The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard Issue 4 - Falling into the Abyss...

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The NEW Vanguard Issue 4 - Falling into the Abyss... - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard Issue 4 - Falling into the Abyss...

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Aug 25 2014, 23:40

ooc: is the gate still open? Can we get in it instead of trying to flee out of the cavern? Thought he said something about two of our teammates, sounds like he has them wherever he went.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard Issue 4 - Falling into the Abyss... - Page 4 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard Issue 4 - Falling into the Abyss...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 27 2014, 08:37

DavidMcMahon wrote:ooc: is the gate still open?  Can we get in it instead of trying to flee out of the cavern?  Thought he said something about two of our teammates, sounds like he has them wherever he went.

Using his considerable frost power, Frostbite dared the risk of freezing his friends as he sought to strengthen the roofs collapse by creating ice columns beneath the crumbling structure.  Meanwhile Lionheart lent his efforts batting aside any falling debris and adding his mental ability to lift with his mind.  If they were going to get out of this, their efforts were only going to be temporary at best.  

"Ghost Knight..." Frostbite called out, "I'd have your best guess as to what our options are, do we hang around or seek escape or use the portal to chase the demon onto its home ground." The thought chilled even Frostbite's otherwise cold immune heart.  The demon undoubtedly would be so much stronger on its home turf, surely.  And there would be the added complication of finding a way back?  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 29 2014, 16:18

OOC Weird. No notification by email. Will update tonight. Sorry chaps, I will check in the site for updates more often. Just off to pics to see Guardians of the Galaxy then will update when I come back...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Aug 29 2014, 16:54

Admin wrote:OOC Weird. No notification by email. Will update tonight. Sorry chaps, I will check in the site for updates more often. Just off to pics to see Guardians of the Galaxy then will update when I come back...

No mate, not weird, as I've often said this is a regular occurrence for me, but its intermittent. I hope you enjoy GOTG not yet seen it myself.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 29 2014, 23:24

I wonder if seeing the movie will have any affect on what happens to our characters? Twisted Evil
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 29 2014, 23:39

OOC Opinion on the movie? Loud, busy, lots of dropped names that even I had trouble keeping track of. Cinema was practically empty so it's nigh on at the end of it's run. Any good? It was ok. Don't know how close the characters were to the GotG comic books but I suspect the writers were more able to forge their own path as it's Marvels least known property that's made it to the movies. Tripled its money anyway so it will be back.

Haunt looked at the rapidly diminishing gate...

It was half it's size only moments having started to close!

Ghost Knight paused for a second. "If we go through that, there's no telling where it will lead!" he states. "Let's get out of here!"

He turned to move to a wall and started whacking at it. pounding rock into powder with every blow. Frostbite formed ice columns that slowed the rate of collapse but it was clear he was only delaying the inevitable!

Lionheart used superhuman speed to move to the place that needed most support, then used strength and telekinesis to shore up Frostbites' ice brace. Even so, the simple act of making one part of the roof stay put seemed to dislodge others - even the floor was breaking up and falling away in sections!

Ghost Knight called out "We need to get out! I... can't concentrate! Too much ..." he paused. "We need a hole out of here!"

He swung his mace again and again at a spot, joined by Stormbreaker who pounded with his sword, and Centurion who blasted with his cannon. (OOC All NPC mode). An Adjoining cavern, what might have been part of the castle once, was revealed, along with long crumbled stairs and - high above - the glimmer of moonlight through cracks in the ground!

"This way!" Shouted Ghost Knight

Haunt stood in front of the gate. All he need do was step forward, and dive into the shrinking hole. He and any who followed him might be able to find out what had happened to the missing heroes - or they might find themselves lost forever!

OOC The Gate is *just* about to close, and the roof cave in/floor collapse! Invulnerable your guys may be, but buried under hundreds of tons of rock will hurt...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 30 2014, 12:40

Admin wrote:OOC The Gate is *just* about to close, and the roof cave in/floor collapse! Invulnerable your guys may be, but buried under hundreds of tons of rock will hurt...

OOC what is this modern trend with movies to make the dialogue so obscure, I am sure the sound mixing guys could make it clearer, but sometimes you just miss whole sections because people mumble.

Anyway, ok Paul need to ask you a question as DM, it sounds as if we are being heavily hinted to go through the gate. But you left open the possibility of escape, as it stands we sound as if we are one end of the cavern, nearest possible escape? But its not a foregone conclusion that we will get out before the roof collapses. However being the other end of the cavern, could we get to the gate in time anyway? Just the way you've layered on the flavour text which (forgive me if I am wrong) heavily seems to me to lean toward going through the gate, wink wink, nudge nudge. Whilst preserving some neutrality - you won't know where your going or how to get back...etc. Ok so I am just asking for some direction here. I know that you can deal with whatever we go for, but to be honest standing where I am trying to get out of the cavern, seems like the right decision. Sentinel, Lionheart and Frostbite are all soldiers we are used to having to leaving people behind. So I kind of feel like we should go, but that you're hinting to get into the gate. So

a) can we from where we are and
b) why should we, we've left characters before, when there was too greater risk and little to gain, I can't see a reason why we'd not still try and escape the cavern collapse. But I feel like you'd want us to go through the gate, but we'd need a good reason to stop what we're doing and go through. Unless we carry on and get out, job done. I feel like if we were at the table, this is the kind of conversation I'd want to be having with you face to face, as players not as Characters.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Sep 03 2014, 19:14

will wait for reply Haunt is a bit torn as what to do as well. What do we have to do if we do escape?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 03 2014, 19:39

OOC Apologies for the delay. This weeks saga involved my youngest son spending overnight in hospital and (guess who) a volunteer staying with him. Let's just say that a hospital ward is not the best place to get any sleep...

With regards the gate - to dive in, or not, that's your call.

If you go into the gate, you literally enter the unknown. A dimension from which these disembodied spirits live, and the demonic lord guy is lord and master. What will you find there?

Or you can stay here, find a way out of the collapsing cavern (between you guys it's not as insurmountable as you may think) and defend the realm. After all, you have dispelled one gate, investigated another and found it open (though have convinced the bad guy to shut it). What nastiness has passed through the gate into the world at large? Who will defend it if you go gallivanting off?

That said, we're currently at half strength - only you Daves have been keeping up lately, so choose between yourselves and the result will mean separate adventures (one Dave per option) or continued team travels...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 03 2014, 21:14

Admin wrote:That said, we're currently at half strength - only you Daves have been keeping up lately, so choose between yourselves and the result will mean separate adventures (one Dave per option) or continued team travels...[/i][/color]

OOC No worries mate, trust you son is better.  I know something of this myself, though not done and overnight - my wife has though.  

As regards the gate, my feeling is we stay, what you've suggested has convinced me, now.  

Lionheart knew they'd have to move fast, his plaintive look back to Frostbite, didn't need to wait for long.  Frostbite began to bark out orders, no one was to be left behind but they had to make best speed from the cavern.  This gate was closed and with the collapse imminent, unlike to be found for a long time.  But what else waited outside?  And who or what was behind all this?  Questions like that, would have to wait, till the team was out in one piece.  

OOC: Ok folks, lets pool our resources, till we are safely out.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 04 2014, 17:16

The Haunt shapeshifts into ATV-like vehicle.

"Who needs a ride out," he asks.

actions: moving shapeshift into speed.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Sep 08 2014, 20:54

OOC NPC Mode as required...

Forming himself into a vehicle more bulletproof than any existing army tank, Haunt retains his ghostly aspect in the blue tinged light cast by Frostbites' breastplate...

Even as Haunt gathered up some of the team, Lionheart spun like a top/drill and created a tunnel for the tank to start down, with Centurion using his metal suit as mining tunnel struts to hold up the collapsing roof, then dissolving them and reforming the struts further down the tunnel...

Frostbite took the baton up from Centurion and turned the tunnel into a winter wonderland, with icy columns stretching from roof to floor...

Even so, the going was rough - the entire ruin was shuddering, as if it had been held up by some otherworldly force even though the very earth itself wanted to bury the foul gate so that no evil could issue forth.

========

The ground rumbled, and rocks parted, even as there was a huge crash behind and the ruins of the castle collapsed inwards and downwards!

Where the rocks fell aside, the tip of a hand broke free, then an arm, shoulder and the rest of Lionheart broke free, covered in dirt and dust. Moments later a white tank burst free of the ground, though it would seem to all the world like the tank was... shivering?

Minutes later, the group sat, exhausted and resting, on the edge of a crater.

Through their interference, they'd stopped a powerful otherdimensional force and its legions from entering the mortal realm...

But the victory, such as it was... hadn't it been... too easy? What was next for the Vanguard?

Lionhearts Danger Sense wasn't currently going off as he looked at the rising column of dust and debris from the great crater where the castle and the dungeons beneath had been, but he looked about, both at his team mates and the land around and felt... unease...

Somewhere, he imagined a horrific demon was laughing...

OOC Going to take a head count, and continue accordingly... whether in individual threads or team play. Sound off please!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Sep 08 2014, 21:37

Admin wrote:

Somewhere, he imagined a horrific demon was laughing...

OOC Going to take a head count, and continue accordingly... whether in individual threads or team play. Sound off please!

OOC I'm here ;-)

Don't mind going solo if you want, or me and Dave can head off together?  But don't want to cut the others out.  Ross probably hasn't noticed, or if like me hasn't got notification doesn't even know to check.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Sep 08 2014, 22:31

here, don't mind a bit more team play even if it is just a duo.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 10 2014, 19:41

ROLL CALL: (PCs)

Frostbite, Haunt, Lionheart

ROLL CALL (NPC MODE AT MOMENT)

Stormbreaker, Ghost Knight, Centurion, SOLARL, Bombshell (Depowered for now)

Outside the ruins, the team wondered what had happened. Had they won, or had their enemy, a creature of other-dimensional guile and power, simply retreated to fight another day?

SOLARL, the sentient light construct who acted as helper, pilot and occasional extra muscle (albeit less powerful than the other members of the team) spoke up "The authorities will want to know what has happened to the Castle. In addition it will need the area sealing off so as to prevent trespass. Ghost Knight, your contacts will help ensure the cover story is plausible. May I suggest that I start on that immediately?"

Ghost Knight was looking into the crater. A moment later, he turned, to find the others looking at him. "EH? Oh, yes. Whatever is needed. Can't help but think we haven't seen the last of that creature. I need to research, find out what we're up against. We won't know what happened to Captain Claymore or the Druid until we see that fiend again."

He turned and headed towards the parked jet, then stopped. "What happened to the Airjet?" He looked to SOLARL, who turned to look at Centurion. Who shrugged, and looked sheepish. "It still works." he offered. "Just needs a bit of patching up. Hey, metal doesn't grow on trees!"

Ghost Knight turned and clanked towards the Jet before turning about. "Anyone who needs a lift, even a place to stay, can come along. Otherwise might I suggest we meet again in ... two days? The Hammond Hotel in Edinburgh a few miles up the road will put you up... providing you don't turn up in costume to stick out like a sore thumb. Your secret identity is your own, and I have no interest in finding out who you are, but the Hotel staff don't want the bother of super villains, police, the press and gawpers showing up. Stay as long as you like on my account, SOLARL will give the details and a password. However I would request you all contact me via internet link in 2 days, at 19.00 hours, to continue from where we left off here."

SOLARL nodded, and spoke up "I shall have all relevant details to hand, plus a change of civilian clothing suitable for you to change into, and a USB stick each to use in a computer terminal of your choice which shall provide all the relevant means to contact you with and establish a communal communication link."

Bombshell frowned. "What about me? My powers are drained at the moment, but when they come back...?"

Ghost Knight held up his hands to calm her. "I know someone, a scientist, who will help sort you out. Frostbite, Lionheart and Centurion, you are free to go where you please of course but the facilities you used before* can and should be considered your home. Bombshell, you can accompany them as you see fit, which I recommend. Haunt, Stormbreaker..."

Stormbreaker (NPC mode) looked at the crater, then frowned. "A good man is missing. I'm going to take up your offer of lodging at that hotel and continue to look around here, using my magic sense to watch the area and maybe pick up the scent if there is one to find. I will contact you at the appointed time and see what progress has been made."

Ghost Knight nodded, and turned to Haunt. "I believe you are based in London. The Jet... what's left of it... will be heading that way. I have business in London myself."

"And I don't know about you lot, but I need a couple of aspirin, a long soak in the bath and a stiff drink!" muttered Ghost Knight as he clanked onto the Airjet, stopped to look at exposed wires dangling from walls where panels used to cover them, and sighed, wondering what the repairs were going to cost this time. 'Repairs' he didn't mind - Wandafar generally wouldn't let something be repaired without it being upgraded first though, and that was where the real costs started to spiral...

OOC From here I intend to start individual threads in the next few days, and I'll post links up. The team will have a chance to establish something of a personal life so it's not all about hitting stuff and detective work. Then we'll get back into the serious business of hitting stuff and detecting things...

*St John Hall, details HERE
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smaug Fri Sep 12 2014, 10:19

OOC: Stupid bloody technology, stupid bloody wi fi, stupid bloody phone grrrr.
Anyway.......(deep breath) fancy another APC or in a A team styley 'lets modifie the van' with armored plates and a massive cattling gun (that'll put a smile on centurians face). ROLL OUT

smaug
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)
Class 4 Hero (Powerful Superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 16 2014, 22:27

OOC Good to know you're still knocking about Ross. I know how hard it is to be able to sit down at a screen, so no pressure on anyone to keep up - I'm fully aware that real life has to come first ... Shocked

The airjet sputtered into life, but some adjustment had it flying satisfactorily.

Stormbreaker (NPC) had said his farewells and vowed to stay in touch via the scrambled communicator handed to him by SOLARL, shaken the hands of those present, and flown off to the north.

"Can't help but think that was too easy..." muttered Ghost Knight as he sat in the co-pilot chair alongside SOLARL. The heroes in the passenger compartment had their own thoughts. After a titanic battle to shut down the gateway at the prison in Wales, as well as quelling a mass escape attempt, it seemed that so powerful an entity and it's forces had gone down too easily. Why?

Without immediate answers, all that remained was to return to their homes, wait, watch and react to whatever new threat surfaced.

The Vanguard didn't need Lionhearts danger sense to tell that that a new threat wouldn't be long in coming...

The sun started to rise as a battered vehicle and it's equally weary occupants headed to the places they called home, and an uneasy rest...

=========

OOC This is where the current issue ends. All characters earn 100 Hero Points apiece, and keep an eye out for new solo threads, coming shortly...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4