The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lightning Bullet, a new hero

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Empty Lightning Bullet, a new hero

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Jun 26 2020, 22:01

Lightning Bullet

Another idea for a starting hero - 495 points plus disads.  

I've tried my hand at him having this as his own powers as seen below, though the points are off since you do skills and such differently.  Would he be cheaper in a somewhat armored supersuit that he needs to wear in order to use his powers ala Antman or the Atom?  Would add Body if he is cheaper in a supersuit to mimic the armor and remove Skin Armor if it is more or less the same?  I could swap them out that way.  

I gave him more Disads than I needed just to have some playing around room.

Eventually he is going to get his Shrinking down somewhere around 8-12 so between a mouse and an insect; right now the best he can do is small human size.  

The idea of the character is he charges/runs/leaps into someone and if he hits, shocks them with the no range lightning attack.  He also has his Flash attack so he can blind folks for a bit, which might help him when he charges into the attack.  Eventually, superspeed goes up as size goes down and then he starts doing multi-attacks against numerous foes, sort of like a billiard ball bouncing around on the pool table.

Martial Arts is his mostly goto fighting power until he gets enough HP to start raising everything.  And when he isn't in his armored heroic form, is his only means of fighting, [unless it is cheaper to have him develop the powers instead of a supersuit].

General attack plan, once he gets some more points to raise his levels, is Flash his Foes, then Crash into them, Shocking them for damage.

Lightning Bullet

dex  5 str  3 body  4 = 58
int  5 will  3 mind  4 = 58
infl  3 aura  3 spirit  3 = 38
= 154

Powers
2 Cling bc 10 + fc 2 = 12
2 Flash bc 20 + fc 4 = 24
2 Jumping bc 10 + fc 2 = 12
2 Lightning bc 15 + fc 3-1 [-no range limitation/touch] = 17
2 Sealed Sytems bc 5 + fc 6 = 11
2 Shrinking bc 15 + fc 5 = 20
2 Skin Armor bc 50 + fc 5 = 55
2 Superspeed bc 25 + fc 5 = 30
2 Systemic Antidote bc 5 + fc 5 = 10
2 Directonal hearing bc 5 + fc 3 = 8
2 Microscopic Vision bc 5 + fc 1 = 6
2 Regneration bc 25 + fc 8 = 33
2 Telescopic Vision bc 5 + fc 1 = 6
2 Ultra Vision bc 10 + fc 1 = 11

Wealth 10 = 32
= 287 [441 so far]

Skills
2 Acrobatics bc 15 + fc 7 = 7
2 Gadgetry bc 25 + fc 8 = 33
4 Martial Arts bc 25 + fc 6 = 18
2 Scientist bc 10 + fc 5 = 15
= 73 [514 so far]

Advantages
Genius 25
Expansive HQ 15
Insta-Change - press watch a certain way to activate. 5
= 45 [559]

495 start points + disads need to equal above

Disads [64 needed]
Secret ID 10
Uncertainity 15 [could get rid of this first if points not needed]
Irrational Atrraction Serious 25 - smaller things than normal such as miniature horses, Chihuahuas or micro-transmitters [or could reduce this to minor depending on points needed]
Traumatic Flashback 60 - auto crash when young, he wasn't small enough to reach his parents who were trapped in the car and they died.  Raised by a number of other family members as a result.
                      605 with disads max

skimpy origin - He is a millionaire inventor with his own supersecret HQ.  After the trauma of watching his parents die because he wasn't small enough to reach and save them, he became obsessed with making himself smaller so he could make a difference where size does matter.  This size compulsion also has brought about his irrational attraction to all things smaller than normal.

Thought about getting rid of superspeed and going with flight since he is a Bullet but superspeed is faster than flight and also could resemble a bullet being fired faster than the eye could see, so could go either way.  Wouldn't need Cling and Leaping if I went with flight.

So, what do you think?  How does he cost out with your new point system.  Powers vs having a supersuit?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Empty Re: Lightning Bullet, a new hero

Post  Admin Sat Jun 27 2020, 00:23

Reminds me a bit of a toy I wanted but never got when I was a kid (Bullet Man):

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Bullet-man

He's very weak. His AV5 EV3 is going to leave him struggling against guys with crowbars and whatnot. His RV6 is just about bulletproof using our house rules. In the normal game RV6 would take damage from guns but now needs to overcome the RV to inflict damage.

Shrinking increases his Ov by 2 (to 7) making him hard to hit but also the size of Puck (from Alpha Flight). In fact his attack sounds a lot like Puck too, bounding about and pinging off people.

His Martial Arts gives him 3 dice so he can always call on that to crit blow ordinary guys. I reckon he could hold his own against 3-4 ordinary goons. Cost wise I haven't run the costs through the program but they are the same as DC Heroes 3e/Blood Of Heroes 2e (I've not even started recosting stuff).

Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 01:00

Also reminded me of the old cartoon character Ricochet Rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPjg8BIfTzk

Also combined the idea with the old Bulletman character from Fawcett Comics, home of the original Captain Marvel, combined with Lightning Lad from the LSH and with Doll Man to make the Electric Bullet!    clown

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Bullet11
Lightning Bullet, a new hero Bullet12
Lightning Bullet, a new hero Bullet10

Think I should swap out Superspeed and Clinging and Leaping for Flight?  It would be cheaper that way but I lose the AV/OV/EV Advantages of Superspeed but would give me something like 40 more points to spend elsewhere.  I could see him hovering in the air, then a sudden flash of light, blinding all who look that way and then BING Bing BING! bouncing from bad guy to bad guy.

But I priced him using the 3rd ed rules having him having powers not a powersuit since I don't understand those rules for gadgets, not sure what changes Blood of Heroes did for the price of things.

So, I guess it depends on what this costs out to using a supersuit instead of him having superpowers.  And if it was power, then he wouldn't need the Gadgetry skill but probably would replace it with some kind of Science Scholar skill instead.

And putting Body into the suit would probably be cheaper than Skin Armor.
Another thought I had a bit later on was having increase Dex added to the suit, basically some kind of seek and avoid computer to help with movement and attack.  So his stats while nice wouldn't be all that impressive out of the supersuit.  Kind of like Tony Stark. so the points of Skin Armor could be spent on Body and Dex in the supersuit. Might actually work out pretty good that way.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 04:38

Okay, re-figured points so here is Lightning Bullet Mark 2
Lightning Bullet mk 2 supersuit

dex  5 str  3 body  4 = 58
= 154

SUPERSUIT
4 Flash bc 20 + fc 4 = 32
6 Lightning bc 15 + fc 3-1 [-no range limitation/touch] = 27
2 Sealed Sytems bc 5 + fc 6 = 11
5 Shrinking bc 15 + fc 5 = 35
3 Systemic Antidote bc 5 + fc 5 = 15
2 Directonal hearing bc 5 + fc 3 = 8
2 Regneration bc 25 + fc 8 = 33
2 Telescopic Vision bc 5 + fc 1 = 6
6 FLIGHT BC 10 + FC 2 = 22      
+2 BODY FC6-1*  = 12
+2 DEX  FC7-1*   = 20
* =  Adds to Wearer's stats only when wearing the supersuit. misc limitation

Wealth 11 = 40
=  278
SKILLS
2 Gadgetry bc 25 + fc 8 = 33
Gadget-supersuit
= 73
Advantages
Genius 25
Expansive HQ 15
Insta-Change press watch a certain way to activate. 5
Lightning Reflexes  20
= 65

total cost 570

495 start points + 75 pts disads need to equal above

Disads 75
Secret ID 10
Irrational Atrraction Minor - 5 - things that are smaller than normal such as miniature horses, Chihuahuas or micro-transmitters, etc.
Traumatic Flashback 60 - auto crash when young, he wasn't small enough to reach his parents who were trapped in the car and they died.  Raised by a number of other family members as a result.  Flashback whenever he needs to be smaller than human-size to do something.
                      570 total for character

Since I do not know how to make this using the gadget rules, this is the best I can do for the framework.  I've upped some powers and added a new Advatange and changed the disads a bit.  Got rid of some powers and added in Flight.  Not sure the extra Body and Dex in the supersuit is allowed or if it was done properly.  There's probably another way it was supposed to be done.

Sort of combine the two costumes of these heroes to make his powersuit.  The last two are of a character from the Dexter's Laboratory cartoon, one of the Justice Friends episodes.  He is called the Living Bullet.  Need to make them less bulky and merge it with the 1st pic.  I like the bullet insignia one the first pic, just need to add a bit of lightning halo around it or trailing behind it.  I'll see if I can figure out the version of Heromaker I can find online.  There are so many choices now it is actually hard to use compared to the old one.

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Hasbro10

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Living10

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Thu Jul 16 2020, 12:35; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 27 2020, 09:15

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Bullet-suit-stats

For this level of power (street level) I think the Golden Heroes game rules would suit it perfectly. Obviously there is less choice with abilities etc but I looked at the power level of the character and was immediately drawn to a GH level of character, ie. faster to catch a bus than use superspeed and so on. Probably be 3 frames/round instead of four as well (but mostly up against 2 frames/round guys)

However, we've been happy (?) with DC Heroes for so long now the best bet is to model using those rules.

Most of the 2AP powers are hopeless. 2AP sealed systems doesn't really do anything as it lasts 16 seconds for example.

The addition to stats isn't quite the way it's done. Adding doesn't really work in DC Heroes as you basically double the values every AP so +2APs is actually x4. Instead just buy the stats italicised. That means it swaps for the wearers stats. A house rule (or at least the way I see it) is italicised AND hardened Body swaps for the characters body. Instead of having an RV7 and Body 3 (so you can take 3 damage before keeling over) instead the character can take 7 damage before they drop. The gadget rules are a bit clunky I must admit and don't get me started on costs. Some of the gadgets in the game cost more money than there has EVER been on Planet Earth so it's hard to envisage how multimillionaire Green Arrow can quite afford his boxing glove arrow, for instance.

As mentioned I'd go with a medallion or a helmet which can be removed in combat and it makes costs much cheaper with gadgets. The problem with gadgets is that they don't heal - they need repair. That needs gadgetry, money and (costly) a lab as well as time, lots of time. No good having to go in the lab for 2 weeks without a break whilst the bad guys carry on their crime spree... Iron man covered that in a couple of panels and he was back at it but modelling that in a game is trickier otherwise everyone would use gadgets.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 13:45

What got me started on this is that I do not believe I've ever done a hero for this game who started out using the house rules/DC rules as a beginning level hero. Prof. Wynde came close but went over 900 HP when all was said and done. I kinda want to try playing in our world with a brand new low level character who has to work his way up to Haunt level powers and foes.

And hopefully, we will still be playing in 10 years time to get to Haunt level power. I love you I love you I love you

So I guess I will rejigger him as having powers instead of gadgets. Drop gadgetry and maybe raise his irrational attraction to 25 pt level and work on his stats. It was also the reason I made him a multi-millionaire and had his own expansive HQ, so he could work on his gadgets and build more as he needed. But that's just not really feasible in the game rules which is kind of maddening since there are so many DC characters with gadgets. So I can probably drop that and get some more points to spend.

But yeah, street level hero who can barely take on a non-powered costume foe and a couple of henchmen. Again, a class D or C Batman level foe like Kiteman or Calendar Man was my objective as a starter hero. And all his other powers are not much, but that's for now.

Figure out how he got his powers and try again. Did you know that Doll Man got his powers just by bending his Will to compress his body down in size? No secret formula. No energy bombardment. No magic spell. Just plain ole willpower. tongue

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 21:11

Lightning Bullet mk 3 powers

Secret ID: Maximillian "Max"  Montague Powers age: mid-20s
motivation: Upholding the good

Origin:  Max was on a road-trip with his parents the summer after graduating 6th grade.  There was a crash and they went off into a gully filled with water.  Max, who was in the backseat, could not reach his parents to release their seat-belts so that they could get free and get out of the car, due to the way the car was crushed in the crash.  So they died of a combination of their injuries and drowning.  Max, recovering in the hospital from his mostly minor injuries,  kept thinking that only if he had been smaller, he could have reached them and saved them.  This belief if he could be smaller he could have helped his parents drove him through adolescence.  This belief that smaller was better, drove the now adult 6' tall Max to study science in order to understand miniaturization better.  He became somewhat well-known in the field of miniaturization, creating a number of patents that he leased out to companies, making him a somewhat wealthy man.

Using his newfound wealth and the time it allowed him, he studied the problem and with the aid of a biofeedback device of his own design, inhaling certain gases and transcendental meditation was able to alter his body, shrinking in size and gaining powers undreamt of through the force of his Will.  After mastering this ability, he discovered increased vision powers remained with him all the time and the rest only activated when he shrunk his body to whatever size he choose.  Creating a costume that he keeps shrunk in a plain ring on his finger, he became the hero known as the Electric Bullet.

dex  7 str  3 body  6 = 104
= 200

4 Flash bc 20 + fc 4-1^^ = 29 [32]
6 Lightning bc 15 + fc 3-2 [no range limitation/touch & ^^] = 21 [27]
6 Sealed Sytems bc 5 + fc 6-2-1^^ = 23 body *L [29]
6 Systemic Antidote bc 5 + fc 5-2-1^^ = 17 body *L [23]
2 Directonal hearing bc 5 + fc 3-1^^ = 7 [8]
2 Regneration bc 25 + fc 8-1^^ = 32 [33]
4 Telescopic Vision bc 5 + fc 1 = 9
6 FLIGHT BC 10 + FC 2-1^^ = 16 [22]      
*L = Linked
-1^^=works only while shrunk

Wealth 9 = 24 earnings from patents
=  201 [259]

SKILLS
2 detective bc 10 + fc 7 = 17
2  medicine bc 5 + fc 6 = 11
2 thief bc 10 + fc 8 = 18
= 86

Advantages
Sharp Eye 15 -1 column perception checks
Insta-Change  5
Lightning Reflexes  20 +2 init
= 40

total cost 585   495 start points + 90 pts disads = 585

Disads 90
Secret ID 10
Irrational Atrraction serious - 25 - small things than normal such as minature horses, Chihuahuas, ships in bottles, microtransmitters, etc.
Traumatic Flashback 60 - auto crash when young, he wasn't small enough to reach his parents who were trapped in the car and they died.  Has flashbacks when someone smaller than his normal size is needed to help.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Jun 27 2020, 21:20

Did two things here to reduce costs.  First, two powers are linked to Body.  I realize that Sealed Systems isn't very viable since it only last about 4 minutes, but that can be enough in certain situations.  

Second, most of the powers also only work while he is shrunk, doesn't matter if it is only one size or max level shrinking, they activate.  The only powers I didn't/couldn't reduce already have a Factor Cost of 1, so he has those all the time, secret ID and hero ID.  If both cost reductions are allowed then I have another 58 points to spend to raise up some of the lower level abilities, skills and stats.  

Used the power of Will from Doll Man's power activation, used the inhaling of gases from the Golden Age Flash's origin, and used the ring with the gas that expands and contracts the costume from the Silver Age Flash's insta-change and mushed them all together for his power and costume origin.

I believe he is actually a fairly viable character with Flash, Lightning and Martial Arts as his attack abilities.  Much more viable in time.

Let me know what you think.  

Also, was there a Disad or is it an Advantage where you could get one or more Arch-foes?  Maybe in the Blood book?  If there was, I was thinking of him getting an arch-foe.  For Nite Raven, I was thinking of an arch-foe called Pack Rat but I could use him for Lightning Bullet just as easily.

Pack Rat is basically a hoarder, except he hoards other people's stuff - jewels, money, collections of whatever, art, weird weapons, things of sentimental value but not real monetary value, etc.  His hideouts are always some out of the way place where he keeps the stuff he steals, he rarely sells any of it.  I have this vague plan or story that Pack Rat robs Max's home and steals his collection of ships in bottles, which brings Lightning Bullet to the case, probably one of his very first cases.

Pack Rat is a small man, sometimes mistaken for a child at a distance because he is only around 5' high, thin, wiry with a rat-like face.  After that first encounter, he gains rat powers and changes to be more human rat-like.  Probably used some experimental equipment or potion that he stole from some science place or a magician's home or something.  Or he makes himself a powered costume from the stuff he stole.  Or something.  We can keep it vague.

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Ratman10
Lightning Bullet, a new hero Ratman11
Lightning Bullet, a new hero Ratman12

So I could see him having Clinging, maybe some low level Running, increase hearing & smell and seeing in the dark as well as higher then normal stats and the extra limb of his useful tail. tunneling too.  As Lightning Bullet gets more xp, so does Pack Rat, so he can pop up every 3rd or 4th adventure to plague our Shocking Hero.  He will steal from crooks, heroes with gadgets and normal folks, so he isn't well-liked by the criminal underworld or at least the powered members of the criminal underworld that he has stolen from.

LOL! Just had the wild thought that Pack Rat might come to the hero in one adventure because he stole something from some villain or mob boos who is mad as heck and is going to literally skin him alive so he needs his foe to save his butt. But it would have to be after they clashed a few times before that happens. lol!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Jun 28 2020, 09:07

I like the outfit in the first pic except for the shorts, really like the longer bullet shaped helmet. I would use the pants and the insignia of the second pic.

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Bullet13
Lightning Bullet, a new hero Hasbro11
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 28 2020, 22:25

So is it Nite Raven or Lightning Bullet you want to run? I'm kinda maxed out but seeing as it's you I'll squeeze *one* more character into the campaign...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 00:07

Nite Raven isn't doable as a gadget hero so Lightning Bullet is the one I want to try.  But I don't think we should go with him right away.  I'm sort of half-dissatisfied with Miss Victory.  I like her character and I think I am getting a handle on her personality but I think I've put her into a corner as far as developing as a character.  

I originally had no plans to have her physical stats go above human max but since it is so expensive to raise her Power Reserve any higher, I'm sort of blocked.  I can raise her skills and skin armor but that's about it.  I need to mull over her options for a bit.

So I was thinking of rotating between the two or maybe 3 with Prof. Wynde, so two of the 3 heroes of mine would be active in a story while one wasn't. Not counting the Haunt here as he will always be my number one hero.  After all, I have three story-lines I'm currently involved in and starting a 4th might be too much.

But ... if we want to have an actual player team adventure with all 3 players, maybe the other two would want to try to make a beginning level hero who is part of a 3 man team?  That might be worth another story line.  i happen to like acting with the other players, it slows the action down but the interactions can be fun and really helps me feel like a part of something and let's me see how others see my heroes.  It's why I am really enjoying the Haunt's team-up and now that she finally met Lionhear, Miss Victory's team-up may be just as fun.  Just a thought.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jun 29 2020, 08:57

I like the thought of beginning level heroes and everyone being involved too. The thing is with multiple characters the pacing (which ALWAYS slows the bigger the group you have) is less of a problem - just answer when a reply pops up. I'll put an OOC question in every players thread as the other two may not read these back/forth discussions you and I have been having.

With Miss Victory, she's a brick. Very effective and capable of going toe to toe with some seriously big hitters but she'll always be vulnerable to mind zapping and magic attacks (though her stats are decent basically any mental/mystical attack in the teens will gobble all your HP in last ditch defence). Up to you if you want to get her out of the prison (next issue) and see where we go from there or put her on ice and rotate to a new character.

The Prof Wynde game I find a lot of fun as I'm running half a dozen characters and trying to fill them with personality and something to say as opposed to cardboard cutouts that hit stuff when their turn comes up in combat. They are NPCs however and the PC is the main character which is odd sometimes when an NPC is more powerful but I will always revolve the action/adventure about the PC so power takes a back step.

I do tend to think of Haunt as your core character as he's related in a way to putty, your original character.

It's your call. A more rounded hero instead of Miss V might be preferable and that's no problem. If you want a complete departure I can cook up something to use the DC Heroes (houseruled) ruleset in a fantasy setting. Don't know if that's of interest (i.e. levelling, classes, swords and sorcery, orcs, dragons and dungeon crawls etc).

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 14:02

With Miss Victory, she's a brick. Very effective and capable of going toe to toe with some seriously big hitters but she'll always be vulnerable to mind zapping and magic attacks (though her stats are decent basically any mental/mystical attack in the teens will gobble all your HP in last ditch defense). Up to you if you want to get her out of the prison (next issue) and see where we go from there or put her on ice and rotate to a new character.

Yep, she's a brick but she is a brick with no place to go unless I change my ideas about her. I can raise her mental and mystical stats, I can raise her skills - which do need to be raised, and I can raise her skin armor but that's about it. Five years from now, she will be at her peak and no place to go so all her HP would just go to being used in combats. So I've hit a brickwall with her. [groan! bad pun] scratch

I guess she is kind of like Superman in that way, not much more you can do to improve him or give him new powers or anything. Now Batman, with the changes in technology, is always changing out his old gadgets for new ones. Of course, as you have shown me, gadget rules suck for this game. Hero System, for all it's number crunching, is way friendlier to the idea of gadgets.

So once we get her out of prison, if we don't do a beginner team-up storyline, I would put her on hold to have a go with Electric Bullet. If we do go with a beginner team idea, then I would keep playing her.

Depends on what the others want to do.

But speaking of a beginner team storyline, I think the best way to do this is if we actually start as a team. Fantastic Four, Challengers of the Unknown, X-Men and the Doom Patrol started out as a team. Justice League and Avengers didn't. The big difference between those groups is that the first group started out as unknowns who were put together for one reason or another, some combining reason. The second group started out as well-known heroes who knew about the other heroes and therefore it was easy for them to team-up and keep going as a team after their first adventure.

The FF were friends and family who went through the same event that gave them their powers. The Challengers were the only ones to survive a plane crash, with only bumps and bruises, when everyone should have died in that crash, therefore living on borrowed time and deciding to use that time together. X-Men were all teenage mutants found by Prof. X and joined his school, which is what Kid Kinetic is doing a version of. The Doom Patrol were all people helped by the Chief in the past and summoned by him to help protect humanity.

I'm thinking something simple like college buddies who all vowed to become superheroes some day and if they did, they would form their own team, maybe the Terrific Trio. And it happened. However they got their powers individually and regardless of why they wanted to be superheroes, they got those powers and remembered their promise and formed a team.

Probably each should have a few HPs in reserve when making their characters to combine to pay for a team HQ.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Jun 29 2020, 14:10

If you want a complete departure I can cook up something to use the DC Heroes (houseruled) ruleset in a fantasy setting. Don't know if that's of interest (i.e. levelling, classes, swords and sorcery, orcs, dragons and dungeon crawls etc).

Never really considered that idea but thinking on it, DC has a number of characters that had their own short-run series set in the past with mythical/mystical type stories.

The Silent Knight, the Viking Prince, the Golden Gladiator are three that I can think of off the top of my head.  Though they weren't straight fantasy D&D-type stories.

Lightning Bullet, a new hero 75444910
Lightning Bullet, a new hero 22493610
Lightning Bullet, a new hero Brave_10

Later on in the 80s, they created characters like Arion, last Great Mage of Atlantis and Arak, Son of Thunder - an American Indian who turns out to be a demi-god son of some Indian weather god and adventured in Europe, and then there was Claw the Unconquered.
Claw is a wanderer and a barbarian in an apparently prehistoric age who battles various wizards, thieves, monsters, and warriors who cross his path. Unlike Conan, however, Claw has a deformed, claw-like right hand, the result of a curse which has been placed on his family.

I probably wouldn't be interested in doing a fantasy adventure solo though.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 17:02

Finally got to see the copy of the 3rd edition rules I have on my computer at my office and see that Arch Enemy is a disad worth 15 points. I would like to add that to Electric Bullet with Pack Rat as his enemy. That would make him a 600 HP character even. And give me 73 points to spend if both previous disads are accepted. I could lower my irrational attraction if this makes him too high a starting character.

Let me know what you think when you get time.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:03

Lightning Bullet mk 3.1

Secret ID: Maximillian "Max"  Montague Powers age: mid-20s
occupation: Scientist [mostly living off of earnings from patents]
motivation: Upholding the good
Height: 6' 4"
Weight 200 lbs

Origin:  Max was on a road-trip with his parents the summer after graduating 6th grade.  There was a crash and they went off into a gully filled with water.  Max, who was in the backseat, could not reach his parents to release their seat-belts so that they could get free and get out of the car, due to the way the car was crushed in the crash.  So they died of a combination of their injuries and drowning.  Max, recovering in the hospital from his mostly minor injuries,  kept thinking that only if he had been smaller, he could have reached them and saved them.  This belief if he could be smaller he could have helped his parents drove him through adolescence.  This belief that smaller was better, drove the now taller Max to study science in order to understand miniaturization better.  He had a couple of friends in college who also dreamed of becoming powerful, for one reason or another, and using that power for good.

He has become somewhat well-known in the field of miniaturization, creating a number of patents that he leased out to companies, making him a wealthy man.

Using his newfound wealth and the time it allowed him, he studied the problem and with the aid of a biofeedback device of his own design, inhaling certain gases and transcendental meditation was able to alter his body, shrinking in size and gaining powers undreamt of through the force of his Will.  After mastering this ability, he discovered increased vision powers remained with him all the time and the rest only activated when he shrunk his body to whatever size he choose.  Creating a costume that he keeps shrunk in a plain ring on his finger, he became the hero known as the Electric Bullet.

dex  7 str  4 body  6 = 110
                                                          = 206

POWERS
2 Directional hearing bc 5 + fc 3-1^^ = 7
4 Flash bc 20 + fc 4-1^^ = 29
6 FLIGHT BC 10 + FC 2-1^^ = 16  
6 Lightning bc 15 + fc 3-2 [no range limitation/touch & ^^] = 21
2 Regeneration bc 25 + fc 8-1^^ = 32
6 Sealed Systems bc 5 + fc 6-2-1^^ = 23 body *L
6 Systemic Antidote bc 5 + fc 5-2-1^^ = 17 body *L
4 Telescopic Vision bc 5 + fc 1 = 9

*L = Linked
-1^^=works only while shrunk at least 1 AP, so only in Hero ID

Wealth 9 = 24 [earnings from patents]
                                                      =  230

SKILLS
2 Acrobatics bc 15 + fc 7 = 22
2 detective bc 10 + fc 7 = 17
2 Martial Arts bc 25 + fc 6 = 31
2  medicine bc 5 + fc 6 = 11
3 Scientist bc 10 + fc 5 = 20
2 thief bc 10 + fc 8 = 18
                                           = 119

Advantages
Popularity 20 seen as "cute or cuddly or dolly or robot r/c action figure" by women and children when in smaller size [3 APs or more of shrinking], men tend to see him as useful "Hey, use that electricity to jump-start my car!"
Sharp Eye 15 -1 column perception checks
Insta-Change  5
Expansive HQ [price shared by others] 15
                                                            = 55  **depends on how many help pay for HQ, 3 heroes= 5 pts each, 2 heroes= 7 or 8 pts each, alone 15 pts

total cost 610**   495 start points + 115= 610

Disads                                                          =115 pts
Arch Enemy - Pack Rat 15
Irrational Attraction - serious  25  for things that are smaller than normal such as miniature horses, Chihuahuas, ships in bottles, flea circuses, etc.
Secret ID 10
Traumatic Flashback 60 - Has flashbacks when someone needs help and small size is needed, such as being stuck down a narrow well.
Misc Disad 5 Hates being tall - 6'4" - so slumps when not in Hero ID with at least one level of shrink on.

Arch Enemy - Pack Rat
Pack Rat is basically a hoarder, except he hoards other people's stuff - jewels, money, collections of whatever, art, weird weapons, things of sentimental value but not real monetary value, etc.  His hideouts are always some out of the way place where he keeps the stuff he steals, he rarely sells any of it, though he will use it if he thinks it is to his advantage.  Pack Rat robs Max's home and steals his collection of ships in bottles, which brings Lightning Bullet to the case, in what was one of his very first cases.

Pack Rat is a small man, sometimes mistaken for a child at a distance because he is only around 5' high, thin, wiry with a rat-like face.  After that first encounter as a mostly skilled burglar, he gains powers, equipment and/or abilities.  He starts out with equipment and then a power suit and then powers as he goes up in levels.  We can keep it vague how he gets his eventual powers - magic potion?  Science power formula he drank or shot into himself?  Hit by strange rays?  Makes a deal with a demon for powers?  Magic Ring?

I see him having Clinging, maybe some low level Running and jumping, increased hearing & smell and seeing in the dark as well as higher than normal stats and the extra limb of his useful tail. Tunneling too.  Also some kind of minor Stretching or shapeshifting as rats are known for being able to squeeze through areas that you wouldn't think that they are capable of.   He will steal from crooks, heroes with gadgets and normal folks, whoever has something he wants, so he isn't well-liked by the criminal underworld or at least the powered members of the criminal underworld that he has stolen from.

He hates Electric Bullet because he was the one who caught him and took away all his precious [My Precious!] stuff and gave it to the police.

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:12; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:08

Finally got my hands on 3rd edition with its changes and time on my hands. Also discovered some math errors. So Electric Bullet Mark 3.1 is above. I think he is versatile, not very powerful but has potential to be one of the best in a few years time. Razz

Double check my math please.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:26

Lightning Bullet, a new hero LB-draft-v3

Look it over see if I missed anything or mistyped but with the Background (15HP) Personality (15HP) and Description (15HP) you might scrape through with 11HP spare.

Edit found a typo (flash 4 instead of 1) you might scrape 4HP left if you come up with background/Personality/Description and that's assuming you pay for the HQ so possibly another 10HP to come

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:33

I'm kind of hoping one or both of the other players would want to join in a beginning team and we can split the cost of the expansive HQ between us.
And with Shrinking of 5, I'm the size of a cat!    cat

I almost maxed out my irrational attraction because it seemed fun to do so but I think that bad an attraction would lead to him becoming a villain, cause there is no way he wouldn't try to take it home with him.     geek

Last edited by DavidMcMahon on Tue Jul 14 2020, 15:23; edited 1 time in total
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jun 30 2020, 23:41

Shouldn't Flight be 16 instead of 22?
Sealed Systems 23 instead of 17?
Systemic Antidote 17 instead of 11?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 01 2020, 08:57

Lightning Bullet, a new hero Fc-chart

Flight BC10 FC3 -1 for power limitation
Sealed Systems BC5 FC5 Linked to Body -1 for power limitation (-3 total FC so FC2)
Systemic Antidote BC5 FC4 -1 for power limitation Linked to Body (-3 total FC so FC1)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jul 01 2020, 11:40

Flight BC10 FC3 -1 for power limitation
Sealed Systems BC5 FC5 Linked to Body -1 for power limitation (-3 total FC so FC2)
Systemic Antidote BC5 FC4 -1 for power limitation Linked to Body (-3 total FC so FC1)

Ah Hah!  
My 2nd edition rules has Flight at FC2
Sealed System as FC 6
and
Systemic Antidote as FC 5

So I guess they changed in 3d edition.  There lies my confusion.
Thanks
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 01 2020, 22:00

I think the costs on certain stuff were tweaked from 2e to 3e. 3e (and Blood of Heroes) were tweaks on what was (for me) probably the best RPG I ever bought! When I get chance (not this week judging by how work is kicking my butt) I will ask the others if they fancy a street level game. Kid Kinetic is actually built on 450HP just as a matter of interest...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jul 01 2020, 22:31

Yeah I knew he started at that level but since he has his own X-Men type team, didn't think he would want that character for a group adventure without them.

Kind of excited about Pack Rat as an arch enemy.  Saladin has been about the only arch enemy any of our current characters have had that I know about.  Pack Rat is a totally different kind of foe, he isn't out to take over the world like Saladin seems to be.  He is a pain in the ass villain who steals stuff because he wants to collect it and keep it.  

And he doesn't care who he steals from including other villains.  That's about the only thing that drives him besides that is getting back at and totally humiliating Electric Bullet since he was the first one to ever catch him and took all his stuff away from.  Granted, the stuff he took away from Pack Rat went to the police evidence locker for his trial and then back to the owners that could be found, not to Electric Bullet himself, but that doesn't matter to Pack Rat.  And if he can find stuff to steal from Electric Bullet, so much the better for his revenge.  

OH!  I can just see him watching Electric Bullet fight some super-villain who trying to get away with some loot. Pack Rat swoops in at the proper time, swiping the loot from them both and thanking Electric Bullet for his help as he runs away, leaving EB to decide which villain he needs to concentrate on!     lol!

He is kind of like the Flash's Rogues Gallery.  They like challenging/fighting the Flash and putting him into fancy death traps that they totally, deep down inside, expect him to get out of.  

Or the old character the Prankster.  He was one of the Big Three foes Superman constantly faced in the post war 1940s.  Luthor and Toyman being the other two.  He loved pulling pranks on Superman and using those pranks in his robberies.  He knew, unlike Lex, that he could never destroy Superman, humiliating him while getting away with his swag was his joy.  

Too bad he and Toyman have faded into history, though Toyman has had a few upgrades or revivals over the years, usually not for the better if you ask me.  Prankster only had one upgrade that I know of and I think it was when John Byrne took over the titles right after Crisis.  Not a great upgrade, he was meaner and not funny at all.

Those 3 even teamed up against Superman at least once, the story was reprinted in the Superman from the 30s to the 70s book.

Amazon
Superman: From the 30's to the 70's Hardcover – January 1, 1975
by E. Nelson Bridwell (Author)
5.0 out of 5 stars 1 rating
See all formats and editions

Hardcover
$8.33
10 Used from $8.33 1 New from $192.96 1 Collectible from $42.71

Well worth the price if you can get it under $50.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jul 14 2020, 15:26

So it looks like I need to knock off 6 points to get him to balance out?  Is that right?  

Of course, if we three could each pay 5 points for the Expansive HQ, I could save 10 points.  pig

An EHQ is described as huge, well-hidden, like the Bat Cave.  So it doesn't have a public address like the Baxter Building for the Fantastic Four or Stark Mansion for the Avengers.  Maybe that would be a -1 disad cost if it was public?  Let's see:

wiki
The Justice League operated from a secret cave outside of the small town of Happy Harbor, Rhode Island. A teenager named Lucas "Snapper" Carr tagged along on missions, becoming both the team's mascot and an official member.

In need of a new secure headquarters, the Justice League moved into an orbiting satellite headquarters in Justice League of America #78 (February 1970).
--------------------------
Then they had a secret HQ in Detroit for a few years.
Then they have the very visible Hall of Justice which seems to be in or near DC.

Doom Patrol had the Chief's mansion that no one realized was their HQ.

The JSA had a brownstone for a HQ in the 40s but it seemed folks knew that it was their HQ as they got mail there and were attacked there at least once in the golden age.

X-Men has Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters as a HQ.  Originally, it was a secret HQ but more and more people seem to know about it now.

The MMORPG The DC Universe Online, you can get a base for your team on the Moon or underwater.  

Blue Beetle/Ted Kord had a EHQ under his main plant/office complex in Chicago for his electronics company, accessed by a secret elevator in his office, if memory serves.  With a hidden exit out to the lake so the Beetle's Bug could come and go without being spotted.

Green Arrow had the Arrowcave before he lost his millions and move away.

The Spirit has a crypt with a secret base under it.

OH!  Forgot, Dr. Strange's home is a secret to most folks.  

And Dr. Fate had an invisible/intangible tower in Salem, Mass.

And Superman's Fortress of Solitude, which was stolen directly from Doc Savage, including the Arctic location.

So secret bases seem to be pretty popular for some heroes.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum