The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back"

3 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back" - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back"

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 21 2023, 03:22

"Radioactive material is not usually explosive by itself," Miss Victory, bio-chemist, tells Lionheart. "So that glob of whatever SHOULDN'T explode, unless they have somehow changed its nature. You need a violent explosive force to cause the atoms to split up and explode. Can we somehow grab it, have you since you are faster, dash away a few dozen miles and chuck into some kind of hiding place and then come back to deal with them?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back" - Page 5 Empty Re: The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back"

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 21 2023, 11:13

DavidMcMahon wrote:"Radioactive material is not usually explosive by itself," Miss Victory, bio-chemist, tells Lionheart.  "So that glob of whatever SHOULDN'T explode, unless they have somehow changed its nature.  You need a violent explosive force to cause the atoms to split up and explode.  Can we somehow grab it, have you since you are faster, dash away a few dozen miles and chuck into some kind of hiding place and then come back to deal with them?"

Lionheart thought about this,

OOC: Can I get a read as to what might be going on? If Miss V is right, and I can just grab things and run for it I could try. However, my feeling is that they would be fast as well. But in any case if it could be as simple as grab, run and then return, I'm game - what would my collective senses, intelligence and gut tell us?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 02 2023, 20:12

LIONHEART and MISS VICTORY

Lionheart shifted his internal energy to boost his genius level intellect to 'off the chart' levels, even for a Superhuman!

OOC

Power Reserve 15 split 8 to Int, 7 to Will

Int 18/Will 14

Int 18 + 2d12+0 4,4+0 = 8 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 1,9+0 = 18 (36) vs
OV 12 + Unskilled penalty (Scholar or Scientist) 4 + 2d12+0 6,5+0 = 11 (27)

Success +4

Will 14 + 4 (EV18) vs RV 16=2 RAPs

1) The Creatures are seeking to make the missile 'smart' so that it denotates according to their whim, and cannot be controlled by outside interference
2-3) They intend to do this by splitting off part of their unique form into something that controls all of the rocket/missile major systems and making it a 'smart' bomb, able to reach anywhere in North America and explode with the power sufficient to decimate any American city! New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles... the list goes on! in effect the Nuclear Missile becomes a 'living' bomb and able to avoid threats that a conventional missile would fall prey to!

The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back" - Page 5 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back" - Page 5 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Oct 05 2023, 13:52

Admin wrote:LIONHEART and MISS VICTORY

Lionheart shifted his internal energy to boost his genius level intellect to 'off the chart' levels, even for a Superhuman!

OOC

1) The Creatures are seeking to make the missile 'smart' so that it denotates according to their whim, and cannot be controlled by outside interference
2-3) They intend to do this by splitting off part of their unique form into something that controls all of the rocket/missile major systems and making it a 'smart' bomb, able to reach anywhere in North America and explode with the power sufficient to decimate any American city! New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles... the list goes on! in effect the Nuclear Missile becomes a 'living' bomb and able to avoid threats that a conventional missile would fall prey to!

After taking a moment to explain the situation to Miss V, Lionheart waited for her to process the news. He knew she was smart, and though this might not be her field she may also have deduced as much for herself. But the issue was going to be, what to do with the information. Possibly, he thought, it might be easier to attack if they have divested themselves in part into the warheads. But then they may also have a fight on two fronts, the missiles and the menace before them.

Time was also against them. They had to strike, and soon or else these robotic puppets and their master would have the world in its palm. Lionheart was all for hit-and-run tactics, doing anything to stop them, even if possible taking what they had come for if such a thing was possible.

OOC: I think we are going to have to fight these things I do not see a way around it. And I am not sure I can simply whip by at superspeed snatch what they came for and fly it out of there either. But I am open to suggestions Dave. If we can get the 'brain' out of one, we can 'easily'TM plant it in another. But what do you think?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Oct 10 2023, 03:28

"I guess we will have to try and remove their "brains" like last time and implant it in another one," Miss Victory said with a shrug. She knew she would be at best a distraction or a bit of help while Lionheart did most of the heavy lifting. She really couldn't see any other way to take them on short of a super-strong EMP which she didn't have handy.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 10 2023, 08:35

DavidMcMahon wrote:"I guess we will have to try and remove their "brains" like last time and implant it in another one," Miss Victory said with a shrug.  She knew she would be at best a distraction or a bit of help while Lionheart did most of the heavy lifting.  She really couldn't see any other way to take them on short of a super-strong EMP which she didn't have handy.

"Agreed." Lionheart said with betraying no hint of the trepidation he found he felt at the prospect of taking on not one but four of the things. Something had to be done, and it looked like they were it.

OOC: OK so lets get a lay of the land, see what tactically we can use to our advantage, including the fact they want this material intact. If we, for instance target the nucks themselves perhaps that might delay things. But I want to measure twice before I take the first cut and appraise the situation before we go toe to toe with our foes.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 23 2023, 19:53

The pair kept quiet and looked at the silo room.

Each individual missile in the huge chamber was effectively sealed off from the others by shutters that enclosed each from the other. By doing this the armed forces could mount the missiles on a 'trolley' albeit one with twenty wheels and a huge carrying capacity, move it into the launch area, activate those huge metal doors and close off the launch tube, fire the missile and open them, loading up the next missile.

Seemed like some smart people had been putting simple solutions in play.

One of the missiles was in the launch area but the shutter doors - a foot or so thick of special alloy - were not closed. The other missiles were stood apart from the launch missile and on their wheeled trolleys. It was these that appeared to be being worked on at the moment.

Did that mean the one in the launch tube was ready to go?

The Heroes had a choice. Lionheart and Miss Victory could move faster than the eye could see - but these creatures were 'Ultrahuman' level threats and able to perceive them! Any move the pair made would need to be decisive as the alerted creatures would then be able to act - and that included the missile waiting to be launched!

Indeed, a glance up (as far as could be seen without revealing ones self) suggested the launch door was open - this nuclear missile, all 30 megatons or so, was ready to launch! Such a device would destroy the heart of any major city and flatten the outskirts or set them alight.

These 'creatures' were somehow merging with the missiles using a part of themselves, or of one them anyway. That 'one' would be diminished possibly, meaning it was less of a threat in a fight but would be able to detonate, control or launch one or more of the missiles!

That brought up another point.

Could either of the heroes withstand the nuclear detonation at point blank range? What of the nearby towns and villages?

Another thought occurred to them. What if... what if they were to allow the launch of one or more missiles and then rely on someone like Lionheart to grab it using their terrific speed and steer it towards space or the sun? Would the heroes be best served waiting to see what happened or to strike now whilst the creatures were 'performing surgery' on the ICBMs?

Then again... if another country, even one controlled by ADVENT, 'saw' an ICBM launch would they then launch their own missiles in retaliation?

Were Lionheart and Miss Victory looking at a potential nuclear holocaust?

The Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back" - Page 5 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe Ultrahumans! Issue #4 starring Miss Victory and Lionheart "The long road back" - Page 5 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 29 2023, 15:27

Admin wrote:LIONHEART and MISS VICTORY

The pair kept quiet and looked at the silo room.

Were Lionheart and Miss Victory looking at a potential nuclear holocaust?

OOC: Wow talk about all in stakes are high. So Dave what do you/Miss V think of this situation. I can see some advantage to letting them be diminished by dividing themselves as they are, but doesn't that still mean that we have potentially 30 enemies/missiles to stop instead of just 4? I am thinking we need to stop that first missile before the others even get to the launch pad, or else I'll have to go get it and leave you to stop the others being launched. I don't see how we can divide ourselves and stand a chance of stopping these, besides leaving you alone to face what remains is bound to be suicide? On the other hand if we could set the missible off in base, would they survive? It would leave little or no remains of the soldiers who gave so much to protect them, but aren't we just finishing what they bravely tried to stop themselves?

Anyway, if we move, then its a question of how do we move. What do we do, and how do we go about it. I feel that I am being bound by choice, none of which is good but not making a choice is equally playing into the enemies hands - whoever they may be? For that reason I am all for attacking first closing the silo and then trying to stop the AI-Droids.

Sj

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Oct 30 2023, 01:32

"I don't suppose," Miss Victory thought to Lionheart, expecting him to pick her thoughts up via telepathy and thereby lower their chances of being discovered, "you have transformation powers and can turn radioactive material into lead? Or can you jammed those launch doors closed so even if there is a blast, it will be contained here and lessen any possible damage? If we can jam the doors closed then we could just smash through the missiles ourselves, running through them, destroying the fuel and rocket motors. Still leaves us with these aliens to deal with but it might keep everyone else safe ... for now."

ooc: I'm pretty sure we are both tough enough that we could use super-speed and running, with our strength to make body-size holes in all those missiles. Or two body-size holes to make doubly sure. Other than that, I'm running out of ideas. I really get the feel this is an end game encounter here.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Oct 31 2023, 09:04

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  I'm pretty sure we are both tough enough that we could use super-speed and running, with our strength to make body-size holes in all those missiles.  Or two body-size holes to make doubly sure.  Other than that, I'm running out of ideas.  I really get the feel this is an end game encounter here.

OOC:I agree I think we might have a degree of analysis paralysis from trying to figure out how we deal with these ultra tough villains, one of which took us both to take him down. Now we face 4 more. But their 'weak point' is their reliance on the missiles. If we can disable them then they cannot launch. If we can get the blast doors, maybe we can stop an immediate launch, but these guys could probably just rip the doors off their hinges. So I think the missiles are the weak point.

Lionheart agreed with Miss V, signally back via his telepathy...

""The missiles are what they are seeking to rely on, and unlike themselves, are the weak link in their plan. If we can stop them then, perhaps we can at least stop this part of the plan." "

OOC:
OK so I guess we aim to hit the missiles and as David said, try to punch a Miss V+ Lionheart sized hole where it would do the most harm, at least till we can see to see if we cannot then stop the inevitable launch. As for me assume I am going to turn all the dials up to 11 to try and use surprise to the best effect we can. Strike hard, strike fast and stay moving to stay alive.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 23 2023, 13:48

OOC eeek! Three weeks! Sorry chaps, let's get this show back on the road...

The Ultrahumans crouched and watched the strange alien creature/machine hybrids at work. They were attempting to change the ICCMs into 'smart' missiles, able to avoid attack, detonate if under threat and fly below radar as well as send out false signals to represent an ability to hide themselves from attack. Possibly more besides - if a superhero thought it would be a simple matter to catch the missile and steer it into space they'd get a nasty - and nuclear - surprise.

Miss Victory pondered that. At her most durable it might be possible for her to survive a ground zero 10 or twenty megaton blast. These would be 30+. With his most protective abilities in play Lionheart should be able to survive one thirty or forty megaton blast, but there were no guarantees. No givens that would happen.

Instead they would damage the missiles in the silo, restricting their ability to fly all being well, and killing the plan stone dead before it took off, so to speak.

There were dangers of course. The creatures were fast, powerful, strong, on a level most superhumans couldn't comprehend. The Ultrahumans were the 'best of the best', more powerful than the previous legacy superheroes that had gone before but unfortunately the threats facing them had risen to match.

There was every chance the Ultrahumans might not walk - or fly, run, whatever - from this encounter.

OOC Both heroes are genius - super genius - level smart so you have options other than 'flying up and punching it'.

1) As has been mentioned, block the exit to the place
2) Draw away the aliens to take them down one at a time
3) do the zipping about putting big holes in missiles thing - however there may be a problem with that. These nanobot empowered creatures may be able to 'heal' the missiles using their own amazing shapeshifting abilities.
4) escape to get help - call on some of the other Ultrahumans if possible - after all they were part of a team and if this went south, well, the team would have to deal with it. If they could
5) Have one of you (?) draw some or all of the aliens away. bear in mind they are fast, powerful, capable and a challenge for both of you so just one of you facing two or more might be more than you can handle!
6) Wait. Watch, wait, see if an opportunity presents itself. If they launch... well, then plan B being 'somehow deal with the launch of a super powered, amped up nuclear missile' might come into being. That brings up another problem. These creatures are ultra advanced. The stuff they are modifying might seem stone age to them. If a standard ICBM in this silo is 10-20 megaton or perhaps more, what might it be after being enhanced by these horrible things?

The creatures appeared intent on their modifications, flowing like dark grey liquid over the missiles and not really displaying any humanoid traits. Some dissappeared from view as they slipped inside, doing who knew what. They worked at a speed and assuredness that suggested they were 100% confident that their modifications would prove effective...

...At destroying the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 23 2023, 13:56

Admin wrote:
OOC eeek! Three weeks! Sorry chaps, let's get this show back on the road...

The creatures appeared intent on their modifications, flowing like dark grey liquid over the missiles and not really displaying any humanoid traits. Some dissappeared from view as they slipped inside, doing who knew what. They worked at a speed and assuredness that suggested they were 100% confident that their modifications would prove effective...

...At destroying the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

OOC: Nice to see you back Paul, I was beginning to wonder ;-)...

Dave, what do you think? This shouldn't be unwinnable, but it doesn't have to be totally off the scale. I am wondering if we could sufficiently block the missile solo, so I am thinking that the best option might be to get the Ultrahumans here to help. This is the crisis, right now regardless of what else is happening (probably except whatever is happening). I can see that disabling the missiles is probably not going to make a difference, drawing them away, means dividing our strengths and hoping a) they do come and b) I can take one down on my own. Meanwhile that leaves you vulnerable to detection and or just observation. So I am thinking that we either wait and see, but I hate the idea of them launching these impossibilies at the USA specially right now. So I am for getting the other Ultra's involved, what do you think?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 05 2023, 02:29

OOC: So many options and so many things that can go wrong. Very few things that can go right. affraid

"Maybe ..," she thought slowly, trying to weigh the pros and cons, "maybe you could use your speed to grab up tanks, destroyed equipment and building debris and plug the silos. I can get to the surface and try to contact the Ultrahumans. Not sure who is available and who can get here and tough enough to help out though. Plugging the silos will give us some time, maybe only a few minutes but then we can try destroying the rockets and then taking them down. Depends on who can show up if they can show up in time."
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Dec 07 2023, 16:37

DavidMcMahon wrote:OOC:  So many options and so many things that can go wrong.  Very few things that can go right.   affraid

"Maybe ..," she thought slowly, trying to weigh the pros and cons, "maybe you could use your speed to grab up tanks, destroyed equipment and building debris and plug the silos.  I can get to the surface and try to contact the Ultrahumans.  Not sure who is available and who can get here and tough enough to help out though.  Plugging the silos will give us some time, maybe only a few minutes but then we can try destroying the rockets and then taking them down.  Depends on who can show up if they can show up in time."

OOC: Agreed, for that reason I think if we do block up the silos from taking off and I go to get the others, then we hopefully stand a better chance. As it is I don't see how we can take these things on even together.

Paul I suggest we do as Miss says, get all we can to block the silos, so as to at least delay or deny lift off. Damage the doors if need be, but I'm loath to do that if it means the missiles we deny them, might also be denied us if we needed them. And then when that is done, we go like gossip to get the others and bring them here, pronto.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 15 2024, 23:28

OOC Go to update and lose the lot when Chrome stops. Try again. Seems like every day for the last two weeks I've had visitors or been a visitor - including to the GPs and hospital again. All part of the fun, and whilst I apologise for the delay (again) never fear, I love GMing/Playing this game and despite what life chucks at my, not going anywhere!

LIONHEART uses his speed and stealth abilities to fly up and out of the silo without being seen.

Or at least he hopes to...

OOC

Not using Dex as usual because LH isn't sneaking about - he's flying up without causing a Sonic Boom (8APs speed) and using Thief:14 (5 Dice extra)

The powerful alien synthezoids are busy but one of them has a chance of spotting LH!

(Lost now) but the roll and 8APs added up to 43 (Double 11 from the 7 dice rolled and a 13 as follow up)

Int 10 + 2d12+0 7,3+0 = 10 (20) vs
Lionheart total of 43

FAILED to spot Lionheart!
Lionheart flew up and had to keep his immense speed down!

Sticking to the shadows of the silo he arrived outside. Scanning about, expecting danger to appear at any moment, the hero switched to his speed and moved to a warehouse, tearing off the corrugated roof in large sheets handling them telekinetically. It was then a simple matter to put them over the holes where the missiles would come out and weight those down with armoured vehicles, trucks, hummvees...

All done at super speed!

The missiles, just launching, would reach a low speed in the time they left the silos. They would strike the sheet, pinned down by weights and skew violently to the left or right and probably hit the silo wall! Were they able to take off or instantly attain their full speed they would punch through the corrugated steel without much resistance. At low speed they would have to contend with the weight of several tons of weights placed about the silo opening.

Meanwhile Miss Victory watched the missiles carefully. No sign of them having seen the streak of speed that Lionheart was. He was practically invisible and all of a sudden the light from above was cut off as the silo openings were blocked! Only moments before the Synthezoids noticed the diminishing light in the place!

OOC how is Miss V getting out of there with the Silos blocked? Staying put, waiting for the bad guys to move or making her way back through the complex, up the lift shaft and out that way? Is Lionheart doing anything (he's at ground level having pinned down the sheets with weighty trucks - Americans don't do lightweight vehicles as far as I can tell!)? The powerful Synthezoids will take notice that the place is slightly darker without light from above, so you have minutes at best before they react!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 16 2024, 15:21

ooc:  Humvees the big brother of the classic Jeep! And of course, the Deuce 'n half, the truck of my era in the early 80s when I was a Marine reservist, 2 and a 1/2 tons.

Miss Victory will run and jump up the shaft. Once near or on the surface, she will put in a call for any and all Ultrahumans, giving a quick recap and cry for extra help.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 16 2024, 16:48

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  Humvees the big brother of the classic Jeep!  And of course, the Deuce 'n half, the truck of my era in the early 80s when I was a Marine reservist, 2 and a 1/2 tons.

Miss Victory will run and jump up the shaft. Once near or on the surface, she will put in a call for any and all Ultrahumans, giving a quick recap and cry for extra help.

OOC: Not sure if communication down in the hole will work any better for Miss V than for me up topside, but likewise I will put an A priority call out to explain what is going on. I am not sure, but would hardly be surprised if the first thing the robots do, is break off to clear the stuff away, which probably means one is coming for me v soon. So I am on guard for that. I guess the space up here does give me a slight advantage but we shall see.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5