The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

2 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Sep 27 2015, 22:11

Admin wrote:Timmy clearly wasn't happy about the situation, and his mannequin body/face was becoming more humanlike in its expressions with every passing moment!

Dialogue: "I hear you, but what do you expect, us to do. Besides is it even possible to remain undetected and undetectable in this day and age. Wherever the grandson goes, we'll be able to keep a close eye on him. I said I'd get him out, I didn't say I'd agree to let him go free unconditionally. But I take your point, it's not a bargain I feel comfortable with either, but truth be told there is far more at stake and worrying about one criminal getting out is the least of my problems today."

=========
Admin wrote: Back inside, Professor Power looked up as Lionheart re-entered.

Where do you come from?"

Dialogue: "I think my friend that is on a need to know basis. As I don't think you need to know, that's as far as this conversation is going. I'll be back when the job is done."

Lionheart didn't like this one bit, he felt that the old man was laughing behind his back, but equally he felt he was somewhat adrift in an unfamiliar world where the rulebook was torn up. He felt something of Tim's chagrin and didn't like the difficult position, nor the favours X had to call in to get the Grandson out of prison. But a quick call through to Wandafar, to make sure that he was both up to speed and knew how to track him once he was out was what he needed to get sorted before charging over the Prison to take charge of the boy and deliver him to the secret address.

OOC:Hmm, can't help but feel I'm being played here, by the old man. But since I've got no choice but to play along or come to a dead stop, I need to let this play out. But I am seeking to be wise to what is going on using my skill set, my hyper senses and Psi powers to try and glean what I can from all parties as things unfold to try and stay one step ahead of wearing egg on my face.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2

Post  Admin Sat Oct 03 2015, 21:43

Timmy and Lionheart left the care home, knowing they had an hour or so to wait whilst Agent X got the wheels in motion.

Despite the protestations of prison staff (wardens, guards etc) an 'Executive order' from 'up above' would clearly overrule what they thought was proper procedure and fastrack the young man free from prison.

Outside, Timmy turned to Lionheart. "We still have time to get to Battersea and stop that... that murderer from doing what he's doing at the old HQ! I need time to rebuild, to... adjust.. but I will help wherever I can if it means getting justice!"

Could Lionheart afford to be sidetracked with another mission whilst he waited to discover the outcome of this one? If the old mans grandson arrived at the address to his satisfaction, he would free up the details Wandafar needed to turn that tiny piece of Dwarfstar material into something powerful enough to shrink Lionheart down to size, and into a whole new world! His gut told him Prof Power had something up his sleeve - plans within plans - but with the stakes being so high it was clear the more time they wasted the greater the danger that the diminutive peril would strike again!

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Oct 04 2015, 21:00

Admin wrote:Outside, Timmy turned to Lionheart. "We still have time to get to Battersea and stop that... that murderer from doing what he's doing at the old HQ! I need time to rebuild, to... adjust.. but I will help wherever I can if it means getting justice!"

Could Lionheart afford to be sidetracked with another mission whilst he waited to discover the outcome of this one?

Lionheart sighed, "Did you ever find that for every twist and turn that some supervillain or encounter took you, there was always some other twist or turn you left unfollwed." Lionheart looked at Timmy, odd seeing as the mannequins eyes had an unearthly look about them.

"I started out on what was a simply mission, but at every turn it's got more complicated than that stuff you people eat, with some paste and meat. 'Aghetti' or something? Anyway..." And with that Lionheart took a moment to bring Timmy up to speed. He was sure that in so doing he was probably breaking some sort of need to know protocol. But Lionheart was still feeling bad for what happened in the states. And was concerned not to leave people in the dark here, so that more collateral damage occurred.

"The truth is, given half a chance I'd love to follow up on your assailant, it irks me that loose end is dangling. Clearly this man is dangerous, but somehow I've got to prioritize and that means staying on target. Sorry, but no dice."

Despite what he said, it still took Lionheart all his energy to resist the temptation to follow up on the Battersea mission. Truth was he would love to find out more about what was going on there. However he felt tied to seeing through the current mission. After the mistakes in the USA, and the failure to get enough Dwarf Star material, he couldn't afford to get side tracked again. If the 'Mvaders' did lunch their attack, as it currently stood earth would be defenceless, and Battersea, Power, the lot would mean very little.

OOC:Reluctantly that is a no, given the way that things are pointing, I think it's best I stay with what is before me. Its just my natural tendency to be cautious ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Oct 06 2015, 21:28

Timmy sagged onto a low wall, then nodded.

"It was always a game, you know? A less dangerous time. The villains never killed, even when they could. They would have you, trussed, helpless, whilst they ranted about their master plan, how it would change everything and all would kneel before them... It seems so childish now. Break free, beat him senseless and talk to the press as the police dragged the idiot away."

"At some point the black and white changed to grey. Bright, sunny and cheerful turned overcast, iron dark, and cold. Here we are. You are seeking to stop an invasion of the Earth by microscopic enemies who plot and plan, and I? I'm seeking the man that slaughtered me in my own home, brushing past the best of my lifes work as if they were... naught but toys. Playtime is over."

He stood, thrust out a hand for Lionheart to shake and took a deep breath. "I still have friends, places to go, people I can call on. I just need a lab, a few days, and no distractions. Then... then there will be a reckoning."

With that Timmy Jones walked away.

=========

An hour later, Lionheart stood across the street from the Prison.

The gates opened and a young man walked free, looking about and taking a deep breath of free, fresh air.

He saw Lionheart waiting and walked over. "I was told that you are my 'parole' officer. Who are you? Police? SMITE? Government spook? Well, you've no need to worry about me going barmy and doing owt daft. Leave that to Grandad, the crazy old coot. 'Spect he's dead by now. So, What's the plan boss, or are you just going to give me a stern talking to, got my eye on you type thing and slap a tracker on my ankle?"

OOC Straight to the lock up or give this guy a stern talking to first?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Oct 07 2015, 08:16

Admin wrote:With that Timmy Jones walked away.

Lionheart was sad to see the 'man' go, but constrained by his current situation unable to think much more about it. His final parting words, to stay in touch. Were sincerely meant, as was the means he slipped to communicate with Lionheart. The communicator that Wandafar had given the whole team. Lionheart felt that Tim, already badly hurt by his unknown assailant needed all the help he could get if things went south.

=========

Admin wrote:An hour later, Lionheart stood across the street from the Prison.

'Spect he's dead by now. So, What's the plan boss, or are you just going to give me a stern talking to, got my eye on you type thing and slap a tracker on my ankle?"

OOC Straight to the lock up or give this guy a stern talking to first?

Dialogue: "I'll explain more on the way."

As the duo left the prison, Lionheart cast a careful eye around. He knew that the professor might well have spies and who knows, some means by which to carry on his life of crime through his supposed change of heart regarding this wayward youth. Knowing what he did about the mind, Lionheart could well suspect that the professor might well have set about some scheme to duplicate or transfer his mind into the boys body. He dismissed it, thinking it ridiculous that the professor, good though he was, could achieve such a thing unnoticed in the old people's home. But he could imagine that the wylie old devil, might well have considered it.

On the way, Lionheart took the chance to update the errant youth on what had brought him to this place. He took the time to caution him, as they drew up to the address finishing with. Dialogue: "Look, you might well go back to crime, or be unwittingly enlisted into the Professors scheme yet. But the world is far more dangerous, if you get caught again I can't promise that the hole they put you into won't be a grave or something worse still. People don't tolerate you folk like their used to. They're scared, seen too much go wrong. And scared people do not act rationally or fairly. Right lecture over, if you've enough sense between your ears, hopefully we'll never need meet again."

OOC:Ok Lionheart follows the plan. But just in case I do suspect the Prof has some hidden scheme not entirely based on familiar love or warmth. I suspect he does intend to try something so I am very alert for it as we proceed on from here. Feel free to use HP as needed if an attack or nasty surprise does get sprung.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 08 2015, 23:30

The young man seemed to consider the words, then shrugged "Let's see how I get on."

"What a lot of people don't realise is that goin' straight ain't easy. No one wants to give you time of day. You serve your time that the state says you owe, but you keep payin'. What's the point o goin straight? Get treated like muck an' survivin' on handouts, it's easy to get dragged back into the thing that left you in nick. S'pose a government stooge like you ain't interested. Just do ya job then go home to the wife n kids, nice house, nice car, three holidays a year. Can't be bad. I never had a chance. Grandad saw ta that. People know who I am. In nick his enemies made sure I knew he wasn't well liked, still got the scars."

The taxi pulled up at the address and the pair got out.

The lockup was sealed tight, with only a palm print reader and retinal scan as a way in.

"Grandad will have known his old sparring partners wanted their hands on his gear. This place will be booby trapped to the eyeballs. I'd best go in there on me own."

Lionheart looked at the lockup. He could use his terrific strength to simply tear it open, but who knew what explosives, poison gas clouds, giant robots or other outlandish revenge devices would burst into life?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Oct 09 2015, 15:23

Admin wrote:Lionheart looked at the lockup. He could use his terrific strength to simply tear it open, but who knew what explosives, poison gas clouds, giant robots or other outlandish revenge devices would burst into life?

Along the journey Lionheart had remained quiet after putting across his thoughts about going straight. As they arrived at the lock up he finally spoke up.
"What about changing sides? If doing something is so inevitable and it seems that this is the one chance you've got, what would you do if another offer came your way?"

Lionheart hadn't worked out all the possible repercussions, but if someone like this could be turned rehabilitated and used to do some good. Then maybe, maybe he had a way out of an inevitable life of crime.

OOC:
Though I don't know if this young man and his villainous grandfather can be trusted, I am thinking that sometimes the best way to catch a thief... Besides which, he is right, the current system doesn't reward people for going or staying straight unless they are motivated by a set of higher ideals.

In any case I don't want him to go in alone, I suspect if he does that whatever possible reason his Grandfather has for getting it out, will only lead him further down the dark path he thinks is so inevitable.

To that end we go in together, or not at all and on that I am firm. If we don't go in we look for another solution, but I am not letting this lad out of my sight.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 19 2015, 21:46

The young man shrugs. "At this moment I'm a criminal on parole, no money, no friends, here at someone elses' wishes. I'm open to all offers, be daft not to."

The lockup seemed innocuous - secure with thick iron barred doors and with shutters down - save for the slightly out of place security panel for retinal scanning and fingerprints. It'd been attacked by someone at some point, probably several points, but the thing was durable, even if it looked somewhat second hand.

The lad shrugged, glanced at Lionheart then shrugged again. "Worth a punt. Hand on there then... lean in?"

At a nod from Lionheart he did so and somewhere inside the building motors whirred and bolts slammed aside. About twenty feet up on the wall a panel opened and a bulky camera jutted out. Lionheart recognised a laser gun beneath the camera at the same time his danger sense warned him. A thought put his personal forcefield up, and he felt sure his speed could place him between the weapon and the boy in a split second, but it did not fire, merely observed.

Inside, the place was a workshop, cluttered, bits of half finished or broken technology everywhere. The old man was a mad genius, and quite evil, but his hands had hardly ever been idle.

The lights were dim, but came on in a line between rows of shelving and directed the pair to the middle of the room, where what appeared to be a clothes - or armour - horse stood, and hanging from it several items of note. A ... girdle, with backpack, a large belt, bracers, boots, helmet, and an all black jumpsuit in a similar material to a wetsuit but Lionheart suspected it was something else.

A SLAM! indicated the outer door was closed and sealed. Lionheart glanced about. The inside of the place was reinforced, and he saw 'emitters' bathing the inside of the walls in a dim light. Force field? The old man was ...

"A genius. By any measure." muttered the young man, approaching the armour horse. "Do you think I should put it on? And... and then what?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Oct 19 2015, 22:31

Admin wrote:"A genius. By any measure." muttered the young man, approaching the armour horse. "Do you think I should put it on? And... and then what?"

Lionheart thought for a moment before shaking his head. He remembered what the old man had said, what their bargain was.

Admin wrote:"I will give you an address, one of many safehouses. He is to take the money, a new identity and leave the country, forgetting crime, any association with me or my enemies, and forge his own legacy, using his undoubted blossoming genius for something other than crime."

"Your grandfather only wanted you brought here so you can get out what you needed to start over. He was...is convinced there is far more to you than perhaps even you know. A 'blossoming genius' is what he called you. If his estimation is correct, then you could do a lot more with that up there and going straight shouldn't be so hard. After all, why not work for the right side, someone with your talents need not be on the run, could do some good. Feel good as well not having to constantly live hand to mouth, job to job? Get what you need or start again, start right. Not many people get a second chance, especially having turned down the road you've gone. Don't turn it down lightly?"

Lionheart lent against the wall, waiting for the young man to measure the truth of his words. If he was as clever as was suggested, he could easily see that there was a lot more to gain from this. After all if one member of the family, despite their clear talent couldn't make a go of it, why not now try working for the right side of the law and prove everyone wrong.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 26 2015, 21:15

The ex prisoner considered Lionhearts words, then nodded. "I tried one path, it didn't work out so well. I will try another. As for 'blossoming genius'? Well, I was never much interested in much at school and I'll admit I don't do well at crosswords."

He laughed, then added "Sudoku, whatever. Let's put the damn thing on."

He stripped to his underwear, pulled on the jumpsuit - which fit like a glove - and donned the rest, helmet last. "Don't feel any different."

With a shrug he casually placed the helmet on his head.

And screamed!

Lionheart raced forward, hands reaching for the helmet, but a hand ... no something else stopped him. The hero frowned, pushed, and the young man grunted. "It's... it's alright. I think. I... don't grab for the helmet. It's done something... inside... I..."

He looked up, smiling at Lionheart as his eyes glowed bright blue. "I see."

He turned about, and with a slight gesture have a dozen objects floated into the air at head height, then remained there, immobile. "My mind... it's expanding! I can see... think... do more."

Lionheart didn't sense danger, as such, but he COULD sense a field of mental energy about the boy. As strong as his own? Perhaps. This armour, as it was, had been designed to elevate the boys mind to nearly 100% capacity, to unlock mental powers and give him the means to strike out on a path of his choosing. He could be a dangerous opponent, one Lionheart had the opportunity of stopping right now, before he became fully versed in his new abilities or...

...or he might be a powerful ally.

The man from the future realised that he was acting in the role of sign post for this young man. Wherever he went from here, Lionheart would have a hand in it...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Oct 28 2015, 09:04

Admin wrote:Lionheart didn't sense danger, as such, but he COULD sense a field of mental energy about the boy. As strong as his own? Perhaps. This armour, as it was, had been designed to elevate the boys mind to nearly 100% capacity, to unlock mental powers and give him the means to strike out on a path of his choosing. He could be a dangerous opponent, one Lionheart had the opportunity of stopping right now, before he became fully versed in his new abilities or...

...or he might be a powerful ally.

The man from the future realised that he was acting in the role of sign post for this young man. Wherever he went from here, Lionheart would have a hand in it...

"What is happening, are you ok?" Knowing that there wasn't an immediate threat of danger gave Lionheart pause for thought. He could have perhaps attacked back with his own considerable mind powers. But the threat wasn't one to him, therefore he felt it worth the risk to find out just what was happening.

OOC:
Hmm interesting didn't expect to get something positive out of this. Though would be thrilled if that did happen. Its been great to see the introduction of the wider world's past heroes, but this might bring in some new ones.

1. So I'll hold fire, and wait and see what Charlie did next.
2. Assuming he is on the up and up, I'll explain what his Grandfather was to give us in return for his freedom.
3. And assuming that this is ok, then we'd best go find out where the Shrinker can be found.
4. However if things go south, then we'd best be thinking back up plan, this could be an elaborate ruse I've no idea if my warning danger sense works off intent, or just immediate danger. Whilst no immediate danger I might be or appear to be fine, but I've yet no reason to know if there might be a longer game being played out here, after all. So proceed with due caution in any case.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 29 2015, 23:20

Charlie seemed fascinated, examining himself in the suit and armour before levitating several feet from the floor and laughing out loud.

"Man, can you see this? I'm not dreaming!?!?" he laughed, before rotating several times and slowly dropping to the floor. He clenched a fist, which started to glow with energy, then seemed taken aback. "It's too easy." He looked up, fear on his face. "To go from here and knock a bank off, jewellery store, set yourself up as lord and master. The cops wouldn't stand a chance... I'd be up against the likes of you and others. This... this is going to take some getting my head roooouuuuuuuuuu....."

Lionheart caught Charlie as he fell, and lowered him gently to the floor.

"....nnnnnnnnnnd." the young man finished, but Lionheart caught something in his voice. "Where... ahhh. I see. You. 'Hero'... I... See you held your end of the bargain up. Very well. PROTOCOL 940714 EXECUTE!"

SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE ABORTED! declared a computer voice from the room. Lionhearts danger sense hadn't warned him of impending doom, but then it may have been on a slow timer.

"You want the plans, access the computer terminal on the desk... Yes, that one. The password is Charlie. The plans for the shrinker are in there. You will need a genius to put them together, money for components - or simply steal them - and a little time to assemble them. Make sure you get it right. The technology was volatile. I never told the buffoon that he was, in effect, wearing a fusion bomb, if the White Dwarf star energy imbalance was even slightly out. Good job then my calculations were never wrong. My technology never failed! The buffoons using it however..."

Charlie shuddered, and cried out before looking about, wild eyed. "What... what just...?" he yanked the helmet off and gasped. "He was in me wasn't he? The old man!"

Lionheart helped him up and checked out the computer terminal. Sure enough the diagrams and plans were laid out. Thousands of pages of them. The shrinker device was the only one available to view - if there was anything else in there of value, it wasn't available to access.

"The powers... my brain... these gizmos provide it. I'm just his... his puppet." said Charlie, dropping the helmet to the floor and sagging back. "I want to help you, but if I put that back on, who is to say the old man won't be back, and what he can do? What would YOU do?"

Lionheart picked a usb stick up to transfer the files as he pondered the question. The young man had seen a glimpse of a far wider world, and needed guiding in the right direction. Could Lionheart do that and what would be the risk in wearing that helmet again? Or would he be better to advise Charlie to forget it and move on, find something else to do?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Oct 30 2015, 10:38

Admin wrote:"The powers... my brain... these gizmos provide it. I'm just his... his puppet." said Charlie, dropping the helmet to the floor and sagging back. "I want to help you, but if I put that back on, who is to say the old man won't be back, and what he can do? What would YOU do?"

Lionheart picked a usb stick up to transfer the files as he pondered the question. The young man had seen a glimpse of a far wider world, and needed guiding in the right direction. Could Lionheart do that and what would be the risk in wearing that helmet again? Or would he be better to advise Charlie to forget it and move on, find something else to do?

"Charlie my friend," Lionheart said as he turned back to the disheartened lad with an understanding glance. "I know exactly what you mean. But this is about taking back control, making the most of what you've got rather than allowing circumstances to dictate your moral outlook. We're not animals that need to react, we're human and we can choose to respond. Besides which it helps if you have someone with some experience with powers that come their way."

At which point Lionheart pointed toward his own head with a knowing expression. "I've got what I need, and I think your Grandfather might actually be on the up and up. Well at least partly. It makes some sort of sense, having backed and equipped so many strangers that he should back family."

Lionheart gestured and they both moved out of the warehouse. He didn't want to hang around any longer. This place was a death trap, and Lionheart wasn't here to set it off.

As they moved off, Lionheart took a glance at the helmet and added, "Let's go, if it bothers you still I've got a friend who can take a look at this and we can see where we go from there."

OOC:Ok lets take Charlie away from here, and back to base. I think I will ask him to trust me and then have Wandafar have a look at his pack and the blueprints. I'll get him to meet the group Frostbite is looking after so he can see we're about taking on waif's and strays and making good their situation. Kinda paying it forward.

Great stuff by the way, loving the current story lines, for both my characters. Impressive.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 04 2015, 17:31

OOC Having one of 'those' weeks where I'm at work for long hours then start again with the kids as soon as I walk through the door. Doh. Anyway, on with the show...

LIONHEART

Using telekinesis to provide a more dignified method of travel for passengers, Lionheart sped back to base in moments. He'd left Timmy Jones - or at least the 'soul' of Timmy in a mannequin - to his own devices. Presumably he meant to investigate the secret Justice Legion base under Battersea Power Station but hopefully he'd consider gathering some firepower first. Whoever had murdered Timmy was powerful and more importantly, prepared. Worrying.

Back at the mansion Charlie gasped. "Wow man. I mean... wow! Look at this place!" Lionheart led him in and Jethro the Butler appeared from around the corner - whilst Lionheart knew the solid light hologram had simply decided to materialise out of sight. No need to give away his nature as an artificial life form, after all.

"Ah, will sirs be requiring sustenance, or will that wait until after you have consulted with Dr Wilgommen?" enquired Jethro.

"I'm famished!" declared Charlie, helmet under his arm and forgetting the fact that his evil genius grandfather had possessed him for a short period of time. Jethro nodded, then added to Lionheart. "I shall keep our guest entertained, sir. Dr Wilgommen is in his laboratory. This way Mr Hammond."

As they walked off Charlie asked. "How do you know my name? how come I didn't see you? Why don't you make any sound when you walk..."

Jethro would have his hands full.

=========

"Vat! I em always busy und you lot never give me any... oh. It's you." said Wandafar as Lionheart stepped from the lift to the sprawling lower floor science lab. It was impressive, state of the art and something beyond, though not beyond Lionhearts ability to comprehend. Well, most of it.

"Don't touch that!" shouted Wandafar as Lionheart leaned in to look at an energy beam dancing between two metal strobes. "You hef ze plens?"

Handing over the stick Lionheart looked about. He was from the future, and although not a scientist could easily get his head round the most advanced of 21st century technology, but the stuff in here was cutting edge. Wandafars 'Synth Muscle' for powered suits, various compact energy sources, exo skeletons, designs for vehicles, composite materials, alloys, advanced miniature electronics...

"I em particularly proud of zet vun." said Wandafar as he waited for the computer - a mass of wires and exposed bits - to finish virus scanning the stick. "It allows me to control ze tv over wireless router." Lionheart didn't want to tell him that such devices could be had cheaply from China from ebay and the like. "Took me ages to figure out. It never vorked right. Cost thousands. Don't tell Justin..."

*cringe* Despite that Lionheart kept a calm, professional exterior face on.

"Ah." the diminutive genius said, scanning the plans. "Yes. I see. Ah ha. Yes.... ze old man was genius, no doubts. Zis should not vork, but because it should not vork, von suspects it does ze very nicely. Thinking outside ze box. I vill need... 12 hours to assemble ze parts. You may rest in zet time, or do votever. Ven you come beck I vill hef finished ze shrinking device. Hmmm I vill hef to record Eastenders..."

OOC Lionheart has a rare respite - he can:

1) Check out Battersea power station
2) visit Prof Power to find ouot if the old man has any more tricks up his sleeve
3) Visit Timmys house - scene of his murder
4) Check out what Frostbite and the others are doing
5) Rest... the world can save itself for 12 hours
6) Try to start a training regime with Charlie in the use of his suit/mind powers
7) something else...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 05 2015, 08:07

Admin wrote:
OOC Lionheart has a rare respite - he can:

1) Check out Battersea power station
2) visit Prof Power to find out if the old man has any more tricks up his sleeve
3) Visit Timmys house - scene of his murder
4) Check out what Frostbite and the others are doing
5) Rest... the world can save itself for 12 hours
6) Try to start a training regime with Charlie in the use of his suit/mind powers
7) something else...

OOC:Ah no fair, so many choices, I want to do them all ;-). But then again maybe that would be the longest 12 hours in history. However I am hoping that I can cover a couple of bases. I do want to see Prof Power, to follow up on Charlie and makes sure there are no further side games. That its my intention to look out for him, so that the 'gifts' given do not get exploited by someone else. Then off to check in with Timmy at Battersea. I seem to recall us being near there in the very earliest days of the team. In any case it's been a long while, so lets head over there asap. I am hoping my visit to the prof is nothing but a sad stop.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 06 2015, 22:43

Considering rest, then the fact that there was so much else going on - not the least of which being a microscopic invasion force too small for anyone to believe in its existence.

Wandafar was pushing himself - hard - to gather the parts he required for the machine then set to crafting them in such a way that they formed a machine capable of focusing energy through a wafer thin series of magnifying lenses to produce a shrink ray to enable Lionheart to enter the subatomic world.

He checked in on Charlie. He was in a training room, practising the levitation of objects large and small. From the sweat on his face it was no easy task, made harder when Jethro the butler upped the difficulty level, and Charlie yelped as objects pinged off him. He glanced up at the observation window and grinned at Lionheart. "It's not easy, but I'm getting there! I seem to have a natural OOOF!" he staggered back as a basketball pinged from his groin, having got through his shields. Curled up in a foetal ball as squash, tennis, rugby and footballs whizzed over his head he yelped "I'm not there yet!"

Jethro materialised next to Lionheart. "I shall oversee his progress. We have a training regime laid out and he wasted no time in starting. He is eager to learn. Perhaps too eager." He turned to the window. "Enough for the larger objects. Move back to the smaller ones. Control is everything! Without control, power is wasted, and wasted power is your enemy as much as the foe that faces you!"

The computer simulation was impressive, doubtless programmed by Wandafar to have some semblance of life, albeit with somewhat stunted emotional abilities.

OOC Do you plan to take Charlie with you to Battersea/his Grandfathers rest home? If not...

Lionheart took his leave and raced from the manor, quick as a flash taking a roundabout route so as to disguise the places' true nature. Justin St John was a generous and forgiving man, but carelessness resulting in revealing his part in bankrolling a team of superhumans would be unforgivable.

Taking to the air, he sliced through it like a missile towards the old Battersea power station. In another timeline, another reality, he had been here before, but this one was new. According to Timmy a team called the Justice Legion had made their home in its secret cellars and workshops, away from prying eyes. With that in mind he hovered over the site and looked for some means of entry. With nothing obvious he knew he would face a search for some way in at ground level, which would take time.

Landing, he looked about. Pipework, old stone, empty windows, pigeons fluttering about... it stood derelict...

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 7,2,+0 Total:9

Lionheart knows he is in danger. He doesn't know from where, or whom, but feels like it is a threat with a similar power level to his own. That in itself is cause for concern as few single supervillains could match him as far as he knew.

Which meant a group.

And they were somewhere still in this labyrinth of a derelict building...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Nov 07 2015, 19:55

Admin wrote:

Lionheart knows he is in danger. He doesn't know from where, or whom, but feels like it is a threat with a similar power level to his own. That in itself is cause for concern as few single supervillains could match him as far as he knew.

Which meant a group.

And they were somewhere still in this labyrinth of a derelict building...

OOC:Firstly as regards to Charlie, I wasn't planning to bring him along just yet. A bit much like the same line that Frostbite is tackling, although Charlie seems to be a bit more powerful and under Jethro's 'care' I am sure things will progress well.

Lionheart didn't want to betray the fact he knew he wasn't alone nor did he want to alert what or whoever was here. Taking a moment to pause and look about using his amazing senses he took in all that sight, sound and Psychic sense could before moving off. One thing that troubled him greatly was what had happened to Timmy? He was sure that though he had shifted his consciousness to the mannequin, it was far from certain if this was but a fluke. He could be greatly at risk, especially if what he faced was on the same level as Lionheart. What was required was an element of finesse that Timmy might lack, even after his years of experience. A thirst for revenge or indignation can skew anyones judgement.

OOC:OK lets formulate a plan, firstly let's add some HP points to 3/2 to my strongest sense that of analytical smell 10/4 and from that start to work out in order of suitability, directional hearing, super hearing, also I might use postcognition when I know more about who and what entered the place. Might give me some wiser clues as to what I and who I am facing if not what they're here for.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 10 2015, 22:49

OOC You have Analytical Smell 8, Directional Hearing 8 and the others are all... 8 aside from Super Hearing 7. Your best bet is to use 3HP on Acting and Effect to bump it up to 11.

LIONHEART
HP: 187

OOC The roll for analytical smell...
Roll(2d10)+0:
10,7,+0
Total:17

Lionheart takes a deep breath, exhales, then breathes in through his nose, taking in all the information he can glean.

Four individuals and... something else. The four are human, two are female. The other thing is possibly an animal, or hybrid of some kind. One of the humans gives a faint whiff of something else. Metal? Gear oil? A cyborg, perhaps. One of the females is wearing perfume, an expensive brand. The other smells like she's not washed for a day or two, not offensive, just like she's not had time. Or been on the run, perhaps. The males are quite distinctive. One wears light cologne aside from the faint gear oil smell, the other smells like he's slept in a barn.

Looking about, he closes his eyes and follows the trail somewhat. Just a few feet in one direction, they stopped, possibly to converse, then split up. They are looking for something. The other 'thing', hybrid animal/human perhaps, has followed the woman who needs a wash. Four directions into the labyrinth of corridors and access tunnels. Scent is maybe... an hour old?

Wait. Something else, another smell, not human.

Plastic. Timmy.

Lionheart looks about. Timmy followed in the direction of... he sniffs again. Hard to say. The woman with perfume or the cyborg.

He stands, satisfied he's gleaned enough until he catches a faint whiff of something else. Higher. The rafters. Floating up, he smells something else. Another scent, male this time, somewhat older than the others but no more than a few hours. The whiff of blood is about him too. Timmys killer is here, somewhere in this place. Now.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Nov 11 2015, 07:46

Admin wrote:Wait. Something else, another smell, not human.

Plastic. Timmy.

Lionheart looks about. Timmy followed in the direction of... he sniffs again. Hard to say. The woman with perfume or the cyborg.

He stands, satisfied he's gleaned enough until he catches a faint whiff of something else. Higher. The rafters. Floating up, he smells something else. Another scent, male this time, somewhat older than the others but no more than a few hours. The whiff of blood is about him too. Timmys killer is here, somewhere in this place. Now.

It seemed to Lionheart that it was with the killer particularly that he had an issue. And with which the greatest threat yet remained to Timmy's life. So once again fixing the subtle scent he started to follow its trail, eyes, ears and all other senses alert to obvious danger and opportunity.

OOC:
Ok lets follow the scent, whilst being mindful of my surroundings, obvious signs of disturbance and or where the others might be. No need to be stumbled upon, since Lionheart has the element of surprise, it would be good to retain this with reasonable precautions as long as I am able.

I will attack if attacked, but otherwise I am in predator/spy mode, wanting first information and trying to gain an evaluation of the situation before I make any other moves.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 03:15

Moving with cautious speed and following the scent of his prey, Lionheart was surprised by how little his other powers came into use in his time as a hero.

More than anything he relied on his speed and his mental powers, generally force field and mind blast as well as his 'psionic enhancement' that elevated him from 'mere' superhuman to the upper tiers of the superhuman community.The others had some sense of that power, and more besides. He had been the weak link at one stage when they had their cosmic 'dark power' to call on, with nothing seemingly beyond their grasp. Like the true heroes they had given up that limitless power to save the universe, and before they themselves could be corrupted. Not all had survived the journey through time and space. Wherever they were, he could only hope they had gotten some well earned rest.

Back to his situation, he paused. The scent mingled with the smell of plastic here. He looked about, stood half way down a stairwell leading into the bowels of the old power station. Thinking about the way the scents crossed, he figured the Killer had lingered to... lay a trap of some kind? Timmy had fallen for it. So reliant on his miniaturised army he himself had been a general in the background, guiding them ttheir goal of putting thhe bad guy down. Now he was a fish out of water, angry and not thinking straight. Examining the concrete stairs he found shards of shattered plastic, but of the main part of Timmys mannequin form there was no sign.

Continuing down the stairs, he came into a damp, dark corridor. The floor was wet, and Lionheart paused again to check the scent.

OOC See the OOC post about the use of hero points. I will make this check using 6 HP to roll 3 dice and keep the best two (discarding the other). It's a major shift in the way they are used and gives the bad guys more of a fighting chance, but to compensate I will make it cheaper to improve the characters.

Roll(3d10)+0:
Use the 5 and 10,, discard the 4

LIONHEART 181 HP

Lionheart turned to his left. He was 'reasonably' sure that the corridor in this direction was the path both had taken. Just then...

OOC Roll(2d10)+0:
2,5,+0 Total:7

His Danger Sense gave him pause. No specifics, but the corridor in this direction held some danger of some kind. From what he could tell it was near pitch black, dripping wet and the floor was pooled. Nothing sprung to mind but given the nature of the foe he tracked, an extremely catious and professional killer, chances were another trap awaited...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Nov 12 2015, 08:07

Admin wrote:His Danger Sense gave him pause. No specifics, but the corridor in this direction held some danger of some kind. From what he could tell it was near pitch black, dripping wet and the floor was pooled. Nothing sprung to mind but given the nature of the foe he tracked, an extremely catious and professional killer, chances were another trap awaited...

OOC:I've briefly had chance to read the OOC post, but will save it for later when I can get at it. Busy day ahead of me today.]

Lionheart flicked on his forcefield, he was reasonably sure that would stave off the worse of what he faced. But had to hope it didn't stop his sense of smell working effectively. Floating forward, mindful of any possible use of the water, or indeed the way that the water itself might hide hidden areas below into which he might fall, he moved forward with caution. Although his senses afforded him a level of awareness unknown to most, he still didn't do his best without sight. And sight was the one thing he lacked here.

OOC:Ok moving forward cautiously, seeking to maintain the link to the smells I'd previously followed. I am aware that the water and what not will cover foot prints, but imagine in the dark that people would use their hands to guide them and every touch, leaves a trace. So I'll be mindful of that, as well as trying to stay closer to the ceiling and also seeking to utilise my other senses so as not to be taken unaware.

My one worry, is that if I am attacked my assailant might have the upper hand in darkness. So to that end if there is a way for me to create light, find a source or if need be retreat to a place where I can be less effected by the absence of light, I'll aim to do that.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 13 2015, 04:35

OOC NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Lost a full page of text and typing. This is getting frustrating, fast.

Right, to try and summarise. With the new rules being proposed the main mechanic gives value to individual stat values rather than grouping several together in the old system. For instance if Lionheart has 22 Dex and attacks someone with 22, 23 or 24 dex its the same difficulty in the old system. Now it will be harder (as it should be) and if you have a higher stat you will find it easier (again, as it should be)

Hero point changes were needed as it was too easy to one shot bad guys simply by outspending them with HP. Now you buy bonus dice to roll in addition to your normal 2D10 and pick which two dice to use, discarding the rest. This way you rely on the dice more but have greater control over the rolls. Want to have a better chance of scoring a double or getting a higher roll? Spend hero points to buy bonus dice. It also simplifies things as there is no increasing Acting/opposing/Effect/Resistance values individually. Simpler, hopefully faster.

Last ditch defence allows you to absorb damage. The more damage you absorb, the greater the cost in hero points. As it should be.

Skills give bonus dice like hero points do instead of (in the old system) substituing for stats (at best) or nullifying an unskilled penalty (at worst). They work like hero points giving you extra dice to roll to (hopefully) increase your chances of success.

that's the changes I have so far. If everyone is ok with them I will integrate them immediately and write them up into a pdf to look at. I will write in the manner of explaining the game to a new player so as to avoid all the terms and gobbldigook that makes peoples (including mine) eyes glaze over. I'm at the age where learning a new rule set is too much like hard work, so have to rely on the games I know how to play and go from there.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Nov 13 2015, 15:53

Admin wrote:OOC NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Lost a full page of text and typing. This is getting frustrating, fast.

Right, to try and summarise. With the new rules being proposed the main mechanic gives value to individual stat values rather than grouping several together in the old system. For instance if Lionheart has 22 Dex and attacks someone with 22, 23 or 24 dex its the same difficulty in the old system. Now it will be harder (as it should be) and if you have a higher stat you will find it easier (again, as it should be)

Hero point changes were needed as it was too easy to one shot bad guys simply by outspending them with HP. Now you buy bonus dice to roll in addition to your normal 2D10 and pick which two dice to use, discarding the rest. This way you rely on the dice more but have greater control over the rolls. Want to have a better chance of scoring a double or getting a higher roll? Spend hero points to buy bonus dice. It also simplifies things as there is no increasing Acting/opposing/Effect/Resistance values individually. Simpler, hopefully faster.

Last ditch defence allows you to absorb damage. The more damage you absorb, the greater the cost in hero points. As it should be.

Skills give bonus dice like hero points do instead of (in the old system) substituing for stats (at best) or nullifying an unskilled penalty (at worst). They work like hero points giving you extra dice to roll to (hopefully) increase your chances of success.

that's the changes I have so far. If everyone is ok with them I will integrate them immediately and write them up into a pdf to look at. I will write in the manner of explaining the game to a new player so as to avoid all the terms and gobbldigook that makes peoples (including mine) eyes glaze over. I'm at the age where learning a new rule set is too much like hard work, so have to rely on the games I know how to play and go from there.

OOC: Don't you just hate that when it happens.  Sometimes I type in a word document just so I can not lose anything.  ANyway this all sounds fine, you know me I am easy with anything that I can roleplay off, get the story out front and centre and the rules to a minimum.  Although I should warn you, with the way that dice rolls tend to fall for Frostbite, be prepared for my hero to limp his way to victory.  But then that is what makes him a hero, if it was easy it would hardly be considered fair, sporting or heroic.  ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 16 2015, 21:17

As he moved through the dark corridor, Lionheart became aware of a faint beep beep beepbeep beepbeepbeep beeeeeeeee!

Then FWASSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!

Something 'went off' and flooded the place with white, blinding light!

His first thought was 'proximity triggered booby trap' then 'I can't see'...

OOC FLASH attack vs our hero. Using the new rules...

Target Number is 11+Dex (8) of Lionheart. Acting value is 10 (Flash) plus:
Roll(2d10)+0: 10,9,+0 Total:19
10 difference +4 Effect
Effect value now 14 vs Dex (8) means 6RAPs

Oh, ouch. This is Wizards of the coasts dice roller as Invisible Castle appears to have vanished.

Lionheart has been sort of blinded, losing Six (6) from his Dex score for 2 minutes (6RAPs) of time. You can spend Hero points to reduce this but he couldn't really avoid it as a) his superspeed wasn't activated and b) there's nothing to dodge - he needed to have his eyes covered somehow. His forcefield provides no protection as it doesn't block light (otherwise he'd not be able to see!)

The New Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #4 - The Mission, Part 2 - Page 2 Last_ditch_table

The last ditch defence table where you can spend Hero Points to reduce that 6RAPs down to zero if you want - at a cost.

Lionheart squinted. Everything was a blur! Was that... was something moving through the corridor towards him, or was his mind playing tricks on him?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Nov 16 2015, 22:06

Admin wrote:Lionheart squinted. Everything was a blur! Was that... was something moving through the corridor towards him, or was his mind playing tricks on him?

Admin wrote:Lionheart squinted. Everything was a blur! Was that... was something moving through the corridor towards him, or was his mind playing tricks on him?

Lionheart summoned his considerable powers, unsure as to how he might effectively overcome the blindness that had so affected him. But using his considerable and as yet still somewhat mysterious powers he tried to ‘by-pass’ sight by relying on his danger sense.

OOC: This is me rationalising the spend of 21 HP to mitigate the whole effect of the blindness. I imagine that perhaps I can’t see in colour, and see might be the wrong word anyway. But that perhaps I can, for the duration, grasp the shape of things around me, like Daredevil does.

Lionheart got some idea of what was ahead and switched on his super speed and shield, but something told him that this wasn’t all that it appeared. He had no doubt that there were dangerous forces at work, but had they meant to kill him, it could just as easily been a bomb and not a light flash bang. Besides his danger sense hadn’t gone completely haywire, so he had to question the motives of the quarry he was following. Was he a killer? Or more an interested party? Caution was, without question still needed, especially without his sight working as it should.

OOC:Ok so lets get me into a position where I can stop reacting in offence and be more proactive. But as I do that I don’t mind dodging and moving to try and gain time to avoid any further unpleasant consequences of my temporary blindness.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next