The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land"

3 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land"

Post  Admin Mon Jan 25 2021, 11:58

Nowhere Man nodded at Frostbite's decision and rasped "I'll be back shortly. You know the North London detainment centre? Head there and lie low." before he vanished!

"That!" growled Haunt. "That there! That's what I'm on about! Where's he going? What's he doing? I know it will be bad - for us!" he snarled, shaking his head.

"Come on. We need to lie low and take our time. That jerk will know that though. He could have teleported us there...." said Haunt.

==========

The building looked pristine and white stood out against the backdrop of ruins and red dust cloud hanging in the air.

It was a large box type building, like a warehouse, but with sentry guns on each corner and dotted along the roofline every 10 metres or so. Whichever way they came at the building there would be four turrets in sight.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 XCOM2-ADVENTturret

A fence surrounded the compound, some fifteen feet high and buzzing.

Haunt whispered "That's got some juice running through it! Needless to say don't touch it."

The place looked clean and pristine and there were small hovering drone like robots that cleaned the outside of the place of red dust, depositing it in piles outside the fence where another robot, this one tracked, would rumble along and suck it up into a trailer behind it.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 XCOM2-ADVENTmechs

Pairs of tough looking robots patrolled and Haunt whispered. "Be very, very quiet. Those things have a suite of senses so behind cover until we are ready to move is key. They also have very good hearing, sonar and whilst they aren't super tough they might slow us down so that..."

He pointed where a white garbed figure was stood on the roof looking out over the compound...

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 Echelon-Agent

"Those guys...." hissed Haunt "Are either supers from before the 'fall' like I was, or they gained powers from the dust. As such it's a real mixed bag. If you are anything like the Echelon counterpart then you are in the old class four all day long, maybe at the upper scale. I've come across Echelon agents that were a pushover and others that pounded me into the floor. Aside from body shape, and they all pretty much look like Olympic athletes in those suits, it's a complete lottery. That guy could be Adjutant, looking for us and we wouldn't know until we started scrabbling around on the floor for the teeth he just knocked out."

Frostbite turned and saw Nowhere Man stood in the shadows of a wall a few metres away. Haunt turned and shook his head, stifling his anger.

"Where have you..."

Nowhere Man raised a hand then pointed. The heroes turned to look.

There were three white clad supers hovering high above the compound, obviously in conversation behind those dome helmets.

"It's a trap. They are expecting us. Adjutant is powerful enough to handle the situation on his own so I'm guessing all these..." he gestured at the four Echelon agents and the relatively sparse robotic guards "is to lure us in. Knowing that, they would expect two things. One, that we know that but are desperate enough to free your friends anyway or two, that we're stupid and see it as an easy in out job. I'd expect Adjutant to be in there watching the monitors."

"I can teleport in there but the defences are fairly comprehensive. A force field would form around us and repel attempts to teleport out of it. We can smash through the walls and the force fields would drop down as before. The place has TWO power sources - one fed from the city dome outside of London and another powerful backup generator. One of the prisoners is a high value target."

"Battlebug." said Frostbite.

"Correct. He's viewed in Echelon circles as the next big up and coming thing. His only real vulnerability is if someone is fast enough to take him down before he can fire up those Adrenaline Synapses of his. He really is off the scale and yet quite easy to take down if you are fast and strong enough." said Nowhere Man.

"Like Saladin was." said Haunt. "That scumbag needs taking down a rung or ten."

Saladin.

Frostbite pondered. Saladin was in charge. His friend Lionheart - Richard King - was honourable, wilful and wouldn't simply surrender to the aggressive rogue agent. He needed to chat more to his friend to find out what was going on inside his head when he got back home. IF he got back home.

Still, there might be something there...

Nowhere Man added "Some of those Echelon goons will be mentalists or mystics. They will be listening for thoughts, probing for whatever is in your head."

Haunt was staring at the compound then turned slowly. "Wait... you... you haven't told us everything have you?"

Nowhere Man crossed his arms. "Best you don't."

Haunt snarled, standing and striding towards Nowhere Man who stood impassive....
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land"

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jan 25 2021, 12:41

Admin wrote:Haunt was staring at the compound then turned slowly. "Wait... you... you haven't told us everything have you?"

Nowhere Man crossed his arms. "Best you don't."

Haunt snarled, standing and striding towards Nowhere Man who stood impassive....

Frostbite spoke up before things got nasty, "Wait, I didn't come here to see you fall over one another as to whom would get captured fastest"

Looking back to the compound Frostbite continued, "So they know that we might want to try and spring our people. Can we make a diversion sufficient to draw them out, say taking down the power source - assuming its a big one, then it would not only knock out this compound it would knock out other things also so that our target might look less obvious? Even so, if we can get in, if we can knock them back to reserve power, how would we get out? Thoughts?"

Frostbite looked back from one to the others, mindful of the different ways they could yet be detected, scanned and sized up before they even knew they were coming. Frostbite also, mentally drew aside Frostbot and asked him, 'We might need to get our heads together to figure out a way around this. This is a tough nut to crack but that they have so much different layers tells me that its complex and complexity can get costly if one thing ends up cascading into another in unforeseen ways. What do you think?'

OOC: OK so we know they know and now we know they know. Can we cause a big enough diversion, power plant is my suggestion but Nowhere Man would know if tactically this would work or not. Second, its what to do when in there, if we can get to Melody and Battle Bug, then getting out isn't the problem, so much as is getting out alive. BB might be able to take on Adjutant, but then again, I'd not want to stand around and see that fight because in this world it would be to the death. Righto, so need a workable plan that will get us in and out in one piece....simples affraid

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jan 26 2021, 10:15

Frostbite played referee and Haunt leaned in. "I told you he'd be like this! He is NOT a team player! In a 'game' like this where the stakes are capture or death, that will get most if not all of us done in without even knowing why!"

Nowhere Man paused before replying "You said it yourself. This game has the biggest stakes and coming second means you are in jail or dead. If you can't deal with that feel free to leave. I plan to get in there, mess stuff up and get his people out." he said with a flick towards Frostbite. "There's no easy way to do that."

"At least TELL us what will happ..."

Nowhere Man waved him silent. "Do your part. Best you don't know any more."

He turned to Frostbite. "You ready?"

'The systems in there will have been designed by Wandafar with the aid of my counterpart. As such it will have an AI that will rotate security protocols to delay whilst Echelon agents close in. There is also a risk that I will be trapped inside any systems. They may consider me the biggest prize because I can increase their combined processing power by a percentage. I have no intentions of simply being 'absorbed' into their systems. Therefore I suggest this. If I DO get captured in some way I shall set off a 'logic bomb' inside their systems that will spread like a virus to all connected systems. I will be destroyed in the process. I can only do this with your consent.' said Frostbot inside Frostbites' head.

Frostbot. Gone... forever?

"Are you ready?" hissed Nowhere Man.

Haunt leaned into Nowhere Man. "If this goes south, and I expect it will, I'll make sure the last thing I do before they take me down is take YOU down..." He marched away to watch the distant compound, standing pristine and mostly clean and white/grey against the red murk.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 26 2021, 12:03

Admin wrote:Frostbot. Gone... forever?

"Are you ready?" hissed Nowhere Man.

Haunt leaned into Nowhere Man. "If this goes south, and I expect it will, I'll make sure the last thing I do before they take me down is take YOU down..." He marched away to watch the distant compound, standing pristine and mostly clean and white/grey against the red murk.

The world hung suspended...Frostbite didn't know what to say the words left him momentarily stunned. He had seen what could happen if Frostbot was without him, but he had no idea how he would cope without Frostbot. But what could he do, Frostbot was a part of Him but if Frostbite decided to sacrifice himself Frostbot would not stop him. Could he not extend the same right to his companion? Could he demand he not give up his life if he felt he had no other choice? It was painful, even now Frostbite was risking his life for the lives of others, but to lose his closest companion, one whom being without seemed like a very distant memory, this would be hard. Harder than losing anyone, but if he was going to rescue his friends, it might be the only way. Internally, left dumb for words Frostbite barely was able to consent, but having made the decision he began to come out of his temporary shock and stupor.

After repeating Frostbots warning about security aimed at keeping them contained whilst Adjutant and others came in, he added, "My life is not as important as yours..." He looked at Haunt and then deliberately back to Nowhere Man before continuing, "These are my friends, get them out but make sure you get yourself out as well. I am more valuable to them alive but you are more valuable to those outside being alive as well. So don't wait for me, get my friends reunited with the mages and they can get you from here, even if I don't."

OOC: Here goes everything...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 28 2021, 00:30

Nowhere Man nodded, Haunt hissed "You're nearly as bad as this lunatic!"

"Good luck." rasped the dark clad Vigilante.

Then he vanished!

"What the...? What's the plan? Where has he..." started Haunt...

AWOOOOOO AWOOOOOO AWOOOOOO!!!

The alarm blared from the compound as Nowhere Man appeared in front of the gates, arms spread and waiting for robotic guards to sprint over to where he stood! The white clad Echelon Agent on the roof took to the sky, hovering directly over Nowhere Man!

The Turrets rotated to take aim at Nowhere Man!

The Three separate flying Echelon agents split up to come low and at different angles in a triangle formation on Nowhere Man! Frostbite's trained eye recognised a training manoeuvre, one they'd practised in order to capture a single target...

Haunt crouched next to Frostbite in the ruins looking at the scene a couple of hundred feet away. His hands were formed into axes and he snarled "Do we go around, find another way in while that jerk sacrifices himself, or do we go help him or... or just watch and see what happens? I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't leave him just to get taken down by those goons!"

Frostbite saw the practised manoeuvre of the trio, the pair of tough looking robots running up to where Nowhere Man was and the two turrets that trained on Nowhere Man.

More than that, Frostbite saw the single Echelon agent floating 200 yards straight up above Nowhere Man, looking down on the scene. Watching, waiting...

OOC Things are about to kick off! Assign Power Reserve, remember your defences and consider:

Crit Blow, Multi Attack (possibly on all three Echelon closing in, the two robots, the two sentry guns or the whole lot!) and how many dice into attack/defence...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 28 2021, 14:09

Admin wrote:More than that, Frostbite saw the single Echelon agent floating 200 yards straight up above Nowhere Man, looking down on the scene. Watching, waiting...

OOC Things are about to kick off! Assign Power Reserve, remember your defences and consider:

Crit Blow, Multi Attack (possibly on all three Echelon closing in, the two robots, the two sentry guns or the whole lot!) and how many dice into attack/defence...

Frostbite said to Haunt, "Whilst Nowhere Man is distracting the guards, take out as many as you can - I'm going to hit that guy above and see if I can disrupt their plan."

Switching over to his fluid form so that Frostbite was better able to defend himself in case things got really bad he went for his maximum attack OOC: Crit with 5/5 split on energy attack on the guy in the sky whilst he let Haunt join Nowhere Man in their attack on the Echelon base.

Deep inside this is not how Frostbite imagined a well-planned attack going. Nowhere Man ought to have to lead them away, this way they had no choice but to go on the attack and try and overwhelm the base with shear power. But Frostbite knew that this was going to be a really tough call, giving up the element of surprise by joining Nowhere Man, but he Kamazi tactics meant they had little choice, see him pulverised or join him to try and get in and get the others to get out.

OOC: Ugh he gave up the element of surprise? Still with them defences on this place, I am not sure that there ever was another way than frontal assault. I think I am going to regret this.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 31 2021, 10:01

OOC Not sure what you mean by 5/5. Dice? Attack/Defence dice? 50/50 with Power Reserve to Fluid Form and Energy Attack? If you attack then switch power reserve to fluid form you can attack with max power then switch to maximum defence. I've read the power description and this is fine (takes up one of your three actions which are normally Dice (Attack), Movement (automatic no dice needed) and Simple action (automatic no dice need). By 'simple' action it's normally using a power that does not require a dice roll, speaking, pulling a mask on etc).

Frostbite took aim. The target was some distance away but his accuracy these days was such that he could pretty much hit any target within his line of sight.

The white figure in the air hung over the battlefield, unmoved by the appearance of Nowhere Man. The three Echelon Agents at ground level moved in, shouting for Nowhere Man to "GET DOWN! HANDS UP! DON'T MOVE!" Frostbite noted the man in the air gave a shake of his head. He imagined inside that chrome fishbowl helmet he was muttering to himself at the incompetence of his troops.

THOOM!

The energy blast left Frostbites' hands!

OOC Crit Blow Energy Blast 25 + Accuracy 4D (this round is essentially a 'free attack' with surprise thanks to Nowhere Man's sacrifice.) + Roll(6d12)+0: 6,3,5,10,10,12,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 1,7,+0 Total:28 (53) vs
OV18 + Range 5 - Flank Attack 2 + No Acrobatics dice (not expecting attack from this direction) + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,11,+0 Total:14 (39)

Hit +5 (to 30) vs RV38 - 6 (Crit Blow) so RV32=No damage. Dev Attack would have inflicted 3 damage based on those rolls.

The blast struck true... and the man in the air turned casually as the beam splashed against his ultra dense form and washed over him without effect!

"Ohhhhhhh crap." muttered Haunt. "That's ADJUTANT!" he hissed. "Now we're REALLY in for an ass kicking!" he snarled. He stretched his body out and swung might hammer hands at Adjutant!

OOC DEV ATTACK AV10 + 6D Weaponry + Roll(8d12)+0: 11,9,4,9,2,7,3,11,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 1,9,+0  Total:32 (42) vs
OV18 + Dev Attack 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,7,+0 Total:8 (34)

Hit (+4) to 19 EV vs RV38 - 12 (Dev Attack) (RV26)=No damage

BANG! POUND!

The hammers slammed against Adjutant in the air and Haunt groaned. "It's like hitting a mountain." he muttered with both hands throbbing as they changed back into human shape!

"Well this is a bust." muttered Haunt as he watched the three Echelon agents at ground level fly to Nowhere Man and one stepped forward. "Now we've got you, lunatic!" she hissed.

And her hand passed through Nowhere Man's body!

Frostbot spoke up inside Frostbite's head 'Switching to Thermal, it appears that Nowhere Man is giving off no heat source, if he is even there at all, but this dust is playing havoc with heat signatures that are close together.' the symbiote said, referring to the three Echelon agents around Nowhere Man...

"The real targets are THERE." said the man in the air. The Echelon Agents, confounded and swiping at air, whirled and looked to the ruins where Adjutant pointed!

Haunt turned to Frostbite and snarled. "He's done it again!" as the 'image' of Nowhere Man vanished. "He's thrown US under the bus! I TOLD you this would happen!"

Adjutant floated down quickly as if on a wire to where Frostbite and Haunt were stood. "Echelon High Command wants a word with YOU." he said, pointing at Frostbite!

OOC Adjutant is far faster, no need to roll initiative.

"Make sure they can't escape!" said Adjutant and the three Echelon agents started to spread out. "Once Haunt is down the other one will surrender." he said with surety.

"Arrogance is not an admirable trait in a 'hero' Watkins!" snarled Haunt.

"Agreed." said Adjutant. "I'm simply stating facts, Haunt."

OOC AV18 + 3D M Arts + Roll(5d12)+0: Roll(5d12)+0: 11,7,5,9,11,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:31 (49) vs
OV10 + 3D Acrobatics (3D Weaponry) + Roll(5d12)+0: 2,3,7,8,11,+0 Total:19 (29)

+6 (to 44) vs RV24 (using stretching to absorb, can't attack this round)= 20 RAPs. Haunt is DOWN and OUT!

SMACK!

Haunt vanishes, his robed form punching through the brickwork of the crumbling wall behind and he vanishes under a pile of bricks and rubble!

"You're a smart fellow." said Adjutant. "Know this. I'm not going to mess around with you. Surrender or I shall take hold of Haunt and stretch him until he snaps. He is on the list of Echelon priorities but you appeared on the radar and are number one. That dark clad idiot is a distraction, nothing more. I don't have to club you unconscious, 'Frostbite', you are smarter than that."

The three Echelon Agents started to move in and Adjutant barked "Stay back! Leave this to me or face the consequences."

They stopped.

Adjutant 'hissed' the chrome helmet dome open and Frostbite recognised Albert Watkins, the man he'd met once or twice in his own reality who went by Adjutant though his identity was public. "Joseph. Listen to me. This is a fight you can't win." he said quietly.

Frostbite was about to answer when Frostbot spoke in his mind 'A silent electronic alarm was just tripped and started to transmit from the compound, but it was silenced a heartbeat later.'

OOC Another 'no win, kobyashi maru' situation? Or is something else going on...? You're up. Then the three Echelon agents.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 31 2021, 17:57

Admin wrote:OOC Not sure what you mean by 5/5. Dice? Attack/Defence dice? 50/50 with Power Reserve to Fluid Form and Energy Attack? If you attack then switch power reserve to fluid form you can attack with max power then switch to maximum defence. I've read the power description and this is fine (takes up one of your three actions which are normally Dice (Attack), Movement (automatic no dice needed) and Simple action (automatic no dice need). By 'simple' action it's normally using a power that does not require a dice roll, speaking, pulling a mask on etc).

OOC: Sorry I meant a split in my power reserve with 5 dice to accuracy and 5 to effect, all on the energy attack. I'll try and be more specific next time

Admin wrote:OOC Another 'no win, kobyashi maru' situation? Or is something else going on...? You're up. Then the three Echelon agents.

Frostbite nodded, he knew when he was beaten, but couldn't help if something else was in play here. "What happened to you, to all of you? Has Wandafar and my companion so blinded you to the reality of what is going on here that you've lost all leave of your senses? Things are bad, but you've given up all hope and turned this into a fortress whilst throwing the rest of humanity to the wind. This isn't you, but somehow Wandafar's grief has infected you all with hopelessness that has you believing you can't win and but that if you're lost already, only all this..." he said gesturing to all that is around them, "...all this is some sort of noble distraction from that harsh reality. Your all deeply depressed, grieved but somehow keeping up this "noble fight" distractions you from what you've lost. You've lost what it is to be human and for that reason alone Advent has won, it's only a matter of time and so with it, you've lost the real reason worth fighting for. The lights are on, but no ones home you just don't want to admit it yet."

Frostbite held out his hands so that they could bind him. His plan was to get close and to get to Wandafar and see if he could break through this cold wall of grief. So often in life it had come down to this. Not brawn or power but the human spirit, will, of appealing to nobler ideals to that which made being human worth something. Made in the image of God, and worth redeeming, worth rescuing because everyone had value. But for all their power, it seemed the fight was over bar the shouting. Well, it seems for the time being, that Nowhere Man had lead them into something. A one way trip but Frostbite wasn't giving up till his last breath was pulled from his dead body, not by a long shot.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 02 2021, 06:30

"Shackle him." ordered Adjutant. "Power Restraints. If he tries anything, kill Haunt."

He hovered, watching as two Echelon agents moved closer to Frostbite and once fished out a sturdy pair of manacles that had electronic circuitry on them. The third Echelon agent fished through the smashed rubble to drag Haunt's unconscious form out.

"You hit him pretty hard Adjutant! I don't know if he's..." said the Agent

"He's fine. Haunt is one of the tougher Resistance operatives. He recovers quickly. Get shackles on him as well." said Adjutant as he watched the shackles click around Frostbites' wrists.

Immediately Frostbot spoke inside Frostbite's mind 'The inhibitors are ... skrrrzzzzz.... crackle... skrrrrzzzz...'

Frostbite felt like he still had his powers but that if they were used they would be dampened, like his connection to Frostbot was being damped!

Just then there was a distant CRACK followed by a roar and a BOOOOM! as something got louder...

"What now?" muttered Adjutant. "Watch him. He tries anything, batter him but we want him ALIVE!" hissed the powerful former hero. He took off, heading straight up into the red dust...

"What's going on?" asked one of the Echelon Agents.

"I don't know! Hey robots!" called another.

The two sentry robots jogged over, towering over the group aside from one of the Echelon agents who was tall and bulky.

"Report." said one of the Agents.

"AN ALARM HAS BEEN TRIGGERED IN THE COMPOUND. FORCES ARE MOVING TO INVESTIG... ALERT! ALERT! PRISONER ESCAPING!" said one of the Robots and the pair of them sprinted off through the dust towards the compound!

"What? Is this YOUR doing?" snarled one of the agents, a female from the body shape but the all white/fish bowl helmets obscured her identity.

"Heads up jerks." said a voice, muffled through rags.

The three Echelon agents spread out and looked up... as a ragged form dropped down amongst them! Instead of attacking them Yeoman simply touched a finger onto the manacles that Frostbite had on his wrists... instantly the Vanguardian felt a MASSIVE weight and fell to the floor whilst the manacles broke under the weight of suddenly being hundreds of tons! Frostbite looked up as Yeoman spun to face the three Echelon agents.

"Well?" he asked Frostbite. "That black garbed idiot told us we were ALL needed and now we're here... and so is Adjutant, somewhere! We need to get out of here!"

The three Echelon agents rushed at Yeoman and Frostbite!

OOC When you use your power reserve this game makes no distinction between attack/damage, lumping it all into one stat which I disagree with (you might be powerful but inaccurate or accurate but weak but in this game you are powerful AND accurate) but for now you don't have to worry about splitting between attack/defence. You just boost Energy Blast from 15 to 25 and woe betide anyone you zap! Well, aside from Adjutant, you'd need a powerful blast indeed to hurt him!

Speaking of which you don't have long - Adjutant will be back shortly and you face off against three Echelon Agents with Yeoman at your side... You're up! The manacles are smashed, so much scrap under the weight suddenly placed on them by Yeoman's power
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 02 2021, 10:05

Admin wrote:Speaking of which you don't have long - Adjutant will be back shortly and you face off against three Echelon Agents with Yeoman at your side... You're up! The manacles are smashed, so much scrap under the weight suddenly placed on them by Yeoman's power[/i][/color]

Not wasting a moment, Frostbite levelled his arms and blasted at all 3 Echelon goons, hoping to get them all in one almighty blast. As he did so he shouted at Yemon to take the shackles off Haunt so he could recover and they could try to make good on Nowhere Man's distraction.

OOC: Thank for the clarification on energy reserve, all in on energy attack multi-attack on all three - please. Not sure if should go for Devastating attack or if that is overburdening the dice such that only a truly high roll will make it if I can get away with making this attack a D attack I will go for it time is essential.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 02 2021, 15:26

OOC For Frostbite the things you need to (mainly) manage are:

How many points from power reserve to put into Energy Blast (your main attack) or something else (these days he's as strong as Superman if you fancy getting up close and personal with bad guys) and...

How many dice from your attack pool to use (ugh hate that 'dice pool' thing, reminds me of trying to run Shadowrun in the eighties or whenever 1e came out) and how many from defence. However many dice you use in attack means less dice to use in defence and vice versa.

I'll assume you want to hit all three and throw all 4D into attack.

Multi Attack DEV ATTACK Energy Blast 25 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 8,1,7,12,3,8,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 7,11,+0 Total:34 (59) vs
Highest OV 11 + Acrobatics 3D + Multi 4 + DEV ATTACK 8 + Roll(5d12)+0: 10,2,2,4,4,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 8,12,+0 Total:28 (51)
+4 (to 29) vs Highest RV 18 + Multi 4 - Dev Attack 12 (RV10)=19 RAPs damage.

All three of the Echelon Agents are DOWN and OUT.

Frostbite unleashes his most powerful blast, lacking in accuracy but more than making up for it with sheer ferocity!

There is a THOOM! and the trio of Echelon Agents including the bulky, powerfully built man are blown backwards a short distance through the dust and rubble to tumble into the ruined street, unconscious!

Yeoman touches the manacles and they crumple, collapsing under their own weight almost instantly before it passes. Haunt is picked up under an arm as if he were weightless and Yeoman hisses "Nowhere Man has a LOT to answer for! This is a cluster**** of the highest order!"

The alarm blaring from the compound is joined by the RATATATATATTATAT! of powerful automated sentry guns!

"Oh no... I asked for volunteers, I have no idea who came along, just got here as fast as I could!" hissed Yeoman. He peered through the dust, trying to make out details of the compound a hundred or more yards away and failing. "DAMN this dust!" he snarled. "Come on Haunt, get that healing factor working buddy!" he said, shaking his friend. Turning to Frostbite he hissed "It's time to go. When Adjutant gets back we'll be in..."

"Trouble?" asked Adjutant, floating above the scene and looking down, arms crossed.

"I was about to say deep **** but trouble will do." muttered Yeoman.

"I want HIM alive" said Adjutant referring to Frostbite "but it really doesn't matter what state you and Haunt are in. As for ... aha."

Nowhere Man appeared twenty feet away, standing in the dusty streets.

"You want me?" he rasped.

"Me? I couldn't care less but you ARE a pain in the butt and I'll enjoy taking you down most of all. In fact..." said Adjutant "You can ALL give it your best shot. I want you to realise how very, very out of your depth you are!"

Frostbite groaned inwardly. As powerful as he was these days Adjutant, in ANY time period would knock his best efforts out of the park! Well, unless he had the dark power but ... he shuddered. Best not to go there.

In any case, it looked like he was due for a kicking. Having tried to appeal to Adjutant's heroic nature and basically been ignored, he knew it would come down to a fight or surrendering...

OOC Go for broke +8/-12 Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 10,10,4,9,8,4,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 9,5,+0 Total:34 (59) vs
Highest OV 8 + Multi 4 + GFB 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,11,+0 Total:20 (40)
+6 (to 30) vs Highest RV8 + Multi 4 - GFB 12 (RV0)=30 RAPs

Dex to 38, Str to 36, Power Reserve to 38
+1 to Dex (39) and Str (37) , 4 to jumping, 7 to sonar (11) 25 split between Kinetic Absorption and Energy Absorption (17/17)

Dev Attack AV39 + 4D M Arts + Roll(6d12)+0: 10,2,9,1,9,5,+0 Total:18 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 4,4,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 11,10,+0 Total:47 (86) vs
OV18 + 0D Acrobatics (unaware of attack direction/source) + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,3,+0 Total:12 (30)
+11 (to 48) vs RV38 - Dev Attack 12 (RV26)=22 RAPs.

Adjutant is DOWN and OUT!

A ringing sounded in Frostbites' ears. Dust - even more than the red dust that hung in the air like low lying mist - was churned up and the hero looked up from where he'd ... been flung? He was about fifty feet from where he'd been stood and stumbled to his feet, trying to figure out what had happened...

Nowhere Man stood impassive, arms crossed and turned to look at Frostbite who floated over. The ruined building was gone, a massive pile of rubble and a crater where a white clad Adjutant lay at the bottom... with Battlebug stood over him. The sheer force of his punch, thousands of times more powerful than the most powerful Nuclear blast ever devised by man, had pounded out a shockwave that flattened ruined buildings for hundreds of yards around and thrown sensors out of the Echelon sentry guns! Even the red dust had cleared, but was slowly drifting back in...

The boy was clad in orange US style prison overalls, sleeves missing and one torn up to make a ragged half mask across his face. He turned and hopped over to Frostbite, thudding into his friend/mentor/leader with a hug and mumbling "You came back... you came back..." as he sniffled.

Frostbite turned to the compound which had a huge hole in the side and several dazed orange clad prisoners were making their way out - including a redhead Frostbite recognised as Melody.

"Unbelievable." said Yeoman. "I... I literally don't believe it." he said, walking over to where Adjutant lay, unconscious. "One shot? Who...?"

"We don't have long. Gather the escapees and go to ground Yeoman. This place just lit up like a beacon for every Echelon agent and robot for miles around. Plus.... he doesn't stay down for long." rasped the dark clad vigilante.

"Couldn't you have just TOLD us what you were doing?" argued Yeoman, clutching his fists.

Nowhere Man, impassive, shrugged. "She..." he pointed to the unconscious Echelon Female agent that Frostbite had put down "is a telepath and a mentalist. You do the math."

Yeoman was still angry but he turned to Adjutant. He flexed fists and moved a step towards the downed Echelon super "I think we should..."

"No." said Nowhere Man. "That's... not what we do. Not any more." He glanced at Frostbite and it seemed that the Vanguardian had made an impression even on this brutal uncompromising anti hero. "Leave him. It sends a message, but we need to go. Now."

Yeoman shook his head and turned to Frostbite. "We go, then ... then when they blanket this area, we make our move. London, or what's left of it, just became the biggest hotspot and I need to get my people out of the area as fast as possible.. There will be an army here in moments!" he said with a frown at Nowhere Man and a look at the boy stood next to Frostbite.

Then he looked back at Adjutant.

"I still don't believe it..." he muttered.

OOC Your call to where you go from here but there are dazed - still shackled and depowered - prisoners spilling from the compound and the robots/sentry guns are still active. Battlebug and Melody are free but Melody is still shackled. You have... maybe a minute at best before you have to fight hundreds of Echelon supers and robots/powered suit goons. Go!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 02 2021, 20:43

Admin wrote:The boy was clad in orange US style prison overalls, sleeves missing and one torn up to make a ragged half mask across his face. He turned and hopped over to Frostbite, thudding into his friend/mentor/leader with a hug and mumbling "You came back... you came back..." as he sniffled.

Frostbite grabbed the boy pulling him close and whispered, "Always son, always."

Then moving apart Frostbite started barking orders as if somehow he'd suddenly resumed command, "Listen up people, when Yeoman frees you free someone else then let's get out of here we have got no time for questions so don't ask them.  If you can't walk, someone will carry you, but let's keep it quick folk."

Then turning back to Battle Bug he said, "Billy I want you to take that suit off Adjutant, crush that helmet and let him have a taste of what he has condemned so many others too!"

Frostbite moved quickly to Melody, checking that she was ok, before smashing her bracelets and helping others to do the same before getting everybody to follow Yeoman, then he made sure that he was last to leave.  One final look at Adjutant, and with a sad shake of his head, he moved off with the others.  

OOC: Wow I so groaned myself when I suddenly read Adjutant appeared I thought so close but... then wow talk about a surprise.  I have to say that was enormously satisfying.  But can't claim much credit man without Battle Bug we'd be so taken out by Adjutant.  I wanted to leave a message and also a seed of doubt, I think if we can get the mages to their magic my thought is that we'll give people the chance to go to Albion, no wifi or Costa, mind you.  But a good place to heal and good work to be done.  I was out on my run tonight thinking about it, if we ever did a...last days of Frostbite, I think Albion is a place he'd like to retire.  I imagined Frostbot though otherwise immortal, wanting to be with him till the end - until his bioenergy was gone and Frostbot's glow faded.  Must be thinking about Frostbite's mortality or maybe my own ;-).  Not that these things frighten me, they don't.  

Anyway if those who don't want to come to Albion they can journey with us to our earth - but as long as they know what the score is.  Advent is still in play, and things can still go wrong.  But then again with them being present maybe what they witnessed in their own world, they can avert in ours.  Anyway, I realise we have a long way to go before this happens, but Frostbite is done with this world.  If he can rescue these folk and give them a new start he realises that some battles cannot be won and leave things here as they are might be the best he can do.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 03 2021, 15:17

Battlebug used his strength and agility to tear the stretchy white substance from Adjutant.

When he left the fallen hero there was a smashed helmet and pile of white ooze where the costume had seemingly broken down into whatever chemicals it was formed of.

Meanwhile Frostbite and Yeoman moved from prisoner to prisoner, removing shackles and restoring powers and abilities, albeit slowly. The shackles worked over time it seemed and whenever a power was used they would then 'kick in' to suppress that ability in the mind so that the user simply forgot how to use it at maximum effectiveness and eventually at all!

Melody was stunned and relieved to see the others and hissed "This place... Frostbite! We can't let our world get like this! We can't!"

More and more rebels turned up and the compound was attacked with lasers, explosions, mind powers and a dozen other different types of attack as those rebels willing to fight back and lay their lives on the line arrived to help Yeoman.

All the while Nowhere Man stood impassive, watching Adjutant.

With the compound in flames and what living Echelon staff in it either pounded into unconsciousness or running in fear, the robotic defences proved little match for the gathered supers. Simply by flying close Frostbite was able to deactivate them with Frostbot's assistance.

"Time to go." rasped a voice by Frostbites' ear as he stood overlooking the compound. There'd been no one close by and he jumped slightly as Nowhere Man was there. "Adjutant heals fast and unless you want to pound on him all afternoon to keep him down longer we have no choice but to leave."

"Which presents a problem." said the vigilante. "You aren't from here. You've helped us a little, but this is OUR fight. From here I can transport you to Stonehenge but that wouldn't do much good. The Echelon mages set up a compound around that place years ago to drain the magic from the leylines that pass through it. There is somewhere else I can transport you but I'm not welcome there. Caer Alwyn."

"Home of the Lore Knights." said Frostbite. Though he'd not been a Lore Knight himself he'd had interaction with a number of their former members, not least being Justin St Johns and his own version of Nowhere Man, amongst others.

"You are well read. The Lore Knights incarnation of the team would not side with Echelon and were battered into submission or killed. The place was ransacked, everything of note taken and then bombed. It's a burned out ruin now, the village deserted." said Nowhere Man.

"Then why...?"

"It remains a point where the right people who know the right process can unlock the magic in the place. If that happens then your Professor Thoth, Sorceress and Dr Mystical can recharge their magic and get you home." hissed Nowhere Man, voice always on the edge of breathless and little more than a whisper.

Yeoman strode over "A good couple of minutes work but I've told people to scarper. For once Nowhere Man you haven't proven to be a total dick." he said. Then, reluctantly, he held out a hand for the vigilante to shake. There was a pause as the black clad man looked down, then he tentatively became solid (it seemed he was always in a state of dispersal) to return the hand shake.

Yeoman grinned then turned to Frostbite. "This is just the start. With you and your friends we might have a way of turning this round! I never dreamed we'd have the power on our side to beat their poster boy, but there Adjutant is, and he's got something to think about besides a headache. I've told my people to scatter, get underground but wait for the call again. We need to hit another target, and soon, whilst they are drawn to this one!"

His smile, enthusiasm, hope shone through and Frostbite glanced at Nowhere Man. The vigilante had offered to transport Frostbite and his team to Caer Alwyn where they might be able to summon the magic needed to get away from this place, and here was Yeoman thinking Frostbite would stay and help to fight...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Feb 03 2021, 17:51

Admin wrote:Yeoman strode over "A good couple of minutes work but I've told people to scarper. For once Nowhere Man you haven't proven to be a total dick." he said. Then, reluctantly, he held out a hand for the vigilante to shake. There was a pause as the black clad man looked down, then he tentatively became solid (it seemed he was always in a state of dispersal) to return the hand shake.

Yeoman grinned then turned to Frostbite. "This is just the start. With you and your friends we might have a way of turning this round! I never dreamed we'd have the power on our side to beat their poster boy, but there Adjutant is, and he's got something to think about besides a headache. I've told my people to scatter, get underground but wait for the call again. We need to hit another target, and soon, whilst they are drawn to this one!"

His smile, enthusiasm, hope shone through and Frostbite glanced at Nowhere Man. The vigilante had offered to transport Frostbite and his team to Caer Alwyn where they might be able to summon the magic needed to get away from this place, and here was Yeoman thinking Frostbite would stay and help to fight...

Taking Yeoman to one side Frostbite said to him, "How long can you continue with this battle. One the one side you've got Advent, who if you win against Echelon will sweep in on you. And if you lose...? Look, I'm all for fighting a battle and for fighting when the cause is just, but I am not sure what you gain if you win, apart from sticking to your principles. We have a way out of here. We will gather our mages and they will be able to open a portal to our own earth. One thing is for sure, their Advent remains strong but it hasn't come to the terrible state that has occurred here. If you want, you can fight this battle with us there, although some of you will have counterparts in that earth, which will need to be sorted. However, some of your people might want an alternative to fighting. I have a place, its primitive by earth standards, magic is real and so things are different, but I am friends with the queen and life there will have a real chance unlike here. I know you might not want to leave what you have here, but I question what you have left to fight for, wherewith us you can make a real difference. Here you remain either a statistic or eventually a drone for Echelon. Your choice, but I never came to win this fight and walk away from my own - Advent is still a real and present danger in my world and I cannot leave them undefended. You of all people will appreciate that."

Frostbite stood back, he'd not intended to be so open but he knew that Yeoman might be stubborn so whilst he had his ear he intended to offer all that he could. Knowing that at the same time it spelt out that he was leaving one way or another.

OOC: I want to make the best speed for Caer Alwyn, with those who will come. With a possible side trip back to Avalon and then home.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 04 2021, 16:55

Melody breathes a sigh of relief "Thank goodness! This place is a lunatic asylum!" as she hears Frostbites' words.

Battlebug sighs then nods "Frostbite is right. This ISN'T our fight and the problems here run deeper than simply overthrowing Echelon. Have you thought that if you do that then there is nothing - no unified force - to prevent ADVENT from conquering Britain?"

Yeoman scowls. "Then all we've achieved today is..."

"To free captives, to send a message. That ECHELON cannot have it's own way. That people will resist and CAN resist. That another way should be found." hissed Nowhere Man. "Wandafar may have lost his humanity and see things in a binary fashion... right or wrong, black or white... but we have beaten one of Echelon's champions. Maybe... maybe they will talk."

"We?" asked Yeoman. "I've always been of the opinion that with you there is no WE only I..." said Yeoman, embittered. "Go, all of you. Now. Echelon is on their way. I can't stand around any longer wasting my time... or your precious time."

Yeoman spun on his heel and started barking orders to the escaped prisoners and those that had turned up to help. The backdrop of the prison in flames silhouetted his figure as he scooped up injured people in his arms then glanced back at Frostbite, Nowhere Man, Battlebug and Melody.

Then he took off into the red cloying mist!

Nowhere Man watched him go then turned to Frostbite. "Join hands with your friends." he ordered.

Once done he placed a hand on Frostbites' shoulder and and FWASH!!!

They reappeared in the ruins of a smashed church, the ceilings caved in and walls half destroyed. There Thoth, Sorceress and Dr Mystical waited. Surprised at first they breathed sighs of relief and greeted Melody and Battlebug. Even Dr Mystical seemed relieved and Nowhere Man rasped "It's time to go. London is a hornets nest and if you ever want to leave this place you must go now or risk being captured and 'turned' by Echelon."

Indeed, what sounded like air raid sirens rang out over London and a glance outside showed large dark shapes in the sky, Echelon craft with soldiers, robots and super agents intent on fighting back and crushing the rebellion!

With everyone in contact with everyone else there was another FWASH!!!

=========

Elsewhere...

A gargling, strangled, robotised voice growled. "Are we boring you Justin?"

Justin St John looked up, distracted. The pristine white room was occupied by a huge round table with white suited supers, officials, advisers and scientists sat at it, dozens of them. Some of the most powerful people in the country were sat here, both in terms of intellect, influence and in sheer power.

St John gave a tight smile and looked to the 'head' of the table where a larger chair - a throne more or less - sat. The occupant was small, squat and half robot, half organic. Wandafar was kept alive by machines and was mostly machine himself, victim of the ADVENT attack that had failed and resulted in his near death, then his recovery and the birth of Echelon.

Frostbite was sat several seats down from the head, as was Saladin on the opposite side. Other powerful supers sat around. Most eyes were on him. Saladin sat bored, feet on the table and checking his nails.

"Sorry. Just... a sound I'd not heard in a long, long time." replied Justin St John. "The land is calling. There is a threat I must attend to."

Saladin looked up. "A threat? Surely a threat to one is a threat to all?"

St John smiled, though there was no love lost between the pair. "This is a Lore Knights matter. It involves honour, sacrifice, nobility. Words that are alien to you."

"Words like power, success and victory have more appeal I find." replied Saladin with a charming smile though it never reached his eyes.

"I have to go." said St John, standing. "The land is calling, the first time in an age and I am being summoned."

Wandafar was about to speak then he looked distracted. "I... Adjutant has been defeated. Our plan to draw out the rebels succeeded but they freed the boy and he defeated Adjutant. Quite handily." he rasped.

Saladin chuckled. "I told you we should have moved him here instead of using him as bait. You can't trust that shifty black suited son of a... wait." He looked at Justin St John. "Wasn't Nowhere Man going under the name of Wraith, once upon a time? Wraith, a Lore Knight in the same team, under YOUR leadership St John, back when you had REAL power as Ghost Knight?"

Justin St John replied with a steely gaze then looked around the table. "I am being summoned. The land calls. I must go. Now."

He vanished!

Wandafar watched the spot, seeing the empty chair. He then turned to Frostbite. "Gather a team. A FAST team. Get to Caer Alwyn in Wales." he growled.

"But that place was bombed... there's nothing left. Advent saw to that in the first few weeks of the war...." replied Frostbite. Saladin stood, dusting himself off. "You want fast? There's no one faster than I! And if you want a job done right... well I've already beaten the boy once, I can do it again. I've also seen what the 'other' Frostbite can do, and I am not impressed." he said with a grin and wink at Frostbite who had to bite his tongue.

Wandafar watched the pair of Echelon leaders. Both powerful, effective, different and like most everyone around this table, opposed to each other. Only Wandafar held them together, and the cold, calculating machine half of his brain would have it no other way!

"Work together. Gather Echelon three." said Wandafar.

"Three? But one and two are..." started Saladin.

"Defending the realm. Don't question me Saladin, just get me results. Frostbite, I want the other you alive so I can extract the computer core. The boy alive or in as few pieces as possible. The Avatar project is not yet complete and his dna may be the key to ..."

"To building you a new body?" asked Saladin.

"The key to a cloning process that sets up everyone on this council and all those loyal to the Echelon cause with a transferral of their minds into a body with no practical superhuman limits." replied Wandafar coldly.

"Thanks to my own DNA and the studies you made about my genetic nature..." said Saladin, though it was clear he wasn't happy about the process.

"Thanks more to your counterpart Mr King. How is Richard these days? Still screaming to be let out inside your head?" asked one of the white suited scientists who smiled at Saladin. The superhuman bristled and turned to Wandafar. "Time is wasting. Gather the team. I shall meet them at Caer Alwyn."

He walked from the room but stopped when Wandafars' voice echoed across the long meeting hallway. "Work together with Frostbite on this Saladin. Do not underestimate these people." he gave a glance to Frostbite then added "Remember who you are dealing with. This is the Vanguard, and despite your confidence you, Frostbite and a number of others in this room should remember what that means."

Saladin bristled. As part of the Vanguard he had been a passenger whilst Richard King controlled their body. Now he was in charge, and King a prisoner in his own mind. He glanced at Frostbite who was getting up and looked at the Echelon section leaders face. Was that... doubt? Regret?

They left the cavernous room and entered pristine white corridors, the guards at the door in all white armour snapping to salute the two powerful Echelon leaders.

"Don't slow me down." hissed Saladin, then he stalked off in the other direction.

=========

"Haven't been here for a while." rasped Nowhere Man.

"Why are we so far away? And what happened to this place?" asked Thoth.

"There is a magic shield in place preventing me from teleporting closer. I can walk there, but I can't use my magic to help me." replied the vigilante.

Frostbite looked from the crest of a hill at the distant valley and what had been the village and manor of Caer Alwyn, home of the Lore Knights. It was a ruin, bombed, smashed, craters and blackened beyond recognition.

"There's no dust here." said Melody, pulling the sleeve from her face. "Fresh air! At last!"

Everyone breathed in, though Frostbite saw distant storm clouds gathering.

He glanced at Nowhere Man, saw the vigilantes eye slits narrow.

As if sensing the gaze Nowhere Man turned. "I'm not welcome here. The land... remembers the abuse of its powers and responsibilities. You should expect company..."

Then he vanished!

Thoth walked up. "There he goes again. What an idiot." he said, shaking his head.

Sorceress breathes out "I can sense it. MAGIC. Lots of it. We can recharge the weapons... more! We can regain our powers!"

Battlebug looked at her then Dr Mystical and leaned in "What's the play boss? I'm not sure I trust all this... magic stuff.."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Feb 04 2021, 21:02

Admin wrote:"There's no dust here." said Melody, pulling the sleeve from her face. "Fresh air! At last!"

Everyone breathed in, though Frostbite saw distant storm clouds gathering.

He glanced at Nowhere Man, saw the vigilantes eye slits narrow.

As if sensing the gaze Nowhere Man turned. "I'm not welcome here. The land... remembers the abuse of its powers and responsibilities. You should expect company..."

Then he vanished!

Thoth walked up. "There he goes again. What an idiot." he said, shaking his head.

Frostbite looked quizzically at Thoth, "Not everybody is made the way you are Thoth, I think many lesser men would long have given in and been bawling wrecks. Besides which, somehow behind that granite-like exterior I think he managed to find a heart. Don't underestimate him."

Admin wrote:Sorceress breathes out "I can sense it. MAGIC. Lots of it. We can recharge the weapons... more! We can regain our powers!"

Frostbite smiled at the Sorceress, relieved to have brought them so respite. It pained him that the very atmosphere was so toxic and harmful to his friends and allies. Their being here was some strange mistake. He just wished Yeoman wasn't so stubborn, his people could have had a very different life. Fighting Echelon was a lost cause, but I guess he felt he'd gone so far it was too late to change. Frostbite breathed deep, the air did feel good.

"I guess this is your equivalent of a gas station. Best fill up quick, we may yet have company. I'm not sure we are out of the woods yet! As fanatical as Yeoman is, I think Echelon is far worse."

Admin wrote:Battlebug looked at her then Dr Mystical and leaned in "What's the play boss? I'm not sure I trust all this... magic stuff.."

Frostbite put a hand on his friend's shoulder, he loved the earnest young man. His recent brush with death, their battle in Avalon and now this...He realised that as a solider one should never get to close, friends die in battle. But they had gone through so much, a real band of brothers, it was hard not to feel. He may be ice hard on the outside but within still beat a warm living heart.

"You are right to be cautious Billy. Look what happened last time Elias, got a taste of power and look what it did to him! And yet right now I am not sure we have the luxury of leaving him out of this. Elias knows that if he went against us, he'd not be free. He may yet make a break for it, so we need to keep two eyes on him.
"

Turning back to the storm clouds, Frostbite narrowed his vision and spoke so only Melody and Battle Bug could hear, "I've got a feeling we aren't out of the woods. We got a beating last time because they got the drop on you, Billy. Your powers are astonishing but if they get a chance to hit you before you can let your surge take you where we need to go, then..." Frostbite didn't need to say anymore. He knew that a speedster like Lionheart or as they had faced, or someone like Atomica with her nuclear powers could make life hard for them without Battle Bug in play. Their mirror image doubles were more experienced, powerful and wily. More so they were driven by a need to survive at any cost. They'd be ruthless, and they'd not consider killing indiscriminately to get to their goal. Wandafar had ever been fascinated by Frostbot and adding another to his vast arsenal would mightily improve his abilities to succeed where perhaps they'd failed.

"OK folks lets move it out, I think we're going to be getting company soon. Elias, I don't need to tell you what that means, if we get captured, I've no way of telling if they will not gut you, or keep you. You'd best decide now if you are with us or against us. But don't turn on us halfway through - understand?" Frostbite levelled a gaze at the man, his expression hard to read but a hardness came to his eyes that was unmistakable.

OOC: Love this, wow I really thought we could get Yeoman to budge, if we stuck around who knew how long we'd be here, bugging out seemed a genuine option. But getting bogged down here all the while leaving the UK undefended, as much as it pains me to leave. Still loving all the thought you've put into the back story. I've no doubt, God willing, one day we might be back ;-) Anyway, if the others get powered up, we get the weapons stored so they can make the best use of them Elias will have to fight with magic alone, I don't want him getting a power trip. And I think we'd best make our stand at the castle or what remains of it. Oh, I think this is going to smart... just one last thing, can BB keep his adrenaline surge on, at least for the moment so that he can not be taken advantage of by Saladin or any other surprise attacks? Just asking. I think I know what you going to say, but without him, the battle will be pretty one-sided, poor Melody and I aren't much of a match for the kid on a good day, thank goodness he's on our side :-)."

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 07 2021, 10:50

Battlebug frowned. "I'm pretty fast Boss but some of the guys we're up against move faster than I can blink! My power is temporary, fleeting. If I use it too much it WILL burn out like it has done before, no doubt about it. They gave me some talk in there about being powerful and useful and key to the Echelon cause and wanting to turn them but..."

"...but I think they wanted the power in me, not me as a whole. One of the scientists who hooked me up to their machines was jabbering away and I caught some of it. My power is adrenaline based. As you know adrenaline is a 'fight or flight' response but my adrenaline triggers some kind of... external force. Some energy or, a gateway or something. From that comes the power to multiply my abilities by ... well, billions of multiples. Sure I can move reasonably quick, my reactions are super fast, I can power up my strength and so on but the 'gateway' I can summon is my real power. That's what they are trying to duplicate I guess. An army of ... well, 'Me'."

"More than one of you." said Melody. "The thought makes me shudder!" she laughs!

"Nyaa Nyaa" said Battlebug, sticking his tongue out playfully but he turned serious enough soon after. "There's something else. They want something inside you boss. A 'Frostbot' whatever that is. They have a way of getting it out as well so I guess we need to escape from here as soon as we can. I can't believe the Wandafar here is bad but something happened and to save his life he was merged with the Frostbot of this reality. After that? He was different, changed, more efficient, colder. He even lost his crazy east German accent. I'm glad I was still quarantined by the time Nowhere Man busted me out. If they'd had got me to their main dome city... " he shuddered. "They'd probably have found some way to turn me against you!"

Frostbite knew the possibility of turning Battlebug against him was one he'd have to deal with at some point. Whether by magic, mind control, even a disagreement given that the teenager could react like any other. Time and experience would help with that. Frostbite was the leader of the Vanguard but he hadn't been the most powerful member for a while - Lionheart now Battlebug. Still, he didn't need to be. Somehow he had a knack of winning through, providing the leadership, drive and sometimes the luck needed to get the job done. As much as he wanted to deny it he was the 'glue' that attracted a disparate group of powerful people together and whatever 'it' was, Frostbite had 'it'. Of course, he also bore the pain and responsibility when those who followed him suffered. Such was the burden of the leader.

He blinked, then set off walking down the hill towards the smashed ruins of Caer Alwyn.

The others were chatting away, banter and laughter ringing out as they walked on the quiet lane. Despite the danger and the threat of more, they were a resilient bunch and even Dr Mystical seemed willing to toe the line in order to get home, despite that there would be some kind of punishment waiting for him and his actions.

=========

Unmolested for the twenty minute walk the group picked their way through the smashed village.

The 'Kings Dozen' sign hung off a ruined building and Thoth muttered "That used to be a cracking pub, served a great pint."

Dr Mystical frowned, crouching and running soil through his hands. "All of this, this place. It's permeated with magic. I had heard of it, knew of the Lore Knights but it seems unfathomable that any power could so completely defeat them. The land ... well it provided champions, protectors, and they must have..."

"Must have what?" said a deep, stern voice.

The voice echoed as if from inside...

A head to toe armoured man stepped from the back of ruined building. He held a spiked mace in hand and looked VERY unwelcoming, from his body language...

Battlebug hissed "Boss! There's more..."

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 Team-lore-knights-alternate-reality

Melody whirled, hands blazing with energy...

Thoth gulped, stepping behind Frostbite and Sorceress glanced about, unsure of herself...

Dr Mystical squeaked "I'm not really with these guys..." with a finger pointed up...

OOC There may be a slight delay with the next update as I'm having to stat up all these guys from scratch because a) Harry never shared the character sheets in the Lore Knights game (which I managed to save most of from the now defunct Yahoo Groups) and b) we use a different game system so the characters I will cook up will be this realities interpretation of the Lore Knights who retired some ten years or more ago.

David M, don't know if you keep up to date with the Vanguard game/adventures but I'd be interested in your interpretation of Ghost Knight if you get chance to stat the character up. In terms of points the characters would probably be around 1500-2000 being experienced, powerful, mid level heroes.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Feb 07 2021, 17:14

Admin wrote:Dr Mystical squeaked "I'm not really with these guys..." with a finger pointed up...

OOC There may be a slight delay with the next update as I'm having to stat up all these guys from scratch because a) Harry never shared the character sheets in the Lore Knights game (which I managed to save most of from the now defunct Yahoo Groups) and b) we use a different game system so the characters I will cook up will be this realities interpretation of the Lore Knights who retired some ten years or more ago.

David M, don't know if you keep up to date with the Vanguard game/adventures but I'd be interested in your interpretation of Ghost Knight if you get chance to stat the character up. In terms of points, the characters would probably be around 1500-2000 being experienced, powerful, mid level heroes.

Frostbite get Mystical a withering look, before stepping forward slowly. Not for the first time did this feel reminiscent of their recent encounter with Haunt, Yeoman and the team that so mirrored his own world's heroes, save their lives ended up in very different places. Frostbite had to wonder if this worlds Lore Knights were anything like the legendary group he knew little about from his own world. Where these villainous to his own heroic counterparts? Would these be ambivalent removed by magic to the affairs of the world around them or charged with a greater cause that meant even now there being here would be seen as an affront to that call that the land had placed on their lives?

"Lore Knights, we are strangers in this strange land, not from this earth, but travellers who through circumstances beyond our control have found ourselves in this earth, but not our own."

Assessing the mood, Frostbite gestured to his compatriots as much to reassure them not to do anything aggressive, as to ensure that this situation didn't end up in a fraught battle, which would tie up their time and resources, whilst allow Echelon to narrow in on them.

"We are trying to get back home, our allies here, are seeking to recharge their magic to open a portal for us to return, but Echelon even now hunt us to bring us to their side and this battle they wage against the Advent."

Frostbite waited as seemed polite to do for their leader, he knew so little about this fabled group, came forward and he could gain some sort of idea of how the chips would fall in this encounter. Though relaxed, Frostbite was never one to let his guard down completely. He was ready to shift into his more flexible form and blast as much as he was shake hands.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08 2021, 11:06

OOC Argh lost a post when about to click send. Weird too, randomly dropped connection and wiped the lot. Must remember to Ctrl A and Ctrl C more often...

Here we go again.

The armoured man stepped forward "I know you aren't from here Joe." he said, then his faceplate hissed open.

"That's Justin St John." said Sorceress. "The adviser to the government on metahuman affairs. In our world anyway. Here he's...?"

"Ghost Knight." said Thoth. "In our world he's retired. The Lore Knights haven't been a 'thing' for a while. However, in our world Justin St John is a valued friend. I've spent many an hour in his company. Admittedly to drink his extensive wine collection as much as for good company."

Frostbite stared back at the man who was in many ways a mentor, adviser, friend and ally in addition to bankrolling the Vanguard. Or at least, this realities' version of him.

"What's this all about Justin?" asked the big fellow called Ursa. "I was retired. Heck, I'm well out of all this, living a quiet life where people in white suits don't hassle anyone, and here I am again. Powers, Costume, Caer Alwyn, Lore Knights... love what you've done with the place by the way."

Ghost Knight scowled. "When ADVENT bombed Caer Alwyn they made my mind up for me. When they attacked and crippled my friend Wandafar they reinforced my resolve."

"The land isn't interested in revenge." said Tor, the giant stone humanoid towering over everyone.

"It's not interested in sitting in a field and pretending to be a rock either. How is that going for you Wendell?" asked Knave. The stone behemoth stared back, impassive.

Winterwolf chuckled and shook his head. "None of us wanted this. We walked away, handed the swords in. We'd done our bit for Queen, King, Country."

"I wasn't with the team for too long." said Cheshire. "But aren't you all missing the point? What's this REALLY about Justin?"

Ghost Knight glanced at his - former - team mates and hissed "Caldwell. It's time he paid for what he's done."

Red Dragon hovered over the group, hovering with leathery bat style wings. "Wraith was ejected from the Lore Knights for using his powers in a 'manner not befitting'." said the fellow with a welsh accent. "Which was a nice way of saying he was a murdering revenge driven psychopath."

Ursa scowled. "You don't know what he lost."

"I do." replied Red Dragon "And it doesn't excuse abusing his powers and position and betraying the trust that we, the land, put into him. What he did after that was..."

"Unforgivable." rasped Ghost Knight. "I'm not sure why you are here but Caldwell is knocking about somewhere. Hand him over and you can do... whatever it is you want to do. Unmolested. Wandafar wants you but you aren't from here. Nice job on Adjutant by the way. Also..." he gave a steely gaze at Frostbite. "I give you fair warning. Saladin is on his way here and so is your counterpart Frostbite, along with a bunch of heavy hitters. I don't know if you have a Saladin in your reality but he's like a starved attack dog here."

"If he makes trouble we'll deal with him." harrumphed Knave.

"Really? You think so? You know what Knave, you were always shooting your mouth off. When Saladin turns up how about you tell him what you just said?" said Ghost Knight, clearly annoyed.

Knave bristled but stayed quiet for a change.

Ghost Knight turned back to Frostbite. "Your choice Joseph. I don't know if there is a version of me, or the Lore Knights where you come from, but I give you my word. Hand over Nowhere Man and you will be allowed to pass peacefully into the bowels of the Manor ruins. I presume you want the caves and the throne room? You might have to clear rubble to get to it though."

Thoth leaned in "We don't owe Nowhere Man anything." he said to Frostbite. "And he can get himself out of his own scrapes. God knows he's put enough unwitting people into them and abused their trust."

Battlebug shook his head. "No way! He got me out of that Echelon gulag! Boss, we can't listen to these jerks!"

"Careful boyo." said Red Dragon. "Respect your elders, more importantly respect your betters."

Just then a dark form faded into view a few metres away from anyone. Nowhere Man stood there, arms crossed.

There was a collective intake of breath from the Lore Knights, most of whom hadn't seen their former team mate for over a decade and even then it had been to vote to strip him of powers after abusing the powers the land had granted him for his own purpose, that of revenge.

Time seemed to stop. Tor/Wendell twitched and seemed to nod slightly at Wraith/Nowhere Man/James Caldwell who remained impassive.

Finally, Ghost Knight hissed to Frostbite. "Well?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 08 2021, 12:38

Admin wrote:OOC Argh lost a post when about to click send. Weird too, randomly dropped connection and wiped the lot. Must remember to Ctrl A and Ctrl C more often...

Here we go again.

OOC: Ugh I feel your pain, so annoying.

Admin wrote:
The armoured man stepped forward "I know you aren't from here Joe." he said, then his faceplate hissed open.

"That's Justin St John." said Sorceress. "The adviser to the government on metahuman affairs. In our world anyway. Here he's...?"

Just then a dark form faded into view a few metres away from anyone. Nowhere Man stood there, arms crossed.

There was a collective intake of breath from the Lore Knights, most of whom hadn't seen their former team mate for over a decade and even then it had been to vote to strip him of powers after abusing the powers the land had granted him for his own purpose, that of revenge.

Time seemed to stop. Tor/Wendell twitched and seemed to nod slightly at Wraith/Nowhere Man/James Caldwell who remained impassive.

Finally, Ghost Knight hissed to Frostbite. "Well?"

"Justin do you believe in redemption?" Frostbite looked from Ghost Knight to Nowhere Man, "Are we doomed because of the things we have done, or can there be a chance to recover, rescue and even find redemption? After all our whole justice system is predicated on the idea that if a man or woman goes to prison for a crime - they come out suitable chastised and ready to make amends on their past choices. Haven't we all made mistakes, chosen badly, sometimes let duty and patriotism or just plain ole pride colour our preferences? I know I have. James used his powers and perhaps did so badly, but who appointed you as judges can you say that you will give him a fair trial, a trial you'd be willing to undergo if the tables were turned and this was your judgment day?"

Frostbite was moving slowly to impose himself between Nowhere Man and the group. He didn't make any sudden moves, but he made it clear that his actions were no threat.

"See I don't disagree James has been and done some terrible things. But look about you, why have you ignored all the greater calamities to settle this one? In the big scheme of things, will this settle your sense of honour? At this hour, your nation, your land is being purged in an unholy fight with Wandafar and his machines, seeking to purge his guilt and grief, and an alien inhuman force seeking to take all it can and move on. How can any of you talk about retirement whilst your land - stands on the brink of such devastation? You speak of what the land wants, I think more than punishing one man to make yourselves feel less ashamed at standing by and letting all this happen, you ought to think about the bigger picture here, friends. I don't disagree James ought to pay for his crimes, but again I ask, can you tell me that you are duly qualified and even have the means to make a fair trial possible under these circumstances? Echelon, presumably won't be happy and will want their pound of flesh from Nowhere Man and all those whom he has recently helped escape including my friends here. So I ask again, is this the hour of justice or just plain old mob rule? You tell me Justin, a man of the people, advisor to the government what have you convened here?"

Frostbite stood back impassive but arms crossed and body ready to fight if need be. He had no love for a man like James whose alliances served his own goals and often left t trail of broken bodies and promises. But this was no way to see justice done, and he wasn't about to stand by and let revenge take precedent over justice.

OOC: Well I've either ticked them all off or given their conscience a good tweak. We shall see, handy that James showed up. Clearly never one to run from a fight.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08 2021, 15:42

Ghost Knight stood, arms crossed as he listened. The other Lore Knights glanced at each other and one or two looked ready to butt in but were quietened.

Battlebug looked to be itching to pitch in too but Melody clamped a hand over his mouth!

Justin St John took his helmet off, running a hand through thinning short cropped hair. He looked roughly the same age, perhaps a little older than the JsJ he knew but more world weary.

"This isn't about me. It's about what he's done. What he continues to do. Have you told them Caldwell, how you got your powers?" asked Justin St John.

Nowhere Man was about to answer when another voice rasped out. "Don't bother. What's the point?"

Everyone turned to see another man - identical to Nowhere Man - stood on a low wall. His uniform was shredded in places, bloodied wounds peeking through and his mask was a torn mess adjusted to cover most of his face but revealing a blackened eye and gash above his eyebrow.

"Lost you lot." he said with a glance to Frostbite. "Took some tracking down. Should have known in this reality like a bunch of others there'd be a self righteous Justin St John but I didn't ever think I'd see the old gang back together." He stepped down from the low wall and dusted his hands off, walking forward. Glancing up and down at the pristine costume of his (this reality) counterpart he muttered "Nice threads." before turning to Thoth. "Got split up. Been to three realities before I tracked you to this one."

"You mean you can get us home?" asked Dr Mystical.

"I can get ME home. All of you? Not likely." answered Nowhere Man. "Besides, quiet you. I haven't forgotten what you did."

Dr Mystical looked sheepish and Nowhere Man (Frostbites reality) turned to Justin St John and the Lore Knights. "in answer to Ghost Knights question when MY Lore Knights stripped me of my powers for hunting down and killing the filth who tortured and killed Sarah I felt like my life was over. I was intending to end it when a Demon showed up and offered me a deal. I deliver souls for its nourishment and to torment and it gives me the means to deliver them. Yes I've done some dark deeds. Yes I've crossed the line. Yes I deserve punishment... but only after my job is done. You see unlike the Lore Knights I consider my role as the realms protector from the things people were never meant to know about to be an ongoing battle. They don't let up, and neither do I."

"Then why meddle in the affairs of Governments, Organisations, ADVENT and Echelon?" asked Justin St John.

"Because the 'enemy' works on their hearts, souls, minds. Wherever Evil rises I will meet it and fight it with whatever tool I deem best suited." answered Nowhere Man.

"By tool you mean the likes of Frostbite, the Vanguard and anyone else you can throw in the way of the bad guys?" asked Thoth, a distasteful look on his face.

"Too right. The lives of Billions of people are too precious to me to risk on whether I win a fist fight or not." growled Nowhere Man.

"You were always crap in a fight." said Ursa.

"Used to use a scythe if I remember." said Knave.

"That was a lifetime ago, when I was Wraith. He died at the same time as James Caldwell. All that's left in this beaten up battered old shell is a bitter twisted driven man with nothing to live for but plenty to not die for. I'm not asking for a medal, rather that you don't meddle and you leave me... him..." he said with a nod at Nowhere Man (this reality) "And them to do their thing."

There was a Woooooooooooooooooooooooooossssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! of air and an accented voice added "Or I have a better idea. I beat the lot of you into submission and you wake up with your powers suppressed and a deep regret you hadn't gotten on with what you wanted to do rather than stand around gassing." said Saladin.

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 Lionheart

He floated in the air looking down at those gathered. "Some faces I have't seen for a while. That you Professor Thoth? And.. Sorceress? Didn't we...?"

"We most certainly did NOT!" said Sorceress.

Saladin grinned. "No matter. Justin St John. Have you been hiding details from ECHELON? You appear not only to have superhuman abilities but have a bunch of friends who have some measure of power and are consorting with known ... TWO known felons..." he said with a glance at the two Nowhere Men. "...as well as targets high on ECHELON's wanted list. Anything to say?"

A FWWWWOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHH! and a white clad figure floated in the air above the village.

"This is turning into a right get together." muttered Battlebug, nervous that Saladin had taken him out so quickly last time!

Frostbite (this reality) hovered with white dots - about half a dozen - soaring in from the distance. "Saladin, stop messing about. Justin. Stand down. Frostbite..." he said to the Vanguardian. "You can't win this fight. Remember what happened last time. By joining Echelon your processing power might give us the edge we need to..."

"You'll believe any old rubbish Wandafar spouts." rasped Nowhere Man (this reality). "When in truth he's no longer the guy who watched soap operas, had friends, family, loved ones. He's more machine now than man. He's more at fault than I am for 'throwing people under the bus'."

Saladin considered. "Yes, yes, this is all very good. I'd really like to know though... who wants their teeth punching in first?" he said with a grin.

OOC This might end up as the mother of all battles!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Feb 08 2021, 17:27

Admin wrote:Saladin considered. "Yes, yes, this is all very good. I'd really like to know though... who wants their teeth punching in first?" he said with a grin.

OOC This might end up as the mother of all battles!

OOC: Yes I think I've heard that somewhere before affraid

Frostbite looked up to his counterpart, "You know... " He said before launching an attack at Saladin.

OOC: I was trying to surprise him, but I figure he will dodge but putting all I've got into hitting him with my Energy attack (devastating attack) so that Battle Bug and Melody (let alone the others) have a chance to respond without Saladin getting to them. I'll go into fluid form to improve my chances of survival as long as I can. I might have jumped the gun, but I didn't think it was time for a long speech, and Saladin would probably be ready to cut the legs from under me before I got the third word out anyway.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08 2021, 21:27

OOC Danger Sense 9 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,5,+0 Total:6 (15) vs
OV4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 9,10,+0 Total:19 (23) FAILED!

Frostbite caught Saladin by surprise! The PSI Corps fugitive was so reliant on his early warning danger sense letting him know of any potential problems that was caught (somewhat) by surprise when Frostbite didn't act as expected and chose fighting over words!

Frostbite blasts knowing full well that the villain would be using his astonishing superhuman speed rather than simply stand there waiting for his force field to soak it up (though his arrogance might allow that too).

OOC Dev Attack Energy Blast 25 + Accuracy 4D + Roll(6d12)+0: 8,5,3,1,8,12,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
7,10,+0 Total:33 (58) vs
OV26 + 2 Range + 0D Acrobatics (Surprised) -4 surprise + Dev Attack 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 3,1,+0 Total:4 (36) (Crikey. Saladin suffers a burnout of Mind Probe, Mind Blast, Analytical Smell, Danger Sense, Empathy, Postcognition) and suffers an attack on Body, Mind and Spirit. If Frostys hit smacks hard enough there may be no point in resolving that so...
HIT +7 (to 32) vs RV22 -12 (Dev Attack)(RV10)=22 RAPs. Saladin is DOWN and OUT!

Much like heavyweight boxes a hit at the right time and with a bit of luck can take practically anyone down at a certain power level!

THOOOOOMMMM!!!! The blast smacks Saladin square in the chest and Frostbite has the fleeting thought that he might never have landed a sweeter shot! Saladin sails out of sight hundreds of feet from view and was spinning like a rag doll the last time Frostbite caught a glimpse!

Of course, it wouldn't be long... maybe a minute, maybe half that time... before Lion... before Saladin got back onto his feet and back in the fight!

Ghost Knight slammed on his helmet "LORE KNIGHTS! TO ARMS!"

"Aside from shouting in my ear..." says Knave "To arms against WHO?"

"I will not fight Wraith." rumbles Tor. "EITHER of them."

One of the Echelon Agents, a stocky fellow, roars "Time for round 2 boy! This time you will NOT catch us by surprise!"

"I think we met these guys before...and they are back for the rematch!" muttered Battlebug.

"No talking! FIGHT!" screamed Melody, terror and excitement mixed in her voice, along with surprise that her leader, the consummate diplomat, chose to forego the pleasantries!

'Interesting.' said Frostbot inside Frostbites head. 'Your Echelon counterpart is fitted with a device that is external, a machine of some kind.'

The NEW Vanguard! FROSTBITE ISSUE #11 "This Grey and Unpleasant Land" - Page 4 Frostbite-CA-r1

Ghost Knight is about to bark an order until Majestic clad in all white and dome helmet flies in at Frostbite! "You are the target!" he hissed as he flew in. "The boy is the bonus... dead or alive in his case!"

OOC Frostbite throws 10 Power Reserve points into fluid form (now 15) with OV26/RV26 and I assume uses 2D for defence, 2D for Energy Blast.

Majestic AV16 + 4D M Arts (0D Acrobatics) + Roll(6d12)+0: 5,2,12,10,3,3,+0 Total:6 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:21 (37) vs
OV26 + 2D Acro (2D Accuracy) + Roll(4d12)+0: 4,5,4,6,+0 Total:8 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
4,6,+0 Total:18 (44) attack missed!

Frostbite flows around the punch with his mistlike form as a punch smashes into brickwork, reducing it to powder!

Moonshadow calls out "Ghost Knight! LOOK!"

Both Nowhere Men vanish... if indeed they were there at all given his taste for deception and the theatrical, and a healthy sense of self preservation!

Ghost Knight shakes his head. "They are around here somewhere..."

"Which one...?" asked Moonshadow.

"I don't know! BOTH!" growled Ghost Knight. "But we'll take out the Echelon lot first... and anyone else who doesn't stand down! Pick a target Moonshadow and go!"

Moonshadow grins then races forward like a blur towards Melody and says "SorryaboutthissisterbutIknowwhattheboysarelikeandtheywillfaffaboutnotwantingtohitawoman!" at superspeed!

OOC CRIT BLOW AV13 + 3D M Arts (2D Acrobatics) + Roll(5d12)+0: 2,8,10,10,8,+0 Total:20 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0:
12,9,+0 Total:41 (54) vs
Melody OV23 + 3D Acrobatics (0D Attack) + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(5d12)+0: 12,6,2,8,6,+0 Total:12 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 6,2,+0 Total:20 (47)
+4 (to 13 EV)  vs RV22 - 6 Crit Blow (RV16)=0 damage.

Flowing around the punches that come at her at superspeed Moonshadow grunts in frustration and screams "CHESHIRE!" as Melody avoids being struck with nigh on an identical defence to her leader!

"I'm alright boss!" shouts Melody.

Ghost Knight roars "LORE KNIGHTS! EVERYONE AT CAER ALWYN BESIDES US ARE INTRUDERS!"

That seems to spring the rusty Lore Knights into action, and something, some sense of duty or need to recover past glories, or even some hidden part of the magic that empowers them, that Ghost Knight as the leader can trigger, causes them to jump into action!

Ghost Knight leaps at Pounder who is a bulky, wide and tall Echelon agent who is as tough as he is strong!

"You don't wanna do this St John!" roared the big man. "But if ya do...? BRING IT ON OLD MAN!!!!" he laughed. "That pointy stick thing ain't gonna do SQUAT 'gainst me! Only a NUKE can make a dent, and even then..."

OOC Ghost Knight CRIT BLOW AV10 + 2D Weaponry (2D Defence) + Roll(4d12)+0: 2,5,3,10,+0 Total:15 (25) vs
Pounder OV8 + 0D Defence (2D Attack) + Crit Blow 4 + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,1,+0 Total:2 FAILED. Oh Dear. OV0.
+7 (to 21) vs RV8 - 6 Crit Blow (RV2)=19 RAPs. MAGIC DAMAGE ON SPIRIT! Pounder is Down (0 Spirit) and OUT!

SMACK!

Something... some ghostly aura, surrounded the armoured warrior and seemed to depict a warrior of ages past! The swing of the mace left a trail of magical dust and collided with Pounders' large chin! The big man, able to resist practically any kind of physical damage short of a nuclear device and even then... well, he goes down like he's poleaxed!

Frostbite notes how dangerous Ghost Knight is!

Cheshire leaps over to Melody and sweeps with scything claws at the female Vanguardian, helping her female team mate!

"Boss!" cries Melody. "A lil help?"

OOC Cheshire Crit Blow Av16 + 4D Attack (0D Def) + Roll(6d12)+0: 5,5,7,9,8,3,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 3,12,+0 Total:25 (41) vs
OV23 + 3D Def (0D Att) + Crit Blow 4 - Flank Attack 2 + Roll(5d12)+0: 8,3,5,12,10,+0 Total:22 (47) Attack Missed

"You alright?" yells Battlebug.

"Yes! For now..." mutters Melody, ducking this way and that as blows come her way!

Thoth turns to Sorceress and Dr Mystical. "Keep your heads down, find cover! We need to get out of the line of fire!"

Atomica swoops overhead and blasts ALL THREE of Moonshadow, Melody and Cheshire!

OOC Atomica CRIT BLOW MULTI ON THREE AV24 + 3D Att (1D Def) + Roll(5d12)+0: 5,11,3,9,12,+0 Total:23 (47) vs
Highest OV25 (Cheshire) + Range 2 + Crit Blow 4 + Multi 4 + 0D Def + Roll(2d12)+0: 1,10,+0 Total:11 (46)
+1 (to 25) vs Highest RV22 (Melody) - Crit Blow 6 (RV16)=9 RAPs.
Cheshire and Moonshadow are DOWN and OUT!
Melody is on Body 2/11!

"NOOOOO!!!!" roared Tor and the giant starts lumbering forward!

"You'll pay for that!" snarled Ursa.

"They better be alright woman!" barks Hurler!

"Sorry about this Boss!" yells Battlebug as he picks out a target "But YOU are the most dangerous guy I know!"

Frostbite spins in shock! Had Battlebug been mind controlled or... he saw his young protege, the most powerful - potentially - superhero he'd ever had dealings with suddenly 'suck in' a deep breath and that strange aura gathers around him as energy from an unknown source is drawn into the youngster... and Frostbite looks up to where Echelon Frostbite and Atomica fly in the air! Majestic snarls "Take out the boy Frostbite!"

OOC Go for broke +8/-12 Adren Surge 24 + 4D Accuracy + Roll(6d12)+0: 11,7,3,11,3,3,+0 Total:22 DOUBLE plus Roll(2d12)+0: 10,3,+0 Total:35 (59) vs
Highest OV8 + Multi 4 + GFB 8 + Roll(2d12)+0: 12,7,+0 Total:19 (39)
+6 (to 30) vs RV8 + Multi 4 - GFB 12 (RV0)=30 RAPs.
Dex boosts to 38, Str to 36, Power Reserve to 38.
Pow Res +1 to Dex (39) and Str (37) Kin Absorb to 22, Energy Absorb to 23.

Dev Attack Multi on 3 AV39 + 4D Attack (0D Def) + Roll(6d12)+0: 8,3,12,7,9,8,+0 Total:16 DOUBLE plus
Roll(2d12)+0: 6,11,+0 Total:33 (72) vs
Highest OV27 + Dev Attack 8 + Multi 4 + 2D Def (2D Att) + Roll(4d12)+0: 7,5,11,6,+0 Total:18 (57)
+5 (to 42) vs Highest RV27 + Multi 4 - Dev Attack 12 (RV19)=23 RAPs.
Atomica, Echelon Frostbite and Majestic ARE DOWN AND OUT!

"GET DOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN!!!" roars Frostbite as he knows what is coming an instant before it happens!

BA.... THOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

Once again a cataclysmic shockwave rings out, three blows blending into one ground level sonic boom as the youngster delivers a seismic punch or kick to the trio of Echelon heavy hitters, sending each flying in different directions!

The wind blasts outwards, not effecting Frostbite or Melody who are dispersed but blasting outwards with a staggering wave of force, connecting with crumbling walls and with very mortal Professor Thoth, Sorceress and Dr Mystical! Indeed the Lore Knights stagger against the force and Frostbite sees the three mages reel, tumbling like flotsam until they crash against a wall in a daze!

A wall that starts to wobble then fall towards the trio!

"What? BOSSSSS!!!!" yells the youth as he sees the results of his actions "THE WALL!"

"Holy **** this is above my pay grade..." mutters Jack of Diamonds, Echelon Agent. Unaffected by the blast in his diamond hard form he's still somewhat amazed that Atomica, Frostbite and Majestic have just been flattened!

OOC Phew! That was an epic session of posting, a good solid hour and half worth! mind you that thinned out seven combatants! Frostbite (the Vanguard version!) is UP!

Potential targets:

The Lore Knights

Ghost Knight
Tor
Ursa
Knave
Winterwolf
Red Dragon

Echelon Agents

Jack of Diamonds
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Feb 09 2021, 12:34

Admin wrote:Saladin is DOWN and OUT!

OOC: That was so sweet.  I can well believe it took you some time, just the formating and recording of all the stats and rolls is mindboggling enough.  One cannot say you don't do the leg work - thanks my friend.

Admin wrote:
"What? BOSSSSS!!!!" yells the youth as he sees the results of his actions "THE WALL!"

Potential targets:

The Lore Knights

Ghost Knight
Tor
Ursa
Knave
Winterwolf
Red Dragon

Echelon Agents

Jack of Diamonds[/i][/color]

Addressing Ghost Knight Frostbite spoke firmly but quickly "Justin what do you hope to gain, fighting us puts you between us an Echelon, Saladin will be back any moment isn't there a greater threat to consider here?"

Frostbite was reluctant to fight the Lore Knights but he wasn't about to let them stop them either.  Nowhere Man could answer for himself there was little hope of James being caught unless it was voluntary anyway, so this fight seemed so very unnecessary and pointless.  Maybe a desire for justice was a pretence for masking guilt and shame at letting things go so badly.  He shot forward to where the wall was tottering in an attempt to make sure the Sorceress, Thoth and Elias weren't squashed beneath it.

OOC: this is optional depending on what happens, but rescuing the mages comes first

Turning to Jack of Diamonds Frostbite simply said, "Go and gather reinforcements or fight us, it's your call..."  Frostbite levelled his arms at him all the while looking at the others.  

OOC: OK going to delay the attack until I see what happens.  My priority is to work with Melody as she is injured.  And to get the others to safety and or recharge there magic.  
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 11 2021, 11:01

Frostbite spoke even as he switched his power internally and thrust out an arm, never taking his eyes off Ghost Knight!

The ice flowed from his hand and formed up against the collapsing wall even as - for added protection - an igloo formed over the trio of mages!

Switching his power back to his fluid form where his body was mistlike when he moved Frostbite waited for the Lore Knights to react...

Knave, Hurler and Ursa surrounded Frostbite in a triangle, ten feet off.

Tor moved over with surprising speed to his fallen comrades, carefully and tenderly checking on them and ignoring the burning grass from Atomicas' blast!

Jack of Diamonds held his hands up. "Hey! I signed up because they said you were an easy takedown!" he said to Frostbite. "Chance to get an easy tag, move up in the rankings..."

"This is...a game to you?" asked Tor, his stone voice betraying a little anger at the thought.

"Hey, need to have something to act as motivation! Most days we're sat about before getting the call and seeing to rebels, rogue supers or advent..." said JoD. "Never seen Saladin in action, or Frostbite..." He looked at the Vanguardian. "Turns out they were wrong about you. Wow! And that kid... no wonder they are so hot on getting his DNA for the Avatar project!"

Ghost Knight crunched over the rubble to stand near Frostbite. "Stand down." he said to the Lore Knights. "Keep an eye on Atomica, Frostbite and Saladin. All of them. If they move, keep them down."

"You know Caer Alwyn is off limits, right?" asked Ghost Knight to Jack of Diamonds.

"Well, you sit on the council and we thought..." spluttered the Echelon Agent.

"I am an Envoy. An advisory member of the Echelon council on mystical matters and metahumans who use magic. I have fought Advent when they invaded and they replied by bombing this place. After that I made my intentions clear - stay away from this place - Echelon OR Advent and I shall remain neutral in the fight. The Lore Knights are not about revenge. My folly caused this and the death of the people who called this place home. I have to live with that."

"However I made it clear to Wandafar I would not have any Echelon or Advent setting foot here and breaking the truce of neutrality that exists here. In other words Jack of Diamonds Get off my land." he snarled, leaning in to the Echelon Agent. Ursa towered over Ghost Knights shoulder and Knave moved around for a better shot.

Battlebug leaped over and stood beside Frostbite. "We didn't come to fight. We came for magic and to find a way home. We don't want to fight anyone."

"You fight very well for a non combatant." grumbled Tor. "You move faster than anyone I've ever heard of, and the power in your punches..."

"I haven't figured out how I can do that but..." started Battlebug.

"We had a counterpart of you. You call upon an extradimensional force and focus it in a metaphysical manner. You don't - physically - enhance your body. You call on one of the many and varied forces of the Universe to amplify your natural abilities billions, maybe trillions of times. Wandafar wanted to duplicate the process but Battlebug - our Battlebug - didn't like the idea. There was a fight. A big, big mess. He was taken down eventually and his DNA extracted. Waste of time. His powers are mental in origin and the mental attacks which smashed him left him brain dead."

"What...?" asked Battlebug.

"He's still alive, but a vegetable. We have his DNA, as much as we want but it doesn't make any difference. They want you for your mind." said Ghost Knight.

"By telling them this you are being a traitor to Echelon!" hissed Jack of Diamonds.

"Traitor? You break the truce against Wandafar's wishes and ... wait. Wandafar knew about this didn't he?" snarled Ghost Knight.

"Go. As of this moment, ECHELON is no longer welcome at Caer Alwyn and I will no longer advise them!" roared Ghost Knight.

Jack of Diamonds stepped back then turned, flying off.

Ghost Knight turned to Frostbite. "Give us Nowhere Man... YOU give us Nowhere Man... and you can have your magic access. That's a one time offer. Take it or leave it."

The Lore Knights stood ready to fight!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next