The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World War II - Putty Issue #2

2 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 5 Empty Re: World War II - Putty Issue #2

Post  Admin Tue Apr 19 2011, 12:38

CODENAME: ANYMAN
AGENT: LT. CMDR LANCE ALLARD

Also: Buccaneer (Harry Peterson) (Lore Knight) and Nowhere Boy (Former Lore Knight known as Wraith, now a Vanguardian)

Anyman swung, connecting with his fist on the Nazis chin. The big man grunted, then laughed. "Is that all you have, little man? You will need more than bandages when I am finished with you!" he laughs.

OOC Hit, 12 (max!) damage +15 27htc, reduced by dividers to 9htc.

Anymans follow up punch caused the Nazi to laugh as it sailed wide, and the Nazi flexed his own muscles. "It's time to..."

He was silenced as Anyman delivered a jaw shattering blow to the Nazi which left him weak of knee for the moment until he recovered, rubbing his jaw and shaking it off. "ARRRRGGGH!" he spat, blood running from his mouth down the front of his pristine white uniform!

OOC 20! 23htc, +10 damage from the crit, and dividers reduced by 1. 16htc. He's taken 25htc. You have his attention.

Everyone had turned at the sound of the punch, and the Nazi soldiers looked at one another in shock. The Knight called out in German to his comrade, whilst the woman started chanting.

Buccaneer swung in on the end of his ghostly rope, and shouted "How's about a kiss, love?" as he scooped the sorceress up, continued to swing, and tossed her at the end of the arc with superhuman strength! She screamed, tumbling head over heels and soaring out across the water, landing with a splash near the submarine! "Tally ho!" he bellowed, with a cheeky glance at the sorceress spluttering in the water. He landed on the snow covered beach and immediately had to somersault backwards with a series of flips that saw him crash into the waves and disappear from view! Somewhere from out in the water the sorceress laughed, then considered the freezing water and her heavy robes, and shouted "HELP!" before splashing about.

The Knight turned to Anyman, about to stride over. Suddenly he stopped and looked about. "ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!" he screamed, and Nowhere Boy became visible, his hand plunged through the Knights chest! "Believe me, Nazi, this has every chance of going wrong for me, but it's worth it to see you suffer!" hissed the youngster as he became partially tangible, something he recalled from his days as Wraith.

The Big Nazi scythed at Anyman with huge fists, whilst his own troops tried to aim, then pulled their guns up before they could shoot the attackers - the combatants were too close! He swung, missed! Anyman ducked, then he leant back and dodged as the Nazi swept wide with a punch again!

Getting confident, Anyman considered taunting the bigger man, hoping to get him enraged and careless.

CRACK!

OOC hit, 3 damage +20 damage bonus, reduced to 7 by dividers. i assume you don't bother dodging or parrying...

Rubbing his chin, Anyman smiled behind the bandages. The big man was stronger than he was, though not by much, and Anyman was the better fighter - at least he was keeping his head whilst the other man raged! He glanced over at Buccaneer, saw where he'd gone into the water.

Suddenly the water started to boil and erupt, and before anyone could say anything... FWOOOSH!

World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 5 29zbl9e

A ghostly, ethereal vessel smashed up from the depths, even though the water was barely 4m deep! There were shouts and cries of alarm from the Nazis and Anyman cursed - upstaged again!

There at the wheel was Buccaneer! Waving to Anyman he flung the wheel about, and the great, ghostly ship turned to face side on to the U-Boat... as cannons popped from hatches along the side of the ship!

Nowhere Boy spluttered "I never saw that before..." Whilst the Knight he was attacking cried out, then stumbled away across the beach, lashing out with his sword and hitting only air! Nowhere Boy turned, spat "Damn!" and added "Come back Nazi! I'm not finished with you, scumbag!"

Turning back to the ghostly ship, Anyman saw Peterson, as Buccaneer, intended to face off against the U-Boat - and the crew were making ready their deck gun!

OOC you have 1 frame, then initiative 7 heroes, 1 bad guys. Another 3 frames. The Nazis are in disarray but tides can quickly turn, as Anyman well knows!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 19 2011, 22:59

CODENAME: ANYMAN
Also: Buccaneer (Harry Peterson) (Lore Knight) and Nowhere Boy (Former Lore Knight known as Wraith, now a Vanguardian)

Nowhere Boy spluttered "I never saw that before..." Whilst the Knight he was attacking cried out, then stumbled away across the beach, lashing out with his sword and hitting only air! Nowhere Boy turned, spat "Damn!" and added "Come back Nazi! I'm not finished with you, scumbag!"

Turning back to the ghostly ship, Anyman saw Peterson, as Buccaneer, intended to face off against the U-Boat - and the crew were making ready their deck gun!

OOC you have 1 frame, then initiative 7 heroes, 1 bad guys. Another 3 frames. The Nazis are in disarray but tides can quickly turn, as Anyman well knows!.

"Dammit," Anyman muttered while the Demon Inside just laughed and Putty made clucking soothing noises. "If that thing can actually do damage to a U-Boat, it will scare the bejeezus out of all the U-Boat captains," he said grudingly.

"Oh well, he can take the seas," Anyman says, turning back to his foe, "While I take care of you and your little minions." He says this last bit in German in case the soldiers don't understand English.

actions: Whale away on the big guy. Not going to bother dodging unless I feel my knees going weak. Anyman is more of a slugger fighter than a finesse fighter.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 21 2011, 16:59

CODENAME: ANYMAN E12 S30 D10 V12 htk46/46 (/4) htc46/46 (/3) DC4 WC2 D2d6htc1d6-6htk (+15) Powers: Str, Shp Shift, Skills, Armour

Anyman continued to pound away...

OOC And what a set of swings! 20, 20, 17 and...2 Can't make 'em all... Anyway, the two crits reduce dividers and add +10 damage apiece. Damage rolls are 7, and 9. Add +15 damage bonus to each totals 16htc and 17htc after dividers. Totalled damage the big man has taken is 58. Turns out Anyman only needed the first two swings!

SMASH!

A devastating right cross spins the nazi on the spot, leaving him facing the wrong direction. He turns... into an uppercut that sends him through the air to crash into the group of soldiers levelling their guns at Anyman! Like a bowling ball scattering skittles they are tumbled left and right, and Anyman grins, satisfied he's taken centre stage again! Speaking of which... he turns to see Buccaneer take on the U-boat!

The cannons boom, and the smoke clears to reveal... miss? Buccaneer himself cries out, "Hey! What the deuce? How can I miss from this range?" There's not a mark on the U-boat!

The submarine fires in turn, and the heavy machine guns chops the ghostly ship into wooden shards! Peterson seems to feel every shot as he howls in agony, and the ship dissipates into smoke, Buccaneers limp form falling into the water!

"The damned fool!" hissed Nowhere Boy. "He didn't miss! There was something about the ship... the cannonballs target living creatures with souls only! They ignored the metal hull of the U-boat! He needed to target that gun first though!"

Suddenly a blade thrust through Nowhere Boys chest from behind and he cried out, looking as the steel jutted a foot from his sternum! There was no blood and he fell to the side, clutching his chest though there seemed no evidence of a wound. Behind him the armoured Nazi laughed "Boy, you face the cream of the Nazi Ubermensch! I simply willed my sword to affect your ghostly form and now you are at my mercy!"

The woman dragged herself from the sea, completely waterlogged and bedraggled, coughing and staggering with the effort of swimming in ice cold water. Anyman saw Nowhere Boy was wounded and down. In the sea, Buccaneer was floating face down in the water whilst a small rowing boat full of Nazi sailors was launched, and the Nazi soldiers on the beach were scrambling to their feet, soon to regain weapons!

'As usual, everything is left to you. A starring role was what you wanted...the question is, how will the final act play out?' cackled the demonic voice...

OOC you have 2 frames to act. You will have to move to be able to engage in HtH combat though...

Last edited by Admin on Sun Apr 24 2011, 18:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 'A starring was more'... what? D'oh. Made sense of sentence)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Apr 24 2011, 18:52

ooc; sorry for the delay, never got a message telling me there were new messages.

The sailors launching a boat, are they going after Buccaneer or heading for the beach? If the beach, I will jump into the sea and try to save Buccaneer from drowing. If him, then I will go fight the armored guy with the sword hurting Nowhere Boy.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 25 2011, 19:09

CODENAME: ANYMAN E12 S30 D10 V12 htk46/46 (/4) htc46/46 (/3) DC4 WC2 D2d6htc1d6-6htk (+15) Powers: Str, Shp Shift, Skills, Armour

OOC don't worry about delays - all this month my son is off school and juggling time between what I have to do - and what I want to do - will be tricky. He's back at school for a few days tomorrow then off again for the royal wedding, so peace and quiet at last!

The Vanguardian glanced over - the Nazis were rowing towards the limp form of Buccaneer, which was in a way a good thing - if they wanted to pepper him with bullets they could have done it from the deck of the U-Boat!

Anyman turned and moved towards the armoured Nazi who grabbed Nowhere Boy by the hood and shoved his head back, point of the sword hovering at his throat!

"I... I'm only a kid, mister!" squealed the boy. Anyman got the distinct impression that the youngsters personality had risen to the fore, not unusual given the 'noise' and confusion a superhero like Nowhere Man would have going on in his head!

"You are an enemy, child. The third reich destroys its enemies! So... D...ooof!"

Amyman cannoned a gloved right hand into the side of the Nazis helmet. Though little damage had been done (OOC 18, hit, 23htc, reduced by dividers) it was enough to get the Nazis attention!

OOC intiative 3 heroes, 8 bad guys. 3 frames to the bad guys... The armoured Knight strikes at you with the sword, with 19, 15, and 4. The four misses, the other two hit. Any response? Bear in mind the weapon affected Nowhere Boy whilst partially intangible. The sorceress also cats a spell at Anyman - a magic strike. This isn't something that can be parried (it ignores dividers) so unless Anyman wants to dodge he'll have to take 20htc (ignores dividers) on the chin. This could be a rough round for our hero! I'll leave you to decide responses then determine the Knights damage from the two hits on Anyman.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Apr 26 2011, 17:39

Amyman cannoned a gloved right hand into the side of the Nazis helmet. Though little damage had been done (OOC 18, hit, 23htc, reduced by dividers) it was enough to get the Nazis attention!

OOC intiative 3 heroes, 8 bad guys. 3 frames to the bad guys... The armoured Knight strikes at you with the sword, with 19, 15, and 4. The four misses, the other two hit. Any response? Bear in mind the weapon affected Nowhere Boy whilst partially intangible. The sorceress also cats a spell at Anyman - a magic strike. This isn't something that can be parried (it ignores dividers) so unless Anyman wants to dodge he'll have to take 20htc (ignores dividers) on the chin. This could be a rough round for our hero! I'll leave you to decide responses then determine the Knights damage from the two hits on Anyman.

Going to be like any man and suck it up and take the damage. pig

Yelling in surprise over the pain the attack the woman caused him, Anyman tries to place the Nazi with the sword between himself and her as he works to take down the swordsman.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 26 2011, 23:13

World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 5 I3x8om

Also: Harry Peterson (Lore Knight in waiting) and Nowhere Boy (Former Lore Knight known as Wraith, now a Vanguardian)
And: Earl St John of Caer Alwyn, custodian of the Lore Knights 'Temple'

OOC He takes a total of 31Htc this round! Talk about toughing it out? Sheesh... The Armoured Nazi is using a Stunner (his sword) able to reduce dividers and only lousy rolls (7 and 4 on 3d6 apiece) stopped things from getting worse, but the Sorceress' attack was a good roll. Evens out then...

Anyman staggered - this wasn't his usual kind of fight! Normally he would strike from the shadows, pounding with steel hard fists on yielding Nazi flesh! The woman would be a problem - as would his companions unless they got their act together!

'Call on the Dark power!' hissed a voice from within. 'You cannot allow yourself to be taken! A dark hand is at work here, something these petty foes know naught of! If the Shadow Demons get these swords of power and use them, they can create their own Dark Lore Knights, evil versions of yourselves and much better suited to bonding with a Shadow Demon symbiote than simply using a mortal and wearing its form out in hours!'

Anyman circled, feeling blood seep through his bandages. The Armoured nazi snarled something in German, and Anyman didn't bother translating - clearly some insult and not worth wasting breath by replying!

As he moved around he saw the injured boy look up. "I heard your friend too. The voices inside of me are squabbling over what I should do, but I won't leave you!" he squeaked in his 10 year olds voice. "But my body... this body... so weak!"

Anyman ground his teeth, delivering three triphammer blows to his opponents metal armoured form!

OOC All hits, damage rolls 12, 4 and 6. Added to +45 (damage bonus) and divided by 2 (from armour) equals 33htc. The Nazi crashes to the floor!

Ramming home his fists time and again into the arrogant Nazi he finally delivers n uppercut that sees the armoured man lifted from the floor! Coupled with previous injuries it's enough to see him senseless! The armour and the sword both fade into mist, leaving him shivering in the cold in his long johns!

Suddenly the battle swung again! The youngster became intangible and invisible again, and the woman screamed in German for her remaining troops to cut Anyman to pieces with machine guns!

OOC before that happens you get to add another power/grade as your body adapts in the heat of combat! The power you choose may make some difference to what happens next, so I'll resolve the Nazi attacks after you choose.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Apr 27 2011, 04:11

Also: Harry Peterson (Lore Knight in waiting) and Nowhere Boy (Former Lore Knight known as Wraith, now a Vanguardian)
And: Earl St John of Caer Alwyn, custodian of the Lore Knights 'Temple'

Ramming home his fists time and again into the arrogant Nazi he finally delivers n uppercut that sees the armoured man lifted from the floor! Coupled with previous injuries it's enough to see him senseless! The armour and the sword both fade into mist, leaving him shivering in the cold in his long johns!

Suddenly the battle swung again! The youngster became intangible and invisible again, and the woman screamed in German for her remaining troops to cut Anyman to pieces with machine guns!

OOC before that happens you get to add another power/grade as your body adapts in the heat of combat! The power you choose may make some difference to what happens next, so I'll resolve the Nazi attacks after you choose..

ooc: Had three choices in mind - stretching, grade two strength or grade two armor. But I really think I'm going to have to go with Stretching, even though armor would better save my butt here.

"Don't like hitting ladies," Anyman said, "but you are no lady!"

With that, he starts to charge at her and reaches for her but strangely even before he got into touching range, his arms stretched out and he swung at her.

"Yes! Finally," Putty crows, "you can stretch now!"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 27 2011, 22:39

Anyman
Htc 15/46 (/3) Htk 46/46 (/4) Punch WC2 2D6 (+15)
Along with:
Nowhere Boy (wounded, Intangible, Invisible) and Buccaneer (Lore Knight, unconscious!)

OOC The Nazi soldiers get their turn before you discover you can stretch, but you may need the stretching power after they've shot you if it goes badly!

The Nazi soldiers, reacting to orders from the metahuman woman lined up. There were four in a position to fire whilst the others ran towards the huddled and terrified academics who still weren't sure what was going on!

Blood had already spattered the white snow across the beach - how much more would stain it?

The Nazis emptied clip upon clip at Anyman! He was quick though (OOC lousy rolls help. 1 hit from 4. 14htk and 9 htc, near max damage though. Dividers reduced to 3htk and 3htc. Any response?) and not likely to stand in place as they shot at him!

BRARATATATATATATATATATATA!!!

Anyman ducked and rolled, feeling bullets zip past! Several thudded into his body, and he felt a small trickle of blood under his clothes - but not enough to bother him! Lance Allard was discovering how amazing his body really was... but would it hold out against those ranged against him?

OOC Initiative 9 heroes, 7 bad guys. You have a frame to act. There are a few (3) Nazi soldiers guarding the academics up against the cliff face, Nowhere Boy has vanished, the dinghy has reached Buccaneer and hauled him aboard, and two Nazi Metahumans are down. Four Nazi soldiers are in shooting range of Anyman as is the Nazi sorceress who has zapped him once. He can't take another! Talk about being in a fix! If you take the hit you are at:

Anyman
Htc 12/46 (/3) Htk 43/46 (/4) Punch WC2 2D6 (+15)

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 28 2011, 01:08

Anyman
Htc 15/46 (/3) Htk 46/46 (/4) Punch WC2 2D6 (+15)
Along with:
Nowhere Boy (wounded, Intangible, Invisible) and Buccaneer (Lore Knight, unconscious!)

Taking on the magic gal with my only frame.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 28 2011, 15:35

ANYMAN
World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 5 Erzl7d
With Nowhere Boy (Invisible, Intangible, wounded) and Buccaneer (unconscious, captured by Nazi sailors)

Suddenly Anymans arm lashed out - from 20 feet away! With a SMECK! it spun the sorceress from her feet! She looked dazed, (OOC hit, 20htc) though able to continue.

Then Nowhere Boy appeared, and the Nazi soldiers turned their guns on the wounded youngster! Blood ran freely from a wound in his shoulder and he looked weak on his legs! What on earth was he doing?

BRATATATATATATATATATATA!!!!!

The machines guns rang out, a hail of bullets and sparks spitting out... and through Nowhere Boy!

There was a scream, then a wet thud in the snow as the Sorceress was cut down!

One of the Nazi soldiers barked an order, and several began running towards the downed metahuman. He then pulled a grenade, twisted the cap and tossed it towards Anyman!

OOC roll, hit, any response? It's about to go off, and Anyman is on his last legs, at least as far as Htc. If he withstands the explosion he gets his remaining (3) frames less any used to parry/dodge the blast.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Apr 28 2011, 22:17

ANYMAN

With Nowhere Boy (Invisible, Intangible, wounded) and Buccaneer (unconscious, captured by Nazi sailors)

There was a scream, then a wet thud in the snow as the Sorceress was cut down!

One of the Nazi soldiers barked an order, and several began running towards the downed metahuman. He then pulled a grenade, twisted the cap and tossed it towards Anyman!

OOC roll, hit, any response? It's about to go off, and Anyman is on his last legs, at least as far as Htc. If he withstands the explosion he gets his remaining (3) frames less any used to parry/dodge the blast.

Not sure my options here. Do I have time to grab and throw it? Am I the only one inside its blast radius or are the civilians inside it as well?

If no time to grab and throw, then duck and cover behind a rock or a depression in the ground or using the body of any nearby fallen Nazi. Unless some of the civilians are inside it blast radius, then I'm going to do the stupidly heroic thing and throw my body on top of the grenade. affraid
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Apr 30 2011, 00:08

ANYMAN

OOC I'll offer you a different option...A parry with stretching, of sorts, and possibly a trick he can perfect in the future, maybe even with bullets?

Anyman reached to grab the grenade, knowing that even if he caught it the thing would go off in his hand! He glanced to the side, and saw two of the civilians on the floor with hands covering their heads - no chance for them!

With a muttered curse he waited for the inevitable, only to have a flash of inspiration, as the voice from within called out 'Send it back at him!' with a mental picture of the intent in his mind! Anyman spread wide, like a sheet - or trampoline - and the grenade sunk into him, then sprung back at the thrower! The man gaped, and was about to shout something... but the grenade went off in their midst!

Anyman looked up.

Nowhere Boy stepped out of the Sorceress' body, and she slumped to the snow covered beach! Scattered all over were Nazi soldiers! The unconscious Nazi metahumans lay sprawled in the snow, and looking out to sea, Anyman saw Buccaneers' limp form dragged aboard the U-Boat! The mans inexperience had cost him dear!

One of the sailors held a loudhailer to his mouth and called out, in surprisingly good, albeit accented, English. "We make a trade!"

Their gun was now trained on the beach. "You give us our people back, we give you your Errol Flynn actor man back, and we leave without opening fire! No trade? Then we open fire, right now, and kill everyone on the beach!"

OOC Combat is over for the moment, though depending on what Anyman does...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun May 01 2011, 03:10

ANYMAN

One of the sailors held a loudhailer to his mouth and called out, in surprisingly good, albeit accented, English. "We make a trade!"

Their gun was now trained on the beach. "You give us our people back, we give you your Errol Flynn actor man back, and we leave without opening fire! No trade? Then we open fire, right now, and kill everyone on the beach!"

OOC Combat is over for the moment, though depending on what Anyman does....

"Damn," Anyman subvocalizes.

"Yeah," Putty says back. "The whole point of this thing was to keep the swords out of the Nazis hands. And now they have it. Too far to stretch to try and save him so what do we do?"

"Fine," Anyman says outloud. "A fair swap. Your boys go stand over there with their Ubermen and you drop the Buccaneer over on the beach there."

He points to two directions about 40 meters apart.

"We will stand right here in the middle. Deal?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 02 2011, 13:27

ANYMAN

The Nazis glance at one another. Some hold grenades in their hands, with others, it's machine guns. The beach looks like a battleground, with craters and blood spattered about on the soft snow. The waves lapped against the shore and an icy wind blew bitter on those still standing. The Captain of the U-Boat walked up, his hands at his sides and away from his luger. He called out to Anyman "This should not happen. We have no quarrel with England, and yet... orders are orders. These people..." he looked at the slumped forms of the defeated metahumans "Have no honour. They were given power, and they abuse it, like children, pushing others around with arrogance and disrespect. They take what they want, when they want, and no one can stop them, except you."

He saluted then, and added "I was the first mate on the submarine until my recent promotion. That one..." he said, pointing to the big man "Killed the Captain when Jurgen questioned his orders. I will take them back to Germany, where they will be punished for their failure." He nodded, gesturing for his people to gather them. He looked at Anyman, and stepped in closer, away from his own officers. "I do not know who I fight for anymore!" he hissed. "My duty says to fight for my Fatherland, and I do so... but there are strangers... people like you... creatures from..." he looked up, shaking his head "And more. Creatures from legend, like... like out of Hans Christian Anderson. Trolls?" he said, searching for the word. "There is no honour in them. Each wants something for their own ends, and Der Fuhrer is too blind to see!" Aware his words are treasonous, he straightened up, and barked an order "Bring that one to the beach. This is an honourable exchange of prisoners." The sailors looked doubtful, but did as told.

Anyman looked around. He'd won. Nowhere Boy was still invisible and intangible somewhere, but wounded. Buccaneer was in one piece, but battered. When he'd conjured the ghostly ship he'd not considered the thing might be an extension of himself, and against modern weaponry, he would have to beware! He would learn. Allard glanced back at the scientists, and then up at the cliff. Earl St Johns was stood at the top, dressed in what appeared to be some kind of robe, with fur lined cape about him, flying in the wind. He looked down at the mess, then at the Nazis taking their wounded and dead with them. After that, he disappeared from view, appearing minutes later walking down a steep mountain cliff path with the aid of a stick.

"Are we really going to let them go?" asked a young voice near Allards ear. "They'll be back, and thanks to torturing those academics, they know where this place is. They won't give up!"

Anyman looked at the Nazis loading wounded onto the rowing boat, and the soldiers still stood about on guard with weapons ready. He had a choice to make...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon May 02 2011, 13:37

ANYMAN

Anyman looked around. He'd won. Nowhere Boy was still invisible and intangible somewhere, but wounded. Buccaneer was in one piece, but battered. When he'd conjured the ghostly ship he'd not considered the thing might be an extension of himself, and against modern weaponry, he would have to beware! He would learn. Allard glanced back at the scientists, and then up at the cliff. Earl St Johns was stood at the top, dressed in what appeared to be some kind of robe, with fur lined cape about him, flying in the wind. He looked down at the mess, then at the Nazis taking their wounded and dead with them. After that, he disappeared from view, appearing minutes later walking down a steep mountain cliff path with the aid of a stick.

"Are we really going to let them go?" asked a young voice near Allards ear. "They'll be back, and thanks to torturing those academics, they know where this place is. They won't give up!"

Anyman looked at the Nazis loading wounded onto the rowing boat, and the soldiers still stood about on guard with weapons ready. He had a choice to make....

"Dammit," Anyman said outloud. "I really don't want them getting away but ... I don't want to sink to their level either. We did agree on a prisoner exchange, which really means letting them get underway and try to get home. However ... dammit! We aren't in shape to go after them once they get underway. The best I think we can do honorably is get in touch with the Royal Air Corps and the Navy and let them know a U-Boat is here and see if they can sink it."

"It's the only think I can think of that doesn't darken us even further than the war will do to us. Unless you have a better idea?"
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 02 2011, 14:49

ANYMAN

Nowhere Boy, still invisible, hissed "All fair in love... but this is war Anyman. Any notions of honour should be left for duelling. They were intent on killing any they needed to get what they wanted. Remember what you asked me to search out?"

The prisoner transfer continued, and the Captain finally walked up to Anyman. "I believe I have heard of you. German high command states you are the number one threat to the Fatherland. It seems you get around, sir! I thank you for you... honour. I believe we held the upper hand, but having seen you dispatch those... comrades." he said, using the term loosely "I find myself instead.." he glanced about, making sure his men weren't in earshot "Thanking you. Jurgen, you see, was my brother. Until we meet again, sir, when we shall doubtless be enemies!" He stepped sharply, saluted and glanced about. "It is true about what they say about the weather here! Still, this place has... something. An allure. They will be back, but, god willing, I shall stick to my assigned tasks... if I am not shot for cowardice..." His words trailed away, and the Captain made his way onto the rowing boat where his men set off towards the Submarine.

=========

Minutes later the old Earl joined Anyman...

"Strange." said the old man. "This staff should allow me to erase the recent memories of all on that boat, but it's not working? I wonder why? I stated the incantations correctly, I'm sure of it!" At Anymans wide eyed look the Earl grinned. "It's a kind of magic." he chuckled. "What? You don't think the sacred home of the Lore Knights would be guarded by a doddering old man on his last legs do you?"

He looked down at Buccaneer, who was just stirring. Peterson had reverted to his normal self, and he sat up in the snow, drenched and shivering. "He has much to learn." said St John. "I'll teach him, and there'll be others. I can hear the call going out but..."

He looked sad then, and Anyman knew why. "One of the swords has gone. And this land has lost a champion."

'Our sister. She has departed.'
rasped a voice inside. 'Whether she will return? I cannot say. In war there are casualties. She defeated her enemies and will sell her life dearly if need be, but it will not come to that.'

Nowhere Boy appeared, and walked up the beach, still clutching his wound. The old Earl spoke out "Ah! That's why my spell didn't work! You were on the submarine boy? Damn! The thing is out of my range now! You've scuppered our only hope of keeping this place safe from the Nazis! Now they'll be back in droves, dammit?"

Nowhere Boy pulled off his mask, taking a breath of fresh, crisp sea air, his black contrasting with the white all about. "No, I don't think so. Though scuppered is the right word to use." he glanced at Anyman and walked past towards the Cliff and the path upwards. Over his shoulder he called out "All fair in war, eh Lance?"

Anyman turned to where the Submarine had submerged. Somehow he knew that the vessel was no sinking, filling with water and that those onboard would suffer death from drowning! For minutes he stood watching the waves of the irish sea lapping on the shore.

"Drink, fellow?" called out the Earl as he helped the Academics up the path towards the cliff top and the mansion.

Allard drunk in the sea air, staring out at the wild grey waves and the thick dark clouds on the horizon. He'd beaten off the threat of the Nazis this time, but war was coming to these shores, and soon.

He turned to head back to the cliff and the walk to the top...

OOC Unless you have something to add, that's a wrap for this short episode - I want to get us all to a place where we can - finally - get the team together for the Dunkirk evacuation...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 02 2011, 21:35

OOC I'm thinking of cooking up a side story for you to run as a Lore Knight with a new system. That way when everyone else polishes off their Vanguard threads we can get back as a team with Anyman and co, whilst the Lore Knights will be completely separate game, set in the same time but taking on home grown menaces and mysterious types whilst the Vanguard range ever further afield as the War gathers apace. More details when I finish cooking them up. With regards character, the Lore Knights were always kinda mysterious, spooky types, so whilst Tor was a brick, he was a huge pile of walking rock rather than a spandex clad muscleman, and of course Ghost Knight as a brawler/martial artist was a spooky armour clad Knight type in the Lore knights. If you fancy coming up with 8 power/grades we can convert from Squadron UK/Golden Heroes to the new system (at the moment it's looking like House Ruled DC Heroes 2nd/3rd edition, but there's also something else I am toying with... Maybe DC Heroes to start with then other systems after.)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 03 2011, 13:52

Nothing to add but Anyman is pretty mad at Nowhere Boy now. Prisoner exchanges should be honored or there is no chance of getting our folks back in the future. Razz

I could make up Morningstar, Justin's Great-Uncle who fought during the war. Pretty much the same power set - Armor, Weapon - Morningstar, Strength, Flying Horse who had his own armor and could fight.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 03 2011, 20:33

OOC I'll start cooking up some stats for you to have a look at. basically I'll be modifying the action tables in DC so that they go up in 1s, not 2s and 3s, which means that a stat which is higher (say, 10 vs 9) is going to have an advantage instead of having to roll the same target number (like now). I'll keep mechanics behind the scene though. I thought the pulling the plug thing on the Submarine would rile Anyman - he's an honourable sort, whereas Nowhere Boy has been somewhat jaded through his various lives, and in wartime, throws concepts such as honour and duty out the window. It's win, or die, as far as he's concerned, but I'm sure Allard will have something to say to him about that Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue May 03 2011, 22:30

Well, Anyman sees himself, as his first mission showed, as a behind the lines assassin and commando type. He knows he will be lined up to a wall and shot just the like the Commandos were, unless turned into an experimental subject, if ever captured. The Commandos weren't protected by the Geneva Convention like all other soldiers were, by Hitler's orders. He ordered them shot as spies, without a trial in most cases. Which is why being a Commando was a volunteer job.

But he tries to obey the Convention as much as he can. When a parlay is called, he honors it. Sinking the sub during combat was one thing. Sneaking on board while a prisoner exchange was going on, was a different thing entirely.

And he is scared stiff of the demon inside him. If he starts letting himself do "anything because it is war", he may find himself being seduced by said demon and using him over and over again. And while he was something of a noble character to start with, though not totally, he is even more so because of that fear.

Nobility through Fear. hmmmm. That's something to think about. lol!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 05 2011, 01:43

OOC David - Just to keep you updated. When I get up (just got in from work and soon to hit sack) I'll cook something up with regards a quick 'how to' for DC heroes and an idea of Ghost Knights character. Want me to straight convert from the old GH character or do you want to do it if you still have a copy of DC Heroes knocking about? There's a Character builder here for the 2nd/3rd edition of the game which makes things easier too (and it even had power descriptions until the copyright holders of the MEGs system sent a cease and desist...Doh). I was planning on building with 650 points, though it doesn't really matter if the character goes over. I plan to use the Golden Heroes system for rounds and ditch the DC heroes system which allows a dice action, move action and simple action in one 4 second phase. Instead it'll be choose one of those to perform with your 4 frames as usual. The Hero point bidding system will be ditched too. Instead you'll be able to buy another D10 to roll, so instead of 2D10 you roll three and pick which two to use. Anyway, I'll detail all that in a quick 'how to guide'. Work has set me behind schedule for the moment, but I just wanted you to know I'd not forgotten about you.

Or... (your choice) we leave the Lore Knights experiment to another time and do a short adventure for Anyman with the proviso that when the others wrap theirs up we can hop to getting the group together for the Dunkirk Evacuation. I don't mind either way - I'm itching to try the DC Heroes system with Golden Heroes bits bolted on (and an updated Action table that lists individual APs instead of in pairs. That just means that, for example, 7APs vs 8APs would have a tougher time, and rightly so, seeing as 8APs is supposed to be twice what 7Aps is). However, the Vanguard is/always will be my priority so if you'd rather continue with Anyman I'm good with that, with the 'short adventure' proviso in mind.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu May 05 2011, 02:26

Good ahead and do Morningstar, which was the name Ghost Knight's Great Uncle used. I guess his flying horse gets counted as a sidekick or vehicle or something.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu May 05 2011, 15:13

World War II - Putty Issue #2 - Page 5 Wlr7s1

Never filled in any background, who he was, where he came from or whatever. Costs were based on 900hp but not strictly, simply used as a base for everyone else's character. I'll just run through the bits:

7 Dex - about the same level as Batman when he first turned up, and WWII version of Superman
4 Strength - I'm changing the strength column. He's good for about 400lb lift, still hefty.
6 Body - max human. I'm using RV3 for humans without protective powers against bullets though (realism rules). Luckily he has Skin Armour!

Intelligence 5 - very smart, scientist level smarts, though probably not academic
Will 4 - pretty strong willed
Mind 5 - durable against mental attacks

Influence 5 - charismatic, a born leader
Aura 5 - mystical basis for powers means he's not easily scared by the unknown
Spirit 5 - resistant to magic attacks to a fair degree, has Magic Shield to make him near impervious!

Flight 6 - this manifests as a ghostly white winged horse, mist about it's feet. Comes when called, instantly appearing under him. Works as the flight power in all respects as horse obeys his every whim. If you want the horse as a pet we can change this.
Energy Absorption 6 - Energy attacks would be his Achilles heel, but this allows him to ignore up to 6 points of damage from an energy attack. Defence is his thing, and Skin Armour is ineffective against energy, so this evens it up
Skin Armour 6 - His ghostly armour. This forms about him at will, weighs nothing and makes no noise unless he wants it too. Looks like a suit of medieval armour and is glued to his skin by magic unless he wants to remove it.
Magic Shield 5 - like a force field except against Magical attacks. Any attack with a magic mature must also break through this field to harm him!
Magic Sense 10 - able to sense and detect magic within 1 mile

Charisma 5 - Born leader, can intimidate effectively too
Detective 5 - able to find and deduce knowledge from clues
Martial Artist 7 - can fight with Bruce Lee level skill without weapons
Weaponry 11 - Badass fighter with melee weapons, seriously world class, no one better at any rate, and even then they'd have to be superhuman
Thief 7 - increased Dexterity turns an ordinary common thief into a world class burglar - if he so chose
Occultist 3 - entering a world of dark magic and mysticism, of things that go bump in the night, he will pick something up straight away. He's a St John (thrice removed no doubt)

Expansive HQ - Caer Alwyn, the Cave, Castle and village, all his when the old Earl croaks
Insta Change - change from civilian clothes to armoured form in the blink of an eye, complete with weapon
Iron Nerves - resistant to intimidation and mind control
Leadership - a born leader, gives benefits to a group
Rich Family - the St Johns are old money, landed, loaded, no one really knows how much, but in a pinch he can call on a lot of money, even back then
Sharp Eye - spots clues

Dark Secret - I suggest him as being a policeman (hence the skills) who turned bad (as in robberies and such) before his Uncle summoned him to Caer Alwyn having pulled strings with connected friends to keep him out of jail
Secret Identity - taking on a new name and growing (or cutting his hair) perhaps shaving a moustache off, and becoming the long lost returned illegitimate son of the Earl come home to roost

Wealth 8 - £300,000/year, back in 1940. He can buy anything he wants

Morning Star - doubles his strength to near superhuman levels (750lb lifting) and can crush steel like paper (EV) Made of titanium and forged by a craftsman, it's hundreds of years old. It cannot be taken from his hand in combat, but it is not indestructible. If destroyed it will manifest in the cave a day and a night later (24 hours) Disappears in civilian form.

Couple of bits - the power level is high. This is not a starting character, and would wipe the floor with the Golden Heroes version in an instant, probably take on the whole team himself. That said, it doesn't really matter as I will scale foes to suit. Anything you want changing, any gaps you want to fill in, let me know. Background, civilian ID, any friends or contacts etc. I intend to start his adventures with the old 'BOOM BOOM BOOM' in the head, and he wakes up in prison with someone opening the door to whisk him away to a new life and meet an Uncle he never knew. If you want to change anything about him, even depower him or make him more powerful, I don't mind. Will be sticking the house rules doc in later today.

I'll sort something out for Dave E later on, will just get you up and running first as there is a lull in Anymans schedule (in actual fact he'll be summoned back to Bletchley and set to training the Justiciars for the coming onslaught) and you know something of the DC Heroes game (albeit from 25 years ago!)

Over to you!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri May 06 2011, 21:48

Man, I have to remember his name one of these days! I know I gave him a first name but can't remember what it is.

Justin was the black sheep of the family. Great-Uncle should not also be a black sheep. So I don't want to see him with a criminal record. That said, his background prior to WW2 is pretty sketchy. Other than being a long of line of heroes who took up the burden of the sword and the WW2, I didn't do much else with him.

How about we make him a spy instead? But instead of a Nazi prison, he was captured in Russia before the war?

Off to see Thor tomorrow with friends!!!! That may give me some ideas too. geek
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next