The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

5 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Admin Sun Jun 09 2013, 00:11

Silver Sentinel watched Frostbite vanish into the floor and turned to face the oncoming enemy in the darkness...

They weren't in sight - yet. The rolling hills, pine tree forests and scattered rocks amidst deep moorland in the hills surrounding Caer Alwyn provided natural cover and protection. The Mansion was on the edge of the village and overlooked spectacular natural scenery, but it worked against Sentinel right now.

Where would the attack come from? When? And in what strength?

He heard the whirr and whine of weapons behind him, and knew as soon as he stood the mech up to take on the incoming Zomborgs he'd be blasted to pieces - eventually, for this was one tough hunk of junk he'd put together - by the defences at his back set to protect the mansion! He needed the reassurance from his friends that the mansion defences were neutralised before he could take on the Zomborgs... otherwise it would be one very, very short fight...

OOC next post will have the Zomborgs coming into range...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception" - Page 7 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! Frostbite Issue 1 - "Frosty Reception"

Post  Admin Sun Jun 09 2013, 00:19

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Actually I wrote that this one time I wasn't using Fog to hide what I'm doing.

"Found him," the Haunt yells out, "he's hurt and debris may fall on him. I will protect him if you folks can get this stuff off us!"

actions: Form a nice protective umbrella over him.

OOC So you did. Oops.

Haunt used his own body as a dome/umbrella in the debris after letting the others know he'd found Bulldog.

Yeoman looked over and stifled an insult, but swooped over and landed next to the pile of debris, carefully selecting the largest chunks which were as polystyrene in his superhuman hands. It would take time, and Haunt would be trapped under the debris whilst the clearing took place, but it looked like Bulldog would be pulled free...

Just then something shifted, and a very heavy I-Beam tilted and slammed down towards Haunt! he had a choice - stay where he was, get out of the way or try to 'catch' the beam before it struck him! And who knew what else would crumble and fall inwards - rocks, machines, electrical conduits...?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jun 09 2013, 00:58

actions: expand his shape so he becomes both doom and brace for the shifting rubble.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 09 2013, 15:45

[quote="Admin"]
DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: Actually I wrote that this one time I wasn't using Fog to hide what I'm doing.

"Found him," the Haunt yells out, "he's hurt and debris may fall on him. I will protect him if you folks can get this stuff off us!"

Wasting no time, Lionheart joined Yeoman, using his powerful mind to help shift the weight of stuff, or hold it in check until Yeoman could get to it.

OOC: Ok assume I use my powers strength, speed and telekenisis as needed to help get Kevin and Haunt out safely.

Once they're out is a job for trying to work out if we can turn off or recalibrate the defences

Meanwhile Frostbite looked at the options before him, if he continued and failed he'd be in a real pickle. But if he went back up, he'd have more problems to face just getting to where he was. Perhaps another solution presented itself.

OOC: Ok so DM help here. Can I make a space within this area I want to use my ice powers to blast a chamber before me, up to the point where the 'shield energy barrier exists' and then go for the trying to merge through it. That way if I get thrown back or dematerialise I can at least try and do so into the chamber where I won't solidify into rock or earth. If I can't pull off a stunt whereby I can work a way around the barrier, then I will have to go up top, via the house and find an exposed panel and let Frostbot do the heavy lifting. Not sure what else I can do.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 11 2013, 07:55

Aware of the weight pressing down from above, and what it might do to a 'normal human' Haunt bravely used his own body as a brace...

OOC Just using the weight (approximately 10 tons) as the Acting/Effect value of the 'attack' on Haunt.Roll 2d10 → [8,7] = (15) Haunt takes 2RAPs of damage, leaving him on 3 Body

With a grunt Haunt feels something sharp and heavy crash into what passed for his back, and knew another jolt like that might cause him to black out! More than that, Haunt could feel something inside stretch... the makeshift medical repairs to his body wouldn't withstand much more punishment before they broke down and caused him to bleed internally again!

Suddenly there was another shift... and Haunt tensed, waiting for the slam and crush of weight that would black him out - and possibly doom British Bulldog!

Except it didn't come.

Light from the cave above, along with dust and small debris, rained down on the White Ghostly form and he risked looking up.

A blur of motion and Haunt knew Lionheart was at work, moving at speeds difficult to track! Yeoman was on the other side, doing the heavy lifting of more solid pieces.

Moments later a hand reached out, and Haunt pulled himself and British Bulldog up, along with a gentle hand for the dog, Winston, who lay dead from wounds incurred by the Zomborgs attack...

==========

Frostbite considered his options...

Solidifying for long enough to use his ice powers would be the same for a hand as for his whole body. The next 'mental wave' would be along very shortly according to the insistent voice of Frostbot in his head, so he turned about and shot straight up.

He felt 'something' wash over him, but outside in the open air it was too weak to cause actual harm. Instead it cause a mild wave of nausea. He turned and saw the ground defences - machine guns, knockout gas, flamethrowers and more besides, swivel to point at him!

'Touch one of those!' remarked Frostbot. Ignoring bullets that zipped through his form Frostbite changed a finger to become solid and transferred Frostbot into the nearest weapon, a missile launcher without half of the tiny 6" long missiles already missing.

Instantly it turned and started firing at the other weapons!

WOoosh! Wooosh! THOOOM!!!!

Then something strange happened... the mansion defences shut down!

Pressing a hand to the dormant missile launcher, Frostbite gathered Frostbot into himself again. "What happened?" he asked, looking at the drooping weapons systems on the lawn. Near the wall, some 100 yards distant, he could see the robot/mech form of Silver Sentinel.

'A failsafe system - if the weapons should ever act contrary to their programming and be used against one another, they will shut down rather than be used against the mansion or its defences. Wandafar thought of everything apparently. I also travelled through the circuits and made sure to disable the mental wave device. Remarkable machinery, it sends out waves to interfere with the brains electrical impulses. Against sentient beings it would be most effective. The zomborgs, possibly less so.' explained Frostbot.

Moments later Frostbite dropped through the ceiling of the rock cavern and surveyed the mess inside. It looked like a bomb - or rather dozens of bombs - had gone off!

He saw Yeoman and Lionheart helping Haunt out of a pile of rubble. The white garbed man held the limp form of Kevin Hammill-Hope, and the still form of the dog, Winston. There was no sign of Retribution or Wandafar, but chances are they too could be buried under the rubble.

'The Mansion defences will reboot in 10 seconds - they need turning off manually. If you can find a working console!' explained Frostbot.

OOC Haunt/Bulldog are out of the rubble. Retribution is still buried, the mansion defences are about to restart and the place will (very soon) be under attack by Zomborgs who have tracked you here. Another update later on (for Sentinel) when I get chance. Should be today, just... not sure what time. Also watch for a new issue of Lore Knights Dave and David...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 11 2013, 10:42

Frostbite nodded toward the others, and asked "Quick I need a working console, is there any that are not too smashed up?"

OOC: Assuming there is one, I'll get over and transfer Frostbot whilst I go to work on trying to find out what else we can do from down here to defeat the final Zomborgs.

If there isn't a working console, then I guess its going for power and shutting it all down, or leaving it to defend itself until such a time as we can get back. After all a defenceless mansion might be worse than one that keeps prying eyes away?

Meanwhile Lionheart located Retributions body, based on what he saw earlier from his Postcognition scan and began to work his way around to getting the hero from beneath the pile that had also fallen on him. He knew time was of the essence, and shouted across to Frostbite, "Wandafar was taken, the Zomborgs, blew the place up. It..." He calmed himself before continuing, "It was my fault. That gell pack, it turns out it was a sentient entity that engulfed Wandafar, opened the mansion to the invaders and took Wandafar via the teleporter out of here. Frostbite, if you or your onboard computer can find the location of the last jump we might yet have a lead. Otherwise Wandafar is in the wind and who knows what the enemy will do with him..."

Lionheart then set about getting Retribution free, he knew that time was of the essence, but at this time he also knew that he had no idea of how they could find a safe place to restore these guys let alone find a means to get Wandafar back.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 11 2013, 21:48

Aware of the weight pressing down from above, and what it might do to a 'normal human' Haunt bravely used his own body as a brace...

OOC Just using the weight (approximately 10 tons) as the Acting/Effect value of the 'attack' on Haunt.Roll 2d10 → [8,7] = (15) Haunt takes 2RAPs of damage, leaving him on 3 Body

ooc: Okay, this is me not understanding the combat/damage system. Why would the Haunt take damage from a measly 10 ton falling rock? He is strong enough to pick up 200 tons [looking at AP upper limit chart, 110 tons base]. And the Body chart says he is tough enough to withstand high impact explosives that are designed to demolish a reinforced concrete bunker. Doesn't that make him tough enough that the rock would just ... bounce?

actions: The Haunt will also aid in helping to find Retribution.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jun 12 2013, 23:48

OOC I just used the weight of the stuff on top of him (9) against his Body (11) and the dice (a roll of 15) did the rest. A roll of 14 or less would have meant no damage... In normal circumstances (i.e. no freakish rolls, a roll of 9-11 as an average) there's no way Haunt would have felt that. Just the dice thing. Again.

On another note anyone else notice the complete change and overhaul of the interface system? I think it makes things easier, just need to get my head round what all the bits mean.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jun 12 2013, 23:55

ooc:  Someone remind me next time that I should have used Stretching to absorb the impact.  It would have added my AP of stretching power to my RV.  Didn't even think about it until now.   Sad
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 13 2013, 00:00

Thankfully, the guns and missiles were silent as Silver Sentinel stood up in the mech...

He knew Frostbite must have come through for them to have been deactivated. That just left Sentinel alone to face an army of murderous cyborg zombies, who couldn't be reasoned with, warned off or otherwise persuaded to stop what they were doing. 

They would attack, and they would die, without remorse or feeling.

And they would take as much of the house and all who were in it with them!

He saw the distant hopping forms glittering in the moonlight and saw a laser flash of light blast through the air. It missed, but not by much. Sentinel knew he was a big target, easy to hit and hoped the metal leviathan he'd formed around himself would buy enough time for... what? If the others had run into trouble, he was on his own.

So be it. He'd been in worse scrapes.

It was... well, tricky to remember what they were and how they were worse at the moment...

OOC The Zomborgs are a quarter mile distant and now in sight, bounding across the heather covered moorland. Silver Sentinels powers of:

Magnetic Control 11
Attraction/Repulsion 11
Metal Manipulation 9

Are all in range of the first few (half a dozen) Zomborgs. When they close the range he only has his fists to pound away at them. You still have time to fabricate something to give you an energy blast, especially as many of the weapons in the grounds are now dormant. Some of those might be very effective judging by the mess they made of the wall. You have initiative. Bear in mind they will be concentrating firepower on Sentinel (6 of them in the first wave). That's a lot of shots. Even if the rolls are only half decent Sentinel might get clobbered, so you may want to think on the defensive. For instance you are on the outside of the walls surrounding the grounds of the mansion. With the guns inside the walls stopped you could hop over the wall and use it as partial cover. Of course if the defences power up again you'd be on the wrong side of the wall with your back to them...

You're up Ross Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 13 2013, 00:03

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc:  Someone remind me next time that I should have used Stretching to absorb the impact.  It would have added my AP of stretching power to my RV.  Didn't even think about it until now.   Sad

OOC That didn't occur to me either. You'd have had 20 RV against physical attacks of the non-energy kind (so no good against fire, energy blast etc but against blunt trauma it's all good) and that would have been more than enough to shrug ten tons flattening you into the floor. Besides, it's only 2 damage Razz Haunt can take worse Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 13 2013, 00:29

Lionheart and Haunt uncovered Retribution under tons of fallen rock and support beams...

Most had been blasted from below with the veteran hero using the last of his energy blast to cushion the impact of so much falling weight. As it was, he was still in a bad way and bleeding heavily in the midsection. He was unconscious, and the trademark black costume was covered in dust and blood.

Yeoman looked over from where he had been examining British Bulldog. "If he's still alive, respect the mask folks. Retribution was always one to be moody and mysterious about hiding his identity. Guess in his line of work (OOC Revenge and hunting down the worst of criminal scum) he needed to make sure his loved ones and friends couldn't be used against him."

Frostbite made his way through the cave, turning over smashed servers and workstations, consoles and assorted equipment in his quest to find something that wasn't burned out and blackened. He found something, but had to move thick coils of sparking wires and a fallen I beam first. The screen was smashed, the lcd partially oozing and half missing, but the box underneath was functional, if somewhat singed and crushed in on one side. A hand placed on the machine brought a shiver from Frostbite as Frostbot did his thing.

'Connecting. There are a number of firewalls in place. I will not be able to gain full access, but some are physical and have been removed from the network Wandafar uses thanks to the damage sustained. Processing... Done. The Mansions defences have been reset to recognise us as friendlies and...'

Frostbite paused as he began walking through the cavern back towards the others and looked back at the computer box. "Frostbot? Are you there? Everything alright?"

'Apologies. I 'feel' the recent presence of an entity within the system very much like myself. In fact, the computer systems may well have been attacked by a computer program almost identical in nature to my own - something that is self aware and able to overcome even the greatest system protection given enough time. I always thought I was unique - a living program housed in a biological host.'

Another pause.

'Now I know I am not alone. There is another.'

The constant burning/smouldering fires and falling rocks from the ceiling suggested this place was no longer safe. Though highly capable the team really needed the likes of Silver Sentinel to reinforce it in a more permanent, even improved state.

'I have no definite course that the teleporter was set to. The 'other' covered its tracks as well as I would. I only know the general direction and rough distance. The City of London or surrounding towns. There may yet be clues that can be gleaned from the wreckage of this place. The revelation that your team mate, Lionheart, might have been unwittingly responsible for this attack by opening a 'back door' should be quashed. The man - if such he can be called - might suffer from reduced confidence and see his abilities affected. Indeed, though many of his abilities are unknown to me he might be able to sense Wandafar when closer to the city via his mental powers, though I cannot be sure.' stated Frostbot. 

Frostbite wondered just how much more 'human' Frostbot would get with his programming. The technology of how the thing existed at all was beyond his 1940s era knowhow, but that it was a miracle of science and technology was in no doubt. The knowledge that there was another sentient program out there like Frostbot was chilling, however...

OOC Options... Retribution and Bulldog are down, and need medical attention very soon. The machines in here are mostly useless save the odd backup system that Frostbot now controls. Haunts investigation and the camera he brought in has stalled, and he may want to dig further to find out what Retribution uncovered (if anything) before the attack. Lionheart has superhuman speed and amazing mental powers, and may want to try using them (Life Sense, telepathy, off the top of my head) to find/contact Wandafar. Frostbots revelation about the presence of an entity like itself might worry Frostbite - and it should. Haunt still needs fixing up with rest/medical care, as does Yeoman (who is stumbling around on 1 Body). Frostbite is unharmed, as is Lionheart now having healed. The Zomborgs are closing in on the mansion, with Sentinel and now the mansion defences as the line of defence, so it *might* not be so bad, but there are quite a few of them out there, and you now know what happens when you take one out (kaboom) so make sure you're stood clear of the blast!

Over to you. And thanks for your patience.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 13 2013, 00:48

Sorry, Frostbot color is so dim that I can't read what he said.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 13 2013, 07:57

Admin wrote:Lionheart and Haunt uncovered Retribution under tons of fallen rock and support beams...

OOC Options... Retribution and Bulldog are down, and need medical attention very soon. The machines in here are mostly useless save the odd backup system that Frostbot now controls. Haunts investigation and the camera he brought in has stalled, and he may want to dig further to find out what Retribution uncovered (if anything) before the attack. Lionheart has superhuman speed and amazing mental powers, and may want to try using them (Life Sense, telepathy, off the top of my head) to find/contact Wandafar. Frostbots revelation about the presence of an entity like itself might worry Frostbite - and it should. Haunt still needs fixing up with rest/medical care, as does Yeoman (who is stumbling around on 1 Body). Frostbite is unharmed, as is Lionheart now having healed. The Zomborgs are closing in on the mansion, with Sentinel and now the mansion defences as the line of defence, so it *might* not be so bad, but there are quite a few of them out there, and you now know what happens when you take one out (kaboom) so make sure you're stood clear of the blast!

Over to you. And thanks for your patience.

OOC: Oh yes I am concerned...

Turning to the others, Frostbite interrupted what they were doing.  "Right defences are back online, but Sentinel is up top alone.  I guess these robots will come till their dead, so lets help them.  Then we've got to try and get Kevin and Retribution to some medical help and quick.  Yeoman, you looked pretty banged up to, do you and the others have any contacts in the medical profession, no questions asked.  I've a feeling any hospital that takes one of these in is going to call the authorities and they'd be sitting ducks."

Turning to Lionheart, Frostbite added, "London looks to be the likely destination they took Wandafar, with your powers, Frostbot..." and at this point, to those that knew him, Frostbite seemed to stumble over his words.  His normal confident calm self slightly wavered.  "...has surmised you might be able to pinpoint his location.  However if you and me deal with the Zomborgs first and Haunt you can collect what you need and we can get ready to move out..."

With that Frostbite retrieved Frostbot and slipped through the rock to rejoin Sentinel above.  Lionheart took one look around, sighed and shot over to the lift, he'd entered by and allowed it to take him to the surface.  

OOC: Ok Frostbite and Lionheart are rejoining Sentinel to fend off attackers.  Once we've done here might thought is to secure the place, for the time being, and get our friends to medical help.  

Dave not wanting to direct Haunt too much, so amend as you see fit ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jun 13 2013, 12:29

Turning to Lionheart, Frostbite added, "London looks to be the likely destination they took Wandafar, with your powers, Frostbot..." and at this point, to those that knew him, Frostbite seemed to stumble over his words.  His normal confident calm self slightly wavered.  "...has surmised you might be able to pinpoint his location.  However if you and me deal with the Zomborgs first and Haunt you can collect what you need and we can get ready to move out..."

"Yes, I am not in any condition to fight again," the Haunt admits.  "SO the best I can do now is gather what information I can to see if that will help anyone."

actions:  Using skills the discover what I can here to find the kidnapped women and missing heroes and whatever else I can.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Thu Jun 13 2013, 19:03

sentinel know he couldnt reason with these abombinations.......and he perfered it that way. spying what appeared to be a heavily used and still smoking quad cannon steve rushed over to it quickly morphing it into one solid mortar like heavy weapon and with the remaining metal fasioned a sheild to weld in the other hand.

"Bring it on" he said with a smerk now that he was fully armed......but they would be on him soon enough and what ranged weaponary would then be useless

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 16 2013, 20:54

OOC will pick another colour for Frostbots words...

Frostbite and Lionheart headed up top to help Sentinel...

For lionheart the lift seemed to take an age. For a man who zipped around the world so fast, the normal human speed seemed like a crawl. Added to that the lift appeared to have been damaged and stuttered/lurched up to the ground floor of the mansion.

A door/wall slid aside and led Lionheart into a drawing room, the lift entrance a bookshelf that slid back into place revealing no trace of the entrance to the secret cavern complex below. Immediately Lionheart looked for exits and saw a window which could be opened, and was on it in a flash, unlocking it...

Just as he was about to climb through and speed across to where the giant mech form of Sentinel waited to do battle with the Zomborgs, Lionheart smelled something... 

OOC Just (finally, a week later. Blast that real life thing, and it really has been a killer this week. Brief version - wife went for a job interview so I was stuck with the kids/house chores even more than usual. She got the job and - in the long run - we'll be better off, with my time freed up (yay!) but it's with the NHS so they move at the speed of a snail. So until she starts new job I'm still putting work bags down picking kids up but there's light at the end of the tunnel) managed to read through most of the OOC discussion on Lionheart. Will rune with Dunecats version and write it up into a character sheet at some point. At work at the moment so trying to get an update out in between jobs. Might get chance for an update later but there's a power cut here and dunno how long the laptop will last out. Fingers crossed anyway. Roll 2D10 (4,2)=6 for analytical smell. Not as bad as it sounds (roll that is) as the smell is common.

Blood...

Lionhearts heart sank... a place of this size had to have servants, maids, maintenance staff. All of a sudden Lionheart realized they'd have had no defences against the cybernetic horrors that had attacked the place... Even one, rampaging through the halls of the grand old stately home, would have been enough to slaughter innocents!

=========

Frostbite meanwhile flew up through the ground and across the space to where Sentinel was morphing a cannon into a mount for his walking robot...

Sentinel saw him coming, gave a wave, then concentrated on shifting the shape and size of the weapon into something that would integrate perfectly with his mech.

OOC Fabricate roll. Let's see... Projectile weapons 14, Body 13. Roll 2D10 (1,1)=2 FAILURE! (This is from invisible castle, not my dice!) Failed metal manipulation check

Sentinel groaned as the weapon fell to pieces onto the grass! He turned the mechs head round but realized he wouldn't get another chance to make the gun before the Zomborgs were on him, unless he was prepared to take a few hits first!

The first three Zomborgs fired at the large target poking its head over the partially damaged mansion walls...

OOC Firing at distance but there's no real penalty (I think - will check) for shooting at range. Three Zomborgs, team attack on SilverMech. Going for Critical Blows. AV/EV 11 (Energy Blast) vs OV 6 (Silvermech Dex, reduced by Growth as he's a bigger target) and RV21. Can't find modifiers for cover so I'll give +1CS to Silver Sentinels OV for the partial cover of the wall *shrug*. Rolls ... 8,6 (14) hit +1CS,  1,8 (9) miss, 1,10 (11) hit. Silvermech takes 4 damage from the first hit, 3 from the second! Silver Sentinels robot is left on 1 Body (from Cool. As it has 'hardened defences' it needs to be reduced to zero before it stops functioning, so despite the hammering he just took, he's fine to attack.

A pair of blasts lanced through the night air. They struck true, slamming into the huge metallic form and twisting it first one way, then the next! Another flashed past and out over the village into the night. Inside the mech Sentinel got a mental image of the robots systems having taken a battering from the accuracy of those blasts! Even though the robot was ultra tough, it couldn't well withstand any more of that sort of pounding! He had to do something, quick!

OOC In theory with a wave of his hand he can fix the robot (another fabricate roll) or he can create something that (hopefully) makes a better job of protecting him. Or he could say the heck with it and attack (using his metal powers, robots strength or making another weapon like a big ****ing gun!)

Frostbite saw his friend and comrade stagger under the blasts and knew the second wave of attackers had only one thing in mind. If they had achieved their aim of recovering the stolen blue capsule Lionheart had brought back AND kidnapping Wandafar, a super genius by anyones measure of the word then this new attack had only one aim.

They would attack on the way in as they leapt and blasted, then they would get close and explode next to the Vanguardians and the mansion, wiping them from the face of the earth! But why? Who were they? Frostbite knew then, somehow, this case would be the biggest challenge of his life!

OOC Frostbite sees three targets at any one time (because of the leap up/down nature of the enemy and the tree cover). He can attack at range via various means, or perhaps create an ice structure to shield Sentinel. He could get up close and touch the nearest zomborg to let Frostbot do his thing, or he might have something else up his sleeve...

=========

Yeoman gathered up the fallen and considered his options. 

With so much damage to the place he was pretty sure the site to sit teleport was offline, and that meant a long, windy, cold flight to London where he could call on the services of a number of medical personnel who could help with the injuries (OOC I need to scan back in the archives for the lady in question, but the Vanguard have been treated by her before.) With a sigh he jury rigged a gurney and twisted metal around it to form a protective, if crude, barrier. It would take a minute or two to set it up, and he looked to the ceiling, beyond which his friends would be struggling against the murderous Zomborgs!

In the wreckage of the room Retribution had been in, Haunt found the remains of the camera. Smashed. Near it had been a scrap of paper, mostly burnt, but with one written word he could make out. Carver. Did it mean anything? Retribution had written it down just before the attack. The man was thorough, and perhaps even better a detective than Haunt was, though he wasn't sure. Regardless, it was up to him now to follow the trail, thanks to the extent of Retributions injuries. There was also the matter of Wandafars kidnapping, and the small matter of getting this place up and running again. He'd been a lone wolf before this, but the attack and nature of the forces ranged against this place suggested that it might be prudent to team up with these people.

Suddenly he twitched. What was that? He looked around. He'd heard a voice somewhere.. in his head? Was he going mad? What had it said...?

'You are stronger together with this group than you ever could be alone...'

Haunt frowned beneath the mask and looked about. The camera smashed, the investigation at a dead end aside from one word - Carver. Did it mean something? An organisation? A person? Retribution had considered it important enough to write down, now it was Haunts turn to pick up the trail...

OOC More later, hopefully, though it might be at 03.00 when I get hom. Plus my battery is about flat now Sad Luckily I carry a spare in the bag Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 16 2013, 20:55

OOC Just seen the size of that post. In future (if I get chance) I will chop it up into smaller bite size chunks...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 16 2013, 22:14

Admin wrote:
Blood...

Lionheart stiffened wondering not only what he would find but also strangely whether they could replicate themselves if they killed suitable 'hosts'.  It was that thought that made him think, he ought to check things out.  had their just been bodies, then he wouldn't bother.  

Using his ultra keen senses, he began to search following the scent that he'd picked up.  Chances were he'd soon know if he was close or not.

OOC: Ok Lionheart will move as quick as he can, time is of the essence, and use his senses both to try and get the drop on any danger and or find out what is going on.  

Admin wrote:Frostbite saw his friend and comrade stagger under the blasts and knew the second wave of attackers had only one thing in mind. If they had achieved their aim of recovering the stolen blue capsule Lionheart had brought back AND kidnapping Wandafar, a super genius by anyone's measure of the word then this new attack had only one aim.
Taking to the air, he knew that he'd be a sitting duck, but he knew that he could make things more difficult for the Zomborgs before they got any closer.  First thing first, was to make things harder.  

OOC:"Frostbite will use, erm Ice Production to entomb these guys.  Knowing that they will likely make it harder for me if I attack more than one at a time, I will start with the lead guy and freeze him and so on with the next one and the next one.  If there is a way to do this so that the block of ice is itself a barrier, i.e. an area of ice, not just a single target, then I'll do that to hamper their vision and line of sight as best I can.

Anyway sorry to hear about real life woes Paul, glad your wife got the job, I know someone else who got a NHS job and then waited ages, hopefully things will settle down a little more for you all."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 17 2013, 00:15

Lionheart

Molving at speed through the mansion the hero didn't have to get far to find the first victim. A young woman, a maid, who'd fallen in a hallway whilst clutching a bundle of towels... Lionheart knelt by her and saw strange puncture wounds - two holes - in her neck. The blood had pooled beneath her and the wound looked strange. It looked to have festered, even though it was only minutes old! The flesh was greying and black veins sprouted from it. Feeling for a pulse Lionheart found no... no wait. 

She was still alive.

Just. He lifted an eyelid and was taken slightly aback. Her eyes were milky white, with the barest trace of dark behind it. They didn't register when he flicked fingers in fornt of her face. The smell was more than blood now though. She was... rotting?

Just then his amazing hearing picked up something else. Gurgling?

In a flash he was through the house and skidded to a halt in the kitchens. The large rooms were cluttered with pans and utensils as well as several ovens and other appliances associated with the catering required for a mansion of this size.

There on the floor were half a dozen kitchen staff, all downed and several looked to have gone down fighting with knives or rolling pins in hand. Standing over them was a six and a half foot tall armoured figure, and trailing from an arm were two metal tendrils stretching to the throat of an unfortunate older fellow in a butlers uniform. He was twitching and looking pale, and Lionheart was fairly sure he could see blood pumping up the thin metal tendrils into the monstrous Zomborg. It turned to look at Lionheart, and the tendrils retracted into the arm, whilst the other arm pulled up, the palm of the hand sphinctering open to reveal a flaring light that was getting brighter!

OOC Lionheart wins initiative. He's twenty five feet from the Zomborg. Assign Power Reserve and let me know what you're doing with this undead/metal monstrosity...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 17 2013, 07:17

Admin wrote:Lionheart

OOC Lionheart wins initiative. He's twenty five feet from the Zomborg. Assign Power Reserve and let me know what you're doing with this undead/metal monstrosity...

Lionheart controlled his emotions, though he was angry at what he saw before him, he knew that this wouldn't be the best approach toward the creature before him. No they needed answers and they needed a way to get this thing to yield them to the group.  

Making sure his force field was in place, so that the creature couldn't use its 'feeding tubes' on him.  Lionheart shifted gear and readied his powers to attack.  

OOC: "Ok here is what I wish to do, I want to pick up the creature, but I am mindful if I do this physically it might have some way to overcome my defences.  So I was wanting to do this via telekinesis, get it outside to where Frostbite can launch Frostbot at it to see if he can't try and get more information before it blows up on us all.  Assuming this is a good way to expedite matters I will do it that way.  However if its obviously not the best approach, then I will instead go for running in, grabbing from behind and running out with the creature toward the others where Frostbite can do the same.  

Assuming the whole running in, grabbing it and running out is not workable then I'll change tac and go for simply running in and punching it as hard as I can."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Mon Jun 17 2013, 22:37

OOC: Is it possible to combine metal forming with an attack, e.g repair the 'walker' with a blast that can strip/will the metal from the zombots without taking too long so they dont get a chance to get a hit in???

smaug

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Tue Jun 18 2013, 17:24

That would be two Dice actions; one for Fabricate (the power you make your suit/mech with), and one for metal manipulation (your ability to attack the zomborgs with), so unfortunately that wouldn't work. You might want to look into getting an advantage or something like that to let them combine actions when you improve your character in the future.

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 20 2013, 00:21

Lionheart

Using his telekinesis Lionheart hefted the thing from the floor with the power of his mind. It was quite a weight - around 1000lbs by Lionhearts reckoning - but well within his limits of 3 tons or so. Using his psychic energy he could boost that to a near limitless amount, but right now he considered that the creature in front of him wouldn't like to be manhandled so easily...

Indeed, it turned it's hand at an inhuman angle with a sickening CRACK! and a palm turned to face towards Lionheart...

OOC Note that Power Reserve in the latest (Dunecat) writeup is FATIGUING. This means that Lionheart can use 8APs of Power Reserve without any problems. If he uses 9-10 APs, he loses 2 Body/round, 11-12 APs of Power Reserve costs 4 Body/round, 13 (full) APs of POwer Reserve costs 7 Body. Lionheart has pretty fast (8 minutes) regeneration to recover lost body so it's not as bad as it sounds. So a 'safe' use of Power Reserve is 8APs or less, spread out amongst the abilities listed (Str, Empathy, Mental Blast, Mind Blast, Mind Probe, Telekinesis, Telepathy, Postcognition, Superspeed) as you see fit. Only mention it as you may wish to boost Superspeed from 8 to 16 points with Power Reserve. I will assume that he does, and so ... Roll 2d10 → [3,8] = (11) MISS.

Lionheart flicked the mental switch inside his head that sped his reflexes and speed to unbelieveable levels and watched calmly as the energy bolt spun past him in slow motion to smack into the wall to his right. Then he was off, the Zomborg tethered to him by an invisible rope crafted by his mind!

The hero sped past more bodies. The Zomborg had been fast an efficient, slaying in moments the entirety of the Mansion staff that it had found. 

Moving at ultrahuman speed he left the front hallway of the mansion out the front doors and around the side of the great old building to weave around the weapons systems jutting from the lawn and up to where Frostbite hovered next to Silver Sentinels giant robot. 

Frostbite saw the hero from the future appear as if from nowhere. Well, not quite 'nowhere' as a furrow in the law indicated where he'd run thanks to a burning trail of grass! 

OOC Figured Sentinel would want to attack as much as heal the robot, so chose the following option. If you want to heal the robot up, I will amend the post... Basically in one 'round' you can perform three actions, one of which can be a move action and one can be a dice action (meaning it requires a dice roll to determine success, as attacks do). Those actions that don't require a roll are 'automatic' actions.

Meanwhile Silver Sentinel  considered his options and chose one. The robot made no move but inside the mech Sentinel gestured towards the nearest Zomborg.

OOC Silver Sentinels Metal Manipulation power will do the trick if the roll is decent enough. Roll 2d10 → [7,4] = (11) Success. Just. On the dot. And so...

The Lead Zomborg changed from a jumping, bounding engine of destruction into a solid metal and flesh cube, landing with a thud in the mud!

OOC Silver Sentinel can more or less take these things out with but a wave of his hand, but needs a (slightly) above average roll (11) to do so. Attacking more than one makes things (much) harder, but a lucky roll might wipe out the whole lot of them. Is Frostbite turning tangible and touching the Zomborg? The Zomborgs will be attacking again in force shortly.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jun 20 2013, 07:35

Frostbite looked back from Sentinel's attack and heard his friend shout his way as he came careering toward him.  Seeing what his friend had in mind, Frostbite nodded, giving a mental command to Frostbot,

"Time to go to work, friend.  But we know this tec is far superior to what we're used to, so be careful."

Frostbite was shocked to find he actually cared what happened to Frostbot.  In some way, he was more than just programming, but still far from human.  Nonetheless, right now they couldn't afford to get this wrong.  

OOC: Thanks for the reminder about power reserve, during the back and forth I completely overlooked that.  Its my failing I start to glaze over when stuff starts getting talked about in rules terms.  The reminder is helpful.  

Ok so Frostbot can try to learn what he can from this Zomborg.  Then try to use that against the others. Meanwhile Lionheart will keep the creature off guard to stop it getting a bead on us.  If Frostbot gets into trouble or there is any other sort of problem, Lionheart will attempt to dispatch it.  Perhaps throw it as a weapon at the Zomborgs."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next