The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread

3 posters

Go down

GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread Empty GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread

Post  andyman Wed Dec 07 2022, 04:45

I would like to propose changing the name of this campaign from GI JOE. I feel a bit catfished because I thought this would be a GI JOE game and I was excited to play a member of modern take on GI JOE and fight against COBRA. Something like "MARVEL GOLDEN AGE DESCENTS" fits better here, since this is unmistakably in the Marvel Universe.
andyman
andyman
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread Empty Re: GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Dec 07 2022, 10:24

G.I. Joe is a very old term and there were comics by that name years before they came out with the doll. Ziff-Davis printed them during the Korean War. Apparently, Dave Breger came up with the name when he did a strip for Yank magazine for the Army during WW2 by that name and the character's real name was Joe Trooper. Even DC did a couple of issues of Showcase with that name.

This is part of Paul's universe so it is a mish-mash of DC, Marvel, public domain Golden Age heroes and our own stuff. So not just a Marvel Universe here.

I thought of calling it Project Super Solider but went with Project G.I. Joe instead. Actually thought of calling it a number of different things like Project Hope, Project Hero and other names. Just went with the government's usual idea of making up bland and somewhat misleading project names for it. Like Project Blue Book, a real project, was the name for the Air Force exploring UFOs sightings. Before Project Blue Book there was Project Sign and Project Grudge doing the same mission.

While not totally wedded to the idea of Project G.I. Joe as it's name, it just fits with the government's way of doing things. Someone comes up with a better name, I'm willing to switch it up.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread Empty Re: GI JOE without COBRA? A Renaming Discussion Thread

Post  Admin Wed Dec 07 2022, 23:18

I didn't come up with any of these but one or two might fit:

A.C.E. = Advanced Combat Enterprises
B.O.X. = Battlefield Operations Xecutive
C.L.A.W. = Civil Law-enforcement Action Ward
E.A.G.L.E. = Earth's Aeronautical Governance Logistics Experiment
F.I.G.H.T. = Freedom's International Garrison of Heightened Terrestrials
I.C.E. = Inter-Continental Executioner
P.A.T.R.I.O.T. = Primary Anti-Terrorist Regional & International Operations Taskforce
S.A.G.A. = Strategic Assault Genetic Android
S.C.A.R. = Special Criminals And Renegades
S.C.O.U.R.G.E. = Secret Council Of Unlawful Renegade Gathering Evil
F.I.S.T. = Flying Infantry Shock Trooper
S.H.I.E.L.D. = Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-Enforcement Division
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. = The Higher United Nations Defense Enforcement Reserves
U.N.C.L.E. = United Network Command for Law Enforcement
A.A.A.A.A.A. = Association for the Abolition of Abused Abbreviations and Asinine Acronyms

They came from: https://www.iconian.com/acronyms.html which has a list of likely words to form an acronym from.

I know virtually nothing about GI Joe. It's an American thing and (I think) the equivalent over here was Action Man. Got a lot of adverts and TV time in the 70s but tailed off until I'm not sure it's even a thing over here now. The US version was obviously flashier whilst we made do with the same guy (albeit with different coloured hair) and a few vehicles and such to knock about in. I don't know whether a military based toy is even seen as marketable over here these days and it seems (from a quick search) that Action Man went away for a while but is now 'back'. Ah, more research, we have different rules about advertising toy lines via tv shows than the US.

Must admit it seemed not a week went by before a new tv show and must have toy line came out in the 80s. They really fed it to us. With a shovel.

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Dec 08 2022, 00:44

I've always thought about revamping THUNDER and making an US group instead of international like UNCLE was. Just changing it to National instead of Nations. It would make a good name for this government project if I did and originally considered doing it. But I have hopes that the original THUNDER Agents would make appearance some day in this game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.H.U.N.D.E.R._Agents
They are one of my favorite 60s super teams.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  andyman Sun Dec 11 2022, 23:59

Thanks. I originally thought this game would be based on the G.I.JOE TV show from the 80s. To me it's be like having a game called "Project Transformers" without robots in disguise.
andyman
andyman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down