The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat About the Games Part Two

3 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Chat About the Games Part Two - Page 8 Empty Re: Chat About the Games Part Two

Post  Admin Tue Oct 25 2022, 21:28

I am hoping (after a chaotic two weeks and preceding time) that tonight marks the last evening where my time is not my own, if only for a few days! Either my son or GF or Work (and occasionally sleep) have occupied my time every single day but I have (finally!) hopefully earned a respite!

Updates start tomorrow and David, yes I'm happy to join inn if you can put up with my haphazard schedule. Other Halfs Dad was laid to rest this week and work shifts mean we'll not see each other for a few days which is my window of time to relax... Starting tomorrow. 21.27 and I'm up at just before 4am for work. They still want 12 hours of my time every day this week...

Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Oct 27 2022, 02:29

Be great if I can get at least two of you on board. It's basically one part of the US governments response to so many heroes dying or being severely injured or permanently crippled and retired because of it. Kind of plays with the idea of "what does a government do when the supersoldiers they made leave the military?" Like if Captain America hadn't been frozen in ice and became a civilian after WW2.

Admin wrote:I am hoping (after a chaotic two weeks and preceding time) that tonight marks the last evening where my time is not my own, if only for a few days! Either my son or GF or Work (and occasionally sleep) have occupied my time every single day but I have (finally!) hopefully earned a respite!

Updates start tomorrow and David, yes I'm happy to join inn if you can put up with my haphazard schedule. Other Halfs Dad was laid to rest this week and work shifts mean we'll not see each other for a few days which is my window of time to relax... Starting tomorrow. 21.27 and I'm up at just before 4am for work. They still want 12 hours of my time every day this week...

Cheers, Paul
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 27 2022, 19:52

I'll dig about somewhere but did you have some idea about power level, HPs, what AP level we're talking about? I guess we're talking about street level few/no powers but peak human abilities? Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher, Nightwing, Robin, some of the weaker Teen Titans and so on? I won't include Batman in that. In his own comic he punches crooks but in the Justice League rubs shoulders with mega power level types and more often than not saves the day with his brain.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Oct 27 2022, 19:54

Admin wrote:I am hoping (after a chaotic two weeks and preceding time) that tonight marks the last evening where my time is not my own, if only for a few days! Either my son or GF or Work (and occasionally sleep) have occupied my time every single day but I have (finally!) hopefully earned a respite!

Cheers, Paul

No sooner had you mentioned this than loads of emails turn up at once, can't keep up with the man ;-). Anyway, looking forward to getting in on things again.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 27 2022, 20:25

Yup I'm kind of dashing about to get things updated where I can before having to hit the sack (up at 5am). Also have a temporary lodger to watch out for but he's happy to lounge about (Girlfriends dog. She's going to watch an Elton John tribute act tonight so I'm on doggy duty).

Chat About the Games Part Two - Page 8 1666898533495

Aside from grinding through the next couple of days at work (including getting there and back 12 hr/day) I have my son Saturday/most of Sunday so the updates should continue tomorrow and pick up Sunday night and all being well as many times as I can squish in next week as not at work Very Happy

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Oct 27 2022, 20:30

Check my "Ultra Top Secret History of Project GI Joe" chat link. https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com/t285-ultra-top-secret-history-of-project-gi-joe#22005

You are going to prestart with some stats and skills and then 800 points total added in, which should put everyone around 900 pts. 8-10 is the power level.

I've put up a few NPC heroes that will also be part of your "crew" with General Steel as your commanding officer.

I'm going to add a few more who I don't have costumes for but just names and rough power outlines.

Admin wrote:I'll dig about somewhere but did you have some idea about power level, HPs, what AP level we're talking about? I guess we're talking about street level few/no powers but peak human abilities? Captain America, Daredevil, Punisher, Nightwing, Robin, some of the weaker Teen Titans and so on? I won't include Batman in that. In his own comic he punches crooks but in the Justice League rubs shoulders with mega power level types and more often than not saves the day with his brain.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 27 2022, 21:13

So the too long didn't read version is:

Start with D3 S3 B3 all other stats 2. Mil Science and Weaponry 2. 450HP + Origin 50 to add on and up to 300 from Disads (loss all etc). The rank stuff I'm blinking at (probably need sleep) but I'd probably go with a lowly not very good at much Private who suddenly develops super powers and realises their potential. That sort of thing.

Initial thoughts:

• A cannonball fly/crash through stuff/force field type
  • A wildfire energy form except in certain circumstances (like the presence of Gold which interferes with his abilities and reverts him to a human form. A gold ring would have to put on him. Inside Fort Knox vault he'd have no chance with line of sight to all that gold affecting him!)
  • A physical running/jumping/punching sort (like Miss V but obviously lowered) with very high regeneration rather than being actual bulletproof. So long as he didn't die outright he could recover from most wounds very very quickly so as to seem bulletproof.
  • Some kind of mentallist/mind reader/telekinetic
  • A power reserve type who can switch energy around (like Ultra Boy but obviously lowered)
  • Some kind of Vampire who obviously hates what they are and has to hide their nature because the Army might frown on a blood sucker in their ranks... or want to weaponise him. So maybe like that physical running/jumping/punching/regen sort above but with the need to suck life force (rather than actual blood) to sustain life...
  • A brick (super dense, there to soak up hits and punch things)

Anyway I'll put some thought into it. Hope to have something by the weekend fingers crossed.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Nov 11 2022, 20:31

Yeah, in trying to make it clear, I made it muddled. Chat About the Games Part Two - Page 8 1f61f
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 15 2022, 13:40

Still alive! Just dealing with some (big) personal issues at the moment and big-ish work issues. Should be able to update later today but depends on the personal thing around tea time or thereabouts. I'm sad but needs to be done. Anyway, thanks for your patience guys!

Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Nov 15 2022, 13:58

Admin wrote:Still alive! Just dealing with some (big) personal issues at the moment and big-ish work issues. Should be able to update later today but depends on the personal thing around tea time or thereabouts. I'm sad but needs to be done. Anyway, thanks for your patience guys!

Cheers, Paul

Oh Paul I'm sorry to hear this, please don't rush back on our account as this sounds like it needs your full attention. I hope that, however things go, it works out for the best.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 16 2022, 10:11

Thanks Dave. Feels like a weight off shoulders anyway, I am now officially single again and breathing a sigh of relief. Been wanting to finish things for a long time but never came across the right moment. Anyway, it's done. Time to crack on with life all being well!

Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 16 2022, 15:43

Admin wrote:Thanks Dave. Feels like a weight off shoulders anyway, I am now officially single again and breathing a sigh of relief. Been wanting to finish things for a long time but never came across the right moment. Anyway, it's done. Time to crack on with life all being well!

Cheers, Paul

I suspected as much, with all that was going on ending the relationship earlier would have seemed harsh. But its also not kind to let things go on if you know it shouldn't go on. Never easy, but hopefully the space will allow some perspective. Heaven knows you've got enough else going on in your life right now.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 15 2023, 12:31

I'm aware that my posting is all over the place. Can't be helped with the shifts I work I'm afraid Sad However, I can give my best estimate this week as to updates:

I've started updating today (with a particularly long and rambling one about Frostbite in his game thread) and will probably get another one done before I have to get ready for work. I *should* be able to update every morning this week until Friday. Then I have my son over at the weekend and have to get chores done (my favourite. Washing and ironing.) Throw into that the odd wrench (yesterday it was having to replace the sink plughole in the kitchen as it had rotted through over time, the joys of buying an old-ish house. Water all over the place when I ran the tap, as you can imagine) and things I need to do (last week was service the car) and it gets a bit spotty but never fear! I may be absent for a few days but I'm going to be here as long as you guys are happy to put up with me!

Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon May 15 2023, 12:33

Admin wrote:I'm aware that my posting is all over the place. Can't be helped with the shifts I work I'm afraid Sad However, I can give my best estimate this week as to updates:

I've started updating today (with a particularly long and rambling one about Frostbite in his game thread) and will probably get another one done before I have to get ready for work. I *should* be able to update every morning this week until Friday. Then I have my son over at the weekend and have to get chores done (my favourite. Washing and ironing.) Throw into that the odd wrench (yesterday it was having to replace the sink plughole in the kitchen as it had rotted through over time, the joys of buying an old-ish house. Water all over the place when I ran the tap, as you can imagine) and things I need to do (last week was service the car) and it gets a bit spotty but never fear! I may be absent for a few days but I'm going to be here as long as you guys are happy to put up with me!

Cheers, Paul

No worries Paul, but appreciate the update all the same. Wow that post on FB what a lot of changes (and rules) we've gone through. Anyway, will take a look and get back to you on that.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 15 2023, 21:03

RL is RL. We always make room for that. So do what you need to do and RELAX. Then come back to the game.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 01 2023, 11:49

I'll be updating tonight when I get home from work, just letting you know! Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

Steeple_jackuk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 13 2023, 20:57

Meh. Best laid plans. I passed my bi-annual exams again (yay! I can keep my job!) but it involved nigh on a full day - hours - of uninterrupted hand writing. Ooof, talk about writers cramp. Typing one handed has been a chore (manage it on my phone that's it). Like I say, it's two years before I have to grind through that again...

Anyway, let's see where we're up to...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 19 2023, 09:26

Admin wrote:Meh. Best laid plans. I passed my bi-annual exams again (yay! I can keep my job!) but it involved nigh on a full day - hours - of uninterrupted hand writing. Ooof, talk about writers cramp. Typing one handed has been a chore (manage it on my phone that's it). Like I say, it's two years before I have to grind through that again...

Anyway, let's see where we're up to...

Glad you passed again and got it done all OK Paul. your a real regular and certified safe pair of hands ;-)

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jun 23 2023, 11:59

Sorry, haven't been posting lately. Bit under the weather and the hand tremors make it a bit hard to type for any length. Hope to catch up before the weekend is out.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 26 2023, 08:25

DavidMcMahon wrote:Sorry, haven't been posting lately.  Bit under the weather and the hand tremors make it a bit hard to type for any length.  Hope to catch up before the weekend is out.

Sorry to hear that Dave. I guess this is possibly new territory for you and all I can only imagine its somewhat of an anxious time if you've never come this way before? I hope it passes quickly.

The trials and tribulations of our heroes as sometimes as nothing compared to the real world problems we all go through at times.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 29 2023, 19:13

I'm rushing to see how many updates I can get done before I have to hit the sack (or turn into a pumpkin, whatever comes first). Whilst I've had time this week I've also had to get some other chores done (flat tyre looking at you, grrrr) hence running behind a bit. Apologies! Right, enough waffle, will crack on...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 23 2023, 14:17

You probably noticed me struggling to update over the last month. Three times a year it comes around that I'm working four weekends on the bounce (in addition to three or four other days that week) where I don't get to go out, see the kids, have any kind of life etc. It's just work/grind/eat/sleep unfortunately.

Looking back I think on the struggles I had with time when I was driving Freight - loads of time sat about but usually with no internet access and long shifts at that. This is slightly better (shorter shifts) but seemingly more of them. I guess there's no best solution when working on the railway, twenty five years of doing it has more or less shown me that...

Anyhow, this week I will do my best to check in every day up until Wednesday. Then I'll be away for three days with friends (little if any chance to update) and on the Friday have my son (some chance). Next week (start of August) I plan to head off with the youngest (13 y/o) somewhere but not sure if it's home or abroad yet. The weather here is wet, abroad it's roasting so not booked anything yet, will play by ear. If I go away I will take a laptop but might have to fight the youngster for it.

I'll keep you updated anyway. I'm aware the Advent campaign has been running for a couple of years now so it's nearly time for a change. There's also a few bits unresolved (Frostbites missing team mate for example) and the time travellers need to get back at some point.

Anyhow, hope you're all well and like I say, will keep you posted.

Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jul 24 2023, 08:53

Admin wrote:You probably noticed me struggling to update over the last month. Three times a year it comes around that I'm working four weekends on the bounce (in addition to three or four other days that week) where I don't get to go out, see the kids, have any kind of life etc. It's just work/grind/eat/sleep unfortunately.

Looking back I think on the struggles I had with time when I was driving Freight - loads of time sat about but usually with no internet access and long shifts at that. This is slightly better (shorter shifts) but seemingly more of them. I guess there's no best solution when working on the railway, twenty five years of doing it has more or less shown me that...

Anyhow, this week I will do my best to check in every day up until Wednesday. Then I'll be away for three days with friends (little if any chance to update) and on the Friday have my son (some chance). Next week (start of August) I plan to head off with the youngest (13 y/o) somewhere but not sure if it's home or abroad yet. The weather here is wet, abroad it's roasting so not booked anything yet, will play by ear. If I go away I will take a laptop but might have to fight the youngster for it.

I'll keep you updated anyway. I'm aware the Advent campaign has been running for a couple of years now so it's nearly time for a change. There's also a few bits unresolved (Frostbites missing team mate for example) and the time travellers need to get back at some point.

Anyhow, hope you're all well and like I say, will keep you posted.

Cheers, Paul

Hey Paul, I never mind the break in the games I think its important you have time away to recharge and to give your grey cells time to come up with some more fiendish plan. And therefore us time to think how on earth we'll deal with it. But all the same I appreciate the update as its good to know what your up to and its because of work, life, family rather than something far worse. I hope you get to enjoy the times whatever they be at the present moment. The pace, these days suits me better anyway, so you'll get no complaints from me my friend.

All the best

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 07 2023, 08:46

Holiday season almost over for me - had time away in Whitby (fun but wet) and Spain (fun but HOT!) and got the washing/cleaning up done. Will post later today (sons birthday) and check in for updates every day this week thereafter.

Thanks for your patience guys. I also have a side project that was on hold - converting a 30 year out of print game to a colourful/larger font/less hard on the eyes layout. It's not authorised by the IP holders but you can't buy the game for less than an arm and a leg on ebay/collectors prices and there have been several versions of the game since this version. I can't imagine the multi billion corporation dollar will come after me for keeping a long forgotten OOP book out there. Initially it's for 'personal use' and the author stated there's no problem with that.

Anyway, there's no time limit on that so I'm not putting myself under any pressure. It's relevant because it's the basis for our game (though our house rules make it almost a completely new game).

Other than that, hope you are well and my personal goal is to see a wrap up of the ADVENT storyline and go back to a more four colour campaign but if you have a preference we'll go with what works for you.

Cheers, Paul

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Aug 11 2023, 15:22

Hi Paul glad to hear you are getting things done and yet also having some time out. I am just back from a few days and trying to catch up on emails. So I will try and reply over this weekend to your latest replies. I look forward to the Advent arc wrapping its been there in the background so much, but I've not had much interaction with it first hand. More the interventions in time, and on our soil etc. Plus there is the extended question of what they are doing on the moon, let alone Atlantis - than face to face in Europe etc.

Not that I am complaining, its been a whole lot of fun, but it feels like the world needs a break right now ;-). In truth I am constantly amazed and pleased let alone delighted with the tales you spin and the difficulties we seem to get ourselves in.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next