosives to the ships innards? Then it could cause a problem.'

Anyman considered that. His future counterpart could be right there - the defences of the Robo Carrier were centred on repelling external attacks and maintaining hull integrity. That said, it had taken a vast measure of superhuman strength to damage a robo carrier. He doubted even a truck full of explosives would scratch it, inside or out.

Number one turned. "What arrangements would you like to make for the seven Red Cross vehicles and the vehicle scanned and found to be suspect? What rights and privileges will be afforded them on the ship? The vessel will reconfigure itself internally to your specifications."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 15 2012, 21:56

Number one turned. "What arrangements would you like to make for the seven Red Cross vehicles and the vehicle scanned and found to be suspect? What rights and privileges will be afforded them on the ship? The vessel will reconfigure itself internally to your specifications."

"Are those explosives powerful enough to do any serious damage to the ship," Anyman asks. [ooc: I will assume the answer lies somewhere between none and very minor easily repaired damage]

"Okay then. Place the bomb truck in its own ... um ... hanger, away from any potential weak spots and away from any people that might be hurt by the explosive. Can you tell if it is on a timer or has to be detonated by hand?"

"Put the other vehicles together in their own hanger. Build some living quarters and a mess hall. Do we have enough food on board to feed everyone? If not, let's see about scooping up some fish on our way to Europe and store them properly so we can eat that. Probably need that extra food for the folks in Europe we will be helping out. We will probably need a lot of hospital facilities too."

"No one will be allowed to roam around the ship unescorted. Assign a humanoid robot to each person to act as guide/guard and information source. Deny them access to any areas that are dangerous to life. Deny access to the bomb truck once it is stored away. Let me know which humans were in that vehicle," Anyman continues to order.

"No one allowed on the Bridge unless I permit. They are welcome to approach the Bridge and ask permission to enter but let them know it may be denied. No one in my quarters unless I permit it. No handing out blueprints or any documents about the running or powering of this ship. No access to the armory. Prevent any acts of sabatage but try to do it with least amount of force, not harming, if possible, the person doing it."

"If they have guns with them, allow them to keep them, letting them know we know that they have them and are allowing them to keep them. Any other explosives or poison gases or any other kind of dangerous biological weapon is to be confiscated, with the least amount of force, trying to avoid harming them."

"Some of these reporters will probably be phonies. Actually will be spies for the government or the military. That's fine. We want them here. If you do discover that they are phoney reporters, let me know and let them know that we know but we still welcome them here."

"Um ... maybe some lounges with big windows where they can see outside at what is going on. But windows that can be protected and armored over if we are attacked. Their safety is important to us."

"What else? Perhaps some extra living spaces for folks who lost all their homes and have no place to live. How many people can we put on this ship, assuming an 8x10 room to live in per person? Oh! And set up a safe area and show everyone how to get to it, in case we get in a fight with the remaining Nazi supermen, extra shielding and armor for that area."

ooc: After this, he will contact the Vanguard - So I will move that over to the other list
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 16 2012, 21:51

The robotic companion stood impassive as Anyman reeled off his demands. "Preparations are underway now. The ship is being reconfigured to house, on a short term basis, up to 5,000 refugees, and a thousand on a long term basis. Suggest we appropriate foodstuffs and the means to grow them. The ship can be configured to provide intensified growing conditions and can genetically modify the plants to increase the yield, taste, and texture. The vessel can run from a number of power sources and will remain powered indefinitely in sunlight as the entirety of the deck converts to solar panels. If you so require, the ship can make arrangements to create a flesh like covering for your robotic crew. Perhaps that would put the 'guests' at ease. We will restrict access as you state, but this unit predicts few will be able to take advantage of any knowledge they glean from the ships systems. Consoles and panels shall be reconfigured to provide information only, with voice commands being restricted to level 1 clearance information, the most basic."

She turned to the screen showing the incoming trucks and cars following in a long line and zoomed in on the suspect vehicle. "The explosives are not sufficient to cause harm to the ship now that the field can be reconfigured to exceed its explosive output based on our estimates. All guests shall be biometrically scanned and tracked. At maximum efficient velocity we should be over European airspace in a day. By depleting the batteries the vessel can travel at a speed approaching mach 2 at high velocity and shave the travelling time down to hours, at your behest"

Number One turned back to the screen "Your kind seem to find it easier to mistrust one another and given time, will make war on their fellow man. It was by taking advantage of this weakness the Robotic Army was able to conquer humanity. That future will not now come to pass. Prediction of future events..."

There was silence, then a moment later "Data unavailable."

Anyman looked to the skies. The next threat he felt would come from the stars. When, where, and in what form, he wasn't sure. All he knew was that right now, he would be the only power on Earth that had any chance of standing up to it!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed May 16 2012, 22:11

"Let's not drain our batteries," Anyman decides. "It will give us time to get to know our guests and vice versa. As to flesh covering ... ask the individual guest to their preferences as we want them comfortable or at least calm as possible with us."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 19 2012, 02:52

OOC continued from This thread...

"As if we haven't got enough problems" said Beth as she slumped into a chair. "This 'devourer' getting ever closer, intergalactic empires squabbling over our moon, and now the real prospect of being bombarded by the remains of that moon as it crashes into the Earth!" she laughed, without humour "you couldn't make this stuff up. Oh, and we're fighting a world war too."

Lionheart nodded, though he was studing the alien fleet. From the looks of things, their largest vessels dwarfed the Robo Carriers, and he had no reason to doubt that they possessed enough firepower to flatten most civilised areas on Earth. Only the threat of retaliation by the Vanguard held them back from taking what they wanted! Where did that leave him? He was just one man, albeit powerful. If the Vanguard weren't around, he'd be the most powerful man on Earth, but he was ranged against powers which dwarfed his! It was all a long way away from policing the streets of future England, in domed overcrowded cities and the sterile harshness of a ruthless justice system. He'd been the joker, the time waster, always said to never amount to anything. Instead he was here, and his future no longer existed. Or it might do, just not in this timeline. The time line thing made his head spin - he'd goofed around in classes when temporal mechanics turned up. Bentham and Trowers, and who knows who else, hadn't. He wondered where they were...

=========

"We haven't much time. Will this work?" asked Damon Trowers

He was stood in a workshop whilst Claude Bentham and dozens of Skrall technicians worked on a metal framework several metres across. Bentham looked up. "Don't you have something else to do? Like organise the Nazis into some kind of coherence?"

Both men were about to break out into an argument when the measured steps of another man entered the room. He silenced the pair of them with his presence. "The plan, to create a future utopia by remaking the past, has failed." he said, looking at both men. "Whilst I appreciate both of your efforts, the 'x factor' in all of this, which could not be predicted" he glanced at Bentham "the so called 'Vanguard' has left any hope of success in tatters. The best we can do is hope that another time hop will take us to a reality where we might be successful."

President John Farrington sat in a chair, staring at the two men who'd formed part of his inner circle. The man credited with restoring peace and bringing hope to the people of Britain after decades of anarchy and darkness knew his dream was shattered. The future from which they'd come would have collapsed, in months rather than years. The resentment had been growing, the real probability of nuclear holocaust raised its head again, hence his ambitious plan to plant a seed in the past that would create Utopia in the future.
World War II - The Vanguard Issue #11 Long way from home... Judge_dredd_480x270

"Time travel brings its own problems. We come from a future that no longer exists. We came into a past where our knowledge and experience allowed us to manipulate events that saw an alliance with several alien races, to change the fortunes of the Nazi regime and win the war, and set in motion a series of practises that would see the future of man secured, once the gene pool had been perfected. We would wake in the future in new superhuman bodies, immortal and invulnerable, and lead mankind into a golden age of discovery and self enlightenment. out there, amongst the stars." he shrugged "90% of the worlds population would have to die to make the dream a reality, but the remaining 10% would be truly as gods, without want or need, and we would subjugate others to do our bidding, to raise mankind as the ultimate force in the universe. A grand dream, considering the oblivion mankind faced. Now? Ashes."

Trowers waited a moment, then spoke up "Sir, we can still win this! Another time, another place...?"

Farrington smiled. "The Vanguard. What of them? A group of superhumans that crossed time to thwart us, what is to stop them? Their power and abilities are so far above us we are as gnats! Why, even with the Nazis forging their own deal with these so called 'Shadow Demons', its clear that the Vanguard have, or will soon, stop them."

Trowers sat back, uneasy. Farringtons vision had been grand, epic, sweeping. Everything had been going to plan, now? Claude Bentham pondered, then spoke up. "There may be a way to salvage this." He spread a slow smile across his face.

=========

The V-Ship turned, landing at the location of the refugees and the Vanguard

As the ramp lowered, the Vanguard said their farewells to Anyman, for now. His quest to free all P'utinarians, everywhere, would involve battles with the Nazis, but the Dark power meant the odds were in his favour. A peeler, Jonna Croft (peeler 58) stepped off the ramp and called out "All aboard! Let's get this...oh." she quietened when she saw how many people were spread across the plain. "We don't have room for them!"

OOC Are you heading for Lionhearts ship in orbit, or wanting to find out what happened to Nowhere Boy?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 19 2012, 07:28

Admin wrote:OOC Are you heading for Lionhearts ship in orbit, or wanting to find out what happened to Nowhere Boy?

Frostbite waved a hand as if to draw Peeler 58's attention back to them..."That isn't our concern right now, we are going to meet up with Lionheart and take on our unwelcome visitors." Frostbite said, his dark look underscored his intent.

Once aboard the ship, Frostbite reached out to Nowhere Boy, he suspected that he, like Sentinel and himself had, had his powers dramatically reduced, but he was still able to be empowered. Frostbite wanted to fill him in and if necessary prepare him by sending a second V ship to get him.

OOC:
Ok so lets make best speed to the armada. Once we get there I'd like to take a tactical analysis of the ships, if we go for an assault - unlikely, I'm more likely to get myself and Sentinel to use Probability Manipulation simultaneously to shut down their ships or infect them with the Frostbot Virus or something, so that they can't lunch a pre-emptive strike at us. But I want to make sure that if that is done, their Star Guard don't then, themselves try and attack us, or if they do we're ready for it. In any such case consider the liberal use of hero points to succeed a necessity. But we might want to get that report first!

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Tue Jun 19 2012, 10:29

OOC: Just to say guys how much i've enjoyed your last few posts, makes for some seriously brillant reading......i'm being honest and not kissing ass

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 20 2012, 23:23

The V-Ship powered through the atmosphere, smoothly and surely tackling Earths gravity and venturing into the blue yonder of the upper ionosphere in minutes!

Then the Vanguardians felt it.

Sentinel looked up from where he was making a seamless weld on a support beam in one of the ships corridors, flanked by half a dozen Skrall technicians who looked on in admiration after an hour of fruitless repair work. Now they saw him stand, look about in the corridor, and start slowly, then run, back towards the bridge!

The Skrall technicians watched him go, then shrugged and unpacked their welding gear again. The human was powerful, and useful - this support beam that ran across the corridor was vital to the structural rigidity of the ship and cracks had been noticed that widened with every flight. They would repair it, and the weld would hold - for a while, then split again. Where Sentinel had welded, it would never split, only he'd rushed off and left the job half finished!

=========

Frostbite was on the bridge, running through potential strategies when he heard the distant scream in his mind!

He sagged against a chair, and a Peeler looked up, asking "Sir? Are you alright? You look..." a pause, then "Pale blue"

Sentinel ran onto the bridge, and Frostbite looked over at his colleague. Their eyes met and both knew despair! The Dark Power, called upon one time too often, had broken free of Anymans iron willed control and was about to run amok on Earth! Countless thousands, millions even, of people would perish!

OOC continue on to the fleet or try to act as damage limitation to Anymans anti-Axis energy wave, which promises to devastate Germany, Italy and Japan, as well as other minor countries and anyone across the world with an affiliation to the nazi cause!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 21 2012, 07:14

Admin wrote:OOC continue on to the fleet or try to act as damage limitation to Anymans anti-Axis energy wave, which promises to devastate Germany, Italy and Japan, as well as other minor countries and anyone across the world with an affiliation to the nazi cause!

OOC:
Oh boy always new this could happen, but assumed with the effort/heroic point mechanic we were safe. Such a shame its Dave's Character again as well.

I guess all of the following options you'd consider table talk, the sorts of things we are players would be thinking through, talking about and offering up for discussion with the DM present as we tried to narrow down our options, so please don't take them as read, but as the DM your opinions would be being sort if we were at the table with you right now over these ideas?

1. What are the chances that the shadow demons would listen to reason, i.e. you've come onboard with us in defiance of you own people and despite our puny ways - so why now go you're own way? Help us stop this, though wrong, doesn't mean people won't come to an understanding of the truth etc.

2. If the Shadow Demons refuse to see that point of view, or more importantly if getting their help willingly is barking up the wrong tree, then its fight fire with fire? Is there some way we could equally redirect the energy wave out to space and the oncoming fleet. Again I'm hoping that it will serve as a warning, after all they broke the agreement?

3. Presumably Nowhere Boy knows about this also, could he not get nearer to teleport and using the obvious distress re-power up and so help us fight this thing?

4. OK final line of attack, desperation, we know that if we die, the Devourer will win - which is bad for even those we host, so if we put ourselves in harms way, we threaten their very existence and so force them to help us, beyond that which they might otherwise be prepared to do.

5. Oh one other thought, if none of these work, then the alternative is to do what Anyman was trying to do and teleport as many of the people away? Sort of make them blink out, wave walks by, blink back in. I know we might not be able to save everyone, but if we loose it their dead anyway, at least this way we can try and mitigate the destruction the wave is going to cause.

All of these 'options' are really me trying to think - help how do we cover this in the rules? Not sure what else to offer really...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jun 21 2012, 08:11

"Nooooo..." sentinel said with utter horror in his voice then a sudden falling sensation like something inside him grabbed his gut then thrown down a deep well with him still attached for he knew all to well what the dark ones could offer. His mind instantly threw back to the time in space when he had been gripped by the dark powers that promised him everything but it wasnt truely him in control it was almost like some kind of outter body experience if such a thing ever existed.

OOC: Damn there goes the big gun. I think theres no way we can stop him quickly enough to save everyone in time so I'm up for finishing what anyman started and try to teleport them 'out' even if its only for a few seconds. Who can we round up other than nowhere boy to aid us?

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 21 2012, 14:10

Steeple_jackuk wrote:

OOC:
Oh boy always new this could happen, but assumed with the effort/heroic point mechanic we were safe. Such a shame its Dave's Character again as well.

Yup, letting the dice decide these things has gone for you for what, a couple of years with the Dark power mechanics? Aside from one disaster (in the mystical land of Albion) on the whole you've 'gotten away with it'. Normally I would simply wake Anyman up to the complete and utter devastation his dark side inflicts, but with him having gotten some experience with using and controlling the Dark power, he has a slim (very slim) chance of directing that force and fury in a direction that might do less damage.

I guess all of the following options you'd consider table talk, the sorts of things we are players would be thinking through, talking about and offering up for discussion with the DM present as we tried to narrow down our options, so please don't take them as read, but as the DM your opinions would be being sort if we were at the table with you right now over these ideas?

1. What are the chances that the shadow demons would listen to reason, i.e. you've come onboard with us in defiance of you own people and despite our puny ways - so why now go you're own way? Help us stop this, though wrong, doesn't mean people won't come to an understanding of the truth etc.

The Shadow Demon inside of you is basically a ticking time bomb. You skirt around it by using hero points and hoping that it doesn't go off with lousy rolls and its been fine thus far. When it does go off, there's no getting around the fact - it won't be dissuaded, because its like a force of (evil) nature. It sees you guys doing good deeds and saving lives, but when unleashed it gets to do the things its evil nature wants to do when you do otherwise. The only way to really deflect its attentions elsewhere might be to give it another target where it can inflict even more damage...

2. If the Shadow Demons refuse to see that point of view, or more importantly if getting their help willingly is barking up the wrong tree, then its fight fire with fire? Is there some way we could equally redirect the energy wave out to space and the oncoming fleet. Again I'm hoping that it will serve as a warning, after all they broke the agreement?

Fighting fire with fire... Sentinel, Frostbite and Nowhere Boy could combine their dark power (assuming all keep it under control. If another one goes crazy, the results could be cataclysmic!) to try to protect or limit their brethren's rage. The Dark power inside of those three won't be happy but with the Vanguard under control, they won't have much choice. Nowhere Boy cannot call on the Dark Power at the moment and his whereabouts are unknown (but the Dark Power could easily help you find him). As for directing the energy wave... it's not the sort of thing that will miss. If you redirect it, it will strike, and destroy or at least badly damage whatever it hits. The possible exceptions are the Devourer, the single most powerful sentient force in the universe that anyone knows about, and planetary bodies. The only limits to the Dark Power are the negative emotions it can draw on. If everyone on Earth was panicking and crying out in terror, that'd be more power than it could usually utilise. If an entire star empire were in fear of losing their lives, that would be dozens of billions of souls to feed from, then you'd see some real fireworks...

3. Presumably Nowhere Boy knows about this also, could he not get nearer to teleport and using the obvious distress re-power up and so help us fight this thing?

You'd need to help him. He has the power of a Lore Knight, above street level but on the lower scale of superhuman ability. Once he gets the Dark Power back, he's better able to control it that the rest of you but more reluctant to use it because of all his multiple lives and disasters that he's been a part of.

4. OK final line of attack, desperation, we know that if we die, the Devourer will win - which is bad for even those we host, so if we put ourselves in harms way, we threaten their very existence and so force them to help us, beyond that which they might otherwise be prepared to do.

All you know of the Devourer is what Alien races have said. It's on its way to destroy the Earth. If it does that the Shadow Demons will die in their millions and turn on one another. They offered a truce of sorts, an alliance, and it was turned down flat (I can dig out the issue I think, but it was Anyman who gave them the refusal if I recall? Would have to check.) That boat has sailed, but if you were to offer something they couldn't refuse... a planet of their own to feed from, the Earth for 40 days and nights to sate their hunger for fear and terror... suffice to say that it wouldn't be something the People of Earth would happily agree to...

5. Oh one other thought, if none of these work, then the alternative is to do what Anyman was trying to do and teleport as many of the people away? Sort of make them blink out, wave walks by, blink back in. I know we might not be able to save everyone, but if we loose it their dead anyway, at least this way we can try and mitigate the destruction the wave is going to cause.

There is an alternative, and you've touched on it already. You know the Shadow Demons draw on negative emotions (fear, rage, terror, anger, panic etc) for their sustenance and their power. Remove that, and they have nothing to feed from, and nothing to give in terms of Dark Power. If the Earth were a heavenly place full of peace, love and hope, it'd be no place for the Shadow Demons to exist. Of course, there'd not be much point in having superheroes either, but its a possible solution for Planet Earth, and you have the power - when you combine your abilities to do it. An alternative would be to simply leave this planet, or go through time to another era, and hope that removing your presence removes the problem. Time travel is a messy thing. You have 'fixed' things by thwarting - and possibly now wiping out all knowledge of the Nazis and their allies from the face of human history. In doing so there are other problems to fix. Aliens, Lunarium, the world knowing that a small group of British Based superheroes has the power to save or destroy the world as they see fit, and the Devourer, which is the next issue, coming soon. The problems that brings will bring this campaign to a head and decide on which way the game continues... if there is anything left to continue with!

All of these 'options' are really me trying to think - help how do we cover this in the rules? Not sure what else to offer really...

Golden Heroes, being a wild mix of street-mid level supers, isn't the ideal way of doing things. The Lore Knights rules (based on the DC heroes game) have a range of stats, powers and abilites from 1 (child, old) upwards to 10 (superhuman) and up (20, god like, 30 cosmic power and so on). We're not using those yet (for this game) but with all the house rules we use for this, we're not really using GH either just a mish mash. Bear in mind that I'm on your side, so won't let lousy dice really muck things up. Instead they'll make things trickier Smile

Sj
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 21 2012, 16:26

OOC:
Since Dave has yet to reply to your comments, i'll hold off any thoughts of my own, not least of all because I need to think about this. I must admit this is where I'd prefer to do this over G+ or something, sitting agonising over what to post and how to put it and if there is an alternative we'd not thought off, is so much harder (and time consuming) that just bantering around a table or over a video link. We should look into getting everyone together for a session over G+/Skype or something.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 21 2012, 18:22

Steeple_jackuk wrote:OOC:
Since Dave has yet to reply to your comments, i'll hold off any thoughts of my own, not least of all because I need to think about this. I must admit this is where I'd prefer to do this over G+ or something, sitting agonising over what to post and how to put it and if there is an alternative we'd not thought off, is so much harder (and time consuming) that just bantering around a table or over a video link. We should look into getting everyone together for a session over G+/Skype or something.

Sj

OOC heh, that'd be a miracle in itself. Schedules, kids, other half wondering why you're sat about when there's <list of household jobs to do>. I did try AD&D 2e over a voice and window chat (probably MSN or something like that) back in the day but over a 56k modem or whatever I used back then it was laughable, but not in a funny way Sad I suppose the 100mb I use these days will be better, but it's years since I owned a webcam, so don't know if they are any better or not. Or is G+ a live chat thing? Maybe something we should take OOC
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 22 2012, 07:08

Frostbite

Could feel the weight of the world on his shoulders, his newly empowered symbiote was all attention as well as it watched its own unleash power that it, to longed to unleash as well. Frostbite, by shear force of will kept it in check - but not easily.

Then he saw what Anyman was proposing, a kill or be killed scenario, to unleash the power against the empire that threatened all life on their planet, by destroying but a part of their great empire. Dismissing thoughts of what that might lead to and the thought of how many creatures might be wiped out in the wake of such destruction, Frostbite was lead to one inevitable conclusion. In this war, in this campaign of destruction, they the Vanguard had far outstripped the Nazi's in destructive capability, had it really come to this that they were now the real enemies in this war?

The thought took ahold of Frostbite's mind, sharp and accusatory. But he wasn't about to dissolve into a puddle of tears, right now he had to hold it together to see what Anyman would do, to see what indeed he could do to aid his friend and avoid almost certain catastrophe in one form or another.

OOC:
Ok not sure if letting a star empire fall is a great idea, when compared to letting us pay the price for playing with fire. But they were warned and choose to ignore it. I am not sure what I can do in the midst of all this to stop Anyman, I'm personally not sure if we'd be better of letting those who sided with the Nazi's going? Rather than the collateral damage of billions who serve an empire in which they probably have little say. At least one can draw a straight line from the supporters of the Nazi's to their actions and they cannot be held innocent in the same way? But since we've lost control its all a mute point anyway - not sure what is going to happen.

Sj
Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 22 2012, 14:10

Frostbite, Sentinel and everyone else on the ship had been tossed about like driftwood on a wild sea when the vast energy beam had spewed out from the Earth and stretched into the stars! The systems and lights flickered, everyone - even the Skrall technicians - felt shocked and fearful, and the ship tumbled slowly. It powered up moments later and the phenomena remained, a beam miles across, and wide, and stretching into infinity! Dark lightning played across its surface, and played havoc with the ships systems. Several Robo Carriers in orbit ventured too close, and lightning arced out, slicing through the vast vessels as if they were made of wet paper!

The Vessel with Lionheart aboard was tumbling, smoking and partially destroyed. Lionheart woke with a groan and saw the bridge was in ruins for the most part, with wires and panels on fire, the crew unconscious or dead, and the ship adrift in space! He remembered a split second before, when he felt something wrong, and had used all his speed to slam a hand on the navigation panel to fire thrusters to get them out of the path of the beam. Even so, he'd almost been too late! The V-Ship was missing its left had side, exposed to space, and the safety systems had tried to seal the massive breaches as best the could! The systems were down, alarms only partially blaring, and he heard the unmistakable sound of air hissing into vacuum. Beth was nowhere to be seen.

On board the second V-Ship Sentinel said "Look!"

The alien fleet had been scythed down the middle, with only the ships to the left and right remaining, and those badly damaged, drifting!

On one of the few remaining sensors, it registered the beam as being beyond any ability to measure.

=========

It changed course... picked up its pace...

Trillions, countless, minds formed into a coherent whole, measuring and analysing the power emanating from the now much closer solar system.

It was time to devour...

OOC and its nearly time to enter the final chapter of the World War II scenario. The nazis are finished, as is the Star League. Everywhere galactic empires will have seen what happened, and so did the Devourer. You still have a mess to get out of (drifting in space) but once that is done...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Jun 22 2012, 17:56

Admin wrote:Lionheart The systems were down, alarms only partially blaring, and he heard the unmistakable sound of air hissing into vacuum. Beth was nowhere to be seen.

Frostbite wondered out loud, "What has he done!"

But he really didn't have to ask, it was just the thought that suddenly unnumbered sentient beings had been snuffed out. But then a thought struck him, stabbing a finger out and thankful for the distraction of matters at hand he said, "Scan for other V ships, Lionheart and his crew were up here, make best course for their last known destination."

Frostbite wondered if anything could have survived that blast.

Meanwhile Lionheart was doing his best to keep body and soul together. He'd already placed a force field around himself to preserve as much air as possible, before looking about for an emergency suit. He had to wonder how many others of the crew had survived and what, if they had, their condition was.

OOC:
Ok so whilst Frostbite and Sentinel go try to find Lionheart, Lionheart will do his best to keep himself alive and look for other crew that he might be able to help or rescue.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 22 2012, 23:12

Silver Sentinel was shell shocked, but still able to effect near instant repairs to the ship to the superstructure and prevent any more ruptures in the hold. Frostbite ordered it to start a sweep pattern with what sensors were available.

Near space was littered with the debris of the destroyed or badly damaged Star league vessels, and it was clear whatever plans they had were fruitless now.

"Sir" coughed a Peeler, wiping blood from his face as a cut ran freely down his face into his eyes. "We're being hailed"

Sparks popped from the console, and the screen, cracked and split, flickered into life. A blue skinned officer stood on the bridge of one of the remaining vessels and spoke in an alien tongue. He/it was wounded, and in the background there was a lot of smoke. Some cross beams had fallen from the ceiling of the bridge and there was a fire burning, being tackled by a number of crew members.

After a moment or two, he spoke again, this time in English. "...repeat, we surrender. Do not open fire again, we implore you!"

"Sir!" Frostbite heard over the comms from the alien bridge "Outstations Akasa and Xeno are silent. Our messages aren't pinging from them."

"The message buoys?"

"Functioning, but there's no signal dilation. It's like... the Outstations are gone."

Another voice spoke up "try the longreach platforms. Get in touch with En'Karr prime. Tell them the Earthmen have a weapon that our shields cannot repel." he turned back to the viewscreen "We surrender, but you have not heard the last of this, Earthman. The Star League views an attack on its fleets as an act of war! That said, we are in no position to fight such a war and so by the edicts of the 93rd Galactic conference treaty on the fair treatment of prisoners, we will power down and present ourselves when you board, weapons downed. Understand that we will be making running repairs. Your blast destroyed a large portion of our fleet, including the flagship. Our own ship lost more than a dozen decks. We await your arrival."

The screen winked off.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Jun 22 2012, 23:23

His forcefield protected him from the hard vacuum of space as Lionheart stood where the sickbay should have been. The walls and ceiling in this section of the ship were exposed to space, and the force field emitters that should have sealed the room were down. Air leaked from dozens of ruptured pipes, adn fluids crystallised as they spewed into the void.

There were a number of dead Skrall technicians in here.

Suddenly a light, like a will o the wisp, flitted from outside the ship through the gaps in the hull and danced between the sparking wires and jutting torn metal of the superstructure. This V-Ship would never survive re-entry, and with too many holes to plug, it would only be a matter of time before the sections with air that were still sealed ran out!

The light coalesced into the shapely form of Beth Carter. "Richard!" she said, leaning in to hug him. She felt all too real, though Lionheart knew her form was artificial, a solid light construct. She pulled back, looking around. "The ship is a mess. There is extensive damage, and one of the engines is destroyed. I don't know if the other will fire - it might explode rather than propel the ship. It's just as bad out there. The Alien fleet is in tatters. The ships that remain are crippled, and space is fill with debris. Believe it or not, I think the moon might be our best bet. How ..." she looked about at the V-Ship "How strong are you? Can you fly with this ship, get it to the Nazis moon base?"

Lionheart was about to answer when a shiver went down his spine! He moved Beth gently to the side and looked out the hole in the ship, seeing only darkness. Then he looked up, at the hole in the ceiling and subsequent holes in the two upper decks, which had mostly been ripped away!

A chunk of a destroyed ship, still burning on one side, with exposed decks and spewing debris including bodies, tumbled steadily towards the V-Ship... His mind did a quick calculation. The thing was about the size of the largest aircraft carrier - even if it missed the V-Ship which didn't seem likely, it would make a hell of an impact when it struck the Earth!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next