The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Sun May 08 2011, 23:48



The car stopped, and the man stepped out, looking around. The snow capped hills in the background were ancient. They'd seen much since man had lived in their shadow, not least of which the riding out of iron clad men on horseback to do the Kings will in times past. Handing the correct fare, plus a tip, to the cab driver, the tall man breathed the air in. This was home, but only in the sense he'd spent more time here than anywhere else.

No, that was wrong. Five years in a Russian prison. Tortured, beaten, forgotten. For King and Country.

Not yet thirty, his powerful frame filled the coat and strode across the road to the 'Kings Dozen' pub. He remembered the stories from over two decades ago, sat in front of a roaring fire with his brother and sister whilst their father told of times past, of Knights bold and true riding out to right wrongs and bring justice to the land. Somewhere along the line the takes had changed, so that the Knights were a dozen. Perhaps it made for a better story? Shaking the lightly falling snow from his hat and coat he went in, glancing about before finding a seat with his back to the wall. Old habit.

The landlord came over "What can I get ya sir?" he smiled, giving the table a wipe. He squinted then at the newcomer. There were few others in as yet - another hour and the place would be near full, though that wasn't saying much given it was the only pub for miles and there was little else to do in Caer Alwyn. "Say... you'd be the umpteenth stranger we've had round here lately, but there's something familiar 'bout you, if you don't mind me saying so sir. Been here before, if I may ask?"

"Pint of bitter, and some food. Anything. Sandwich, ploughmans, whatever you have please." replied the voice from the newcomer. It was slightly accented, legacy of nearly a decade spent in a foreign land, watching, reporting, waiting and blending in. He'd been Russian in all respects, save the day he was betrayed by the woman he loved. Since then there'd been day after day of beatings, torture, humiliation. They sought to break him. He'd sought to break out. He remembered the endless exercises, the dreaming of a far off land, the stories his father had told. They'd almost gotten him. It'd been close. Then the BOOM BOOM BOOM in his head, ear splitting pain no one else had heard, but enough to completely blank out the pain of the torture! He'd laughed at them, and they'd thought him mad. Next day, an empty cell awaited, and a guard found unconscious was to be it's next occupant. A mad rush, hiding, running, living rough... He'd come from half way around the world to here. Home. Well, as much as he'd call anywhere home.

"Sir?" asked the Landlord.

With a smile, the stranger looked up. "Yes? Oh, you asked a question. Sorry. My name?" He considered. His mother had reverted to her maiden name after the divorce, and they'd travelled far and wide to escape the influence of the Earl. His mother had been wrong, but at five years old it was all a blur to him. He remembered stays in Eastern European cities before coming back to England. Oxford, the army, picked out for his sharp mind and exceptional athleticism, barely needed any training for a role as a spy in Russia. Keep an eye on the reds, be a hero, they'd said. Hero? Like the Knights of old? He'd been charmed by the notion, and before he could think to look up his father he'd been whisked off.

He pondered the Landlords question. His name? Alexei Berastinov, up and coming Soviet Intelligence officer? Yuri Raninev, Sailor. Garin Podorski, Army lieutenant. Half a dozen others. He looked up, the haunted eyes chilling the landlord. "St Johns. Gerard St Johns." he replied.

=========

"Sir? A visitor." said the butler. The Old Earl whirled, sloshing his whisky. "Can't you see I'm busy man? Send the bounder away!"

Then he saw the shaken look on the butlers face. Despite his coarse nature, the Earl was a reader of men. He glanced at the young boy sat in the chair in the library, at the bandage faced man sat across from him, and at Harry Peterson, battered and bruised. "Mr Allard?" asked the Earl. The bandaged man nodded, and his features morphed to those of a handsome young actor. A remarkable transformation, made more so by the fact none of the rooms occupants were phased in the slightest! The butler popped out, and opened the door, coming in and waving to a newcomer. The tall man walked slowly in, measuring those he saw in the chair, eyebrow raised at the youngster, and gaze falling on the old man whose jaw opened nervelessly. The drink clattered onto the desk and overturned, prompting the butler to smoothly walk over to clean it up. The newcomer handed his coat to the butler as the manservant passed, and waited.

The young boy was the first to speak. "Looks... familiar?" he glanced at the newcomer, the Old Earl, and a painting on the wall of the Earl in his younger days, in military uniform. It was as if the years had rolled back from the Earl and he'd strode in through the door.

OOC Hope this is enough to go on for an intro. Feel free to add in the blanks with dialogue and character history as you see fit. He'll soon be getting into the action at any rate. The Vanguard are there purely as window dressing, save Buccaneer who is also a Lore Knight, albeit one trounced on his first outing after an overconfident start!
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Wed May 11 2011, 03:49

Morningstar AKA Gerard St Johns [pronouced Sin Jins if memory serves]

ooc: Great intro. Even though being trounced, Buccaneer winds up being the senior Lore Knight by one fight. heheheh!


The young boy was the first to speak. "Looks... familiar?" he glanced at the newcomer, the Old Earl, and a painting on the wall of the Earl in his younger days, in military uniform. It was as if the years had rolled back from the Earl and he'd strode in through the door.

OOC Hope this is enough to go on for an intro. Feel free to add in the blanks with dialogue and character history as you see fit. He'll soon be getting into the action at any rate. The Vanguard are there purely as window dressing, save Buccaneer who is also a Lore Knight, albeit one trounced on his first outing after an overconfident start!.


"I'm back from the dead, father, here to haunt you," Gerard "Clary" St Johns says. He goes over to the drinks table and starts to pour himself a tall one with water. "Hope us ghosts are allowed to drink. Who are your friends? A bit young for you for friends, I would guess. New hires? Boys you adopted when I died? Though those two look too old to have been adopted. The boy though ... is he your new heir?"

He rubs his head after taking a big swallow. His head is hurting something fierce. A pounding headache. He had been having a lot of them lately.
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Wed May 11 2011, 21:57

Gerard St Johns

The old man is flabbergasted. You wondered what his reaction would be, and it's... different, perhaps, than what you were expecting. He and mother fell out, and once you learnt the truth, you kind of felt sorry for the old man. He was tied here by honour, duty, and sacrifice. Mother? She wanted the jet set life style, and to view life through the bottom of a bottle. Some years her senior, the old fella had tried to track her down, but she was good. She tried both of the things she wanted, ran out of money for the first and the liver gave out after years of the second.

St John glanced around the room. Something weird about the boy, the comfortable, casual way he has in a room of supposed elders and betters. His eyes. They've seen more than a, what? 10 year old? Probably. They've seen more than he should have. The man sat a couple of feet away is trying to appear relaxed, looks military with a good physique and clean cut. The bruises on his face and the way he's leaning suggest he's had a kicking recently. Not just to his body either, his ego probably took a battering too.

The last one? Memories are dredged up. A love of the arts whilst in Russia. Occasional look at English broadsheets when St John had slipped any prying eyes, a brief taste of home, and he'd devoured every word before burning the paper. Actor type? Someone. No matter - his father would explain.

"Fancy explaining what you've done with your life son?" he says, trying to regain some face in front of the others. Why not dismiss them all, out of hand? He is still lord of the manor, his house, his rules. What do they have on you father?

St John calmed his natural instinct to wade in. A top spy, betrayed only because the woman he loved adored her country more. He had sacrificed everything for his country, and they'd repaid him by denying all knowledge. Gone rogue, they'd said. Do with him as you will.

"Doesn't matter what he's done, Earl." said the boy. The boy??? He stood, slight frame clothed in simple attire. Shouldn't he be at school? "He's been called." added the boy. "Headaches? Boom, BOOM, BOOM?"

The boy was disappointed if he expected a facial reaction from the consummate spy. The Earl looked up "Is it true son?" he asked, tears misting his eyes. "Are you home to stay?"
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Wed May 11 2011, 22:35

Gerard St Johns




St John calmed his natural instinct to wade in. A top spy, betrayed only because the woman he loved adored her country more. He had sacrificed everything for his country, and they'd repaid him by denying all knowledge. Gone rogue, they'd said. Do with him as you will.

"Doesn't matter what he's done, Earl." said the boy. The boy??? He stood, slight frame clothed in simple attire. Shouldn't he be at school? "He's been called." added the boy. "Headaches? Boom, BOOM, BOOM?"

The boy was disappointed if he expected a facial reaction from the consummate spy. The Earl looked up "Is it true son?" he asked, tears misting his eyes. "Are you home to stay?".


"Do I have a home," Clary asks somewhat retorically and somewhat wistfully. "After all, according to the Government, I'm supposed to be dead. Been dead for a few years. Wot? Didn't they tell you that? What do you mean "called", kid? What do you know of my headaches?"

He looks around.

"Where do you keep your cigars, father? I would kill for a good cigar! Haven't had one in years!"

Not knowing who these other folks were, he wasn't going to spill anything more about his past.
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Thu May 12 2011, 09:57

Gerard St Johns

The Earl looked uncomfortably around and the kid was the first to pick it up. "Perhaps we should leave the Earl and his son to be reacquainted?" he offered. With tears filling his eyes the old man walked over to his son, and self consciously hugged him, whispering "my god boy... they told me you were dead! I damn near punched out the bloody bureaucrat they sent from Whitehall! Wouldn't give me any details... anything. I haven't seen you for ... what... 20... 25 years nearly? Then you walk back into the place and ask if this is your home?" With tears rolling down the old mans face he stood off, holding his son lightly by the shoulders and smiling. His joy, unbridled and genuine, was obvious. "They told me you were dead!"

After that the Earl broke down, sobbing, and St Johns led his father to the sofa. It was the child who spoke up as the other three went to leave. "We need to talk. I'm not what I seem, and neither is anyone else in this room, including you and your father."

Anyman put his hand on the boys shoulder gently. "That's for later James." he said, offering St Johns one of the Earls finest Cuban cigars. "I'd say you deserved that. I'm Lance Allard. That's Henry Peterson and the youngster is Jimmy Caldwell junior." He gave a cheeky glance at Nowhere Boy who scowled, and the trio left.

It was a while, and several brandies, before the Earl was able to compose himself.

=========

Peterson glanced down the corridor. "What about them?"

The archaeologists and academics that had been kidnapped by the Nazis were admiring the antiques and books in one of the Mansions great rooms. The place was stepped in history, and the Earl, normally a private man, had never before let anyone in to examine the artifacts he had in his possession, all things a museum would dearly love!

Nowhere Boy looked out of the window, then back in the room. "The Earl knows his stuff. They won't remember a thing from the last few days. Unfortunately our suspected nazi collaborator won't either. That means there's no trail to follow unless the nazis get in touch again." he turned to Allard "Sorry about the Submarine, but our agreement was a ceasefire for prisoner exchange. If it's any consolation, one of the nazi metahumans had come to and was ordering the U-boat to turn around. That settled the issue for me, as that Captain seemed an honourable chap. Next time, I'll make sure you take the decision to 'pull the plug'. This is war, but I accept that we must act honourably, else we're no better than the enemy. I'll try my best."

=========

"In times of Old the land was beset by Chaos!" said the Earl as he led the way down a dark passage...


After he and his son had had an awkward hour catching up and filling in the numerous blanks, he'd summoned the other three back and opened a secret door in the library, away from prying eyes. The book which triggered the door 'Le Morte d'Arthur' was one of several copies and looked the worst for wear, battered and nondescript. It opened a secret tunnel and stairway into the caverns beneath the mansion, themselves part of the dungeons beneath the old castle. "A man named Wayland created seven swords, and gave them to the most noble of Knights. They became the Crusaders, otherwise known as the Lore Knights. One man was often their mentor, armourer and 'held the fort' so to speak but often the role was never filled. Over time the land was calmed thanks to the efforts of the Knights, and their legend passed into history. Whenever the land was imperilled, though, it would call, summon those it needed to defend it. I was never summoned, but I'd always dreamed and hope a child of mine might be. Your mother never understood. She was younger and livelier. I loved her with all my heart, but she broke mine when she left, whilst I was away on... " he waved his hands around "Business pertaining to the Lore Knights."

"I failed you as a Father, son, and your brother and sister likewise. I won't fail you again, if you give me chance to redeem myself. The Land calls you, to be a champion once more, like it called two of the three standing here." said the Earl. In an authoritative tone he barked. "Show him!"

The child instantly transformed into a costume of all black, black cloak, mask and hood. 'Clary' felt like laughing, but there was something dark and deadly about the boy that drained humour from him. The other man, Peterson, transformed into ... "Eh? Errol Flynn?" spluttered Gerard.

The dandy smiled, beaming white teeth and all charm, oozing from every pore. "Best I could manage at short notice sir! I am Buccaneer! I welcome you, to the Lore Knights!" and with that he gave an acrobatic back flip and flourish with a sword that appeared in his hand!

The Earl turned, and said "LIGHTS!" Instantly burning torches lit throughout a large cavern, and in the centre, a throne and plinth. Set in the plinth were a number of places for swords to jut. One such place was occupied by a gleaming blade.

"Gods!" uttered Buccaneer. "That wasn't there a moment ago, I'd swear!"

The Earl turned, "Silence!" he barked. He turned to his son. "The land calls for a hero. It calls you, my son, returned to me after decades of thinking you dead! the choice is yours on whether you draw it, but your life will ne'er be the same again if you do! I have guarded that sword all of my life, but to me it was always a shiny ornament. I dreamt last night that I came down here to place it in the plinth but can't have done - I was drunk as a skunk!" He turned to look at his son. "Gerard?"

OOC If Gerard takes the sword, it will transform into the Morning Star, and he into an armoured Knight complete with his powers. Feel free to fill in with dialogue from the others.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Sun May 15 2011, 18:21

Gerard St Johns

ooc: Sorry, busy couple of days.


The Earl turned, and said "LIGHTS!" Instantly burning torches lit throughout a large cavern, and in the centre, a throne and plinth. Set in the plinth were a number of places for swords to jut. One such place was occupied by a gleaming blade.

"Gods!" uttered Buccaneer. "That wasn't there a moment ago, I'd swear!"

The Earl turned, "Silence!" he barked. He turned to his son. "The land calls for a hero. It calls you, my son, returned to me after decades of thinking you dead! the choice is yours on whether you draw it, but your life will ne'er be the same again if you do! I have guarded that sword all of my life, but to me it was always a shiny ornament. I dreamt last night that I came down here to place it in the plinth but can't have done - I was drunk as a skunk!" He turned to look at his son. "Gerard?"

OOC If Gerard takes the sword, it will transform into the Morning Star, and he into an armoured Knight complete with his powers. Feel free to fill in with dialogue from the others.


"We could make so many great films here," Allard said to no one in particular. "Such great atmosphere!"

Nowhere Boy just sighs at him.

"So ... I'm just supposed to pull this sword out, just like King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone," Clary asks a bit doubtfully, thinking this had to be some kind of weird joke but then again ... no one knew he was coming. "And what do you mean "my life will never be the same"? It isn't the same as it was before Russia and I have no idea what its going to be like now that we are in a war and friendly with the Reds."

"You will be like him," the old man said, pointing to Buccaneer. "You will have powers. You will have a fancy costume. You will have obligations that can destroy any chance you have at future happiness. Or they may not. But to whom great power is given ... well ... you know in the Army there is a saying. Something along the lines of "the only problem with succeeding is that the Higher Ups figure you can now handle an even worse problem"?"

"Those who bear the swords, few people will ever know them. Few people will ever thank you," Nowhere Boy puts in. "I carried a sword ... in your future ... when I had an adult body. The burden is great, sometimes unbearable, but if you love your country and wish to protect it, all the hardships will be worth it. But if you are a man who needs others to pat him on the back in order to feel good about yourself ... well, the burden will destroy you."

"Glad I didn't get one of those," Allard mutters. "Bad enough having two other "folks" living in my head. Not getting applause for what I do....?" He SHUDDERS.

"So, I'm going to turn in Errold Flynn," Gerard asks a bit doubtfully.

"No," Nowhere Boy says with a laugh. "Each sword gives a different look and different powers to its wielders."

"The same sword passed from hand to hand in OUR family," the elder St Johns says, "and rarely did it or its wielder appear the same."

"Okay, just so long as I don't look like that guy," Gerald says, finally stepping up and grasping the sword.









The sword sticks for just a moment and then comes free with a shudder. Gerald is immersed in a golden shower of light. His outline and the uplifted sword itself can be seen changing inside the bright golden light.




avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Mon May 16 2011, 00:04

Morning Star

OOC By the way, I did a straight conversion of the old Ghost Knight character from the Lore Knights game. If you want to change any of the stars (stronger, faster, tougher, smarter etc) or give him different powers (they may be less powerful, but there'd be more of them, like some kind of flash effect where he summons the light of the Morning Star, that sort of thing) just let me know. I have been writing behind the scenes and think I've come up with something pretty easy to run whilst incorporating the panels/frames system of Golden Heroes. It's still in draft stage but am thinking of expanding it further and actually writing the whole game out. We only need the draft document (where the basic mechanics, plus all relevant combat mechanics and use of hero points are laid out) but if I finished the whole thing you can make your own characters from scratch how you want them done (it's point buy system). Anyhow, back to the birth of our new hero...

The others in the room turned aside slightly as light blazed through the ancient hall! The Old Earl beamed with joy and pride as his returned son took up the family legacy. That he had not been chosen by the sword mattered little - his son would live on to carry on the family name and forge his own legend as the Earl St John and the hero, Morning Star!

For his part Morning Star felt strength and power course through him. The sword instantly changed, even as he watched, into a mace like weapon. He knew instinctively how to use it with the skill of the warrior born, and knew he would be unmatched in battle! He also sensed the magic around this place, looking at the walls, the old monuments, even his father, who was a wizard of no small skill, though he probably kept the knowledge secret. He looked at the young boy, and saw nothing of magic. If he'd been a Lore Knight at some point, he was one no longer. Nor was Allard. The egotistical actor turned hero emanated the same kind of power as the boy did, and that made Clary shudder. Whatever burden those two carried, they were welcome to!

Buccaneer radiated the same form of magic as Morning Star himself did. The man would be a liability until he'd figured out how to best use his abilities.

"It's time for us to go." said the boy. "Anyman and me. We have to gather the forces at Bletchley Park, though the responsibility will fall on Anyman. I doubt they'd take a 10 year old seriously!"

Morning Star looked again. There was something of magic inside still. Perhaps whatever transgression he'd committed had been forgiven by this place, and with each service he preformed in the defence of the realm, that trust was restored yet further.

"Well son, you'll need time to adapt to those powers. Maybe you should... SON!"

Without a word or warning, Morning Star and Buccaneer had disappeared!

"Get used to that." sighed Nowhere Boy. "One of my past selves used to hate that - he was always disappearing without warning. Sarah never did..." the boys voice trailed off. He pulled on his black mask and turned to Anyman. "Time to go." he rasped. "Earl. Thanks for the hospitality. Watch out for the Nazis - they'll be back!"

=========

Morning Star appeared, with Buccaneer, on a mist wreathed moor...

The sun was blocked out, for the most part, and the drizzle clung like a blanket to the skin. Clary shivered, but not from the cold. "What the devil?" spluttered Peterson, in his 'Errol Flynn' form. He looked about, and whisked a sword from its sheath. "What happened, and where are we? What about the others?"



Morning Star looked about. The moors were undulating and wild, covered in heather and bushes. It was bleak, uninhabited, and unwelcoming, as was that which Clary saw emerging from rolling fog. A Castle, cold and hard and somehow in keeping with the near dead landscape all about, was set on a hill. Even though the plants grew, they were tough and wiry, the ground underneath hard packed and providing nothing for livestock.

A faint sound could be heard from the Castle. "Is that... chanting?" asked Buccaneer...

OOC You have full knowledge of your powers and how they work. If you'd like a list of powers (descriptions are mostly self explanatory but I can provide them for any powers your interested in) so you can tweak your character before play starts up, I'll email you a scan of the powers list.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Mon May 16 2011, 23:46

MORNINGSTAR

Morning Star looked about. The moors were undulating and wild, covered in heather and bushes. It was bleak, uninhabited, and unwelcoming, as was that which Clary saw emerging from rolling fog. A Castle, cold and hard and somehow in keeping with the near dead landscape all about, was set on a hill. Even though the plants grew, they were tough and wiry, the ground underneath hard packed and providing nothing for livestock.

A faint sound could be heard from the Castle. "Is that... chanting?" asked Buccaneer...

OOC You have full knowledge of your powers and how they work. If you'd like a list of powers (descriptions are mostly self explanatory but I can provide them for any powers your interested in) so you can tweak your character before play starts up, I'll email you a scan of the powers list..


OOC: The Powers are fine. Just run me slowly through the first combat to see if I understand how they are used and we will do alright.

Pulling a cigar from a pouch, the man now called Morningstar put it in his mouth, bit off the end, spitting it out and then lit it.

"So help me, if we get a giant hound out here, I'm going to kill someone," Morningstar said to Buccaneer. "I do not want to fight the Hound of the Baskervilles! Let's go up to the spooky castle and find the chanters. Probably summoning a demon or something like that. Can you fly or something? It seems I can fly."
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Tue May 17 2011, 01:21

MORNINGSTAR

"Fly?" asked Buccaneer. "No, but I can swing from a rope to whatever I tether onto. I suppose it's a limited form of flying, because the rope seems almost alive!" He watched as a ghostly winged horse formed with a thought by MorningStar who patted the thing as if it were real and solid.

When Peterson tried his hand went straight through "Well blow me down!" he exclaimed. "I thought I was the strange one, able to summon a ghost ship to sail on the waves, but this takes the biscuit! I say old chap, do you suppose you could give me a lift? Save on boot leather, what?"

OOC Clary can carry a passenger or two if they can hold onto him.

Climbing up onto the horse whilst keeping a hand on St Johns shoulder, Buccaneer gasped "It's solid now! What on earth?" He made the mistake of letting go of St Johns and fell through the insubstantial horse to land on his backside! "Perhaps it's better if I walk..." he moaned.

=========

Minutes later the pair, mounted securely on the ghostly flying horse, neared the castle...

The place was old, dishevelled with loose stone and wild bushes growing from certain points in the walls, and the wooden sloped roof was rotted through in places. Nearer now, the echoing chants rang from the place.

"Eerie. How did we get here? Suppose the people in this place know?" asked Buccaneer.

OOC Do you intend to land at the gates, fly to an open window, through the roof at the top or try some other method of entry? Announcing yourself etc? Being careful or careless?


avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Tue May 17 2011, 12:04

MORNINGSTAR



Minutes later the pair, mounted securely on the ghostly flying horse, neared the castle...

The place was old, dishevelled with loose stone and wild bushes growing from certain points in the walls, and the wooden sloped roof was rotted through in places. Nearer now, the echoing chants rang from the place.

"Eerie. How did we get here? Suppose the people in this place know?" asked Buccaneer.

OOC Do you intend to land at the gates, fly to an open window, through the roof at the top or try some other method of entry? Announcing yourself etc? Being careful or careless?

.



"I'm not sure how it happened. My father can tell us more when we get back," Morningstar replies, as he circles looking for an opening. "Let's be a bit causious about this until we know who we are facing and how many."

He finds an open window he likes and flies up to it and has Buccaneer go first and then follows through it.
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Tue May 17 2011, 22:17

MORNINGSTAR

"Cautious?" laughs Buccaneer. "hey, I know I got my arse kicked back there...oh yes, that was before you got there... but anyway, I have these superhuman powers! You do! What could possibly..."

He leaps from the back of the horse mid sentence into the shadows of the windowless room hight up in the castle and his voice trails off.

With a thought MorningStar guides the horse to the window ledge and steps off gracefully, ducking down with ease into the room and marvelling at the way his body - always athletic anyway - obeyed his commands more than it had ever done! He felt full of boundless energy, tireless, with strength beyond measure!



He paused in his thought.

Buccaneer was standing slightly awestruck, turning to glance at the armoured knight who landed lightly without the metallic clattering sound one normally associates with people wearing plate armour!

"Hey! Do you see...? Ladies! Perhaps you might be able to tell us where we are... but that can wait! I'd have your names, beauties, and then? Who knows?" smiled Buccaneer.

The rest of the room had been a bedroom once. The place was dust covered, a broken collapsed four poster bed dominated one wall and old rotted tapestries, threadbare and faded, hung in tatters from the walls. A rotted dresser leaned to one side, the wood smashed at some point by some furious blow on top. The door leading out of the room seemed to be heavily reinforced with metal and was securely shut.

"Have you come... to rescue us?" purred one of the ladies (OOC the one on the right). She gave a look that spoke volumes to Buccaneer and he laughed "Why of course, beauties! We'll not only take you away from here, we'll thrash the bounder that kept you locked up!"

They slowly start to move towards Buccaneer and MorningStar.

OOC Roll of 14 on Intelligence, plus bonus for sharp eyed reveals...


MorningStar glanced slightly past the trio.

They'd left no trail or mark in the thick dust of the floor, whereas Buccaneer and Morningstar had left plenty where they'd trodden! All around the room, there was little sign these three had in any way disturbed the dust...

avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Tue May 17 2011, 22:33


MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer


They slowly start to move towards Buccaneer and MorningStar.

OOC Roll of 14 on Intelligence, plus bonus for sharp eyed reveals...

MorningStar glanced slightly past the trio.

They'd left no trail or mark in the thick dust of the floor, whereas Buccaneer and Morningstar had left plenty where they'd trodden! All around the room, there was little sign these three had in any way disturbed the dust...


"Whoa! whoa! WHOA!," Morningstar yells out. "Look past them, you fool! There is no footprints or anything in this old DUSTY room! How come there is no trace of these, to be frank, very desireable young women when they move about?"

He goes into a crouch, pulling out his morningstar.

"Something is very wrong here!"
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Tue May 17 2011, 23:59


MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer


"So they are light on their feet?" laughed Buccaneer. "So what? Whoa now chap, no need to wave any weapons about, after all these ladies arrrrgggh!" he cried out, as the three opened their mouths for the first time, revealing gaping maws and wolf like fangs! Their eyes filled with blood, and bestial cries escaped their throats as they brought sharp nailed hands up to bear on their next meals!

OOC Initiative.. These are Vampires, as you may have guessed. You face three of them... Initiative uses the lowest score of each side (in your case, yours as Buccaneers super speed really ramps his up). Heroes 27 (rolled 10), Vampires 15 (rolled 6). 4 frames to you guys. Whipping out a sword gives -2 to your Acting value but doesn't cost a frame.


Buccaneer regains his senses "Gods! Look at that! And to think I..." He started dance about as it became clear a Vampire was lunging at him! With a deft duck to the side he lunged back!

OOC Acting value (9) vs Opposing (5) means target number is 11+5-9=7+2 for the weapon drawing for a target of 9. Buccaneer tries to be flashy and goes for a critical blow. This adds 4 to the target number (up to 13) but increases the damage (effect value) by 6 points. His sword (effect value 9) would effectively be boosted to 15! Roll of 13. Hit! Their resistance value (6) is reduced from the effect value to find the damage, in this case, 9 points!

Buccaneer leaps forward, thrusting the enchanted rapier at his foe! The Vampire screams as the blade punches directly through her chest! With a wail she slides from the blade and falls to the floor!

No blood issues from the wound...

OOC Vampire is on -3 Body. She would die at -6 (negative value of her starting body), but she's a vampire, and all that entails...

"Ach! Sorry ladies! Seems you're just not my type after all!" laughs Buccaneer. "Care to get in on the action old chap?" he asks MorningStar, with a theatrical flourish. "I'd not bother too much about hitting a lady - there are none around here to be found, that's for sure!"

OOC Buccaneer has used 1 frame and dropped a Vampire. There;s one each on the pair of you. You have 4 frames, Buccaneer has 3...
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Thu May 19 2011, 13:49

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer


"Ach! Sorry ladies! Seems you're just not my type after all!" laughs Buccaneer. "Care to get in on the action old chap?" he asks MorningStar, with a theatrical flourish. "I'd not bother too much about hitting a lady - there are none around here to be found, that's for sure!"

OOC Buccaneer has used 1 frame and dropped a Vampire. There;s one each on the pair of you. You have 4 frames, Buccaneer has 3...

ooc: Actually, I'm totally confused by your combat explanation. Probably because I haven't had a chance to sit down and read the notes yet. Also, I was thinking ghouls instead of vampires, but it makes sense now that I think about it. affraid


Using his golden shield to block the teeth of the vampire attacking him, Morningstar is about to find out what his morningstar can actually do to the undead. He swings away at the undead woman.

avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Fri May 20 2011, 01:03

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer

OOC It's the DC heroes game system modified (house ruled) so you no longer need a table. The acting value is what you attack with, the opposing value is what the vampire tries to avoid the blow with. The effect value is your strength, or the weapons damage, and the resistance value is the vampires body (or 'toughness'. MorningStar could probably withstand an exploding mortar shell so he's pretty tough, all things considered.) So we have MorningStars Acting value (his Weaponry skill:11) against the Vampires Dexterity (5). The target number is 11 + Vampires Dexterity (5) - Morningstars weaponry skill (11). 5 or over to hit. Roll 2d10... 7. Not great, but the damage is effect value of Mace (11) - Body of Vampire (6) = 5 points.

Morningstar slams the mace into the womans head, sending her reeling! With gouged lumps of flesh dangling from her face she's not so pretty any more! She hisses, rising to meet Morningstar with her own savage talons...

OOC 2nd frame... Same target numbers as before. Roll of 15 this time. This boosts his effect value by 3 points to 14. 8 damage this time round, enough to...

The Vampire leapt at Morningstar, only for the former spy to swing with the weapon, catching her head and splattering it in a shower of black ichor across the wall! The body crashes to the floor, headless, and Morningstar turns to Buccaneer.

OOC Buccaneers weaponry (9) vs Vampires dex (5)=7 or over to hit. Roll of 18 means +4 to Buccaneers normal damage of 9 to make 13. Subtract the Vampires body of 6 to get ...7 damage. All over for the vampire. For now.

With a swipe of the rapier across the vampires throat the thing shrieks and goes down!

Buccaneer pulls a face. "So lovely they were too, before they sprouted fangs and tried to... would you look at that!"

He pointed to the beheaded vampire that Morningstar had dropped. Incredibly, tendrils were reaching from her throat, coiling together and expanding to create a spinal column and form the frame of a skull...

The others were recovering too it seemed, with the one Buccaneer had just dropped having sealed the wound in her throat and starting to stir!

"We can't kill these things!" cried Buccaneer, sounding rather panicked. "We need to get out before they come at us again!"

How did one kill something that was already dead?

OOC Intelligence roll of Morningstar - 15. He's seen Bela Lugosi in the 1931 film 'Dracula' and read the Bram Stoker book, plus he's heard tales and myths about how one deals with Vampires. So what you as a person know David, Morningstar will know.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Fri May 20 2011, 12:36

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer



"We can't kill these things!" cried Buccaneer, sounding rather panicked. "We need to get out before they come at us again!"

How did one kill something that was already dead?

OOC Intelligence roll of Morningstar - 15. He's seen Bela Lugosi in the 1931 film 'Dracula' and read the Bram Stoker book, plus he's heard tales and myths about how one deals with Vampires. So what you as a person know David, Morningstar will know..

Morningstar says a quick curse in Russian.

"These are real vampires, not powered Nazis dressed up as vampires," he says looking around the room. "We need to kill them the old fashion ways! Wooden stake through the heart. Cut off their heads. I forget if you have to take the severed head and put it on the other side of moving water or not. Some legends just say cut the head off. Or have them face direct sunlight as it will burn them up."

"Pull the posts off the four poster and use them as stakes," he commands, moving over to do the same.

actions: Grab a wooden post, make a stake, stake a vamp.
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Fri May 20 2011, 12:50

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer

Buccaneer looks doubtful but can barely take his eyes from the women. "Look! One is getting up!"

Unhurried, MorningStar feels strength surge through him just from being near his weapon. Grabbing the poster of one corner of the bed, he plants a foot against the base and splits it in half, a wicked looking shard that he turns to the rising Vampire with. CHUCK!

She screams then, an all too human sound that reverberates through the halls of this accursed place! Peterson pales, his face white in the guise of Errol Flynn, but breaks off more stakes.

In moments the grisly business is done. Buccaneer mutters "Perhaps we should burn them."

Morningstar looks about. The door to the corridor is iron bound and sturdy looking. They could combine their newfound near superhuman strength and try to break it down, ot leave by the way they came in and seek another entrance, by the roof, the main gate, another window or ground floor door.

An answering screech of anguish from somewhere in the castle suggested they were by no means alone...

OOC Vampires are dead...
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Fri May 20 2011, 14:54

"We better keep a couple of extra stakes," Morningstar suggests. "How do you want to do this? Try flying through another window? Try the roof? Or go through the front door? I really don't have a preference or suggestion at this point other than I think we are going to be doing a lot more fighting here before we are done."
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Fri May 20 2011, 21:25

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer

Buccaneer nodded at MorningStars suggestion and started breaking up what wood he could find, tearing strips of cloth to bind a dozen lengthy shards together. "Hopefully we won't need that many."

OOC you have enough wood for a dozen stakes each.

Leaning against the door Buccaneer listens, then has a thought. "It would be childs play for me to pick this lock. Don't ask me how, but when I see it the thing is just a bunch of tumblers waiting to be clicked. The question is, was the door locked to keep these out of the castle, or is there something worse in there that wants to get in?"

"Maybe we should try the stealth approach." he said, raising an eyebrow in doubt at MorningStars armour. "It doesn't sound like normal armour but..." He nipped over to the bed, ripped up a few sheets and smiled, turning to Morningstar. "Want to tie these to your feet?"

=========

"It was only a suggestion." said Buccaneer over the howl of the wind.

The pair had conferred and come to some mutual agreement that the castle was more likely to be occupied on the lower levels. Rather than trudge through room after empty room - after flying on the ghostly horse they'd circled the castle from above where the roof had rotted through. There was no sign of life or movement from what they could see of the exposed upper floors.

Landing, the Lore Knights walked around the castle for some entrance to the lower levels. "Say... hold on!" said Bucaneer.

Then he disappeared!

He reappeared a moment later and spoke "ThereisagatearoundthebackofthecastlebutitsguardedbytwomeninhoodedrobesandIdidn'tgettooclosebutdon'tworrytheyneversawmeand..." he paused, frowning. "I can run really fast!" he exclaimed!

MorningStar rolled his eyes beneath his helmet. Older than his companion by over half a decade the difference seemed much wider. Still, they were both discovering their powers and abilities (OOC offer still open to make Morningstar less of a bruiser. That said, in a straight up fight he's tough and dishes it out.) and after a while, they'd both be used to each others... 'quirks'

He followed Buccaneer around the base of the castle to pause at a corner, then glance around. Nearby a set of stone steps led directly underneath the castle walls to some kind of dungeon. There two shadowed figures stood guard...



OOC You are stood near the top of some worn stone stairs that lead underneath the castle. Dark and shadowy, the two figures stand at the bottom guarding what looks to be a stone door, like that of a tomb. Other than distraction, it's unlikely you could get down the stairs unseen as you'd be walking directly into their view. Of course, with superheroes there are always other ways round a problem...
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Sat May 21 2011, 00:51

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer


He reappeared a moment later and spoke "ThereisagatearoundthebackofthecastlebutitsguardedbytwomeninhoodedrobesandIdidn'tgettooclosebutdon'tworrytheyneversawmeand..." he paused, frowning. "I can run really fast!" he exclaimed!

MorningStar rolled his eyes beneath his helmet. Older than his companion by over half a decade the difference seemed much wider. Still, they were both discovering their powers and abilities (OOC offer still open to make Morningstar less of a bruiser. That said, in a straight up fight he's tough and dishes it out.) and after a while, they'd both be used to each others... 'quirks'

He followed Buccaneer around the base of the castle to pause at a corner, then glance around. Nearby a set of stone steps led directly underneath the castle walls to some kind of dungeon. There two shadowed figures stood guard...

ooc: I think bruiser fits his personality best for now. He just spent five years in a gulag where he had to bow and scrap and take whatever punishment that they wanted to give out and could never stand up and look his captors in the eye. Being able to go eye to eye with anyone and not having to back down because now he can take the punishment, is something he probably needs to do more than anything right now.

Anyman is super strength and the ability to absorb "normal" damage - bullets and such. Morningstar is supposed to be even greater in the nigh invulnerability area [hopefully we made him that way] but not able to pick up cars and use them like Putty can. So he will stand and bash away and stand and bash away and stand and bash away. Both have their own non-combat specialties to make them different heroes. In some ways, Buccaneer is a bad copy of Anyman - personality- and outlook-wise, the sort of the devil may care actor outlook. Gonna be fun to work against that "actorish" outlook of his.

"Right," Morninstar says, relighting his cigar, "here's my plan. I walk up to them and bash them silly unless they run away. You, in the meantime, sneak past them some how. Run fast. Swing on that line of yours. Whatever. And go see what they are guarding. Then get back to me so we can handle it together."

He takes a few puffs of his cigar, moves it to the corner of his mouth so it is out of his vision, settles his shield, armor and weapon in place, then steps around the corner and walks up towards the guards.

ooc: Oh gosh! I just realized that Buccaneer has a speciality power from the game called Tales from the Floating Vagabond! An Avalon Hill game produced in 1991. It was a comedy cross-time, cross-reality RPG. Every character got a Schtick. Each Schtick had a major and minor game effect.

The major effects of the Schticks were things like:
The Schwarzenegger Effect - seeming inability to feel pain so didn't have to roll to stay conscious and isnt' slowed own in the slightest until he takes enough damage and just drops into unconsciousness;
Rambo Effect - ranged weapons fired at close range always miss the character;
Roy Rogers Effect - he can ignore all movement and cover penalities when firing ranged weapons. So he has the same chance to shoot someone while riding his galloping horse at a man hiding behind a rock as he would both of them standing out in the open with no cover at all;
The Trench Coat Effect - the character can hide and hold things in his coat, duster, cloak, whatnot up to man-size and there are no bulges and an unlimited number of things can be hidden inside the trench coat - sort of like a portable TARDIS made into a coat but without the travel powers;
The Newton Effect - the negative effect, if the hero's worldview doesn't allow for certain things to happen, including other Schticks, if he makes his roll, then they don't work around him. So if he doesn't believe planes can fly, planes fall out of the sky around him;
The Merlin Effect - if the hero makes his roll, anytime he meets someone new, he just happens to know a heck of a lot about them - name, date of birth, mom's birthday and what she likes to eat for breakfast;
The Valentino Effect - If a member of the opposite sex fails to make their roll, they fall madly in love with the hero and will do almost ANYTHING for him/her except leave him alone. They may even knock him out during a fight to drag him to safety;
The By-law Effect - "A character with this Schtick is a member of one of the most powerful groups since the Illuminati; a Trade Union. Union rules take precedence over natural laws." Dues have to be paid regularly or you lose this ability. Seven unions to choose from with their own special benefits;
The Murphy Effect - Murphy's Law always operates around this hero - he can make things go wrong for someone else but then something will go wrong for him afterwards;
The Howard, Fine & Howard Effect - if two characters ape the slapstick routines of the Three Stooges, Marx Brother and other classic comedy teams, the smarts of their foes go down and they will believe almost anything;
John Doe Effect - hero has one of "those faces" everyone recognizes and everyone believes they have met him before or know him like a long lost friend or relative. As such folks will treat him like a trusted colleague or friend and will be willing to help out. Bad side, they may think he owes them money or fooled around with their wife....;
The Rogers and Hammerstein Effect - You either take Theme Music or Musical Aspect. Theme music means there is always background music playing for the hero, growing softer for love scenes, louder and more intense for chase scenes, etc. Downside it even goes on while he is trying to be sneaky. Musical Aspect is harder. The hero must sing at dramatic moments or for plot exposition. If everyone who can hear him fails to make their roll - friends and enemies alike, they must join in and sing along, even while in combat;
The Doolittle Effect - Animals just like the hero and want to be around him all the time and be petted by him. Even attack animals, if he makes a roll, will stop attacking and want to be petted by him. He can make them go away if he makes a roll. They won't help in combat unless he makes a harder roll;
The "It Would Take A Miracle" Effect - In times of great stress and life or death situations, the hero can have the most outlandish things happen to help him out but it must be phrased along the lines of "It would be a miracle if a herd of stampeding horses came by right now and scared off these folks" or "IF only there wass a used mattress dumping site at the bottom of this cliff the natives are about to throw us off of.;
The Escher Effect - hero can time and again defy the laws of Physics- temporarily;


This is what Buccaneer has - The Flynn Effect - grab rope, chandelier, curtain or what not and swing away from danger or in to the rescue. Always. Even in the desert with nothing around for miles and miles. Minor Effect, the hero can not take the easy way into or out of a situation. If there is a choice between walking through a front door and a stained glass window, he must always swing through the window.

One of the neater skills, literally, that I always loved was the "Looking Good At All Times" skill. No matter the situation you get thrown into, you come out of it looking good. Get thrown into a dirty wet trash compactor on the Death Star? When you leave it, your white dress is completely spot free and doesn't have a single wrinkle in it. lol!


avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Sun May 22 2011, 01:50

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer

OOC Sounds like a daft game, along the lines of TOON which was fun in the day but my players got tired of whacking each others characters heads with baseball bats, bombs etc. So we switched back to D&D, and the supposed team mates got back to the usual of challenging each other to duels to the death for spoils of treasure and what not ... Rolling Eyes

Peterson opened his mouth to speak, then stopped. He watched Morningstar light up a cigar, take a puff then with cigar in mouth stride out of cover and towards the two guards!

"Wait! What... I mean... we can't just..." he spluttered.

MorningStar was already hefting his mace!

The two guards were seemingly unphased though!

One stepped forward, the folds of its cloak falling back and mist billowing around its feet! "I am deathhhh!" it hissed. "And you... mortal... ARE DOOMED!"



OOC Before Morningstar gets to the creatures, they exude a power called AURA OF FEAR. This basically makes people wet themselves and freeze in terror or run in fear. Aura of fear (7) vs Influence of Morningstar (5). Rolled needed 11+5-7=9 or more. Rolled 14... This boosts the effect of AoF up to 9. HOWEVER, our hero has something called a Magic Shield, which in his case manifests as a shield wall of ghostly warriors against mystical attack! This boosts his defence from 5 to 10, and so the AoF attack (9) vs Morningstar defence (10) means...

Suddenly Morningstar felt something as he marched forwards! Some chill down his spine, fear creeping at the edge of his thoughts, a shivering in his bones! Before he could react though a shield wall of medieval knights formed around him! The ghostly warriors locked shields and like the sun bursting through clouds after rain, drove away the bad feeling! Morningstar took a puff on his cigar, smiled, and hefted his weapon!

OOC Roll of 6 vs Buccaneer. A roll like that against Morningstar would have seen Buccaneer race off in terror. As it is, he stands his ground and leaps into action a moment after Morningstar...

Calmly striding through the tangible fear effect the two demonic guardians exuded, Morningstar grinned and laughed "Who's first then lads?"

OOC Morningstar strides up to within swinging range as the wraiths attack (to no effect) with aura of fear. Initiative has only 1 frame to M-Star/Buccaneer, which he uses to swing his weapon at the foe! Not so easy to hit though - the opponents are using Dispersal which is a phasing type power. That bumps their opposing value to 13 and resistance value to 14! Morningstar attacks with 11 weaponry and 11 effect, so he will need a good roll to strike the insidious foe! 2D10...16! that bumps his effect value from 11 to 12. Against 14 though, it has little effect!

Morningstar swipes his weapon through the first of the Guardians and curses! The weapons seemed to drag - for an instant - on the ghostly form of the foe but then sweep straight through! How was he supposed to defeat a foe he couldn't touch? Though he didn't feel the fear effect, suddenly doubt shot through him like a bolt of lightning!

Meanwhile Buccaneer zipped like lightning to the door and turned to Morningstar "There'ssomekindoflockonitbutIthinkIcangetitopenifyoujustkeepthemoffme!" he said, talking too fast to keep up with!

OOC Both heroes have acted, now it's the 4 frames of the enemy! Frame 1. One moves over to Buccaneer. Frame 2, drops dispersal and attacks physically! Frame 3, physical attack! Frame 4 put dispersal back up! The one facing Morningstar is already in reach so drops dispersal, attacks 3 times and puts it back up again. If you want to dodge after being struck you can use future frames as per Golden Heroes rules. There are other options I can give you, like absorbing damage from your hero point total rather than taking it from health.

Morningstar saw a change in the creature. It was suddenly substantial! He could strike at it! Except it struck first with a speed he could scarcely believe!

OOC actually just a hopeless initiative roll for the good guys otherwise you could've caught it before it turned insubstantial again. Right, attack vs Morningstar. The creatures have 7 Dex vs M-Stars 7 Dex. The creature is using Magic Blast (of 9APs) with a range of touch which would normally bypass all physical defences of even someone like Superman. Morningstar is not like Superman though Smile Rolls double 2 and 1+5=10. Miss. Double 3 (!) plus 1 and 5. 12. Hit, but not enough to penetrate M-Stars Magic Shielded spirit (RV 10 against the creatures EV 9). Roll of 4+9, 13. Hit, boosts Magic Blast to 10. Not enough to overcome M-Stars RV of 10.


The creature roars in frustration as it's death touch swipes at Morningstar, only to be rebuffed by that ghostly shield wall of warriors again! though some of the warriors dissipate with a silent cry, others take their place and the guardian resumes its ghostly form again!

OOC Against Buccaneer. Dex of Guardian (7) vs Dex of Buccaneer (9) Two attacks. 9+6, 15. Hit +1 boost to Magic blast (to 10). Buccaneer has spirit of 5 and Magic Shield of only 3 (RV 8 total). Damage is 10-8=2 spirit damage.

Despite a ghostly shield wall forming around Buccaneer he cries out as a hand pierces his chest, leaving no wound but the fledgling hero wounded and clutching his chest!

OOC Attack again. 6+8,14. Hit. EV 9 vs RV8, 1 spirit damage. The Guardian then resumes Dispersal. Buccaneer is on 2/5 spirit. At zero he drops unconscious.

Buccaneer staggers then turns to Morningstar "W-w-we c-cannot fight these th-things! They are g-ghosts!" he splutters.

OOC I assume Morningstar pounds away. I will use a hero point on his first two blows to add an extra D10 to the dice. Then pick which two of three dice to use and drop the worst die roll. M-Stars attack (weaponry 11) vs Guardians OV (13). 7, 7, 1. Drop the one, take the double 7! Then a roll of 9+8! Total roll 14+17=31! That's +9 to M-Stars effect value of 11, boosting it to 20! (that would hurt Superman...). 20-14=6 damage! The Creature is dropped from 8 body to 2.

Angry, Morningstar swipes with his enchanted mace and connects, even though the ghost is intangible! It screams as ghostly mist is ripped from its form!

OOC He presses on! Again, another hero point spent to add to the dice pool. Not so good. 2, 5, 4. Picking best two, 5 and 4, 9, missed.

This time Morningstar swipes naught but air, connecting with his foe but finding only mist to slow down his mace!

Finally he picks his spot and swings again!

OOC We'll add another 2 hero Points this time, to buy 2 dice extra. 4D10, pick the best two. 2,3,5,5. Take the double 5 then roll again (due to rolling a double). Double 6! 10+9! Another monster roll! 10+12+19=41! +14 to his effect value! This boosts it from 11 to 25. Such a blow would shatter mountains! 25-RV of creature (14)=11. It's all over for Morningstars foe!


Sensing it still had a role to play in the coming battle, the creature waited for the mortals next strike... It never saw it coming!

THOOOM!!!


The weapon smashed through the form, dispersing it like mist and shattering the rock beneath it! The ground trembled all about, and Buccaneer cried out "Whoa! I felt that!"

High up on the castle loose rocks began to tumble, and crows took flight!

OOC Inspired by his comrade Buccaneer attacks 3 times. He spends 2 hero points on his first blow, and 1 each on his next two. His Weaponry is his acting value (9) vs Opposing Value of Guardian (13). He's up against it! Needs 15 or more to hit! First rolls 8,2,1,6. taking best two, 8,6 total 14. Miss.

Buccaneer lashes out with his sword, connecting only with mist as he sweeps the blade through the Guardians form!

OOC Next roll 8,10,4 is better. 18 (from 10 and Cool giving +1 effect value. His effect value is boosted by 1 (from 9 to 10) vs the resistance value of the Guardian (14) means he needs higher than that though... Next attack 10,8,1, same again.

"Curses! I should trade this thing in for a mace!" splutters Buccaneer. His attempts to take his foe down have failed! Still, one faces against two now!

OOC Initiative 2 frames to the good guys. Morningstar ploughs another 2 hero points (don't worry about the total on the sheet, this is a test session for the most part anyway. Will be writing more stuff up as I go) into his blows. His AV11 vs OV13 means he needs 13 or more to hit. First roll 2,3,1,4. No good there! Miss! Next.. 10,10,10,3! Pick two 10s and roll the double again... 4+8. 32 total! +9 to Morningstars EV11 boosting it to 20, less the creatures 14RV =6 damage!

The creature screams in agony as once more the titanic power of Morningstar smashes into it's very soul! It writhes in agony and knows that it, too, will face oblivion in torment if it falls like its brother!

OOC Same expenditure by Buccaneer. In hindsight you could have used a team attack, so I will apply it to Buccaneer for this attack. AV9 vs OV13, less 2 from the team attack so it's 9 vs 11. 10,6,4,2. 16. Not enough to hurt the creature. 10,4,4,1 for next roll. Even though 10 is a higher die we'll take the two 4s, as they are a double and allow a free roll. Comes up with 3+8. 19 total. Not quite enough for Buccaneer to harm the thing!

Fearing that awful mace, the creature decides that the charge set it by its masters is of a smaller consequence than its blighted soul facing torment for eternity! It soars off towards the mist covered woods around the castle!

Buccaneer shivers, and turns to Morningstar. "If not for you, and that mace..." he shudders. Then, composing himself, he sets to with the lock. "It needs a stone key of some kind. Still, with my skill, who needs a key when..."

OOC he uses Thief 9 vs OV of the lock (5) which is based on the skill of the locksmith. Roll of 10 and 4. Click!

Buccaneer bows and waves Morningstar in. The great stone door slowly falls open and the hero raises his weapon, the slight glow from it lighting the way. He steps into a corridor, ancient and worn. The stones are stained from water ingress, and smoother by the passage of feet in both directions, to the left and right.



"Which way?" asks Buccaneer.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Sun May 22 2011, 07:44

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer



"Which way?" asks Buccaneer..


ooc: That was a pretty involved combat and is starting to make sense to me. Like the idea of team effort, sort of like flanking in D&D.

"Which way," Morningstar says, puffing on his cigar, "why the sinister way of course! Left!"
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Sun May 22 2011, 18:31

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer

Buccaneer nodded and whispered "We need some means of light. I don't suppose that we..." He stopped, only a few paces into the corridor. Morningstar was about to ask him what was wrong when Buccaneer grinned. "I can see in the dark! Perfectly! Like a cat!" he laughed.

His laughter echoed through the halls, and he remembered himself, covering his mouth. "oops."



OOC our heroes are the blue dot. The red dot is this fellow, guarding the intersection of passages:




Buccaneer pulled back. "Seems awfully blue round the gills" (OOC I realised I greyscaled it but the character is green skinned) "He's just stood there, minding his own business. Maybe we could pump him for information, see what's going on around here, though I'll admit I don't recognise that armour or anything about him from any history books. Something odd is going on, for sure!"

Buccaneer paused, then added "But busting heads with that awful thing seems to have worked so far. Perhaps the 'smash first questions later if anything is left' approach that has served us well will continue to do so..."
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  DavidMcMahon on Mon May 23 2011, 15:00

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer


Buccaneer paused, then added "But busting heads with that awful thing seems to have worked so far. Perhaps the 'smash first questions later if anything is left' approach that has served us well will continue to do so..."

"After spending five years in a gulag," Morningstar says, finally revealing a bit of his past, "I very much like smashing anyone who stands in my way."

"Tell you what though, why don't you zip ahead and talk to him? I will just casually stroll up to him and if he seems uncooperative by the time I get there, I will smash him. How's that for a plan?"
avatar
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Posts : 1721
Join date : 2010-05-10
Age : 57
Location : Raleigh, NC, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Admin on Mon May 23 2011, 23:29

MORNINGSTAR & Buccaneer


Buccaneer raised an eyebrow and shrugged. "As good a plan as any!" he laughed, and sped round the corner to approach the warrior. Up close it was clear he towered over the Lore Knight.

"I say, old chap. You look like you need to get out more, what? Got a bit of a 'glasgow tan'?" he said, referring to the fact that the warrior looked to have never seen the sun thanks to the blue tinge of his skin. "What's all this about here then?"

"You smell... alive..."
grinned the warrior. His teeth were filed to points. "I hunger... you will appease me!"

"Your funeral mate!" quipped Buccaneer. "just one thing. When my friend gets here with that spikey mace he's going to beat several colours of snot out of you, so I'd rather you tell me what this place is... ooops!"

The large sword swept down, but Buccaneer deftly and acrobatically dodged aside!

"Didn't know I could do that!" he laughed. "But I'm glad I can!" he looked at the black blade of the thing facing him. It was strange, not like metal at all, a boiling black shadow that swirled and rippled. It had sunk several inches into the floor, but made no sound nor a mark on stone or blade!

"Taste the soul blade!" snarled the warrior!

"Well I don't give much hope out that you'll survive the kicking you're about to receive so I'll ask again... what's going on here?" said Buccaneer, mindful of that blade.

The warrior ignored his question, fishing out a handful of something form a pouch on his belt... With a clatter he tossed a dozen teeth on the floor, which crackled and sprouted like plants - save into skeletal warriors armed with swords!

"There's something you don't see every day..." muttered Buccaneer, pulling out his sword. "Morningstar? A hand?"

OOC There are a dozen skeletal warriors (picture to follow when I dig out a Harryhausen picture to doctor) and this fellow with the soul blade. We're going to be trying out multi attacks. These let a high powered guy like you take on 'mooks' like these skeletons with a single roll and take out a few of them - hopefully. It's harder to do, but when the opponents aren't very powerful it's a simple way to clear a room... I assume Morningstar will walk straight up with any further ado and start smiting left and right, hip and thigh?
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 4670
Join date : 2010-04-27
Age : 46
Location : Leeds, England

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Lore Knights ride again! Morning Star Issue #1

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum