The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

4 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 Empty Re: The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 31 2010, 15:10

PUTTY

OOC There are Shadow rangers pouring out of the woods from behind trees, in the trees themselves, some stepping from the shadows themselves. As the Brotherhood snaps into action arrows whizz across the clearing, mostly striking. These guys don't mess about. Initiative 1d10=8 Heroes, 1d10=7 Bad Guys. Frostbite is in human form, Putty is on full health (thanks to the elexir/drink passed around at the campfire), energy is restored to full and it's hard to even see the enemy, let alone count how many you face! 1 Frame to you...

Going to try something a little different this time. Putty is going to try to grab one of the Shadow Rangers with his one frame, with the intention of either throwing or smashing him into another one with his later frames. Not sure, game mechanics-wise, which is easier to do.

"Never ends does it," Putty says as he reaches out his elongated arms and tries to grab one of the Shadow Rangers. "A little rest and then back into the fight. Was it this way on your Earth too, Frostbite?"

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 Empty Re: The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge...

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 31 2010, 17:24

Frostbite

Shocked but ever ready, at the shattered silence, Frostbite quickly refroze knowing that his part was best played fully armoured and ready to go.

"Never ends does it," Putty says as he reaches out his elongated arms and tries to grab one of the Shadow Rangers. "A little rest and then back into the fight. Was it this way on your Earth too, Frostbite?"

"You'd better believe it. We can rest all we want when we're dead, meanwhile I aim to fight with every breath. Watch your back Putty, we don't know what manner of men, or elves these are."

With that Frostbite focused, knowing that the enemy had caught them largely unawares. What he hadn't told Putty was that back on Earth, things often went from bad to worse, before they got better as well.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 31 2010, 20:33

The Vanguard - Putty and Frostbite

Putty stretched a long arm out across the clearing. The Shadow Ranger tried to move but Putty was faster (OOC they have DC8 so not too hard to score a hit. 1d20+2+8=26 Hit. Shadow Ranger is grabbed). Frostbite iced up - just in time!

A Shadow Ranger stood in the darkness afforded by the edge of the clearing. "Borr Vun Kaar Shadda!" he whispered. Nocking an arrow to the bow he pulled and loosed! The arrow seemed to fire unerringly across the clearing, through the thronged Brotherhood who were gathering weapons and racing outwards to deal with the Shadow Rangers, and punched into Frostbites' leg! Another arrow crossed the clearing to jut from his shoulder!

OOC magic bow acts like the Field Manipulation power... 2d6=9 Htk, 2d6=6 Htk. Damage after reduced dividers is 4 and 3 points. 7 Points Htk in total. Any response?

Stood in shadows a Ranger sighted on Putty, drew the string, uttered the curse/spell and fired. High in the branches of a tree, another did the same!

OOC 2d6=7 Htk, 2d6=7 Htk. Damage after reduced dividers is 6 points (fractions rounded down). Response?

All over the clearing the brotherhood were being peppered by black shafted arrows! The larger creatures had multiple arrows jutting from them. Those with any kind of magic were able to throw up wards just in time to divert the arrows from their magical homed in path, causing the Shadow rangers who'd fired them to adjust their position and aim manually.

The glare of the fire hadn't helped - looking out into the darkness Frostbite could see only vague shapes, which might or might not have been an enemy! Occasionally the fire would cast a light on the grim face of a shadow ranger and Frostbite could target one. <<Suggest tactical withdrawal. There is no way to gauge accurate numbers of the enemy. There is also no rational way they could have approached undetected. Suggest teleportation or supernatural means, beyond the remit of this computers ability to analyse.>>

Putty held firm on the Shadow Ranger. He could feel the wiry strength in the limbs struggle against his grip but knew his superhuman power would prevail unless the Ranger had a trick up his sleeve.

The battle could go either way. Outnumbered, with the enemy having a tactical advantage, could the Brotherhood survive this and get to the first hurdle of Mordreds' lair, or would they fall here, and the fate of countless souls decided with them?

OOC will post stats readout up after your next post (in case you do a combat response to the damage you've taken) and after Frosty has spent some Energy points, no doubt. 4 frames.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Aug 31 2010, 21:32

PUTTY

Putty will ignore the damage.

Putty throws the shadow ranger at one of his {?} teammates. He will then grab and throw another at another one.
[I think that covers four frames]
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 31 2010, 22:27

FROSTBITE

OOC: Ok I will parry, with my field manipulation, using no points save the normal 2d6 allowed. to freeze the arrows before they hit me.

"Arghh" Frostbite cried out not so much because he had been hurt but rather because he wanted to let the enemy think that he had been hurt worse than he had.

OOC: Parry the attack and try to ward off the blows. Don't have the rules with me here so here is my roll:

1d20=7

Hmm not so good. Take whatever energy points you think I need to spend to deflect the attacks. Since Parrying takes as many frames as the attack- I'm not sure if I've got enough frames left to do anything.

But if I have I will throw up either an ice barrier, blocking line of sight where possible and if I've got the opportunity use FM to do my area wide bomb attack. But only if there area is sufficiently free of allies to make it effective.

If that is not the case then I might depending on numbers use restraint to restraint arms and or legs (to trip up) or Mirrored ice to set up reflections that confuse the enemy. Depends on what the lie of the land is tactically really.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 02 2010, 00:17

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 B5fq04

OOC Just looked up throwing someone. Believe it or not it takes a frame to grab, a frame to lift and an action to throw. Bonkers. The rationale for the action is that the victim is assumed to be struggling and can make an immediate response using future frames. Unfortunately for the Bowman, he's got his hands full (bow) and his response is to fumble at his belt for a moment for his knife before he's tossed, flailing, through the air! 1d20+2+8=19 for the throw, which hits.

Putty flicked his arm like an elastic band, sending the struggling bowman through the air! He bounced from a tree and crashed into a bowman in the upper branches, seen only at the last moment by the agile Vanguardian. There's a cry, then both fall from the tree with a thud, twitch for a moment, then lie still!

All about, Putty sees arrows zinging through the air. Whoever these attackers are, they are accurate, and deadly. Still. The defenders are not without power of their own.

The Dwarves hide behind shields as they try to make their way to the trees. Or at least, two of them do. The third, Borgis, sprints headlong for the cover of bushes, axe raised high. Curiously, Putty sees no arrows aimed in his direction, and he's able to gain cover quickly.

The humans in the armour stand with hands linked, chanting. All about them a field of energy glows, and arrows that come close strike it, then drop to the floor. One has struck home before the field was raised though, and the female of the pair looks in some pain as the arrow juts from her thigh, even through the gleaming armour.

The angel type man with the wings soars up into the air, chanting. As arrows close in on him, they are transformed into flowers, and cascade to the clearing below.

It's too late for the Lizardman, who staggers to his knees clutching a number of arrows in his chest. His rasping cries are silenced when an arrow punches through his eye and pins his head to a tree.

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 29xd95f

OOC takes an action for Frostbite to parry with Field Manipulation. He can parry one arrow (I assume the one with most damage). Even so, the attack is barely parried. 2d6=4

Just in time, Frostbite throws up a hand. The arrow instantly frosts over and shatters on his ice sheathed form! <<Your reflexes are working at optimal levels. The damage sustained from the other arrow is minimal. There is no danger as yet to your vital functions.>> informed the computer.

Frostbite glanced about. The battle was so one sided it was hard to see where an opening could be had. The two biggest members of the brotherhood looked like pincushions, with so many arrows jutting from their massive hides it was scarcely believable that they could still stand! Even as Frostbite considered this he saw the Blue Giant rush a ranger, only to stagger back, clutching an arrow embedded in his eye! He plucked it, the empty socket a gory mess as his cries rang out.

Elesieth screamed as an arrow punched through her hand as she raised it to cast a spell. Ducking down, she pulled it through the hand with a cry and clutched the bloodied fist to her chest. "Go!" she screamed, as arrows screamed overhead. "They don't know you! See the mission through! Free the land!" She looked at Frostbite for a moment longer, then muttered a spell. Instantly a pillar of flame formed around her, and arrows with struck it sizzled into black smoke. Indeed. Any arrows that had missed their target or punched clean through the target became black smoke moments later. Only those embedded in a living being retained any solid form!

The Dwarves by now had reached cover. Two were behind shields, though one clutched an arrow embedded in his throat, and was coughing up blood.

<<Your allies life signs are weakening. Without immediate medical assistance some will die. If you stay here much longer, you too, will succumb to the sheer weight of numbers ranged against you.>> said the computer.

The Satyr danced past Frostbite, arrow jutting from his side. He played his pipes, strangely enough, and a procession of four shadow Elves followed in his trail, skipping and dancing, entranced by the music! They screamed as arrows from their comrades aimed at the Satyr instead embedded into their own forms as they dived into the path of arrows heading his way! The piping stopped as an arrow punched into the back of his head, causing him to stagger forward and grope for it on shaking legs. Another one punched into his chest, then another, and the Satyr crashed to the floor.

The Minotaur, bristling with arrows, raised his Axe time and again. The Shadow Elves that faced him were fast, but the beasts skill with the murderous axe was considerable. Gore arced in wide fountains as it raised and lowered in the blink of an eye, only to raise again as it sought out more victims. When he saw his friend fall, the Minotaur went completely berserk and the undergrowth rocked as he scythed at everything in his path!

The Blue Creature, despite being blinded, had reached a Ranger and scooped him up in one huge paw. Despite that, the Ranger still pulled an arrow and thrust it into the creatures' mouth, eliciting a scream. The Rangers reward was to have his head twisted clean off, his corpse tossed into the bushes. The blue creature disappeared into cover of trees where its crashing rampage could be heard still.

The giant Dragon like creature bellowed its rage and grabbed the trunk of a tree, shaking it, even as arrows peppered its hide. Three Shadow rangers fell to the floor, to be stamped on moments later. One still lived, and it was scooped up, disappearing into the Dragon Mans maw with a wet crunch! It bellowed its rage again, and breathed a slew of flame across the clearing like napalm, sticking to anything it touched. Luckily the Vanguardians were a safe distance away, though half a dozen Shadow Rangers ran screaming into the woods like blazing torches!

OOC Frostbite has a frame left this round. Initiative for next round 1d10=7 Heroes, 1d10=3 Bad Guys. 2 Frames for next round.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 02 2010, 08:44

Frostbite

Although not unused to the gore and shear ferocity of the battlefield, nonetheless, even Frostbite was sickened by the wholesale slaughter that was taking place. The forces railed against Mordred were being defeated and Frostbite could see, that nothing they were going to do would stop that slaughter. But within him something snapped as his anger grew.

From the time they'd been swept up into this nightmare, he felt as if the team had been pushed from one disaster to another, barely holding on in the sea of chaos that threatened to overwhelm them. Although this realm was not his own, again he saw the injustice and agony that the Shadows had perpetrated, encouraging evil men like Mordred so they might use him to bring even greater suffering. And something within him had, had enough.

OOC: seeing as we've got initiative, and a frame in hand...

Frostbite shouted to the friends around him, "Duck" as he launched himself in the air hovering at about shoulder height in the air, and dug deep within, pulling all the water vapour in the air around him to himself before launching it in a deadly explosion of ice shards flying out in ever direction. He only hoped his attack would not hit his friends, but so many were dead or dying, it didn't seem to matter so much.

OOC: ok Ice bomb, using 6 energy points I've sought to go higher so that only taller creatures will be hit, but I hope they our either out of range, (many seems to be storming off) or have managed to find cover including Putty. Then with a frame left I become intangible for the moment.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Sep 02 2010, 17:57

PUTTY

OOC Just looked up throwing someone. Believe it or not it takes a frame to grab, a frame to lift and an action to throw. Bonkers. The rationale for the action is that the victim is assumed to be struggling and can make an immediate response using future frames. Unfortunately for the Bowman, he's got his hands full (bow) and his response is to fumble at his belt for a moment for his knife before he's tossed, flailing, through the air! 1d20+2+8=19 for the throw, which hits.

ooc: You are right, it doesn't make a lot of sense. In the three frames to do something like that, Putty could instead punchy 3 times. That's not very balanced. I understand two frames - grabbing and then throwing but not three.

Putty goes flat at Frostbite's warning. He didn't want to run either. It felt cowardly to throw a few bad guys around and then run away. But unless things changed, they were all going to die. He looks around for a better, more effective weapon. He has never really tried his strength against trees and many of these trees were huge and ancient. But maybe ... he looks for a large tree that he thinks he can handle. He goes up to it, uproots it and starts using it as a club to bash all the evil rangers he can reach - and boy does he have a great reach! - out of the trees, hoping the bashing with his tree club and the fall will take them out of action.

Actions: With only two frames before the bad guys, uproot tree and then swat at the largest group in a tree he can find with it. He holds it by the roots/base of the tree so that the limbs will do an area effect like attack.

ooc: The rules probably don't allow that, but I'm hoping .... tongue

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Thu Sep 02 2010, 21:17

Steeple_jackuk wrote:Lionheart

Lionheart looked at the Big Man, his powers were beyond his own comprehension, as compared to either Saladin, he was powerful. But even this task, righting the Henge stones was taking its toll. The temptation to stop, rest a while was a strong one. But Stormwarden was right. Although his words had not said, it his tone of voice was enough.

"No big man, 'no rest for the wicked', nor us as well. Who knows what the Nazi's will plan next."

With that Lionheart slowly, painfully forced his aching limbs to respond as he tugged at his friend to keep on with the work. "We've got to stay vigilant..." He said to motivated both himself and Stormwarden to action.

Sj

"The real question is - just what goes where?" pondered Stormwarden aloud. "I suspect that whoever designed this somehow matched stone to stone so if they're in the wrong order, whatever it is we're supposed to do just won't work." He stood up and groaned softly as he straightened his back. "Mind you, I could really wish its just a case of just pop them in any old how." He moved across and almost delicately squatted down, carefully feeling along the edges of a stone and then carefully pulled it out of the ground. "Urgh." he muttered as he staggered slightly. "Wonder what joy the others are having."

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys, sorry for the very long absence. Definately not planned - I just hope thats the end of my current run of bad luck.

Limerickcot
Street Level: Hero

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 02 2010, 21:51

OOC:

Kendal, so good to have you back, you've been missed. How did things work out with your dad?

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Thu Sep 02 2010, 22:18

He actually brightened up considerably since they discharged him home 'for his final few weeks'. Since then we've:
1. Cleared a downstairs room for him (we moved the furniture over to mine yesterday - thats the stuff I was having to move all over again tonight)
2. built a platform from that room over to the patio
3. built a ramp down to the back gate
4. built a ramp up to the far patio
5. installed new tvs etc
6. found him any number of things he couldn't find (I looked low - they were on high)
7. releived my mum as I could so she can have some time to herself
8. kept my mums spirits up as much as I can
9. moved any amount of things here so I can fit the furniture above.

On sunday I'm moving tree trunks and other things so he can all the way into the back of the garage.

Oh yeah - and now they won't give us a prognosis. I suspect that being at home, having a view and being able to get out have all helped him tremendously. Its the winter I'm dreading.

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 02 2010, 23:18

OOC Good to have you back Kendal, you have been missed Smile Also good to hear about your dad - sometimes the medics are a bit too quick to write someone off. Other times they won't open their mouth for fear of getting something wrong and having the backside sued off them. Way of the world Sad What's important is spending quality family time together and it sounds like you're doing that, so enjoy what you have - nobody ever really knows how long they have anyway. Reminds me, I haven't spoken to my dad in a while. Will sort that out tomorrow Smile

The Vanguard - Stormwarden and Lionheart

Stormwarden took hold of an especially large stone, Lionheart the other side (OOC Dave E feel free to continue running Lionheart as you see fit. David M, I'll be dropping other characters in if you want an extra bod to run, same for you Kendal... Nowhere Man is 'mine' - mostly as a plot device, admittedly ... Embarassed ).

Lionheart grunted "Are you SURE you're lifting this? Cause it looks to be leaning an awful... STORMWARDEN! HEY MAN!" he bellowed, seeing the stone start to topple.

Stormwarden grunted, lifting whilst looking out into the darkness, into the storm. He 'was' the storm. It was a living breathing extension of himself.

And something was cutting through it.

Something fast.

"What is it?" asked Lionheart, looking out in the direction Stormwarden was coming.

From the darkness the sound of distant thunder rumbled, getting closer. "That one of your effects man?" quipped Lionheart. "Stormwarden?"

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 Jz7e37

Lionheart followed his team mates' gaze. "Who the heck is THAT?"

Adjutant turned his gaze first to Lionheart, then Stormwarden, then the partially reassembled Stonehenge. Then back to the Vanguardians. "I, am Adjutant. And you people have been causing a lot of trouble..." he said in an accent less voice. "Surrender. This place will be crawling with metahumans in a short while."

It was true. A hundred miles or so away Stormwarden 'felt' the hole in the weather as a flying craft braved the colossal storm he'd created. Even so, it felt like he couldn't actually touch the craft with his weather, no matter how he tried! "I'm protecting them." said Adjutant, as if he'd heard Stormwardens thoughts. Not a drop of rain or gust of wind touched the superhuman. "Before they arrive... what is it you're trying to do here?" he asked.

He floated some 20m away, arms crossed, ignoring the howling wind that bent trees and whipped slates from rooftops in towns across the country. He was Adjutant.

He was to a superhuman what superhumans were to normal men...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 02 2010, 23:54

Frostbite floated up in the air (OOC remaining frame from last round...) then concentrated. The air seemed to freeze around him, and ice seemed to strain from the air itself to flow inwards to his body, encasing him in a spiky 'mine' of sorts, like that seen in World War II, save it was of ice.

"Duck!" he shouted.

Elesieth stared in alarm. She was already on the floor trying to stay low and hoping her magic would protect her. Most of the Brotherhood were down or away from the clearing.

A number of Shadow Rangers were now advancing into the clearing, aiming bows at the hovering ice ball...

Cued by Frostbites' warning, Putty went flat at a moments' notice.

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 Bzz0i

Half a dozen Shadow Rangers are caught in an icy explosion that sends explosive shards flying outwards, embedding into trees, the ground, shattering off rocks and slashing flesh where it struck. Unfortunately the winged 'Archon' figure swooped down at the wrong moment to help Frostbite, and was lacerated as were the Shadow Rangers. For their part, the Shadow Rangers cried out but stayed on their feet, each having received a varying degree of wounds and now concentrating on getting back into cover. Otehrs looked on from the trees and thought better of going into the clearing to take prisoners!

Putty 'slooped' up into shape and spread his arms around a reasonable sized tree, the trunk a few inches across. The bigger trees were beyond him - though he might have been able to drag them or even lift one or two, the roots meant that a far greater degree of strength would be needed to rip the thing from the ground! As it was, he grunted, braced himself against the floor and heaved back.. the tree pulled up with a wet tearing sound, and Putty hefted it like a bat!

The Shadow Rangers had been forced into cover after the ice 'bomb' went off, and as such it gave the Brotherhood and Vanguardians a brief - meaning a few seconds - respite. Elesieth staggered to her feet on shaking legs and shouted "Scatter! Flee!" before she tottered towards the cover of trees. Frostbite followed the direction she was headed in and saw two Shadow Rangers stepping from the darkness with bared knifes - they were coming up to the sides where Elesieth would enter the trees!

"Help me!" cried the Centaur. He was wounded, lying on the ground with several ice shards having slashed on his flanks and a number of arrows jutting from his body. He reached out a hand towards Frostbite flying above him, though of course the Vanguardian was out of reach.

<<In the trees. To your left.>> stated the computer. Frostbite turned, saw a Shadow Ranger in the branches of a tree pulling a bow back and aiming at the Centaur! He had a choice to make.

Putty had his own problems... three Shadow Rangers paced in closer, obsidian daggers bared and they spread out, seeking some way in to attack the malleable man! With tree in hand he considered his options - then saw another sprinting in from behind, leaping from a log with Dagger bared and ready to plunge into Puttys' back!

Elsewhere the Dwarves were clashing in hand to hand combat with the Shadow Rangers - their natural mode of attack. As such, they were pressing hard, and forcing the Shadow Rangers they faced back into the trees! One of the Dwarves got too cocky, and screamed as an arrow punched into his cheek! With the shaft still jutting, and spitting blood, the Dwarf charged the bowmen, dragging him in and crashing into his face with a metal rimmed helmet.

The Bowman would never rise again!

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 1z38mf7

OOC no change to Puttys status from last round, hence no updated sheet.

All over the clearing the surviving Brotherhood members tried to make good their escape. The Archon swooped down time and again to dissuade Rangers from entering the clearing. It seemed the Shadow Rangers had orders to take some or all of the Brotherhood alive, though of course their initial attack had claimed casualties...

OOC Frostbite sees two situations that stand out. Everywhere he looks Shadow Rangers flit from place to place, levelling bows and firing when they can. His ice bomb essentially bought time though for the Brotherhood to break for cover. Putty is doing much the same - the Centaur would be under greater fire were it not for the tree he's carrying, though he faces four (4) Shadow Rangers on his own now! Three from the front and 1 from behind. 2 Frames each guys then next round - Dave E, I'd have had Frosty going intangible but figured you might - or might not - change your action in light of the events about to take place.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Fri Sep 03 2010, 07:43

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 Jz7e37
"Before they arrive... what is it you're trying to do here?" he asked.

He floated some 20m away, arms crossed, ignoring the howling wind that bent trees and whipped slates from rooftops in towns across the country. He was Adjutant.

He was to a superhuman what superhumans were to normal men...

Stormwarden carefully put the stone back down. He didn't want to break it. Now regretfully, he had to make a decision and seeing Adjutant in person, he was somewhat ...apprehensive.

"Pop it down, mate." he nodded to Lionheart as he stood up fully and faced Adjutant. It was a strange sight. It was, and wasn't, the man he'd known before. But that streak of being omnipitent, but curious, seemed to still be there.

"Have you ever wondered what this world would have been like if the Nazi's hadn't persuaded aliens to help them out and then betrayed them?" Stormwarden kept the tone to a conversational level. "So the Nazi's were outfaced when they invaded Russia and were then forced back? So the Allies then landed in France, forcing the Germans back there until, eventually, Hitler killed himself in his own bunker as Berlin was fought through to its very doors? I can tell you that it is a lot better than here." and he waved his hands around. "People are free to come by or go, free to pursue politics. The standard of living is far and above what you see here and starvation doesn't reach here. It's hardly perfect but its a hell of a lot better than here"

"We were in that world, a world where we are equals, you and me. A place where we sat on top of the Tower of London and discussed a plot that was taking place. A plot to breech time and turn the clock back. They succeeded. And I? I gave up much of that power to retain the memory of what once was. If we reset Stonehenge then we have a chance to become what we were."

He looked up questionly at Adjutant, wondering and then shrugged his shoulders.

"You're a great man, Adjutant. You've always supported the government, but never blindly. You know the difference between right and wrong. Heck, you helped us out several times, rescuing children at. Oh, well, thats a different you, maybe."

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Sep 03 2010, 07:54

Lionheart

OOC: No problem running Lionheart mate, its more fun as its easier to be connected to both threads this way.

Lionheart looked first at Adjutant and muttered something about getting up on the wrong side of life, before looking up at Stormwarden. Prior to this he'd maintained that if necessary, he could get through to Adjutant well, it looks as if he had now got his chance.

Lionheart was no pushover, but even he could feel the shear power emanating from Adjutant. But what about the man beneath, could he be evil? Or was he just misguided believing that the Nazi's were a means to an end, even if the means were themselves crude and blunt! Had he changed his mind and begun to feel differently? Surely the man can't be so ignorant as to believe the Nazi's could bring utopia. After all they'd been in charge long enough. Lionheart had to wonder, how much more would Adjutant need to see in order to realise that with his 'alies' the means had now become the end. There was no utopia just the crushing repressive dictatorship?

Lionheart didn't know what to think, it was beyond his capabilities to see into Adjutant's mind. But he knew he hadn't come back in time to only to have it swallowed by a worse fate. But it was Stormwarden's call, so he waited for him to speak.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Sep 03 2010, 08:36

Frostbite

OOC: Paul Frostbite would have had to drop the intangibility in order to attack so that is out for now anyway.

Knowing full well that the centaur even if he could be saved, would still only delay the inevitable, Frostbite went to Elesieth's aid. But even as he sped forward he changed his mind, fired quickly at the Ranger to offset his aim, before firing quickly into the Rangers before Elesieth.

OOC: Ok I am going to use 6 points the first 2 being spent on doing a quick attack on the Ranger attacking the Centaur and the other 4 points to raise my quick attack value to 3d6 on one of the Rangers in front. I am going to go for HTC, as its more effective so rolling damage for both attacks. 2d6, [3, 4]= 7 HTC,
3d6 [6, 2, 2]=10 HTC

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Sep 03 2010, 22:47

PUTTY

"Help me!" cried the Centaur. He was wounded, lying on the ground with several ice shards having slashed on his flanks and a number of arrows jutting from his body. He reached out a hand towards Frostbite flying above him, though of course the Vanguardian was out of reach.

The cry from the centaur bit deeply into Putty. He was surrounded yet he had to help the creature. He thought quickly. Stretching over his four foes, he charged to the centaur's aid, swiping at any foe in reach as he stretched to reach the centaur.

actions: Stretching up and over and towards the centaur. Not sure if that will be one frame or two as not sure of distance. If one, will take a swipe with the tree at any foe threatening centaur that is in range. If two, will try using the tree to cover the centaur and then Putty in that order.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 03 2010, 23:41

Stormwarden said his piece, Lionheart by his side. Adjutant hovered, looking at the pair. "you're telling the truth. Or at least, you think you are. And..." he stared at Stormwarden, then Lionheart "There are traces of temporal energy surrounding both of you, though of a different frequency."

With a sigh Adjutant landed, then walked over to a few metres away. "I objected when the Nazis started tearing apart ancient ruins and sites of historical significance. All for that madman in Germany who is now a brain in a jar kept alive through technology. Even voicing my thoughts like that could be considered treasonous. However, I have my duty. I see you have Lunarium X weapons. They will work effectively on the others, but not as well on me. I suggest you put them down."

He looked at the stones "Impressive. You have reassembled the standing stones correctly so far, quite a feat considering the damage caused by the bumbling archaeologists. No. There is one in the wrong slot." With a gesture the 9 ton stone floated up and across the clearing, revolved, then landed without a sound in the correct slot. He looked at Stormwarden again. "I have no idea why I'm doing this. I see you... and I see something else too. My senses are too extensive to accurately describe, but my intellect tells me to attack you would unleash a power inside you as a defence mechanism. I fear nothing, and yet, if we were to battle, most or all of the countryside for miles around would be lain waste."

He looked into Stormwardens' eyes. "I was sure on what I had to do before I came here. Now? I see visions of a different world when I look at you. These are powers even I never knew I had." He gestured again. The stone Lionheart and Stormwarden had been struggling with suddenly lifted up, tumbled end over end and slotted, again without a sound, into it's correct slot. "I will not betray those I serve. But in order to protect the innocents for miles around I cannot fight you either. Prepare yourselves. In the next few moments my metahumans allies will arrive. Your fate is in their hands. I go now to see what your dark clad friend is doing in a village near Newport."

He turned to go, then looked back "If you are correct, and all my various powers say you are, then we will meet again. But not in this timeline." Adjutant had a frown on his face. Where he had been sure, now there were doubts. All his life he had been indoctrinated into the Nazi ideals and vision of the future. Now he had seen that everything he knew and had experienced could well be false, a lie even.

OOC if you guys want to say anything, he'll answer before he goes, otherwise...

Without a word or backwards glance Adjutant was a gone, a dot in the northern sky.

And in his place, a distant dot grew larger. A plane or jet of some kind, with VTOL landed nearly 100m away, and from its' hold came a number of strange, dangerous looking individuals! One grew to enormous size, dwarfing even Stormwarden! Another had his skin seemingly melt away, a living skeleton clothed in flame! Yet another looked to be a robot of some kind. All stood looking out in the darkness across at Stonehenge and the Vanguardians stood there. The one with the eyepatch and glowing boomerangs shouted out "You should know, Adjutant is on his way here! All he will have to do is mop up the mess however! It's time to die!"

OOC No, it's time for intiative. You guys get +2 because you are stood there and ready. 1d10+2=9 Heroes, 1d10=3 Nazis. 3 Frames to the good guys...

The Vanguard! Issue #4 - Knifes Edge... - Page 3 2afx0nq

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 03 2010, 23:44

OOC have run out of time today chaps, sorry. Working for the next two days (hellish shifts, but will manage a post/day, usually try and aim for more over a weekend, but Real Life tm gets in the way sometimes Sad ) then Mon-Thurs off, thankfully, so should be up to speed without problems...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Sep 04 2010, 08:12

Lionheart

He turned to go, then looked back "If you are correct, and all my various powers say you are, then we will meet again. But not in this timeline."

"Look at what they make you give, for their twisted ideals Adjutant. You are right to say you have powers in that other life, you had character, integrity and honour. The man I knew from history, wasn't the sort of man who could be taken in by dictators, or bullies, murderers and monsters. I see that man, hidden beneath that shell, I see the cracks appear and I see hope for you yet. Look at what they make you give, can you honestly say there isn't a better way?"

Lionheart stopped there, tired but somehow pleased that they'd managed to escape. He knew that whatever 'powered' Stormwarden and the others, would match Adjutant. And both new what it would do if they went at it.

Then turning to Stormwarden he simple offered, "You did good, save a lot of people - me for one. But looks like we've got company." Looking out toward the far edge of the storm, Lionheart saw the ship, the figures disembark and began to load up what he felt would be of greatest use in the coming battle.

OOC:
it's time for initiative. 3 Frames to the good guys...
Ok Paul question things are desperate and I see that Lionheart has weapons training. I want to suggest that he might use Nazi guns as a long range attack to incapacitate the incoming Nazi meta humans, (as this is war and he is a soldier etc). But I appreciate that this might not be how he'd want to play it out as a Character. So either I am going to take a weapon from the fallen troops, and shot at the folk coming to wound, not to kill. And then load martial arts and attack with Psi powers before going in for melee attacks.

Or else if you feel this isn't in keeping with the character I will use Psi blasts whilst they are at range and then go for melee attacks, speed, agility, reactions and martial arts etc.

I won't roll, but let you make the final decision and then take things from there.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Limerickcot Sat Sep 04 2010, 14:46

Stormwarden

Stormwarden looked at Adjutant. "I once feared to face you on the moon. The damage we may have caused there would have been more devastating that if we'd fought in London. That consideration, from either of us, is still there. I believed in you then and I thank you now. Life is a struggle but I hope and pray that we meet again in a place and time different from this. Be at Peace Adjutant."

As Adjutant flew away, Stormwarden held up a hand in farewell. He could tell that the enemy was still on its way though.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ooc - before we get started: Is Adjutant still protecting the Nazi metas from the storm effects or is that back on line now?

Limerickcot

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 04 2010, 23:57

OOC been a *bleep* of a day, just got back in so only got chance for one update before I go to bed and am up for work in the morning (then 4 days off thankfully). Literally struggled to sit at a computer more than 1-2 minutes without something pulling at my time. Anyway, my head is buzzing (been stood next to noisy speakers in a pub at someones party, drinking lemonade, all night. Nnngh.)

The Vanguard - Frostbite and Putty

Frostbite narrowed his eyes, levelled an arm and gestured. The Shadow Ranger cried out, then staggered back having dropped his bow thanks to his hand being coated with a thick layer of frost. He shot a venomous glance in Frostbites' direction, then disappeared into the shadow with a skill that Darkshadow would have been proud of.

Elesieth rose on unsteady legs, then chanted an incantation. All about her, a bright piercing light shone down from above, and Shadow Rangers near her cried out then shied back from it. It was a temporary measure, blinding any who looked upon her, but effective in that the Shadow Rangers couldn't aim or focus properly on the Elf.

Frostbite turned. The Centaur was being closed in on! He gestured, and a Shadow Ranger cried out, victim of frostbite. He glanced over at Frostbite himself, snarled, and pulled a dagger... only to be swatted clean across the clearing by a tree which had him going head first into the undergrowth! The Centaur cried out, staggered to his feet and started to totter out of the clearing towards the Elf Maiden.

All the surviving Brotherhood still in the clearing made their way to the piercing bright light, whilst battles were still taking place in the trees.

=========

Elsewhere...

"Well? Are the rebels defeated?" spat Mordred.

Merlin looked into the ball of crystal, narrowing his focus. "Unbelievable. I don't know how, but we have beings of genuine, world breaking power ranged against us!"

"Nonsense!" snarled Mordred. "I am the true power in this realm!"

"The eye of Bahas'ianna does not lie... my lord." added Merlin. "It sees into the hearts and souls of men or beast. These two are neither."

Mordred glanced at thee crystal but could see nothing. Merlin continued to look at it, then leaned back in his chair "Mayhap there is a way to turn this situation to our advantage..."

He gestured at the scene in the ball...

=========

At the clearing...

Frostbite and Putty prepared for the latest onslaught of arrows and blades from the Rangers. There seemed no end to them! Where there was shadow cast by any light, they would step from it, and attack! It was as if they were pouring from another place, a veritable army!

And then, as one, each Shadow Ranger shuddered... and made their way swiftly back to stand in shadow!

Putty whirled, looking for more opponents. He'd flattened two more with the tree, and they lay sprawled in the clearing...

Not for long! Heartbeats later they screamed, and became black oily smoke! Another heartbeat, and there was no trace of their having been there!

Frostbite looked about. <<Your opponents have gone. It seems they could not match you and your companions power, so judged the best course of action to be flight. Remarkable beings. This unit can only wonder if they are smoke given manlike form or manlike forms that can turn into smoke.>>

Elesieth wobbled back into the clearing, leaning in to the Centaur who was on the ground again, gasping. "Never... give up... the fight..." he rasped. The wounds he'd taken were causing him to succumb Now. Blood frothed around his mouth, and with a rattle, the Centaurs' head fell to the side.

The Archon landed, pulling a black shaft from his shoulder, another from his thigh. Both turned to mist when freed form the wound, but the wounds bled freely, yellow blood in his case.

He looked up, and over to Frostbite and Putty. In a musical voice he asked "What now? I feel that if you were not here, we would have been overrun by those demonic things."

The others were still out in the forest, but coming closer.

It was clear the enemy knew about the Brotherhood. The question was, knowing that the enemy knew about them, would the Brotherhood and the Vanguard still attempt to assault the fortress of the murderous Mordred?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Sep 05 2010, 09:04

Frostbite

Grateful for the respite in the battle, Frostbite new that the enemy had not retreated simply because they were more powerful, in truth their mettle had not been tested. The forces against them could have warn them down. But the more pressing issue was what Frostbite had seen when the dwarf's had fled. He had no more than circumstantial evidence, but he didn't doubt that if there was a traitor in the camp, whatever they planned would get back to Mordred.

"I suspect that our presence might be found wherever we go, but for sure our plans have been discovered and our assault on the castle needs must be altered." Frostbite wanted to lay a false trial, he'd already decided that he and Putty would go to the castle, he wanted to take the others with him but who knew if their plans would be discovered. Even fair Elesieth, might not be all she said she was. Although it brought a bad taste to his mouth, in truth Frostbite and Putty just didn't know these people sufficiently well to know who might be their traitor.

"I suggest we go deeper into the forest and regroup for now before we decided what our plans should be. Is there somewhere safe, from the incursions of Mordred's dark forces?"

Looking at Putty, Frostbite gave a slow meaningful nod, which he hoped his alien friend would know enough about human mannerisms to know he had something in mind.

OOC:

We'll follow Elesieth into the woods and at a suitable point I'll fill Putty in on the plan. I want to find out more about the castle and keep an eye on the Dwarf. My suggestion is we hide and sleep - but in fact Putty and I depart whilst the others cannot miss our going.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Sun Sep 05 2010, 14:31

PUTTY

Putty nods back to Frostbite. He too saw the unusual actions of one of the dwarfs and wonders.

"I will help carry the wounded," he said instead. He stretched himself out and converted himself into a large bed shape, converting his arms and legs into the walking legs of the "bed". His head stuck out where the headboard of the bed would normally be. "Place them on me and show me where to go," he commanded.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 05 2010, 23:54

OOC just about caught up. Back to updating every day by tomorrow at the latest - lack of sleep is catching up with me! That said, let's see what I can get done in the next hour...

As Stormwarden and Lionheart faced off against the Nazi Metahumans...

The landscape thundered below Adjutant. For a long, long time the most powerful being in Europe, one of the top 5 in the world, he'd been somewhat shaken when he learnt of the new arrivals and another that had, quite literally, appeared from nowhere. One that had been in their midst all his life? Adjutant didn't know, and that disturbed him. He glanced back. The others had gotten to the Stonehenge site and were spreading out. Laserang, Goliath Girl, Wicca Woman, Pyro Skull and Terminatus VII were amongst the more experienced and powerful Stormtrooper operatives (OOC all names are nearest translation to German equivalent) and may well be able to bring the two enemies in. That said, if the big one used that boiling, hidden power inside. Adjutants keen mind worked through the details of what had happened to Majestic. He concluded from the nanosecond of thought that Majestic had been on the verge of defeating the enemy when one of their number unleashed their hidden powers, and completely and utterly humbled the arrogant Nazi. In a way, Adjutant was glad. Majestic was psychotic and arrogant beyond compare. He deserved his fate, but that left all the responsibility, as usual, on his shoulders.

He sighed. With his incredible Penetra vision he zoomed in on the site where the mytics had said there was a massive disturbance. There. He couldn't see the dark clad one, but he was somewhere in the area of an old ruin, looking about. Invisible? Probably. Intangible, most likely. Those things didn't bother Adjutant so much as the fact that he, like the one he'd just met, had power incalculable. In short, Adjutant felt he couldn't win - he would bring out the best in these heroes, and in doing so unleash the powers that had seen Majestic and his foe disappear. Adjutants best guess was another dimension, but even he couldn't track them.

He hovered, watching at the site. Their words had stung him. In another life, he had known these people, or some of them, and whilst not being friends, had been on the same side. There had been no lies that Adjutant could detect. Disturbed, he watched to see how the fight would unfold. He would make his decision from there. That, too, disturbed him. Was he so easily swayed from everything he had ever known? So ready to betray his people, his leaders?

The troubled figure watched in silence, suspended in the air and unperturbed by the howling gale around him.

=========

Lionheart glanced about. Speeding over, he used a foot to stamp on the butt of a Nazi Rifle. The weapon flipped up from the ground and was deftly caught by the agile hero. He looked it over, then reached for his belt to load up the weapons program (OOC weaponskill with this will be WC3, not WC4, as that would be a separate power.) His mind flushed with knowledge, and he glanced down at the Lothar Mp8 MkII Quad pulse needle gun, capable of emptying a round of 1,000 needles at a foe in seconds. Problem was, it didn't have too much in the way of penetrative power. Against thick skin or armour the thing would be of limited use. Still, with hollow needles it would be lethal against unarmoured foes. A burst with this and they'd be like a teabag, leaking blood in every which way going. Lethal, in other words. He considered his using it. This was, in a way, war, and his side was losing. Why not stoop to the enemies level, use their weapons against them? The choice was his.

OOC or rather, yours, Dave. This Lionheart isn't the same as the one Steeplejack knew in the Exec. This version never went back in time to the Executives' timeline and never got their 'code' of practise in, so he'd do whatever to get the job done. Of course, should you restore time to what it was, there is a very good chance that Lionheart will revert to his former status. Dead, in other words... Unless he goes with the Vanguard. Hmmm Paradox and existing in the same place at the same time headache coming on. Will deal with that when I have to!

Stormwarden looked at the receding figure of Adjutant. The man he'd met, and challenged as an equal was an honourable, if misguided and unimaginative man. If he used his powers to his full potential he had the raw power needed to subjugate nations, and yet the Adjutant he'd known dealt with threats on the street as well as in space. The man was an enigma, and a tragic figure. He'd given up his identity and freedom back at home so he could serve the people - and in doing so any chance of a normal life. Was this Adjutant capable of the same selfless act? Stormwarden would have liked to have thought so, but time would tell.

He glanced at the metahumans bailing from the plane. The wind ripped at them, causing them to shield their faces against the driving rain. The fiery one flickered and his flame gusted back and forth. The one in the cloak struggled to keep her footing. In the darkness the white clad Stormtroopers stood out, their uniforms the traditional opposite of the bad guys they were. Then again, maybe they, and the people of this conquered land viewed the Vanguard as the bad guys? insurgents, criminals, terrorists... Stormwarden shuddered. His mission to restore the natural order was more important than ever, and these people were seeking to stop him!

OOC they are 100m away across open ground, you guys have 3 frames. Stormwarden and his country wide storm are affecting them, but because his power is being used country wide, to affect such a relatively small area would cancel out the country wide effect currently taking place. And if that's cancelled, more Nazis can take to the air in jets... decisions, decisions... If need be you can used the half dozen or so stones that have been erected as cover, but bear in mind if any are damaged, you are in deep, deep trouble. Stormwarden can, at any point, call on his Dark Power. HOWEVER, you would then be subject to the same fate that befell Darkshadow and have to leave this reality immediately or simply wink out of existence. So consider it your 'don't press this button' option...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next