The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR!

2 posters

Go down

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Empty What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR!

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2020, 11:48

INTRODUCTION

This little exercise stems from a discussion about whether our current heaviest hitting PCs (Lionheart and Miss Victory in the Ultrahumans) can measure up or even beat some of the established heavy hitters from the DC and Marvel universes (and beyond, if there are any others/interest).

DISCLAIMER: At the moment and for the last few years we have played using our HOUSE RULES (which probably need updating again. Something on the 'to do' list along with a Who's Who for our 10th nearly 11th year of gaming). The biggest rule changes for our house rules are:

HOUSE RULES

1) Hero Point reliance is diminished. To get rid of the 'I have a mountain of Hp therefore I will win, regardless' we experienced at one point when the PCs had 500+ HP pools, Skills changed.
2) D12s instead of D10s. SKILLS allow extra dice to be rolled and pick the best two to use, discard the others. Failure on a roll of 2-3 on the first two dice rolled and Burnouts are activated with +1 on their rules as written number. HP can be used to absorb damage as last ditch defence and buy extra dice to roll.
3) The game tables have gone. Instead it's AV + 2D12+ (where the + indicates skill or HP dice) vs OV + 2D12+. If AV Total (AVT) is equal or greater than OV Total, compare on a table to see the modifier to EFFECT value. Compare Effect Value - Resistance Value = Result APs. Doing it this way gets rid of the grouped columns for APs and means someone with 13 APs of something has a disadvantage against someone with 14 APs whereas rules as written mean they fight on the same column (13-15) for example. No more column shifts, column counting or threshold and no bidding with HP, boosting abilities with that endless pile of HP whilst your opponent has less HP and basically runs out before you do so you win. The dice play a much larger role. No fight is a foregone conclusion! Which leads us to...

IN THE RED CORNER...

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Miss-victory-picture

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Miss-Vicfory-NOV-2020

Miss Victory is a character run by David M on these boards. Based on a character created in 1941 and later revived by AC Comics as part of the Femforce line, her history can be found HERE on Wikipedia.

In the Vanguard Universe Miss Victory has been given a baptism of fire! Her first mission was to aid the Ultrahumans, the worlds most powerful superhero group, in stopping a mass breakout of bad guys from an 'Ultra Max' prison. She suffered brutal defeats but eventually escaped from the place though ultimately failed to prevent the mass escape of the villains, some of whom were vastly more powerful than she was. Recovering from that she joined the Ultrahumans to respond to a report of an attack on the White House. The survivor of an attack that took out all of her team she made it with the aid of a South American superhero (Fission) to the White House where the President is being held hostage in an underground bunker called 'the Vault' under the White House. That's where she is right now...

In one of our discussions I suggested that Miss Victory was sufficiently powerful to beat many heavy hitters of the Marvel and DC Universe. One of those was the Mighty Thor! I even went so far as to suggest it would be a short fight!

There are a number of things to note...

1) The stats for Thor are unofficial and come from HERE. These are based on the rules as written and that uses D10s, Hero Points and Skills in a different way and also uses certain house rules/new powers (notably Damage Capacity which basically adds +4 Body to Thor without increasing his Resistance Value).
2) If this were taking place in the comics it would basically be a popularity contest so Thor would win.

IN THE BLUE CORNER...

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Thor-Marvel-Comics-Odinson-Profile

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Thor-Unofficial

My observations...

Dex is overpowered in the game as written. It defines initiative, Acting Value in physical combat, Opposing Value in physical combat, provides limited movement rate, is used for manual agility/dexterity tasks and provides a useful link attribute for many skills and power. The writeup for Thor is fine... in a way. It's probably about right but relies on Martial Artist 8 and Weaponry 10 (13 with Mjolinir) for Acting Value as written and the character would also rely on a pile of HP.

With our House Rules Thor only has an AV of 7 which seems very low for him. That brings up another discussion where I have suggested characters have separate AV/OV and for ranged attacks AV/OV too. For instance the Hulk is brutish and slow but doesn't have problems whacking opponents even though he gets hit a lot. HOWEVER with our house rules Thor rolls FIVE extra dice when using his Hammer on opponents. Chances are he'll get a double and a much better roll than rules as written. I still think his relatively low Dex will determine the winner of this contest!

As for the rest of the write up, I have few observations to make - I'm not an expert on Thor but in the Marvel Game he is one of the more powerful superheroes based on Earth.

NEXT UP... Ding Ding! Seconds out... ROUND ONE!

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 12 2020, 16:46; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Empty Re: What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR!

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Nov 12 2020, 13:19

14 BODY not 13 BODY. I raised her body by one the last time we had hp to spend. alien
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR! Empty Re: What if...? MISS VICTORY vs ... THE MIGHTY THOR!

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2020, 16:47

DavidMcMahon wrote:14 BODY not 13 BODY.  I raised her body by one the last time we had hp to spend.  alien

Edited. Also changed the Character Datafile Smile

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down