The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm...

3 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm... - Page 6 Empty Re: RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm...

Post  andyman Mon Oct 02 2023, 04:33

Smiddy's 'friend' is probably reaching for a lighter. In the darkness, Captain Conduit tries to dodge past him through the doorway and then close it and lock him out. Fred Aster studied Fred Astaire and his moves are like a trained dancer, who knows how to move their partner right where they want them. Once in the room, with the big galoot locked outside, Captain Conduit continues dancing (dodging) around as he gets a better view on the room's inhabitants and their situation with his Thermal Vision.

Dice Actions: Acrobatics (Dodging) to avoid the guy who came out the doorway and anyone inside the room once he gets there.
Move Action: Get through the door, close and lock it.
Free action: What does he see in the room with his thermal vision?

andyman
andyman
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm... - Page 6 Empty Re: RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm...

Post  Admin Sun Oct 08 2023, 20:29

LIGHTNING BULLET and CAPTAIN CONDUIT

OOC Been up to my eyeballs with various things (work, entertaining my son and finally picking up the project I started a month or two ago then had to put aside because of work demands. Closing in on the first 'pass' of completing Book One of DC Heroes version 3.75/Anniversary Edition. Lots more to do but I've been grinding away at it and I can see light at the end of the tunnel...) so apologies for being tardy.

Back to the game - Lightning Bullet will probably be opening a door on the opposite side of the (expansive) basement that serves as storage rooms and treatment areas for sick animals, more administration offices etc.

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Smoothly moving between the goons and slipping into the room beyond the door, the hero turns to click it closed and turn the key in the lock. The Hero turns to look in the room.

This section of the Basement is a kind of lower level warehouse. This part has racks and rows of boxes on shelves like 'canyons' or 'lanes'. The boxes are marked up with words describing the contents - food for the animals for the most part, supplies of gloves, wipes, all the things which are required to keep a large city zoo functioning each and every day. Beyond them and through gaps in the stacks and racks of shelves he can see heat sources. People.

There is some commotion given the place has been plunged into darkness and the hostages - presumably ordinary people who were caught up with the mobsters taking over the zoo and members of staff - seemed very frightened.

"Get da Fuse Box!"

"Lights!"

"Where's my lighter!?"

"QUIET! KEEP YA MOUTHS SHUT OR SO HELP ME I'LL..."

"RESTORE THE LIGHT!"

That was the female voice. "The process is at a CRITICAL stage!"

CC would have only moments before the goons behind started banging and crashing at the door to get in and this place would be crawling with goon toting goons...

OOC These stacks and racks of shelves go from ground level to ten feet high, the upper racks access with a sliding ladder on wheels. They must be twenty feet long and loaded with animal food of all kinds.

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm... - Page 6 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resRUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm... - Page 6 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sat Oct 14 2023, 01:44

If anyone here knows how to stop these giant animals, it's gotta be this lady talkin' about a process in its critical stage. Captain Conduit levetates above the rows of supplies and flies himself to a stop right above the woman. He does this as quietly as possible, so he can see what she's up do, before getting the drop on her. Hopefully, no one looks up, before he get's a good look down to see if he can grab the woman without undo risk to hostages.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Oct 17 2023, 12:50

After making sure that the crooks are well-tied up and gagged, Lightning Bullet cautiously opens the door and begins to work his way around the basement looking for any kidnapped victims, more crooks and whoever is behind this.

Admin wrote:LIGHTNING BULLET and CAPTAIN CONDUIT

OOC Been up to my eyeballs with various things (work, entertaining my son and finally picking up the project I started a month or two ago then had to put aside because of work demands. Closing in on the first 'pass' of completing Book One of DC Heroes version 3.75/Anniversary Edition. Lots more to do but I've been grinding away at it and I can see light at the end of the tunnel...) so apologies for being tardy.

Back to the game - Lightning Bullet will probably be opening a door on the opposite side of the (expansive) basement that serves as storage rooms and treatment areas for sick animals, more administration offices etc.

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Smoothly moving between the goons and slipping into the room beyond the door, the hero turns to click it closed and turn the key in the lock. The Hero turns to look in the room.

This section of the Basement is a kind of lower level warehouse. This part has racks and rows of boxes on shelves like 'canyons' or 'lanes'. The boxes are marked up with words describing the contents - food for the animals for the most part, supplies of gloves, wipes, all the things which are required to keep a large city zoo functioning each and every day. Beyond them and through gaps in the stacks and racks of shelves he can see heat sources. People.

There is some commotion given the place has been plunged into darkness and the hostages - presumably ordinary people who were caught up with the mobsters taking over the zoo and members of staff - seemed very frightened.

"Get da Fuse Box!"

"Lights!"

"Where's my lighter!?"

"QUIET! KEEP YA MOUTHS SHUT OR SO HELP ME I'LL..."

"RESTORE THE LIGHT!"

That was the female voice. "The process is at a CRITICAL stage!"

CC would have only moments before the goons behind started banging and crashing at the door to get in and this place would be crawling with goon toting goons...

OOC These stacks and racks of shelves go from ground level to ten feet high, the upper racks access with a sliding ladder on wheels. They must be twenty feet long and loaded with animal food of all kinds.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 19 2023, 08:43

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Rising slowly into the air the hero bumps into the frame of the ceiling, a criss crossed rafter that helps hold the roof up between columns in the basement. It's also filled with pipes - water, gas, electricity - that feed the rest of this large building.

In the darkness of the room and the confusion, with cries of alarm and shouts from the gangsters, no one thinks to look up amongst the highest levels of the shelves and racking that form canyons and corridors in the basement.

CC drifts along, pausing when goons move past underneath. Whilst they might not normally look up, a humans peripheral vision might pick up something that causes them to turn and glance. In such a way people could tell when others were sneaking up behind them and so on.

As he moves towards the centre of the room CC sees the group - quite a large one - of captives. They are watched by goons with guns - tommy guns and pistols - and a couple are holding lighters to provide some illumination. A quick tot up reveals there must be twenty going on thirty hostages.

The woman in question is dressed in a white coat. Her scowl spoils what otherwise would be an attractive face, her hair in a bun. Her glasses were pushed back onto her nose occasionally as she barked orders. It was then that CC noticed the accent. Ever so slight, but could that be... Germanic? She might not be one of the Nazi scientists that could do amazing, monstrous things with animals and humans, mixing their bio chemistry to create monsters or super powers, but might she be... a daughter perhaps, of one of the scientists? Or a lab worker, eager to carry on the work of their mentor?

Regardless, she stood over one of the hostages - a man in his fifties, shirt, tie, suit, balding, frightened. The woman held a syringe to his neck and one of the goons was setting something up. Leads from a generator perhaps? They ended in crocodile clips as one might use to jump start a car! What on earth was she doing?

OOC To get close without notice - above the woman - will require a Perception check by those below. You *might* be 'betrayed' by the people you are seeking to rescue! meanwhile...

LIGHTNING BULLET

The diminutive super hero moves into the basement. It's a vast room, taking up the footprint of the large building overhead. Canyons, rows, of shelving and racking run in lines around the outside walls of the basement and lead to a clearing of sorts in the middle. Tipped over shelves and spilled boxes indicate someone has 'made space' and from where LB is it seems that the majority of activity is taking place in that area. He can see lights bobbing about - lighters - though of course he needs no aid to see in the dark!

There is a group of hostages - or at least people huddled together - in the centre of the room. These must be those that worked in the admin offices above. A zoo of this size would need lots of book keeping and tracking of supplies, paying bills and so on.

As he moved closer, he heard another door open and a shout go out.

BOTH HEROES

"Hey! What gives?!" calls out a voice across the darkness.

A couple of goons drag an unwilling Detective Conway into the small pool of light in the centre of the room. He has guns trained on him and blood running down his chin from a split lip.

"Did one gave us some trouble boss." said one of the goons to the woman. "Want me to 'off' him? Teach these others a lesson? Make 'em behave? What happened ta th' lights?"

The Woman turned, cruel sneer on her otherwise pretty face. "Ah, a ... policeman perhaps? i thought our 'distraction' had you 'flet foots' running about chasing giant apes and the like?"

"Sister, we got dat under control. Soon dis place is gonna be swarmin' ! Where ya from anyway? Dat accent... Bavarian, by any chance?" drawled Conway.

The woman glowered. "Ve hef a new subject for ze experiment! On his knees!"

The two goons shoved Conway down and the woman moved to the Cops side, syringe placed at his throat. "VER IS ZET POWER?" she barked into the darkness.

There was a pause and then "I think... yeah, we got it! Just gotta reset da trip!" came the call in the darkness.

Not far from Lightning Bullet! He glanced between gaps in the shelving and saw three goons checking out a panel on the wall. Looked to be a fuse box of some kind. In moments this place would be lit up... and so might Conway!

OOC Perception check vs spotting CC who is now RIGHT ABOVE the woman, high up in the darkness of the rafters in the basement.

AV6 + 2d12+0 4,4+0 = 8 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 2,3+0 = 13 (19) is the OV/RV of the Perception check

The woman has the highest Int and effectively gets a 'multi attack' because of the people in the room. There are half a dozen goons with her and thirty or so hostages. Her Int is 7 and Will is 5, so...

Int 7 + 2d12+0 2,6+0 = 8 (15) with modifiers... (effectively) +6 from 'Multi attack', -2 'Darkness', -2 'Blindside', +4 'Unskilled - CC doesn't have thief'' total... 21!

Success +2

Will 5 + 2 (EV7) vs RV6 (CC Dex)=1 RAP

1) The Woman looks up and sees... something... moving about above her.

"Vas ist das?" she utters, glancing up and peering into the darkness!

"Light! Get me a light up there!" she barks.

OOC because there was only 1 RAP CC has the chance to move away before being seen, unless he's 'seen enough' and wants to make a move on the woman and her gun toting goons...

RUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm... - Page 6 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resRUBY CITY DEFENDERS! Issue #3 - Calm before the storm... - Page 6 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Oct 21 2023, 04:18

Lightning Bullet will attempt to do his soon to be famous ricochet touch shot and strike all 3 men before they know he is there. [he hopes. I don't think I have any HP left but if I do I want to use it to increase my odds of striking all three. Crit shot.]

ooc: I don't know if you want to think about this as a house rule but I was thinking of some kind of bonus skill only for a single attacks type instead of raising Dex superhigh to make to it do the same. This schtick I want to develop with him is using his diminutive size to strike multiple opponents at once, so bonus to multi-attack only. I also saw some rule where size affects how many folks he can attack as it also affects his movement rate. Forgot where I saw it and am heading to bed so maybe I can find it tomorrow. Something about 1 less foe than his adjusted movement speed?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Wed Nov 01 2023, 01:16

Captain Conduit quietly slips out of the crazy lady's line of sight and into the line of sight of that circuit breaker box. He shoots lightning at the box, hoping to take it out and then flies away out of sight from the goons trying to get the lights back on. Maybe this will give Conway a distraction, so he can escape.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 03 2023, 20:45

OOC Always happy to think/look at House Rules.

Rather than boosting Dex and therefore being great at everything I agree there needs to be some means of improving the 'aim' of a power separate from Damage (Effect) and Range. In this game (perhaps to make things easier) it has niggled at me that Acting/Effect/Range are all lumped into one.

LB has the 'no range' which effectively just swaps his EV for his Lightning power and means his Dex is his attack and Martial Artist is the skill used for striking. As for the house rules the Accuracy (state one power/attack type) Skill is what we're looking at with a limitation of 'one specific attack'. I'll have a look at that.

meanwhile...

LIGHTNING BULLET

OOC As far as I can see LB has 13HP remaining, not used any since page 1 (probably a year ago given the pace dictated by real life demands...) Personally with two extra Dice from M Artist I wouldn't bother - save it for Last Ditch defence? if you want an extra die it will cost you 21HP for a 3rd die, so you don't have enough for this particular task anyway.

Lightning Touch vs 3 Goons
AV (Dex) 7 + 2D M Arts + 4d12+0 6,6,1,8+0 = 12 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 3,1+0 = 4 (ugh!) (23) vs
OV3 + Multi 4 - Surprise 4 - Flank 2 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 12,8+0 = 20 (25)
MISSED!

Lightning Bullet 'lights up' with a flash and a crackle... causing the targeted goons to cry out and pull guns around to bear on the diminutive hero!

OOC they will fire in the next round

Too many targets? Maybe. The fledgling hero has lost the element of surprise and now needs to worry about bullets flying in his direction!

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Moving away in the darkness before he's spotted Captain Conduit sees a couple of goons hunched in front of a fuse box on the wall. One has finished winding copper wire around the fuse contacts
(OOC 1950s so I guess that means pretty basic electrics by modern standards)
whilst the other holds a lighter.

Moving closer CC takes aim in the darkness - though helped a lot by the goon with the lighter (unwittingly!) - and wonders if he times it just right, it might look like a natural occurrence...

OOC

Basically a Trick Shot. The OV will be the range (2APs) and Trick shot +4  (which with the old rules is +2CS)

Lightning 8 + 2d12+0 8,10+0 = 18 (26) vs
OV2 + trick Shot 4 - darkness 1 (half of usual penalty because of the guy with the lighter) + 2d12+0 4,11+0 = 15 (20)
SUCCESS + 3
EV8 + 3 (11) vs RV2=9 RAPs

BANG!

There is a blinding FLASH! from the Fuse Box as the electrics are FRIED! The pair of goons are thrown backwards involuntarily and the smoke/flames from the Fuse Box suggests it is done! Only repairs will restore the power to the building!

"VATTTTTTT!" screams the woman. "Em I surrounded by IMBECILES?!?!" she screeches.

One of the goons calls out "Boss! There's someone in here! A little guy! Kinda like... a doll? GEDDIM!" he shouts, peering into the darkness beyond the glow of his lighter! All of the goons have guns out now but don't have much of a clue who to shoot at! Only the three goons that LB missed have a target but it's dark and chances of hitting him (when he's so small) are probably less than nil. The only problem for him would be stray bullets striking one of the hostages!

OOC

The heroes will win initiative as confusion reigns!

LB has three who are trying to shoot at him (only a double will really cause any worry I'd have thought)

CC has not actually been revealed yet as the two goons at the Fuse Box would not have seen him (and will be seeing stars after that flash in front of their eyes!)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sat Nov 04 2023, 03:25

Captain Conduit goes for a Multi-Attack on the two goons at the busted fuse box with his Lightning. If, successful, he moves in and takes their guns. Were there any hostages that looks like they might know how to use a gun? Maybe there was a security guard or just someone in a suit that looks like they work out and aren't peeing their pants. If not, Fred will at least have gifts for Conway, especially if the thugs were successful in disarming him before dragging the detective down here.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Nov 13 2023, 01:40

Same attack again, same targets.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 14 2023, 10:06

OOC Despite any thoughts/reports to the contrary I am still alive! Thanks for your patience chaps. Been chock a block with work or other afk related stuff. Let's see how we get on with updates this week...

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

The floating hero takes aim again, this time at the goons on the ground instead of the fuse box they are fumbling at.

OOC

Multi Attack on two

Lightning 8 + 2d12+0 9,3+0 = 12 (20) vs
OV3 + Multi Attack 2 - 2 from dazzled/surprised/blinded momentarily + 2d12+0 4,10+0 = 14 (17)

Success + 2

Lightning 8 + 2 (10EV) vs RV3 + Multi Attack 2 (RV5)=5 RAPs

Both Goons are DOWN and OUT!

The hero zaps the pair of hired hoodlums and floats down. A quick check reveals they'll be down for at least an hour. Depriving them of their weapons he thinks back to what he'd seen.

OOC

Int 6 + 2d12+0 2,7+0 = 9 (15) vs
OV5 + 2d12+0 2,7+0 = 9 (14)

Success +1

Will 4 + 1 (EV5) vs RV5=0 RAPs

Captain Conduit doesn't recall anyone who looks like a security guard but there must be someone who can handle a gun other than Conway. After the war many vets came back to find the old jobs they held were gone so took anything they could get. Chances are at least one or two, probably more, of the hostages saw some active service and could handle a firearm competently.

He could hear the shouting and confusion in the darkness - things were tricky. The goons would be twitchy, trigger fingers itchy and it was a dangerous situation!

OOC

Head back to where the hostages are? Are you staying high/low/cautious and looking for cover or heading straight there to take advantage of the confusion? In moments various lighters will be lit and light will be (albeit limited) on the scene...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 14 2023, 10:23

LIGHTNING BULLET

The diminutive hero tries again, needing to drop a few of the goons to thin the numbers!

OOC

Lightning Touch vs 3 Goons

AV (Dex) 7 + 2D M Arts + 4d12+0 7,1,5,4+0 = 12 (19)
OV3 + Multi 4 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 11,8+0 = 19 (30)

MISSED!

Lightning Bullet is - perhaps - a little too ambitious (OOC perhaps no Crit Blow?) as he swings at the bad guys. they in turn take shots at the zipping, swooping, flying nuisance!

The goons frantically take aim and blast away with their guns at Lightning Bullet!

OOC

Team Attack by three on one target

AV3 + 1D Weaponry +

3d12+0
12,1,5+0 = 17 (20)

3d12+0
12,9,11+0 = 30 (33)

3d12+0
4,4,4+0 = 8 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 8,10+0 = 26 (29)

vs

Lightning Bullet Defence

OV7 + Shrinking 5 + Dark 2 - Team Attack 2 +

2d12+0
12,12+0 = 24 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 6,9+0 = 39 (51) Missed

2d12+0
12,11+0 = 23 (35) Missed

2d12+0
7,1+0 = 8 (20) Hit +4

Pistol 4 + 4 (EV8) vs RV6=2 RAPs

LIGHTNING BULLET is on BODY 4/6

"Got im!" cries one of the goons as his pistol shot snags Lightning Bullet on his tiny leg!

"Yeah? How come he's still flyin'? KEEP SHOOTING!" roars another!

Lightning Bullet grimaces, having been shot! That said he knew his ability to withstand pain and physical punishment was beyond that of an ordinary human being. Given only a short time the wound was heal so completely that he wouldn't even have a scar!

Would he get that time?

MEANWHILE

"Hold zet vun down!" screams the German woman.

"But you said ya need power ta..."

"Only to make ze process permanent! Zis shell... hef to do! Vot is heppening? Get those... interlopers!"

The woman injects something into the shoulder of a hostage, a woman in her forties. Around the scientist various goons flick lighters on and provide a limited amount of light.

The woman cries out in pain...

OOC

You guys win initiative again...

CC will have to move to attack at close quarters where the Scientist and her circle of goons are or can blast from a distance.

LB is still getting shot at by goons.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Nov 16 2023, 08:49

Being hurt, Lightning Bullet becomes a bit more cautious, a little less brash. He decides to only go for one of the three, taking them down one by one.
Crit blow but just one.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Mon Nov 27 2023, 04:45

Captain Conduit heard that his old buddy got shot and it sounds like that crazy German woman is going to pump up a hostage.

Since we won initiative, Captain Conduit is going to attempt a "Dupe" action, to get the goons to all fire in a direction where no one really is.

He yells, "Quick, take 'em out boys, while they're distracted by our drone!" Fred also fires both guns if he can, while taking the Dodge maneuver. The gunshots aren't meant to hit the enemy, just distract them as to where to shoot. (Not at LB, who he called a drone and into the darkness where they heard the voice at ground level.) Captain Conduit then flies to the ceiling, so he is not where the goon will fire if the dupe is successful. The position on the ceiling will hopefully give him a bird's eye view of the situation too.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 01 2023, 20:25

LIGHTNING BULLET

It was too much to target three opponents for the diminutive hero, it seemed. Plus whilst far more durable than an ordinary human he wasn't bullet proof. A lucky - for him unlucky - shot might put him in real trouble...

So he targeted one of the trio shooting at him and ...

OOC

All being well, hits!

AV (Dex) 7 + 2D M Arts 4d12+0 6,10,7,12+0 = 19 (26) vs
OV3 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 5,7+0 = 12 (19)

Success +4

EV 9 +4 (EV13) vs RV3 - Crit Blow 6 (RV-3)=16 (!) RAPs. No killing combat though 2APs Knockback means EV2vs RV3=0 RAPs. Lucky he wasn't killed!

Thhhhhhhhhwack!

THAT was more like it and the gun toting goon flew backwards through the darkened room, smashing into a rack of boxes containing animal feed and supplies required for a busy zoo...

Lightning Bullet winced. Conway was ex forces - this was a matter of life and death where danger hung in the air ready to strike at any time! That said, LB was a hero and all that meant with a code - not to kill - and set a good example to others by Upholding the Good. That meant pulling his punch when facing against ordinary goons, even gun toting murderous thugs like these!

OOC in other words a standard attack with EV9 vs RV3=auto KO so no crit blow required! If You'd not Crit Blow with the attack on three you'd probably have put them down or at least done some damage...

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Captain Conduit tries to dupe the thugs into firing at shadows. How convincing would he be?

OOC

Technically you aren't actually persuading a specific person, just trying to get jumpy goons to fire wildly at shadows in the room, trying to take the heat off Lightning Bullet.

As such it is an Influence/Aura check against their Int/Mind...

We'll check against four goons...

2d12+0 11,10+0 = 21 (+ Infl 4) (25) vs

Int 2 +
2d12+0 10,5+0 = 15 (17) Success +4

2d12+0 4,4+0 = 8 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 2,3+0 = 5 (15) Success +4

2d12+0 11,9+0 = 20 (22) Success + 2

2d12+0 5,7+0 = 12 (14) Success +5

Aura 4 +
4 (8)=6 RAPs
4 (8)=6 RAPs
2 (6)=4 RAPs
5 (9)=7 RAPs

All of a sudden the room is alive - crazy - with gunfire as jumpy goons blast at shadows, seeing movement near the ceiling. "THERE! GEDDIM!" BANG! BANG!

RATATATATATATATATATAT!

BANG! BANG! BOOM!

The civilians scream in terror, ducking low. The goons light up their faces, pointing at shadows and letting rip with their guns. The other goons look on in confusion and a little panic. "Who is it? What ya shootin' at?"

The German woman screams "You fools! GET THEM!" she screeches though in truth isn't quite sure who it was that her men are shooting at.

The two still facing Lightning Bullet look on in indecision. They have a target flitting about them and yet the others are blazing away at someone else.

"Over here!" one yells, "We got a little guy over here! He took out Dutch with a single punch!"

One of the goons shoots at Lightning Bullet, the other is split with the need to go help the woman and earn her favour or shoot at the zipping tiny target that torments and targets them...

OOC

AV3 + 1D Weaponry + 3d12+0 1,2,9+0 = 3 FUMBLE!!!

The Gun misfires, kicking back and twisting in the goons hand, causing him to yell out and drop it in the darkness, wringing the injured hand and howling in pain. "Yeeeeeow!" he cries. He looks at the pistol on the floor, slightly twisted where the barrel imperfection had caused it to malfunction and be rendered useless!

From the ceiling Captain Conduit looks down on the room. The hostages (and Conway) are in a group, mostly huddled together. The hardened former marine has a gun held to his head but looks ready to spring at the goon holding it. The woman is frantic, sending men scurrying here and there. At any time there were two or three armed goons around her but the situation was on a knife edge - a stray shot would threaten the lives of the hostages!

"Ya shootin' at shadows!" bellowed a goon. The gunfire tailed off and the jumpy gangsters peered into the darkness, reaching for lighters to reveal their prey.

Meanwhile LB faced off against one goon and the other had headed back to where the hostages were.

OOC initiative again to you guys but be careful! Hostages are in danger and if these guys had any brains, they'd...

"Grab a hostage!" screeched the woman. "Unless zer interlopers surrender, shoot zem!"

Uh oh!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sat Dec 02 2023, 05:12

Captain Conduit shoots a lightning bolt at the creep holding a gun on Conway, hoping to knock that guy out. (Dice Action)

He then flies between the goons and the hostages. (Move Action)

Captain Conduit then says, "Stop! If you try and move toward any one of these hostages, I'll arm them and none of you will make it out of here alive. I don't know what this lady promised to pay you, but it's not worth making your mothers' cry at your funerals. If you run now, most of you may be able to get away, but you've got to act now, before I give these guns to the angry veteran soldiers amongst your hostages first!"
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Dec 05 2023, 02:13

ooc: Kind of forgot how powerrful crit blow can be since he is a low level hero.

Lightning Bullet goes for the two remaining thugs he was originally fighting. Regular attack.
He is reluctant to go after the woman, hitting her and all but she may wind up being his next target after these two since she is the brains of the outfit. Of course, he doesn't actually hit anyone, he just kind of touches them with lots of electricity in his hands.

Admin wrote:LIGHTNING BULLET

It was too much to target three opponents for the diminutive hero, it seemed. Plus whilst far more durable than an ordinary human he wasn't bullet proof. A lucky - for him unlucky - shot might put him in real trouble...

So he targeted one of the trio shooting at him and ...

OOC

All being well, hits!

AV (Dex) 7 + 2D M Arts 4d12+0 6,10,7,12+0 = 19 (26) vs
OV3 + Crit Blow 4 + 2d12+0 5,7+0 = 12 (19)

Success +4

EV 9 +4 (EV13) vs RV3 - Crit Blow 6 (RV-3)=16 (!) RAPs. No killing combat though 2APs Knockback means EV2vs RV3=0 RAPs. Lucky he wasn't killed!

Thhhhhhhhhwack!

THAT was more like it and the gun toting goon flew backwards through the darkened room, smashing into a rack of boxes containing animal feed and supplies required for a busy zoo...

Lightning Bullet winced. Conway was ex forces - this was a matter of life and death where danger hung in the air ready to strike at any time! That said, LB was a hero and all that meant with a code - not to kill - and set a good example to others by Upholding the Good. That meant pulling his punch when facing against ordinary goons, even gun toting murderous thugs like these!

OOC in other words a standard attack with EV9 vs RV3=auto KO so no crit blow required! If You'd not Crit Blow with the attack on three you'd probably have put them down or at least done some damage...

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

Captain Conduit tries to dupe the thugs into firing at shadows. How convincing would he be?

OOC

Technically you aren't actually persuading a specific person, just trying to get jumpy goons to fire wildly at shadows in the room, trying to take the heat off Lightning Bullet.

As such it is an Influence/Aura check against their Int/Mind...

We'll check against four goons...

2d12+0 11,10+0 = 21 (+ Infl 4) (25) vs

Int 2 +
2d12+0 10,5+0 = 15 (17) Success +4

2d12+0 4,4+0 = 8 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 2,3+0 = 5 (15) Success +4

2d12+0 11,9+0 = 20 (22) Success + 2

2d12+0 5,7+0 = 12 (14) Success +5

Aura 4 +
4 (Cool=6 RAPs
4 (Cool=6 RAPs
2 (6)=4 RAPs
5 (9)=7 RAPs

All of a sudden the room is alive - crazy - with gunfire as jumpy goons blast at shadows, seeing movement near the ceiling. "THERE! GEDDIM!" BANG! BANG!

RATATATATATATATATATAT!

BANG! BANG! BOOM!

The civilians scream in terror, ducking low. The goons light up their faces, pointing at shadows and letting rip with their guns. The other goons look on in confusion and a little panic. "Who is it? What ya shootin' at?"

The German woman screams "You fools! GET THEM!" she screeches though in truth isn't quite sure who it was that her men are shooting at.

The two still facing Lightning Bullet look on in indecision. They have a target flitting about them and yet the others are blazing away at someone else.

"Over here!" one yells, "We got a little guy over here! He took out Dutch with a single punch!"

One of the goons shoots at Lightning Bullet, the other is split with the need to go help the woman and earn her favour or shoot at the zipping tiny target that torments and targets them...

OOC

AV3 + 1D Weaponry + 3d12+0 1,2,9+0 = 3 FUMBLE!!!

The Gun misfires, kicking back and twisting in the goons hand, causing him to yell out and drop it in the darkness, wringing the injured hand and howling in pain. "Yeeeeeow!" he cries. He looks at the pistol on the floor, slightly twisted where the barrel imperfection had caused it to malfunction and be rendered useless!

From the ceiling Captain Conduit looks down on the room. The hostages (and Conway) are in a group, mostly huddled together. The hardened former marine has a gun held to his head but looks ready to spring at the goon holding it. The woman is frantic, sending men scurrying here and there. At any time there were two or three armed goons around her but the situation was on a knife edge - a stray shot would threaten the lives of the hostages!

"Ya shootin' at shadows!" bellowed a goon. The gunfire tailed off and the jumpy gangsters peered into the darkness, reaching for lighters to reveal their prey.

Meanwhile LB faced off against one goon and the other had headed back to where the hostages were.

OOC initiative again to you guys but be careful! Hostages are in danger and if these guys had any brains, they'd...

"Grab a hostage!" screeched the woman. "Unless zer interlopers surrender, shoot zem!"

Uh oh!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 04 2024, 23:00

OOC Ugh, nearly a month! Apologies, will see about catching up...

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

The flying hero takes aim at the man holding a gun to Conways head.

"Whoa! Kid! Don't miss!" cries the former Marine.

OOC

Conway has a point. CC isn't hampered by darkness but he is in between the target (goon) and Conway so it will need a trick shot. That's the bad news. The good news is with 8Aps targeting 3APs it won't make much of a difference, hopefully... Let's see.

Lightning 8 + 2d12+0 10,6+0 = 16 (24) vs
Ov3 + trick Shot 4 + 2d12+0 12,10+0 = 22 (29)

MISSED!

Unless of course the bad guy gets a very high roll!

Still, CC's roll was high enough/impressive enough to...

"Yeowch!" said the Thug, diving and rolling away. "Nearly singed me, darn it!" he cried. The thug then levelled his gun and took a couple of shots at Captain Conduit...

OOC

AV3 + Weaponry 1D - Darkness 2 + 3d12+0 7,11,1+0 = 18 (19) vs
OV6 + 3d dodge + 5d12+0 4,8,8,4,2+0 = 16 DOUBLE plus 2d12+0 2,5+0 = 23 (29)

MISSED!

"Missed!" shouted the thug. "I was best shot in my outfit, had him bang ta rights!" he declared of the hero as he peers into the darkness, taking aim at shadows.

Conway rolls to the side, glancing about. He'd been in enough firefights in the South Pacific to know when to keep his head down and barked at the hostages to "STAY LOW! KEEP YER HEADS DOWN!"

Their panicked screams suggested not all had heard the advice and the armed goons started getting twitchy!

Overhead Captain Conduit was floating about near the ceiling in the darkness. What light there was came from the flickering lighters of the armed goons below, otherwise all was darkness.

"Stop! If you try and move toward any one of these hostages, I'll arm them and none of you will make it out of here alive. I don't know what this lady promised to pay you, but it's not worth making your mothers' cry at your funerals. If you run now, most of you may be able to get away, but you've got to act now, before I give these guns to the angry veteran soldiers amongst your hostages first!" he shouts.

The woman with the accent snarls. "Pah! Zet is nothing compared to vat I shell do to you! Find ze costumed fools! SHOOT ZEM!" she howls in rage.

She has several guards near her with tommy guns and they are scouring about. The woman herself is fishing inside her purse.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 04 2024, 23:11

LIGHTNING BULLET

The diminutive (injured) hero takes careful aim at two thugs this time and eases back on the power, going more for accuracy.

Swooping in to deliver his shocking touch, the hero hopes to have more luck this time...

OOC

AV7 + 2D martial Arts + 4d12+0 8,2,12,2+0 = 20 (27) vs
OV3 + 2 Multi attack + 2d12+0 1,3+0 = 4 (9) Yeowach! That's poor!

SUCCESS +6

EV9 + 6 (15) vs RV3 + 2 Multi (RV5)=10 RAPs Both are down, out and more besides!

There is a loud CRACK and the pair of goons fly across the length of the basement area, crashing into stacked shelves and tumbling like rag dolls into the darkness!

OOC

Both goons takes knockback from such a terrific strike, being 6APs (the bonus to EV) less weight (2APs) leaving 4APs vs Rv3=1 RAP extra damage. Both are on -1/3 Body and are DYING! They will continue to lose Body every 1 minute (4 APs of time).

Now the hostages are terrified and get to their feet, running and screaming in all directions! The thugs aren't too happy either and some of them push and shove at the hostages, trying to make their own way out!

Conway, in the midst of it, grinds his teeth "Cripes!" he declares and sticks a leg out to trip a passing goon. They go down in a tumble.

The situation has gone from dangerous to catastrophic now, with armed goons amongst the panicked hostages and the entire room plunged into darkness! Both heroes can see clearly but Captain Conduit is at a disadvantage - the heat sources are indistinguishable in this mess of bodes that panic and scramble/tumble/climb over one another!

Lightning Bullet can see more clearly but his Ultra Vision relies on some light. In total darkness - like that which is happening now seeing as the goons have forgotten their lighters and reached for their guns - his vision will fade to that of an ordinary person blundering about in the dark! The solution is to provide some light - but the goons will be able to see then!

in the midst of all this - what is the woman with the German accent doing???

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Fri Jan 05 2024, 03:13

Captain Conduit doesn't know who most of the crowd is, but that woman with the sexy accent is an exception. He decides to grab her, to stop her from doing whatever it is she's doing and use her as a human shield. No, he doesn't want her to get shot, but her underlings will likely think twice before firing at him if they're grappling. Should he be successful in grappling her, he'll fly her up to the ceiling as well. That aught to prevent her from deciding to get fresh and scratch Fred or kick him where the sun don't shine. Captain Conduit has no super strength, but he thinks he can overpower a German science nerd. We'll see.

Move Action: Fly to the lady and then fly away with her should his Dice Action succeed.

Dice Action: Grappling Attack
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 16 2024, 15:10

Lightning Bullet heads for the door to open it. The light in the hallway will provide some illumination for the folks trying to flee as well as a direction to go. Also helping him to see in the gloom of the basement. Noticing Captain Conduit is going for the woman, who would have been his next target, taking down the leader, he decides after he opens the door, he will check on the goons he blasted. He's still not used to knowing how much power to use so is worried about them.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 31 2024, 22:31

OOC Playing catch up, sorry chaps. I'll get there, just need to find some kind of routine with the daily craziness of the last couple of months.

CAPTAIN CONDUIT

The hero swoops over to where the woman is. She appears to be ... standing in place? Quivering...? From apparently nerveless fingers falls something... with 'Clicks' on the floor with a glasslike sound.

Making the best of the opportunity Captain Conduit grabs at the woman, seeking to scoop her up and whisk her away!

OOC

AV6 + 2d12+0 8,5+0 = 13 (19) vs
OV 3 - 2 Blindside + 2d12+0 4,9+0 = 13 (14)

Success +3

EV 4 + 3 (EV7) vs RV 3=4 RAPs

The woman cries out as Captain Conduit roughly seizes her and scoops her up, making her gasp out loud and slump, unconscious, in his arms! He might not have superhuman strength but anyone capable of bench pressing five to six hundred pounds or more could be considered superhuman in this day and age!

With the woman in his powerful grasp the hero turns, effectively using her as a shield against the bullets of the goons who look up in the near darkness, illuminated only by their lighters and guesses as to the heroes location!

Meanwhile...

LIGHTNING BULLET

The diminutive superhero makes his way over to the door and pops it, revealing the corridor beyond is plunged in darkness (as is the whole floor).

With a shrug he turns and checks on the goons he's blasted. They are down and will be out for a while...

One of the other goons calls out "Let the woman go, 'hero'! Or... " he grabs a hostage (a man in his fifties apparently) and puts a pistol to his head.

"Ah'm gonna ventilate this gennelman all over th' floor an' grab another, until ya let th' boss woman go!"

Captain Conduit gasped - hostages lives were at risk! What would he do?

Lightning Bullet on the other hand, from the doorway, had a reasonable shot from side on if he was fast enough to zip in and touch the fellow before he could turn! But would he, could he be fast enough?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sun Feb 04 2024, 03:39

Captain Conduit lets loose a Trick Shot with his lightning against the goon trying to negotiate with him. He's got to dissuade others from trying the same tactic. I'm not sure how Hero Points are used to assist success, but in this case he wants to put the hurt the on him and let others know, they'll get the same if they even think about threatening another hostage. He's also a bit concerned with the state of the woman he's holding. She took something and may turn into a savage monster at any moment. Hopefully hovering up by the ceiling can be some kind of deterrent, should that happen.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 19 2024, 10:30

Lightning Bullet tries to come from behind the same crook to basically taz him. Normal attack.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6