The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3

2 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3

Post  Admin Sun May 15 2016, 07:17

Lionheart heard Saladins' constant voice in his head, chattering away and suggesting ways in which to focus his mind in ways he's not dreamed of.

In many ways even his recently enhanced power levels had been simply a 'learning mode' for the current state he found himself in. When Saladin mentioned that he could probably levitate every truck in the parking lot - dozens of them - with his mind and bring them down on this fellow - he knew that with great power came a great need to keep it in check. Overkill would get others killed or injured and make him no better than those he sought to stop!

His instincts had told him one thing already - this guy could have used extreme force on the truck driver already. Instead he'd tried something else - Lionheart wasn't quite sure what given his unfamiliarity with magic - so he in turn tried something subtle. With a glance at a pan of boiling water, another at the area immediately behind the man with the glowing eyes, he made a split second decision and flung the pan across the room!

OOC You can use Power Reserve to boost Telekinesis from 7 to 19 (!) hence the picking up of dozens of trucks (25,000 tons of carry capacity with your mind!) but that would definitely stand you out on the radar! instead say, 11APs should do the trick so boost from 7 to 11.

Roll(2d10)+0: 2,1,+0 Total:3

OH! Well that was a turn up for the books...

Lionheart gasped in pain! He reached for his nose, feeling the telltale drip of blood and the pulsing pain behind his eyes told him he'd not escaped the side effect he suffered from before! 'Too much too soon' laughed Saladin, though it seemed the former enemy was frustrated as well as his tutelage didn't help in this situation!

OOC Lionheart has lost the following powers for 1 hour:

Analytical Smell
Danger Sense
Empathy
Mind Blast
Mind Probe
Postcognition

He also suffers an attack on his Body/Mind/Spirit against their current values (which are full already). So Body (13 + roll 5,8,+0 (26) vs TN11+13 (24) +2 effect. 15 vs 13 = 2 BODY DAMAGE), Mind (13 + Roll 3,3,+0 + 3,9,+0 (31) vs TN11 + 13 (24) = +4 Effect. 17 vs 13 = 4 MIND DAMAGE), Spirit (10+9,10,+0 (29) vs 10 + TN11 (21) = +4. 14 vs 10 = 4 SPIRIT DAMAGE)

LIONHEART CURRENT VALUES:

BODY 11/13
MIND 9/13
SPIRIT 6/10

The man with the glowing eyes looked over Richard King, noting the mans discomfort, nose bleed and look like he had a splitting migraine.

"Ah... my apologies sir. It seems my attempt to settle this in a non violent fashion has backfired." he turned to the police who'd drawn their guns on him. "Officers, I can assure you that if you were to fire those weapons, someone other than I would be harmed by a protective field around my body that would repulse your attack."

The Police looked uncertain their weapons having been proven useless in the past against metahumans. The fellow with the glowing eyes walked to the Truck Driver and looked him in the eye. "I assure you, I am only after your cargo. The people who paid you are insured, as are their client. Suffice to say I seek to harm neither them nor the chain above it, but the ultimate head of the tree himself, Frederick Timpson. I have no quarrel with anyone else, but if you slow me down or attempt to stop me, I shall restrain you."

Lionheart pulsed a message through the screen of pain in his head to Thunder Woman...

He knew he'd contacted her because of the feeling of frustration he felt momentarily from her mind! He looked back at this guy. Timpson seemed on the outside to be one of the good guys, but Lionheart knew different - he was power crazed, manipulative, his ambition near limitless! Possibly only a nudge from one side of the coin to the other, so what side did that leave this guy on?

Just then a crash came from outside! With the police guns still trained on him the man with the glowing eyes shouted "EVERYONE! GET DOWN!"

That's when a Semi Articulated lorry came flying through the air towards the diner and everyone in it!

OOC But Lionheart gets to act first, in his headache stricken state! Those powers listed above you can't use, everything else is available. Aside from the damage he took, he's fine to act. That weakness replaced the old one so a roll of 2-5 will knock out that list of powers and cause him an injury, but is a small price to pay for the power levels he currently has. Using his power reserve to boost stuff, his speed, strength, durability, combat ability... everything is off the chart compared with before, but there's no 'free ride' and that low roll proves it! Over to you!

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Empty Re: The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun May 15 2016, 20:32

Admin wrote:OOC But Lionheart gets to act first, in his headache stricken state! Those powers listed above you can't use, everything else is available. Aside from the damage he took, he's fine to act. That weakness replaced the old one so a roll of 2-5 will knock out that list of powers and cause him an injury, but is a small price to pay for the power levels he currently has. Using his power reserve to boost stuff, his speed, strength, durability, combat ability... everything is off the chart compared with before, but there's no 'free ride' and that low roll proves it! Over to you!

Lionheart didn't think it was time to waste time. Although he could have waited to see what the Magical wielding friend could do, there seemed little point with playing with the innocent lives of people, who through no fault of their own have strayed into another meta human bust up!

OOC:Ok option 1 I boost up speed and like Quicksilver in Avengers:Age of Ultron, get everyone out of the way. Or option two I just go blast thing thing into smithereens. I have to say I prefer option 1, but I guess it depends on how feasible such an action is. In any case option 2 still leaves me trying to protect the innocent, so needless to say its not my fav option here.

OK with that taken care off, next thing - is who is throwing such things around? What sort of attention have we drawn now?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 18 2016, 17:13

Moving with astonishing speed, despite the creasing pain behind his eyes, Lionheart though about performing one of the worlds fastest evacuations!

OOC A roll simply to see how things turn out - with 22 Superspeed he's not Flash fast but he's not that far off, plus he can lift 200 tons without breaking a sweat, however the easiest thing to do is...

He glanced at those gathered, their heads moving in slow motion as they saw the huge Semi come hurtling towards them, and with it instant doom! Lionheart noted that the Magic Man was already incanting, and some kind of shimmering energy was forming between his hands...

Then the British hero was off, outside and catching the Semi-truck with his mind as opposed to with his hands!

OOC Telekinesis with power reserve makes this easy. Roll(2d10)+0: 5,4,+0 Total:9 No problems with 19 Telekinesis.

The truck stopped in mid air, then soared over to an empty parking space where it landed gently to the floor!

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Spartans

Lionheart saw three Greek style warriors in front of him and a further six gathered around a particular truck (with no outward markings to suggest it was owned or operated by Timpson Industries). The three had been the ones to toss the lorry and were clearly unimpressed that it'd missed the target!

They began to converse - in Greek - until one shouted a challenge and waved a spear at Lionheart!

The Magic Man from the diner ran outside and Lionheart glanced over his shoulder at him. Would he be friend, or foe?

"Xenophonians. Mediterranean mercenaries who fight for the highest bidder! Some of them have a code of honour, others kill indiscriminately! Clearly they want that truck and what is in it, but the question, stranger, is what do YOU want?" he asked of Lionheart. He was on his guard but added "Good catch by the way. My plan was to create a force field over the diner, but your way had the fellows truck intact, albeit parked in a different spot. Bravo."

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Tables_draft_v2_higher_resThe New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Combat-Maneuver-stuff
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu May 19 2016, 07:36

Admin wrote:"Xenophonians. Mediterranean mercenaries who fight for the highest bidder! Some of them have a code of honour, others kill indiscriminately! Clearly they want that truck and what is in it, but the question, stranger, is what do YOU want?" he asked of Lionheart. He was on his guard but added "Good catch by the way. My plan was to create a force field over the diner, but your way had the fellows truck intact, albeit parked in a different spot. Bravo."

"I'm tempted to ask you the same thing..." Lionheart said a side glance at the fellow. "Its clear your not the rune of the mill villain that I might have taken you for. Your desire to protect and not fight is admirable. And Bravo! Are you British? No one in America says Bravo...I hope that isn't your battle cry because if it is these guys are going to fall about laughing."

Lionheart could see that the initial shock was wearing off their antagonists and it would be soon time to act, "Right I think we can both agree that whatever happens these guys getting their way here today is going to be very bad. So lets deal with our common enemy first and then we can sort out what's what next. Agreed?"

And with that Lionheart got ready to attack.

OOC: Ok despite ringing headache that no pills could dull, is there a way to tell the cops to get everyone out of the diner before things go coput, with my Telepathy. I don't want to fry their brains just not have to divide my time between protecting the innocent and being pummelled by Jason and the Argonots! As for strategy, I'm sort of waiting on them to make the first move. I don't want to rush in, esp since I've had this backfire in the brain, so will act defensively for this moment and then see what is what next.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 23 2016, 22:03

The magician raised an eyebrow "I was educated there, picked up a few habits, good and bad. I can tell you're a native, though your accent is harder to place..."

He turned, as did Lionheart, when the group of six gathered around one of the trucks started to attack it with their weapons, carving metal up as if it were paper!

The three who'd thrown the truck glanced at one another then charged!

Spellslinger turned to Lionheart "If they get what I think is in that truck, it will be a bad, bad thing!"

Lionheart, for his part, pulsed to the cops in the diner (OOC Thought a check was needed but it's automatic, with every extra character connected reducing the range.) They started in alarm but their shock soon wore off. in this modern day and age of gods and marvels walking among ordinary people, it didn't benefit anyone to stand about whilst they were in mortal peril! Besides, the policemen had probably experienced how woefully outgunned they were with ordinary firearms against super powers!

"Everybody out!" shouted the cops, ushering people towards the back of the diner!

The three Xenophonians attacked!

OOC Phew, the pictures returned. They were gone for a day or two but I can take the hint and will download/store all the important stuff in one place. So, from left to right, we have spearman 1, swordman and spearman 2.

Spearman 1 brandishes his spear, aims... and unleashes an energy bolt at Lionheart!

Energy blast 14 vs Dex 14 (with power reserve moved to Force Field to bump it to 20, RV33). Roll(2d10)+0: 2,3,+0 Total:5 MISSED

the blast punches a hole in the wall behind Lionheart as he casually steps aside, taking a millisecond or two to ensure no one was in the firing line. Had they been, he hoped his new, improved force field would have been enough to help him stop the blast!

The sword wielder stabs at the floor... and seems to unleash a localised earthquake!!!

OOC Earth Control 10 to create a rent in the ground... Roll(2d10)+0: 9,3,+0 Total:12 Success.

The ground shakes... and the diner falls into a sudden hole in the floor! The roof splits in half as the diner crumbles away, and Lionheart and the magic wielding fellow are left floating in the air with dust rising around them as both possess the power of flight! The magic man dusts debris from his hair and shoulders and risks a glance at Lionheart, who doesn't have a speck on him. "Hmmm, impressive, old chap." he mutters.

The last, another spear wielder, expresses his disgust at his companions, then sprints, leaping through the air to scythe his spear at Lionheart!

OOC He is a Grand Master with weapons... Roll(6d10)+0: 1,3,1,4,10,2,+0 Total:14 And that with 6D10, was an awful roll! Dex 9 + 14 (23) vs TN11+Dex14 (25). MISS!

Lionheart simply turns to the side as the fellow lands, having theatrically whirled and spun his spear before thrusting out - and missing - Lionheart!

"By Poseidons beard!" splutters the fellow, in accented English. "This man has the speed of Hermes!"

"My name..." said the magician floating next to Lionheart "...is Spellslinger. Shall I show you why?"

He gestured, muttered something in an ancient forgotten tongue, and the world seemed to 'warp' and 'pop' around his hand!

OOC Magic blast 10 plus roll Roll(2d10)+0: 10,9,+0 Total:19 (29) vs TN11+infl 8(19). Hit +4 Effect. 14 EV vs 9RV=5 damage.

The spear wielder screams out as he lights up like a beacon, but Spellslinger seems disturbed. "That... should have flattened him." he glanced at his hand, looking at the finger tips. "Is this thing on?"

"YOU THINK ONE MERE MAGICK SPELL WILL LAY DOWN A SON OF XENOPHON, CHARLATAN? HA! WE HAVE CROSSED THE STYX TO DO BATTLE WITH THE FALSE GODS OF THIS MODERN WORLD, AND ARE IMMORTAL! STRIKE US DOWN? WE BECOME MORE!"

"Powerful?" queried Spellslinger, sounding somewhat unimpressed. "If I struck you down 50 times I still fear you'd be no match for the fellow beside me." he laughed. "Speaking of which, perhaps you should demonstrate ... something." he asked of Lionheart.

OOC next round, Lionheart goes first... The diner is totalled but everyone got out (just!)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue May 24 2016, 08:00

Admin wrote:"Powerful?" queried Spellslinger, sounding somewhat unimpressed. "If I struck you down 50 times I still fear you'd be no match for the fellow beside me." he laughed. "Speaking of which, perhaps you should demonstrate ... something." he asked of Lionheart.

OOC next round, Lionheart goes first... The diner is totalled but everyone got out (just!)

"Magic, I think I am getting to hate this field, present company accepted...!" Lionheart said between gritted teeth, demi gods, mythology come to life what next?

He could see that his enemies were formidable in terms of their strength, and prowess, so instinctively he wanted to use...oh wait, the burn out he'd suffered meant that his mental powers were hampered, the thumping headache testimony to that. So that left the down and dirty, hand to hand version of events.

Since the main threat came from those attacking the lorry, Lionheart directed his attention that way. "Time to earn a living..."

OOC:Ok so use superspeed to cut over to the three warriors and use area attack martial arts to attack each of them. I'll put Hp as needed into attack, as I want to make sure that the hit I take for hitting more than one foe is offset to avoid making this an omni shambles.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun May 29 2016, 22:58

OOC Using Martials arts 14APs means you really don't need to put any HP into the attack. At all. You will be rolling SEVEN dice for the attack. An 8th will cost a fortune (76HP!!!) i.e. not worth it.

Multi Attack on three Xenophonians, Superspeed 22 plus Roll(7d10)+0: 4,3,7,5,8,5,10,+0 Total:10 DOUBLE ok not great but follow up Roll(2d10)+0: 10,6,+0 Total:16 better. One of those where it's a close call between taking the high roll (18) or the double (10) and crossing fingers to get a decent follow up.

SS22+Roll 26 (48) vs TN11 + Multi Attack +4 + Dex 9 (24) = +7 Effect. 20EV vs RV11 + Multi Attack 4 (15) = 5 damage on each.

The Warriors have 9 Body each (and 2 Skin Armour) and Dex 9. All of these three have 4 Body remaining and ...

With blurring speed Lionheart delivers mighty, accurate blows that send the Xenophonians spinning around 100' through hthe air to land beyond the rooftops of the buildings across the street!

That gets the attention of the others who look at one another. One shouts something in Greek and the six of them turn from the vehicle they are tearing at and shout a greek word in unison! Fromm out of a clear sky lightning lances down to strike each of the six, and with a roar they cry out!

There is another bright flash... and all of a sudden the six are gone... in their place stands a bronze warrior some twenty five feet tall! It looks like the Xenophonians but obviously made of creaking metal! What's more is it moves far faster and with greater agility than something its size should be doing! It twirls its enormous sword with breathtaking skill, then takes big strides across the street!

Spellslinger takes to the air and makes a gesture. "Don't know how effective this spell will be!" he shouts above the clanging footsteps!

OOC Matter Manipulation 11 vs Body 15. Roll(2d10)+0: 10,2,+0 Total:12+11 (23) vs TN11+15 (26) Failed

"Ack!" he cried. "Without my spellbook and proper preparation my magick is limited!"

Lionheart grimaced. Clearly this fellows heart was in the right place but his ability was outweighed by his enthusiasm! This giant needed taking down before it caused serious damage!

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Talos

OOC Lionheart is up again...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon May 30 2016, 13:57

Admin wrote: OOC Lionheart is up again...

OOC: Now if I remember correctly I was able to take out some other robots of death when I was with War Tiger trying to rescue Timmy. Is it possible to do something similar here, given my list of limitations due to power burn out? If so I will go for a flurry of attacks trying to gain a weak point to smash this thing into a thousand fragments, before it does any greater harm. Again I am going for its weak points, something that will render it unstable or impotent in some such a manner.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jun 04 2016, 23:57

OOC Probably a critical attack (harder to hit) or devastating attack (very hard to hit) will do the job. You reduce the chances of hitting but effectively reduce the armour/protection of the target in order to do more damage if you strike.

So, quick choice, Critical Blow (harder) or Devastating Attack (much harder to hit). With Martial Artist there is no point spending Hero Points so don't worry about that. Just make the quick choice and I will update Sunday after I've seen the choice you make.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 05 2016, 08:55

Admin wrote:OOC Probably a critical attack (harder to hit) or devastating attack (very hard to hit) will do the job. You reduce the chances of hitting but effectively reduce the armour/protection of the target in order to do more damage if you strike.

So, quick choice, Critical Blow (harder) or Devastating Attack (much harder to hit). With Martial Artist there is no point spending Hero Points so don't worry about that. Just make the quick choice and I will update Sunday after I've seen the choice you make.

Critical attack please Paul. Hope the TT races are going well, I realise that they are fun to watch but my impression is one of lots of crashes. It sort of reminds me of how F1 used to be. But I imagine my understanding is based off ignorance more than anything.

Anyway thanks for keeping us posted, especially with being away. I'm back now, so should be easier to keep things going my end as well.

Thanks

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 12 2016, 18:45

OOC Apologies for leaving you hanging - combination of being out on the bike last week and having literally no time to myself to sit down and type meant I was entertained but frustrated too. Got back in the early hours of yesterday morning and grabbed a few hours sleep before going to sort the kids out, which has continued today. So, finally...

Lionheart Martial Artist (gives +5 dice) plus Roll(7d10)+0: 1,6,1,7,1,9,4,+0 Total:16 + Dex 14 (30) vs Dex 9 + TN11 + Critical Blow (+4) (24) = hit +3 Effect. Power Reserve to Str (25) + 3 Effect (28) vs RV17 - 6 (Critical Blow) (11) = 17 Damage.

Lionheart unleashes a flurry of blows too fast for the eye to follow to the giants legs and mid riff, each delivered with the steel crushing power of his full, enhanced (OOC Same as Superman...) strength!

The Giant, despite being the combined group of superhuman warriors, staggered, reels and then totters backwards!

Lionheart is quick to seize an arm, lift the giant and steer its fall into an empty car lot! With a CLANG it... splits into the half dozen warriors it was only moments before! They are lying in separate places, unconscious and the remaining group suddenly takes notice.

The magician on Lionhearts side shouts "I sense magic! They are about to..."

VANISH!

The Spartan style warriors disappear in a blinding flash of light, leaving the inhabitants of the town to peer from behind park cars, half closed doors and from behind walls as the dust settles. Thunder Woman, across the other side of the street, arms laden with shopping bags, tuts and rolls her eyes but otherwise seems to want to stay low key.

The man who'd been helping Lionheart turns. "You, sir, are a hero! I have seen power on your scale only several times, and I recognise you not, but know that I would be proud to call you friend! Who are you?"

Lionheart (OOC Oops, this may be my fault, but it won't end too badly...) considered that he'd used his maximum power for a fraction of a second and wondered if it would have ramifications. He'd needed it to ensure the best chance of the giant going down, and in truth it was the first time he'd fully lashed out with his full unfettered might!

'Impressive' grunted Saladin inside him. 'You combine incredible agility, matchless skill and unfettered strength near without limit in a fine fashion. Let them come! Your power far outweighs anything initially intended by the PSI Corps program. You are the ultimate evolution of superhu...'

"HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!" shouts a cop behind Lionheart, pointing his gun.

Without his danger sense Lionheart couldn't tell if he was in danger, but figured a standard police issue handgun wouldn't even trigger it. He glanced into the sky and saw a tiny, distant gleam of silver against the sunlit sky, something someone else would have missed. They must have been alerted by the gathering of the superhuman mercenaries, but Lionheart figured this place was about to become a superhuman hotspot on the map with more incoming! The question was, were they friend or foe? He turned back to the semi-truck and saw its sides, battered though they were, seemed to have withstood a fair amount of punishment - armoured somehow? What was inside that was so important that mercenaries would half flatten a town to get at it?

OOC Arggh. I was typing away then CRACK! Checked fused in the laptop plug, it's fine, so think it's the power supply. Fix one thing and another goes pop. Oh well. Have several other laptops to call on when this one goes flat.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Jun 13 2016, 08:17

Admin wrote:OOC Arggh. I was typing away then CRACK! Checked fused in the laptop plug, it's fine, so think it's the power supply. Fix one thing and another goes pop. Oh well. Have several other laptops to call on when this one goes flat.

OOC:When it comes to computer stuff, or anything mechanical it seems to fail or fall out on you mate. No wonder you've had to learn how to be a dab hand with fixing things.

Almost ignoring the threatening stance of the police officer, Lionheart nonchalantly said to the mage, "Intros will have to wait for another time. I'm not normally kicking about in these parts, but I've friends in trouble and are going a rather unorthodox route to help them...because. Well just because... Anyway I've got somewhere I need to be, and judging by the incoming so might you need to be. I think it best we split up and perhaps we'll have the pleasure of proper intros then. By for now."

Then turning to the Policeman, with a rather resigned look, Lionheart moved forward placing his hands on his head and allowing the officer to lower his gun, before he speed off so quick it would take everyone a moment to realise he wasn't even there. A quick stop to look over the lorry, and a pause to write a note hastily put it in one of the bags Thunder Woman was holding and he was gone...hopefully avoiding further entanglement.

OOC:OK so speed up to do what needs to be done before going, slowing to make the signal again and then returning by a roundabout route. My note to Thunder Woman will suggest a place and time to meet, given that we've been rumbled and my look over the lorry, will be to try and ascertain anything worth noting without showing too much interest.

I'm intrigued by our magic friend and hope we get to meet him again, didn't even get a name...

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 14 2016, 23:49

Stood in the shadows of a building as the magician spluttered his way through an explanation to the police officer, Lionheart turned to see Thunder Woman turn up at the end of the alley, with shopping bags and hastily written note in hand...

"You seem to attract trouble like a magnet!" she hissed. Looking into the sky she pointed at the gleaming vessel that approached at speed. "The Ultrahumans. At least it's not the most powerful members. They'd be here already, under their own steam." She looked at the flattened diner and pounded truck. "Something in there that we should be interested in?"

Lionheart tipped his head to the side and listened in with his Telepathy (OOC No extended hearing, may need to alter one of his hearing powers to that which is more useful than Directional Hearing - not that useful, or Super Hearing - even less so. Not sure why we ditched Extended hearing which allows you to hear distant sounds as if they were close. Directional allows you to pinpoint to the location of a sound and super hearing allows you to hear radio signals, dog whistles and so on)

"...need to get this delivered. I'm on a deadline! I don't know who those lunatics were, but the people I work for told me I need to get this truck to the Timpson testing facility in the desert. I don't even know what kind of damage they've done to the trailer! I gotta make some calls..." said the Truck Driver who scratched his head and stood next to the police officer. Lionheart couldn't hear his words, exactly, but could inside his mind. Had one of his powers gone somewhat haywire? So much had changed lately he couldn't be sure, but the driver worked for a haulage firm who'd contracted to deliver vital parts to Timpsons lab. It was heading to where Lionheart was going, and had already been attacked. Whatever was in there was clearly worth starting a battle for.

Thunder Woman nudged him. "We need to get out of here. The Ultrahumans might have people who could detect us."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jun 15 2016, 07:58

Admin wrote:Thunder Woman nudged him. "We need to get out of here. The Ultrahumans might have people who could detect us."

Lionheart nodded, then quickly explained what he had overheard. "That lorry is my ticket to Timpson. It's my opportunity at some sort of audition, whereby I might finally be able to get the White Dwarf material we need to rescue my friends. And, I might add, finally leave you to the quiet life I've rather rudely interrupted."

Lionheart added the last comment with a broad knowing wink. There was no easy way to track the lorry, without being closer, yet as Thunder woman had pointed out, being too close might bring them only more trouble. They had to get out of 'Dodge' and quickly, hoping that the supers wouldn't feel the need to hang about so they could return and work out where to go from here.

OOC: Right so, we leave and get away post haste to avoid escalating things further. But then circle back when appropriate. I realise that the freight may yet leave in the meantime, but I am hoping that we'd be able to work out an approximate trajectory, given where we are and the likelihood of where the truck is going. Having said that of course so could whoever was after the contents, and Timpson would know this. It might just get a lot more complicated from here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 21 2016, 00:08

Thunder Woman considered the words, then nodded. "Using our powers at the moment would attract attention. Some are on 'all the time' but that is the state of the Union in the 21st century after the 'Civil War' that erupted over in Britain and spilled over here. Accountability and lack of privacy are the price of freedom to help our fellow man. And woman." she added.

The pair moved quickly, quietly to the edge of town, walking rather than running and hearing all manner of sirens approaching from several directions. The silver skinned jet landed near the battle zone.

Trying his best to watch the scene from afar, Lionheart climbed using only his skills and inhuman agility to the top of a building whilst Thunder Woman risked a jump. As she said, those 'all the time' powers would light up the scanners like a christmas tree but her strength, like Lionhearts, was on such a vast scale that a tiny use of it would barely register. or so the pair hoped.

So they watched.

The Ultrahumans wore all silver, and were men and women of various shapes and sizes, half a dozen of them. One particularly hulking fellow stood at over 7' tall and about as wide. The jet visibly shuddered when he stepped from it! A woman looked about, taking in the scene, then closed her eyes. Lionheart, even without his danger sense, got a bad feeling about that one.

"They've changed their uniforms, lost most of their individuality" muttered Thunder Woman beside Lionheart as they watched from a roof. She could only see tiny figures whilst Lionheart could see as if he were stood next to them! "That said, it makes it harder to identify them, save for the symbol they wear on their arm and belt buckle. The one on their chest is standard Ultrahuman insignia."

Just then Lionheart felt it. A tickle, against his shields. A light probe. He was powerful enough to shape his shields so that the probe slid off rather than being outright repulsed. Even so...

He saw him then. one of the Ultrahumans with an enlarged forehead, finger to it and looking around. mentalist, of some power, but it would be hard to tell just how powerful without a confrontation. At this range, he was simply scanning for specific life forms, namely superhumans. His problem would be that Lionhearts shields would make his scan near pointless and... he glanced at Thunder Woman.

"What?" she asked.

Uh oh.

He glanced back. The man with the forehead had turned to someone else and was saying something. That fellow, a hairy looking squat, muscled fellow who seemed to make the silver chrome like suit seem dirty and tarnished when stood next to the rest, sniffed the air and the ground. Lionheart noted his eyes were catlike, and the way he roamed around the battle site?

A tracker of some kind.

They could stick around, see what happened, or do something else, but even at this distance, a half mile away, Lionheart knew he was dealing with supers of a level above most common or garden metahumans.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jun 21 2016, 08:08

Admin wrote:A tracker of some kind.

They could stick around, see what happened, or do something else, but even at this distance, a half mile away, Lionheart knew he was dealing with supers of a level above most common or garden metahumans.

" Time to go...they've caught our scent!"

Lionheart said with an earnest appeal in his voice. It was possible of course that the tracker had got the mage, and not him. But frankly with all the running around he had done, it was hard to believe things could go that way. Beside he'd stuck around the others had bugged out, so best be moving themselves.

knowing that their 'on' powers could easily make it easier to be missed, Lionheart outlined a simple plan to evade being followed and suggested they move quickly.

OOC:Ok so if Thunder Woman can jump without it registering, I suggest we move away, as best we can. First over the roof tops and then when we're sufficiently far away not to draw attention. Hulk like have Thunder Woman, jump as far as she can. That way we can only hope the trail goes cold between jumps sufficient for our tracker to fail to keep up. That and if we can find water, we'll go that was to.

Meanwhile we need a plan to try and get to Timpson. As in without further attention because things are only going to get hotter. I see that from what you've described it sounds like American Heroes have become part of the hammer, of a increased totalitarian state, by the looks of things where meta humans are concerned.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jun 26 2016, 20:45

OOC Sorry about the slowdown! Head is spinning at minute. Am sure you understand, but it's tricky getting my head in gear with all that's gone on! That said I need this game - it's like a moment of sanity and clarity with all the craziness lately.

Anyway, on with the show!

Thunder Woman chuckled "Hold on tight, 'Limey'!" she laughed as she scooped an arm around Lionheart and gave a hop across the skyline as low as she could.

The shopping bags she'd gathered trailed in her hands as she took a random series of leaps with varying lengths. To an onlooker it would seem as if she were zigzagging...

Lionheart glanced over her shoulder. This just might work. He hoped.

=========

The fire crackled quietly as the pair ate fresh roasted chicken that had been skewered and suspended over an open fire.

He didn't need to eat much, nor sleep or even breathe, but it felt good to be normal, like an ordinary human being and enjoying the company of someone else without having to talk business - as in, who the target was, how hard they had to hit them and where to put the bad guys when they'd gone down.

Thunder Woman chuckled as she finished her story. "...so he runs from the bank, laughing and waving around this giant ray gun! He's spouting about how he's going to bring down the government and crash the stock markets by stealing all the gold when he notices people laughing at him. Ordinary bystanders, who should be running in fear, were pointing and laughing. This guy gets so mad he pulls his ray gun round on them... then notices that his pants and underwear had been transmuted into nothing by his own reflected beam! He drops the gun, squeals and runs for cover. That's where we found him, rummaging through bins to get something to cover up. His transmuter ray was handed in to the cops by some kids." she laughs.

Lionheart looks across the fire. Thunder Woman was relaxed, seemingly without a care despite her life being turned upside down. He had been watching the town from these wooded hills for a while and as the day wore on watched the comings and goings. There were forensics people going over the crime scene, Ultrahumans interviewing people and bystanders still chatting about what had gone on. About an hour had passed since the pair had made countless leaps out of the small town and into the woods, following the path of a stream on foot and stopping here which was a decent vantage point to see what was going on. It would be a simple matter to follow the semi from a distance when it was repaired, which wouldn't take long judging by the progress being made. Only an hour had gone by but he suspected the truck would be on its way soon, albeit possibly with an Ultrahuman escort.

OOC Recovery Roll(2d10)+0: 7,4,+0 Total:11 ALL POWERS RECOVERED AND BODY/MIND/SPIRIT AT FULL LEVELS

Just then Lionheart felt it.

That tingle. DANGER!

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 1,7,+0 Total:8 Not a great roll or enough to tell which direction its coming from, but enough to know something is about to attack Lionheart!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jun 26 2016, 22:24

Admin wrote:That tingle. DANGER!

OOC Roll(2d10)+0: 1,7,+0 Total:8 Not a great roll or enough to tell which direction its coming from, but enough to know something is about to attack Lionheart!

A small hand gesture, was all it took to alert to Thunder Woman to the fact something was amiss.  Both of them used to working under duress, new the drill.  Lionheart was acutely aware of the advances his body had undergone in terms of his senses.  Sniffing the air, masking his breathing and heart rate, he listened even as his danger sense was pushed up to alert them to the possibility of danger.  

It might be no more than a hungry bear drawn by the smell of cooked meat, but then again...there had been one Ultrahuman who looked as if he could follow a scent.  Perhaps...

OOC:Ok so making use of Directional hearing, Super hearing, Analytical smell etc, and anything else I can push to get a bead on what is going on....

As regards all you've been through, to be honest mate I don't know how you do it.  It must be quite some adjustment, finding yourself where you are, with all the complications, regrets and responsibilities of things are they are now.  I am sure its not what you expected or wanted so it going to take some time to adjust.  Shame we're not closer, but I've not got super speed, nor the use of a quinjet to pull up for a beer and a cosy chat.  I hope there are friends around you whom you can lean on as needed.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jul 11 2016, 23:45

OOC Yeah have close friends I can gas to, though it's as tricky seeing them as it is getting to post on a computer! Work at the moment is crazy, along with having to juggle seeing the kids, getting stuff done, seeing the new lady. Seem to be spending my life in the car...

Anyhow...

Lionheart expanded his senses. He could hear Thunder Womans pounding heart, her slow breathing and subtle movements which, whilst quiet, sounded deafening to him at this range!

She looked about and hopped up into a tree.

Lionheart scanned the treeline, then saw him.

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Quill

Crouched in a tree himself, the guy barely gave off a heartbeat, and it was quiet at that. In fact he seemed to be not breathing, and incredibly stealthy. He could have sneaked up, attacked. Instead he crouched, razor sharp claws poised, and grinned at Lionheart as the British hero stood on the floor.

"She...." rasped the feral looking man "Was easy to track. Women can't resist wearing perfume. You on the other hand... I see... an aura. Force field? Something else. Someone else. Split personality perhaps? He's a different colour to you. Bad boy perhaps?"

Unlike his team mates, the man/beast wore a shade of red - perhaps it matched his mood somehow.

The man narrowed his eyes. He hadn't tensed but then his movements were so subtle, barely there that it was clear to someone like Lionheart that he was fast and not only that, masking his speed. Perhaps not as fast as he, but enough to cause trouble. And that included bringing his team mates down on them!

Thunder Woman hissed "We should take him down! QUILL is a powerful fighter with an insane healing factor! He can alert his friends!"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jul 12 2016, 08:11

Admin wrote:Thunder Woman hissed "We should take him down! QUILL is a powerful fighter with an insane healing factor! He can alert his friends!"

Lionheart knew that the creature before them, Quill could have attacked at any moment before hand. But clearly had instead decided to wait long enough to be noticed and notice what was going on. Good, perhaps this gave some hope that despite the hardening position of US policy toward Meta humans, not everyone followed the party line.

Raising a hand to assure Thunder Woman, Lionheart spoke up, "You're quite the perceptive fellow, Quill. It's nice to meet someone who stops to ask questions before laying down the law. For what its worth, if you end up having to do your duty I appreciate the fact you took time to notice we are not here to cause harm. In fact had we not intervened those rejects from a Greek Tragedy would have made off with whatever Timpson has in that lorry of his."

Lionheart paused, he made no threatening moved and remained calm and relaxed. He didn't want to 'spook' Quill, and beside which he might not be able to tell the whole truth but he sure had nothing special to hide.

"How does this play out now? Are you going to have to call this in, and we play some game of cat and mouse or can you let your own observations make an evaluation for yourself, so we can attempt to finish what we started? They way you've behaved, for which I am grateful, sure gives me hope that you can see we mean no harm and our intentions are to do what is right. In another life, I was like you. A policeman or cop, bound by duty. That duty still is incumbent on me which is why we're here in the first place. Wouldn't be sticky our noses where it wasn't wanted otherwise."

Lionheart left it there, left it for Quill to make up his own mind as to what should follow. This mission, which in itself was only step 1 in trying to get to the people and place where Lionheart might rescue the world from micro invasion, seemed to be like the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. The more he sought to get near, the further it seemed to be slipping away. Bringing his focus back to the situation, and berating himself for being sentimental about his circumstances, Lionheart sought to judge as to what Quill might do next.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 12 2016, 22:46

Quill tipped his head on his side, wry smile on his face.

"I see... you... bright... shining. the one inside? He is darker. Less... good. He I understand. You? You are like some of the other ultrahumans. You see the good in all despite the evil that they do. Everyone can be redeemed. Ha! No I say." he held up a clawed hand. "For those they need a hard lesson."

Thunder Woman chuckled. "I thought the same. They drummed me out of the Ultrahumans for not toeing the party line. I suspect you will meet that fate at some point. It's in your nature. You see black and white. The world is made of infinite shades of grey these days."

Quill was about to reply when he muttered "Crap."

The New Vanguard! Lionheart Issue #5 - The Mission, Part 3 - Page 5 Auran
The sky above the clearing lit up and a woman hovered in the air, her voice sounding oddly metallic and robotic as she spoke.

"UNLICENSED METAHUMANS! STAND DOWN! YOU WILL NOT GET ANOTHER WARNING!"

Quill looked up, eyes narrowed, then away, shaking his head before adding "AURAN, these people are not our enemies."

"YOU KNOW THE LAW QUILL" she intoned. "YOU WILL STAND ALL POWERS DOWN AND PREPARE TO BE PROCESSED!"

Quill stood. "Well I'm not fighting them. It's wrong."

"WRONG OR RIGHT IT MAKES NO MATTER. UNLICENSED METAHUMANS ARE BREAKING THE LAW BY NOT REGISTERING THEMSELVES. THEY ARE WEAPONS WITHOUT RESTRICTIONS. YOU AND I HAD TO BE REGISTERED, SO MUST THEY. IT IS THE LAW."

"And you say I see in black and white?" muttered Quill to Lionheart and Thunder Woman. "If you can leave here now I suggest you do it. Her... my... friends will be here in moments."

Auran levelled an arm. "YOU CANNOT LET THEM LEAVE QUILL AND NOR CAN I. LAST WARNING METAS. STAND DOWN."

Thunder Woman snarled "We haven't done anything wrong! We helped down there! Where were you?"

Auran ignored Thunder Woman and looked to Lionheart "AND YOUR RESPONSE?"

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 13 2016, 08:26

Admin wrote:Thunder Woman snarled "We haven't done anything wrong! We helped down there! Where were you?"

Auran ignored Thunder Woman and looked to Lionheart "AND YOUR RESPONSE?"

Lionheart turned one last time to Quill, "Thanks, but I believer we've overstayed our welcome."

And with that he moved at top speed, effortlessly lifting Thunder Woman and speeding off, not bothering to dampen his speed since the cat was out of the bag. Moving at such speed was exhilarating. A chance to cut loose, but with a purpose. Lionheart decided to head out, first moving via the ground, before taking off into the air. As he circled out, seeking to lay a track that made it easy to follow his trajectory toward space, before turning off his speed, and allowing himself to gentle make a controlled and low powered descent which hopefully wouldn't be obvious to those seeing the glowing trail of power ascending moments before.

Then almost gliding his way down to earth, he spoke to Thunder Woman. "Sorry for the rough handling, had to do something to throw them off. Now we seemed to have busted out of most of our options, got lots of attention we're going to have to tread even more lightly. Not sure what our next plan should be. Do you think they'll have got the car? I'm wondering about going back for it, or cutting our looses and seeing if we can't get to Timpson's place sooner? What do you think?"

OOC:Ugh, in other words this has got some convoluted I don't know what I am supposed/going to do. I mean I know I am trying to impress Timpson into finding a way to get at his White Dwarf material, but with so much going on and every way blocked its proving a nightmare just to inch forward on this one. So if Thunder Woman has any bright ideas I'm open. I need a lie down, meantime Question

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 20 2016, 22:24

Thunder Woman laughed "You certainly know how to sweep a woman off her feet!" as the pair re-entered the Earths atmosphere, ignoring the wind and heat.

Thunder Woman seemed to have an aura about her that protected anything in close proximity, like most of her clothing, though the shopping bags were long since destroyed! Lionheart had no such issues with his forcefield.

"Let's examine our options..." she offered.

"1. We make our way to Timpsons testing facility and risk being regarded as intruders.
2. We watch - from a distance - this delivery and protect it, thus showing - again - that we can be trusted and Timpson should be grateful.
3. Talk to the Ultrahumans. Explain to them we are on a mission of peace and trying to save the world. Unfortunately experience shows us that approach usually starts with a fight between good guys who eventually come around to the right way of thinking. Quill might be an ally, Auran won't.
4. As with option 1 but... you won't like this but we two can pretty much pound our way through Timpsons goons as far as I know. The Ultrahumans will be scouring around looking for us and we will need to get in fast and hard, get the stuff we need and get out. Our reputations will be in tatters but saving the world is most important, right?
5. We fly off and find a south sea island and watch the sun rise and fall while fishing and sleeping beneath the stars."

Thunder Woman get a shy smile. "After seeing my private life in tatters twice since I've met you, option 5 is appealing! That said..." she turned serious "If you need this White Dwarf star material so badly, Timpson will not just hand it over. he will want something. It's in the mans nature. I don't like him at all and it's a wonder that others don't see the fact that he plays the hero but his myriad diverse companies make money selling arms, property, natural resources and other commodities without caring who they trample over or the harm they cause. The public love him because he controls a couple of the big news networks and keeps the others quiet. The man who, literally, can do no wrong in the eyes of the public."

"Yet... what is the saying? Power corrupts..."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jul 21 2016, 15:53

Admin wrote:"Let's examine our options..." she offered.

Thunder Woman get a shy smile. "After seeing my private life in tatters twice since I've met you, option 5 is appealing! That said..."

Lionheart was grateful for the wind whipping fast, by the sound and blur of noise, although it didn't actually affect him it distracted him as he heard the beautiful woman make a joking play.  That and he felt he might be even blushing a little bit.  In any case romance or something like had only been something he'd come close to knowing about once before, a long time before.  But that didn't end so well, and now this...Would there ever be time for romance and if so what would a clone like him find at the end of that complicated thought should he pull on it?  

"I think you're right punching our way in or out had best be our last option.  Although it doesn't bother me what happens to Timpson, he's so embedded in American life, who's to say who else might suffer at the expense of making us look bad.  Besides I think I've taken a big enough sledge hammer to your life, already.  I think I owe it to you to give you chance at some kind of normal after this is all over.  Yes I guess Timpson might want something, however I think if we ensure that his lorry gets where its going we have a least a downpayment on his favour.  

I don't like making plays with men like Timpson, its a bit like the old adage 'if you think you've got off lightly best count your limbs, teeth and anything else you've not nailed down.'  Men like Timpson do thrive on the thrill of power.  And never more so than when they feel they're able to humble the powerful.  It's all a game, and winning is the prize they covet most of all.  But like most egotists, the whole publicity thing - is just his way of letting the world know who won.  His ego is probably his weakest point.  Men like Timpson love to win, but even more love to gloat about it.  Where is the real victory if you can't tell people?  

Anyway maybe we can use that against him, perhaps overstretch himself.  Won't be easy, might not even be possible.  But its something to file away for later."

Looking around Lionheart began to wind back toward the destination of the transport and its intended journey.  Looking up in the sky, his thoughts drifted away both to Timmy and the invasion threatened.  But also his mind drifted toward the rest of the team...team was a strange word since they'd increasingly spent so much time apart doing their own thing.  With a quick shake he put aside the thoughts so as not to distract him and set about finding a way to track the lorry with whatever Timpson wanted on it.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jul 24 2016, 22:48

Using his Telescopic vision (OOC need to amend character sheet) Lionheart found he could track the truck from a distance.

He could also see the Ultrahumans tracking the truck in their own way, with three fliers in their distinctive silver uniforms including the hostile Auran.

OOC More in a sec the e button on my laptop kyboard is playing up. Grrrrrrr

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next