The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

3 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' - Page 3 Empty Re: World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

Post  Admin Mon Dec 05 2011, 23:34

OOC I think we had a pile of posts from the old forum as well - remember it kept going kaput, hence we ended up ere. Should have just done it in the first place, but hindsight is a wonderful thing Smile It's all credit to you guys as players - real life generally dictates these things last no more than a few months, year on the outside. Fingers crossed we'll still be here for a long while yet Smile Right, Question time ...

ok couple of questions before I take things on:

1. How many dark points have I left or are they all gone?

None left. They drain off if not used. Think of the dark power as a boost to your character rather than a constant 'power up'

2. Where do I most likely sense the activity coming from, I am more likely to suggest that I head in that direction and that our forces do not bunch up. If the Duke is planning something I don't want everyone in one place where he can drop something nasty on them, at once.

It was coming from somewhere within the castle. Common sense suggests that a noble would be in the higher levels and servants scuttling down below, or if he's a bad guy, maybe in the dungeons...

- Assuming I have points left, I'll use them to detect where he is, and get myself there pronto, to stop him before he can complete what he is up to.

As above, no points...

- If I've not points left then I'll make for where activity is going on intangible style

Take your best guess. The Castle is in turmoil. A small army is gathered outside it, a Dragon amongst them along with the dread and legendary Crimson Legion and the servants are terrified. Plenty of activity but its of the hiding in a cupboard variety for the most part. At least the obvious stuff is, with serving maids screaming and fainting, running away etc.

- If I've not way to detect where the summoning is coming from and no points, I will quiz the Captain of the guard for a location, and get there.

The Captain of the Guard seems reluctant to speak, but knowing that his silence could result in the death of his men and the destruction of the castle, sighs and concedes. "The Duke was always a just and fair man. Since the Queen was abducted - the first Queen - and Morrigan in the North declaring herself a new Dark Queen, the Duke has been withdrawn, short of temper and cruel. He held court this morning and had a servant beheaded for spilling a drink! Most unlike him, and I don't mind admitting it shook me up. The Duke is wise, and powerful though. He was a mighty mage before he took on the role, unmatched by any in these parts save Morgana herself, and it seems, this mysterious new Dark Queen, Morrigan. Who she is and where she came from, no one knows. Rumour has it she is summoning a tide of darkness from across the land to gather to her banner. I've heard it myself from several merchants in the last day, fearful upon seeing massed groups of dark folk making for the North. More than ever we need the Duke to rally the forces of good. It seems there was a replacement Queen declared and crowned, but confused reports suggest that she too is missing."

"The Dukes' whereabouts? in the high towers..." he pointed... "though in the last day he has taken to locking himself in the dungeon. Again, I say it is strange, but the ways of Wizards are mysterious. Perhaps he seeks a way to thwart this 'Dark Queen' and bring peace to the realm. I would not be surprised if he were preparing a way to counter you, Outlander! How you beguiled the Crimson Legion is beyond me! They respect and follow power above all else! Though I will admit.. ne'er have I seen a man walk through so many blades with not a mark on him..." he shivered and made the sign of the protective horn...

In addition to one of the above suggestions I will also:

i. Order my forces to fan out and make themselves a harder target.

The Knights under Warren take charge of the streets surrounding the castle, and reassure the populace. The Crimson legion fan out, blades drawn, intent on finding the Duke...

ii Tell Warren to get the Captain to show him cells to see if the Queen, to whom I am assuming he is loyal, is present and he release her. I also suggest Warren send some of his most trusted soldiers to assist. And for all forces to be on high alert, for the Dukes counter strike.

Warren speaks up "Show us these Dungeons, man! A womans' life - the Queens! - may depend on it!"

The Captain looks reluctant, but Warren presses "If you hinder rather than help, you are in league with the Dark Queen! When war comes - and it surely will save for a miracle - that would make you my enemy, sir! You do not..." he leaned in close... "Want that!" he hissed.

The Captain led the way into the castle, down corridors and passages and past terrified servants. The guards challenged them but were waved away by the Captain, whose hurried walk turned into a jog. Then he paused. Warren hissed "Do you feel it?"

Frostbite narrowed his eyes. Though not possessing any special superhuman senses, he too felt the presence of something, a building evil... They stood before a locked oak door that led into the dungeons below. Warren strode forward, testing the door. "Locked! Where is the key? That or I can hack it down!"

Suddenly they heard a womans' scream from somewhere behind the door and in the dungeons depths!

Elesieth?

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land' - Page 3 Empty Re: World War Weird - Frostbite Issue #3 'Stranger in a strange land'

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 06 2011, 07:17

Admin wrote:OOC I think we had a pile of posts from the old forum as well - remember it kept going kaput, hence we ended up ere. Should have just done it in the first place, but hindsight is a wonderful thing Smile It's all credit to you guys as players - real life generally dictates these things last no more than a few months, year on the outside. Fingers crossed we'll still be here for a long while yet Smile Right, Question time ...

Indeed that old forum did start getting a bit flaky. When I think back to how we started and the numerous twists and turns that this campaign has undergone, its really been quiet amazing. Shame others haven't/couldn't stick around its certainly been a brilliant ride so far...

Admin wrote:Suddenly they heard a womans' scream from somewhere behind the door and in the dungeons depths!

Elesieth?[/b]

OOC: Well you know how to push all my buttons don't you.

Frostbite didn't wait for Warren and his men to batter down the door, Elesieth or at least someone was in desperate need of help. Frostbite strode forward not waiting, but shouting back, "Follow me when you can!"

Before striding forward into the Dungeons and toward the emanation of evil.

OOC:

Ok so firstly although I know someone is in danger I don't want to risk taking the obvious route, so once I've got my bearings beyond the door, I am going to slide along within the walls or floor or ceiling, whatever seems most appropriate to avoid triggering a trap. Though I am intangible I am not indestructible and want to avoid any magical traps that might still be triggered and trap me.

Secondly once I realise where I am heading I will seek a way in that allows me a chance to spy before I make my next move. I'll pop my head in from he ceiling or floor or something - some way to get a look see, without being looked at or seen - if at all possible. It might be that its not, but we'll see what happens.

I think at that point I prepare for what is next by calling on the dark power again, as I know Joe/Frostbite 1 isn't strong like Joseph/Frostbite 2 and despite having the Energy Manipulation this is probably going to need something with a bit more bite, than frost!

Anyway I'm trying to anticipate things so we can move things along a bit.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 06 2011, 22:29

Frostbite moved through the door as if it weren't there, looked about to see a passage to the left and right, then set off to the left. He passed cells lining the right hand wall, and flew down steps towards another level.

Once there he stopped to listen, and heard more screams! Again he raced off, but not so that he blundered into traps - and he saw several. On the floor were marked a number of pentagrams that the unwary might have stepped on. He simply flew over them, and triggered nothing. At the end of the corridor, having ignored cells to his left and right now for some time, he paused at a stone door (whereas the others had been wood). This time there were runes etched around the stone door frame, and the screams were loud from within, which meant it couldn't be that thick.

Putting his head in through the door, Frostbite saw a shadowy chamber, very large, and lit with braziers in places. The door opened onto steps leading down to a large area which could only be described as a torture chamber!

In a cage along a wall was a beaten, bloodied looking man. He might have been imperious and well groomed at one point, but right now he looked like he'd been used as a football by elephants! He lay in agony, groaning with every scream of a woman on a stone alter. She was stripped naked, a woman in her forties but still fine of figure. A number of men in hooded robes stood about, holding black candles that gave off a strange red light, and one man paced around the table, a curved dagger in hand, chanting all the while. He paused, frowned, and looked about. "Is there someone here?" he hissed, sibilant voice echoing through the hall. Frostbite gasped, then pulled back out of sight. The man with the Dagger had been the double of the fellow in the cage! Could the woman be the original Dukes' wife? Maybe she had detected the change in her husband and been imprisoned down here along with him, to be sacrificed!

OOC Dark power growth is at +2, so pick a number for the Dark Power ego (1 upwards, but bear in mind I'll add +2 to it...). You face the evil Duke and half a dozen followers, who won't be a pushover, and have outdistanced the paladin, Warren, who will have to get round those traps somehow. Your call on the Dark power, but if you tell me how many points you go for, let me know as well what you'll be doing and will update in my next post. Well, assuming you make the Dark power roll with your nutty dice. I assume you'll use a hero point if need be.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 06 2011, 22:52

Admin wrote:OOC Dark power growth is at +2, so pick a number for the Dark Power ego (1 upwards, but bear in mind I'll add +2 to it...). You face the evil Duke and half a dozen followers, who won't be a pushover, and have outdistanced the paladin, Warren, who will have to get round those traps somehow. Your call on the Dark power, but if you tell me how many points you go for, let me know as well what you'll be doing and will update in my next post. Well, assuming you make the Dark power roll with your nutty dice. I assume you'll use a hero point if need be.

OOC: Oh yes do count on the hero points where necessary. I will call on an even 10 points, this is obviously going to be a difficult battle, so with +2 that makes an ego of 12 +2d10 v my ego +2d10 (watch as the DP gets exploding dice and I'm forced to use hero points Rolling Eyes

Once I've got my points, I will want to take out the Duke, protect the girl and stop the other guys before the get started.

As an aside I've read the first two posts on the Lore Knights sight and it sounds find, not unlike what we do already apart from you rolling the dice. Anyway the who thing of coming up with a number based on evaluating the situation and adding numbers from the pool sound fine. I'll have to see it played out for a while before I know if its as good and easy as it sounds. But to some degree my reservations may just be based on my unfamiliarity with it. Keep me posted.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 06 2011, 23:38

OOC ego 15+2d10 vs Dark Power Ego (effectively 12) +2d10. [8,9,15] = (32) Frostbite [1,5,12] = (18) Dark power [6,8,6,8,2,2,9,3,2,3] = (49) Dark Power points, times 3 equals 147 points. Pretty lousy dark power points total from 10d10, just short of 5 average, but it might do the trick. Your call on how you want to spend them. Maybe step into the room and blast the Evil Duke with Dark power blast or use a power of some kind? Missing could hit the Good Dukes wife, and with your rolls, there's no guarantee of anything! Dark Power Growth stands at +3. You have 2 frames to act, then another full round before the points start dropping off at 1d10/round after that.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 07 2011, 07:18

Admin wrote:OOC ego 15+2d10 vs Dark Power Ego (effectively 12) +2d10. [8,9,15] = (32) Frostbite [1,5,12] = (18) Dark power [6,8,6,8,2,2,9,3,2,3] = (49) Dark Power points, times 3 equals 147 points. Pretty lousy dark power points total from 10d10, just short of 5 average, but it might do the trick. Your call on how you want to spend them. Maybe step into the room and blast the Evil Duke with Dark power blast or use a power of some kind? Missing could hit the Good Dukes wife, and with your rolls, there's no guarantee of anything! Dark Power Growth stands at +3. You have 2 frames to act, then another full round before the points start dropping off at 1d10/round after that.

OOC:

Ok here is what I want to do, increasing my Energy manipulation to three grades higher, so that is 45 points, and with that do a quick blast on the Evil duke twice. Since I don't need to roll to hit, its just a question of damage, and I will go for pouring on the damage, but aimed at HTC, since I want to try and bring the evil duke to justice or at least to show nothing bad has been going on.

My plan following that depends on what happens next.

Assuming I get sufficient initiative, I want to put a force wall of ice around the women and the imprisoned Duke, to protect them before laying about with the others to take them down. I will put myself in harms way, if need be, to protect the non combatants in any case, especially if the acolytes with the Evil Duke get any fancy ideas.

===
Frostbite shouted to the occupants of the room as he lay about blasting with his dark empowered icy cold touch. "Lay down your weapons and step away from the Duke, this is your only warning."

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 08 2011, 12:55

Frostbite stepped, intangible, through the rune trapped door. Once more his powers came into play as he switched to tangible, then boosted his Cold Manipulation beyond all known limits!

OOC I don't recall the mechanic we used for last time. You have all manner of tricks and treats you can pull off with grade 5. Assume each higher grade increases the previous grades area of effect, range, and damage by a factor of 2, dividers reduced by an extra 1 point. Three extra grades means x6. Roll [4,6] = (10) x6 with dividers reduced to nothing. 60htc. That's an incredibly solid hit in anyones book...

The possessed wizard screamed, and cried out as he turned blue, his blood turning blue under his skin! Ice formed around him, making a block of the stuff as a prison!

The wizards/acolytes shrieked in horror at seeing their Duke incapacitated, and were even more surprised when an icy dome formed around the 'good' duke and his wife, partitioning off the room!

Suddenly one of the Evil wizards screamed, and clawed at his face in agony! His skin split - quite literally - down the middle and from the sack like skin bag stepped a skinless man, eyes glaring evil! Another Wizard screamed and collapsed onto the floor, nothing more than skin and bones, dust spilling from their form! The skinless man was now clothed in skin, albeit without hair (or clothes!) It was the evil Duke!

"YOU ARE POWERFUL, OUTLANDER! I WILL ENJOY CALLING ON YOUR POWER!" he laughed. He pointed a hand and blasted at Frostbite!

OOC [4,4,3,6] = (17)-17=0 accuracy (but it's a double!) plus [3,3] = (6) another double! plus [3,8] = (11). Total accuracy 17. Dividers reduced to 1. Multiplied by 5 for 85 damage, split 43htk, 42htc. I will assume you Parry and use a hero point if necessary! The doubles really shook things up though (see why I wanted to get away from using dice? Smile ) Frostbites Parry (with energy manipulation grade 5) is automatic. His damage is [3,3] = (6) double plus [1,6] = (7) 13 points. Multiplied by 6 for 78 parried, which means Frostbite takes no Htk and 7htc

Frostbite throws up his hands and creates a shield of pure cold to counter the searing energy coming his way! The room lights up and shards of ice shatter on the floor as flames lick about! The energy blast dies off and though Frostbite feels singed, he's still up for the fight!

OOC You used 2 frames from next round to parry. Initiative is 1d10=2 Frostbite, 1d10=6 Bad guy Once more the bad guy attacks again! This time he fires a high power blast (x8). [9,8,3,6,-17] = (9) hit, 72 damage split 36htk/36htc. Any response to that? You're on 48htk, 42/49htc. This would drop you to 12htk, 6htc. You have 2 frames, then the bad guys remaining 2 frames. The Duke and his wife are protected, the four remaining acolytes have run for cover, and the naked guy with blazing eyes is laughing as he blasts away at you...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 09 2011, 07:37

OOC: Sorry tried several times to sort out a reply yesterday, but anyway here we go...

Admin wrote:OOC You used 2 frames from next round to parry. Initiative is 1d10=2 Frostbite, 1d10=6 Bad guy Once more the bad guy attacks again! This time he fires a high power blast (x8). [9,8,3,6,-17] = (9) hit, 72 damage split 36htk/36htc. Any response to that?

OOC: Please always assume a response unless I say otherwise. Also can we have the updated DPP as its difficult to know what to do next when you aren't sure what you've got left?

Anyway I'll parry.

I've got a problem here haven't I? Firstly I am not sure how much HTC/HTK he has left after my initial attack - he appears to be none the worse. But secondly we seem pretty evenly matched and with me having to go on the defensive, I'm just burning up frames defending myself. SO I need to do something dramatic.

Taking a leaf from Dave's book, I think if I've the points for it I'll go for Probability Manipulation and try and get something dramatic to happen in my favour so that I can either use my upgraded Energy Manipulation or Dark Blast him. But I have to get the upper hand somehow.

"YOU ARE POWERFUL, OUTLANDER! I WILL ENJOY CALLING ON YOUR POWER!" he laughed. He pointed a hand and blasted at Frostbite!

Frostbite throw up his arms as he sought to repel the incoming attack. He sought to control his frustration and anger. How could he be so stupid as to not have guessed the Duke had an evil counterpart! That it was he and not the good duke who was responsible for what had taken place. Perhaps a whole lot of pain could have been spared if he'd gone about this in a more cunning way.

"Don't be so sure that you've haven't already bitten off more than you can chew. Greater threats than you have tried to take a piece of me! But only I am here to tell the tale. But you had your chance and you decided you were the better man, now only character and strength are left to determine who is right."

Frostbite only hoped the reverse wasn't true, that he hadn't acted hastily. His feeling for Elsieth clouding his judgement? But he knew he had to somehow get the upper hand. What if he could make the Duke falter, make a huge mistake, that would switch the advantage back to him. Already a plan began to form in Frostbite's mind. It wasn't big and it wasn't clever but need it be?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 09 2011, 23:39

OOC You had 147 DPP, spent 45, have 102. Plenty in other words. You'll need them, facing a magician of this order! You use your frames this round to parry (takes 2 frames to parry the 2 frame energy attack). [3,4] = (7) x6=42. This reduces htk to nothing, htc damage to 30. You're on 48htk, 12/49htc.

Despite his efforts Frostbite could only throw up another defensive shield of pure cold! Flames licked around it and he cried out as he was slammed backwards by the blast! The blow was so powerful Frostbite had flown back some 3m into the door, and groaned as he slid down, though his thick hide had protected from the impact. Then he looked up, and saw the mage blast again with his seemingly limitless energy!

OOC Dark Dukes' last 2 frames of this round. This could get tricky! If you get a chance - at all - before the Dark Duke takes you out, I suggest you boost vigour! Might be the best tactic of any Dark Power uses when facing a superior opponent! Remember he is empowered by the Grail, but unlike Elesieth (his good counterpart) he was already an accomplished, almost legendary, Wizard. The Grail power on top gave him the equivalent of all his Christmases at once! He blasts again, with a x5 blast taking 2 frames. [6,10,3,6,-17] = (Cool HIT, 20htk, 20htc. Dividers reduced to nothing. I assume you use 2 frames from next round to parry as well. 2d6 → [2,5] = (7) x6 for 42 points. Reduces the htk to nothing, the htc to nothing.

Seeing the flash of another blast come in, Frostbite threw up a hand again! Hie energy formed into a sphere around his fist, and met the incoming blast head on! This time he was able to push the powerful blast backwards until it dissipated, but he knew he was on borrowed time! He needed to break this cycle of being on the back foot! Somehow this guy had limitless energy to tap from, though that blast had been slightly weaker than the one before it!

Just then Frostbite saw movement out of the corner of his eye. One of the mages, the assistants for the Dark Duke! He looked... older? He was clutching his chest, his skin sagging and thin on a face that looked like it'd aged in the last seconds by decades! The other acolytes were hiding out of view but this one was struggling to move at any speed, back near bent double and shuffling like an OAP!

Oops! Frostbite glanced back to the Dark Duke, who was laughing now, seeing as he had his opponent on the ropes!

"Surrender, and I shall let you live! I cannot guarantee your remaining time shall be painless though! You shall beg me to kill you, but I shall first find out how it is you are able to withstand the power I wield! Tell me Outlander, from whence do you come and wherefore is the source of your power? You speak with fire, grit and determination... but I sense intelligence sorely lacking, else you would be begging for mercy right now!"
he monologued.

OOC Initiative. You need a break. You have 2 frames having burnt through another two defending yourself. 1d10=9 Hero, 1d10=4 Bad guy. And you get them. You have the vast range of powers to call from and 2 frames to act. You could buy more frames (your points start to dwindle next round and your field manipulation switches off!) but regrouping might be an option, seeing as you are almost staggered. Vigour another option, a forcefield of some kind, teleport out of there... turn intangible? Though his attack reduces dividers and could in theory harm you. Your call, but it's another close one...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:12

Admin wrote:OOC Initiative. You need a break. You have 2 frames having burnt through another two defending yourself. 1d10=9 Hero, 1d10=4 Bad guy. And you get them. You have the vast range of powers to call from and 2 frames to act. You could buy more frames (your points start to dwindle next round and your field manipulation switches off!) but regrouping might be an option, seeing as you are almost staggered. Vigour another option, a forcefield of some kind, teleport out of there... turn intangible? Though his attack reduces dividers and could in theory harm you. Your call, but it's another close one...

OOC: Ok as usual things aren't all they seem and this fight is far from straight forward. Hmm, I was going to try something novel and new, but in truth if this wizard is stealing the life force of his acolytes then time is on my side. I can always get more Dark Power, in any case, certainly for the moment as the hero points will keep me from making a bit mistake. But I'd rather be heroic, so for the time being I'd like to increase my vigour and improve my chances of survival, since points are about to drop out, if there is a chance to blast back with my Energy manipulation or the Dark Blast (given the circumstances whatever you think best) then I'd like to do that also. I need to finish this.

Admin wrote:"Surrender, and I shall let you live! I cannot guarantee your remaining time shall be painless though! You shall beg me to kill you, but I shall first find out how it is you are able to withstand the power I wield! Tell me Outlander, from whence do you come and wherefore is the source of your power? You speak with fire, grit and determination... but I sense intelligence sorely lacking, else you would be begging for mercy right now!" he monologued.

Frostbite took the opportunity to use his empowering energy to heal up the damage he'd taken. Never since fighting back in his own time, had he remembered a blow like which he had been dealt. Yet he remained standing!

"I'd beg only to one whom I could look up to or respect, one who was worthy of acknowledgement rather than a jacked up, upstart who has to rely on his lacky's just to prop him up. Come on Duke, tell the truth now, the real man here. The duke who is worthy of the title probably tripped and knocked himself out, but you took the credit and the light and sound show you've put on is just to impress the natives. Without your men, your connections, who are you really! Some wannabe, some pretender, clouds without rain, blown along by the wind! Well step up and show us who you really are? "

Frostbite was doing what he often had to do, provoke his enemy into letting his emotion and sizeable ego get in the way of good judgement. Either the Wizard would soon burn himself out or indeed succumb to the temptation of having to prove if he had substance to his claims or merit. Either way, Frostbite hoped he had what it took, left in him to see off this pretender, without causing more untold misery.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 11 2011, 13:20

OOC ok you had 102 points, you're spending, what, 20? For grade 1 vigour? 35 for grade 2? you'll get +60htc +48htk for each grade (or the other way round if you prefer). I'll assume you go for grade 2, leaving you on 67 Dark power points which start to drain at 1d10/round from next round. The Vigour will last 3 rounds from here on. Boosts you to 132/169htc and 144htk. Should be enough to last you out! Your vigour score is +24 at the moment. When the Vigour power leaves you, damage is taken from the boosted vigour first, so it may end up leaving you on full htc as well, which is a nice bonus. Bad guys four frames.

The Mage looked angry. "Why won't you fall?" he growled, voice deep and echoing through the chamber. He gnashed his teeth, then thrust a hand out at Frostbite!

Two more blasts flew at Frostbite!

Despite the blasts striking Frostbite head on, he felt sure he would be able to withstand them, and so grit his teeth as they struck his chest!

"No!"
groaned the Dark Duke. "WHY WON'T YOU DIE!"

Suddenly all his remaining acolytes screamed at once! Something big was about to happen!

OOC [8,9,3,6,-17] = (9) HIT x5= 23htk, 22htc [7,3,3,6,-17] = (2) HIT x5= 5htk, 5htc. Not particularly powerful blasts. I'll assume you don't parry (even though you wanted to autoparry all attacks...) otherwise he'll eventually grind you down... That puts Frostbite on 67 Dark power points, 105/169 htc, 116/144 htk. By my reckoning you have 9 hero points remaining. You'll all be getting a very healthy dose of Hero points at the end of the issue if all goes well. I may up the ante with regards the Dark Power. You don't want to rely on it and I agree, so the Dark power ego mechanic will change. You'll get a higher boost when you use it, but the chances of failure will increase dramatically. More to follow. Initiative [8] = (8) Frostbite [4] = (4) Dark Duke. 2 frames to Frostbite. He's lost 1d10 → [5] = (5) Dark Power points putting him on 62 Dark power Points, Field Manipulation is back to grade 2. Vigour lasts 2 more rounds before fading.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 11 2011, 13:52

Admin wrote:Suddenly all his remaining acolytes screamed at once! Something big was about to happen!

More than anything Frostbite needed to put this Dark Duke Despot down. So calling on the remaining power within him, he brought forth his most devastating blast.

Admin wrote:OOC Initiative [8] = (Cool Frostbite [4] = (4) Dark Duke. 62 Dark power Points, Field Manipulation is back to grade 2. Vigour lasts 2 more rounds before fading.

OOC: Ok going to use 40 points on a Dark power Blast to try and take out this Duke, but all on HTC, so that I can knock him out till next Tuesday before deciding what to do with him. Just wish I had more crystal swords to use. Anyway if need be will use a Hero point so I don't miss, don't wish to throw all that power away in a last ditch attempt to take him out only to miss.

After that given that I am still powerful enough to withstand most of his attacks, I will not take defensive action for the time being unless he starts going nova and my health drops dangerously low, as in Staggered/Stunned territory etc. When its my turn I want to lay some smack down on him, so thinking of empowering strength - if still enough points left to blast him or else using my Field Manipulation to get him whilst he is down. Whatever seems most profitable given the state of play and what comes off in a moment.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 12 2011, 22:43

OOC 22 Dark power points remaining. The blast comes up with WC5, Multiplier x5, DD -4 [10,7,5,6,-17] = (11) HIT PLUS a hero point which gives [9,7] = (16) points. Those are some hefty rolls! 27 accuracy, 135htc damage!

Sending a dark beam slamming into his foe, Frostbite sees the Dark Duke spin about, crashing to his knees! His acolytes scream, all but one die immediately whilst another ages from his thirties into what seems to be his late sixties! With only one left, one with time running out before death by old age, the Dark Duke stood, quivering. His voice was quite normal now.

"Wait! Wait..." he licked nervous lips, looking at his last acolyte. "Wait... I can offer you... riches... land, titles, power, influence! Anything your heart desires! Just... I need to ... give me the woman! Her sacrifice will... I can provide... power... I must..." his voice trailed off and with a strangled cry his last acolyte died. The Duke cried out and dropped to his knees, a broken man!

The ice dome started to melt and a sobbing Duchess staggered up, walking to her imprisoned husband, a battered version of the Dark Duke. The Dark Duke himself got up and scooped up a dagger! "I can still..." he swung the blade, but it clattered without harm against Frostbites chest! The hero had flown over and interposed himself between the Dark Duke and his target. "How can you do these things? Who are you?" he wailed. He stabbed again, but a backhand from Frostbite sent him sprawling with scattered senses!

The real Duke, after Frostbite had frozen the lock, was freed from his cell and hugged his wife. "I echo the evil ones question. Who are you, and where did you come from? You are a miracle though, for i and my wife feared our lives were at an end, and the people I rule over would have been subjected to this... curs... whim!"

The Dark Duke stirred, wiped blood in a smear across his face and slunk back to stay away from his fearsome foe!

"What do we do with him?" asked the Duke. The Dark Duke narrowed his eyes. "I offer you power! The World! Join with me!" he cried...

OOC fight over, remaining points used to counter damage from the dagger with instant healing.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 13 2011, 07:28

Admin wrote:OOCThe real Duke, after Frostbite had frozen the lock, was freed from his cell and hugged his wife. "I echo the evil ones question. Who are you, and where did you come from? You are a miracle..."

Frostbite let himself chuckle for a moment a humourless laugh as he felt relieved, that somehow he had prevailed. But he didn't let his eyes off the evil duke, whom he did not trust to remain passive for long.

"Nay, not a miracle, but a solider who seeks to right wrongs." A dark look crossed his face as he realised he and Putty had been responsible for the damage caused here and how it was their interference that had caused the grail to spit out this evil opposites.

Then moving over to the Duke, Frostbite first bound his mouth with strips of cloth and then his hands, before finally binding his feet also. He didn't trust the Duke one bit, and was keen to make sure that he didn't launch any sudden surprises. After binding him securely, he simple said, "night, night" And firmly, but as humanly as he could laid him out with a Coup De Grace.

"Things are not always as they seem, your people, out of loyalty to you followed what they thought were you orders, but the land has suffered as this imposter was the one who gave them. Now evil forces gather to Morragan and she has captured Morgana and Elsieth - seeking in some way to do to them, that which this evil counterpart was trying to do to you, a seal their position. I gather forces, loyal to me, though I must confess of mixed motives. But I gather them with a desire to rescue the Queen's and set right the balance once and for all."

OOC:

Ok I think from here, once the Duke is ready we need to get him top side to meet his people and set things in motion to get things sorted.

I will hold onto the evil Duke, for the time being I am not letting him out of my site, I also want to find out what we can from any of his acolytes, - if any still live, and or if we can find out what has happened to Elsieth and the Dark Elves moving through this place.

Assuming that they have moved on, its probably time I tell Sentinel to join me. From what I read he is having a bit of a hard time with that nemesis the Dark Queen has sent against him.

I'll need to work out, with the Duke, and my allies what we do with the Duke, I don't trust him at all, so I am not happy with the thought of him joining us, given half a chance I know he'd stab me in the back. But I can't kill him either without being plagued by another. So perhaps for now we need to administer some sort of sedative to keep him under.

Anyway I think over to you.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 13 2011, 23:46

OOC My next update for Sentinel (after his action/reply) should clear up the Elesieth issue and reunite the pair of you, so this is an interim update...

The Duke and his wife were extremely grateful, but didn't understand why the Dark Duke could not be assassinated for his crimes. The magic of the Grail would simply empower or create another evil to balance the good/evil status in land. The best way was what Frostbite had done - incapacitate and imprison the evil, ensuring that they are kept alive but taken out of the equation. Essentially, that upset the balance of power, but did not trigger the Grails magic.

Of course, it was all for nothing if Elesieth was not freed, but there again Frostbite was encouraged. The Forces of Darkness, headed by Morganas' evil counterpart Morrigan, would also know of the enchantment. That meant it would be pointless for them to execute Elesieth or Morgana as another would spring up to take their place. What was more likely was that they would be used, somehow, to augment their evil counterparts power, all the while being kept - probably painfully - alive.

Now as the real Duke was helped up onto the battlements of the keep to address the warriors in the courtyard and the cities people, Frostbite looked further afield. The Dark Duke had arranged for Elesieth to be brought here. That she'd not gotten here yet meant there was a good chance Silver Sentinel had caught up with them in the forest and would bring her here. After that?

He turned, looking to the north and the east, at the distant mountains and gathering clouds. Every evil being in the land was drawn there, to gather into a huge swelling mass of an army! Could even the Vanguards power stand against that? Frostbite looked down at the Crimson Legion, the Dragon, and the Paladin with his Knights. They seemed many, and powerful, but when faced with a seething sea of evil, they would be washed away as a tide covers the beach! He shivered, wondering if he would have to call on the Dark Power yet again, and wondering what his frequent usage of his Dark Symbiote was doing to his soul...

OOC When I update Sentinel we'll merge the threads and the pair of you will continue together...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 14 2011, 08:43

Admin wrote:OOC [i]OOC When I update Sentinel we'll merge the threads and the pair of you will continue together...

Righto

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 14 2011, 23:59

OOC Check/post in Sentinels thread for a wrap on this part of the adventure. Morgana is on her way to Morrigans stronghold, Elesieth has been rescued (see the other thread) and you have the makings of an army. Once you've both posted a 'wrap' message I'll start a new issue and we'll conclude your adventures in this mystical realm - one way or the other!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3