The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #6

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The NEW Vanguard! Haunt Issue #6

Post  DavidMcMahon on Tue Nov 21 2017, 13:47

ooc: Head to help out my friend with all the demons of Hell on my heels.

"Any idea how to use this," the Haunt asks. "Do I pour it on him, make him drink it, give him a shot in the bum or what? If it is a suppository, we are up the creek without a paddle!"

once he gets his answer he prepares to leave.

"OH! Don't try to hold them off too much," he says as he moves to the window. "If you can't talk them out of attacking, lead them to the battle site, because if this fails, we will need all the help in the world to stop this poor man. Just give me a minute or two to try to stop him before you arrive."

"Luck to us all!"

With that, he dives out of the window, shaping angel wings on his back, with the Fog trailing him and flies as fast as he can safely to help out his best friend.
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Nov 24 2017, 18:16

Haunt thought back to the first time he met his best friend and confidante (OOC Feel free to fill that part in you get chance!)

Dr P had been there through thick and thin, through his faltering early days and unsure of his powers and himself, to the confident, powerful and effective crime fighter he was now. As he thought on Lady Lucks' final shout of "It needs to be swallowed!" he soared through the streets with fog all around and occasionally 'ducked his head up' above the buildings to see where the largest plumes of smoke were coming from.

That direction so... arggh. The London Eye! he wondered how many of this famous old cities recognisable landmarks would need rebuilding or forgetting about, and noted the number of police cars below trying to get through gridlocked traffic. Above, in the skies, several helicopters headed in from various directions and from somewhere else he heard a characteristic sonic BOOM! as either a jet or superhuman smashed through the sound barrier to get to the scene.

Getting closer, he saw smashed buildings, most missing chunks or looking distinctly wonky amidst the smoke and rubble. Dust rose making it hard to assess the full scale of the devastation, but it was clear that this had indeed been the path of that which was his friend.

As he closed in he heard the sounds of battle - machine guns of high calibre, even what sounded like explosions, and the more familiar sounds of superhuman powers in all their myriad forms and types trying to ...

All that was drowned out as with a huge roar and crash the biggest thing Haunt had ever seen came into view! He could feel every sweep of its colossal fists creating a wave draft of air that sent helicopter gunships spinning away, and tiny multicoloured figures - the UKChampions and others Haunt guessed - tumbling through the sky as they tried to right themselves!

Even from this distance, over a mile away, the beast looked HUGE! He glanced at the tiny beaker in his hand. What was that going to do against THAT!?!

A fiery figure light the sky up and torched the back of the beast. It didn't notice. A double decker bus flew through the air to crash against it's cheek. It didn't blink. A series of explosions around its eyes seemed to distract it, but a clap of its huge hands caused a hurricane force wind to throw up a dust storm and shatter buildings for blocks around! That's when Haunt noticed its eyes glowing... and with that a beam of pure energy shot from them, wild and out of control, into the sky! The beast covered its face and looked down before the beams issued again and started turning the Thames into a scalding white hot steambath! From here Haunt could hear cries as those caught in the superheated water were scorched by it's touch!

The guns fell silent, replaced by screams!

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon on Fri Dec 01 2017, 13:38

ooc: Ok, been thinking about this for a few days now. Here's some images to share with you:
This is from Police Comics #11, a pretty horrific story even by today's standards.
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/cache/1512134852police%20011-10.jpg
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/cache/1512134889police%20011-11.jpg
Going to be doing this to Doc P.

"AW DOC, NOOOOOO!!!!" the Haunt screams, his heart breaking to see his friend turned into such a horrible thing.

"Needs to be swallowed. Needs to be swallowed. Needs to be swallowed," those words continue to ring in his head as he pauses looking at all the destruction and death around him.

"Swallow it is," he mutters, flying straight to his friend's misshapen massive head.

hoped for actions: fly to Doc's mouth, at last moment shapeshift into looking like a gelatin capsule with medicine being protected by his body, fly down/get swallowed by Doc, "burst" open when down his throat and release the medicine. Then try to get out of Doc's mouth before something really bad happens to him. But may have to stay in his throat in order to block his airway so Doc P can't throw up the medicine. Put HP into whatever I need to in order to avoid whatever attack Doc sends my way prevent me from going down his throat. And if hit, HP to absorb enough damage to continue to stay conscious and able to prevent Doc P from not taking the "medicine"

DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Dec 04 2017, 17:16

OOC Those pictures don't work for me for some reason? Sad

Haunt gathered up his resolve, formed his plan and started flying towards the gaping maw of the beast.

At such a size, it should have been ponderous, clumsy and easy to track. Instead the creature seemed to 'shimmer and ended up in a different place, accompanied by a cloud of rising dust and debris. What the... was it teleporting?

No. Not teleporting - the hops were small, in comparison to it's size. It was fast. Haunt looked in it's wake. Heroes scattered where they'd been swatted away. Some dazed, some unconscious. Was that ... Endeavour down there? The Paragon like super heroine who seemed capable of boosting her abilities to accomplish almost any task? A quick glance showed...

Scarlet Centurion, Hammerblow, Giggle Girl, SteelMax, Mindgrip, Charmer and Fiery Fox all down. New-ish heroes who had recently appeared 'on the scene' and scored reasonable successes against established bad guys. All were dazed, unconscious or perhaps worse. Another glance showed other brightly coloured costumed types in similar states of disarray. There was a veritable army here, and many were UKChampions. Some of the more powerful ones, like Excelsior, Majestic and Overboost appeared dishevelled and confused. They'd thrown everything at this thing and it had rebuffed them. Majestic was a strong Class 4 Superhuman, able to go toe to toe with just about anyone and extremely experienced, yet here he was trying to corale a creature that swatted him like a fly from the sky and left him dazed as he tried to figure out just what had happened!

Getting closer, the creature turned and with a blur of it's hand, attacked!

OOC Initiative...

I will try and update this tomorrow - sorry to leave you hanging (!) but I need to fully flesh out the character that Dr P has become. I have just about finished the write up but run out of time. Suffice to say it is the most powerful challenge Haunt (and most of the gathered heroes here - I will name drop some more from the Who's Who of a couple of years ago as I describe the battle) has yet faced!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon on Wed Dec 06 2017, 15:49

ooc: for the images, just try logging into digitalcomicmuseum.com. Then going over to Quality Comics, then Police Comics and then preview or download issue 11.
Basic story is evil magician/alchemist "dies" and is buried but his evil brain is alive. He takes over the body of a paralyzed man who is in a wheelchair, makes him grow to giant size, dragging his legs behind him, smashing houses and killing the folks inside until Plastic Man shows up to try to stop him and gets eaten for his pains.
Basically, helpless cripple forced to do evil things that he can't stop himself from doing and has to die in order to be stopped. As I said, pretty horrific story.

All those comics, btw, are in public domain so lots and lots of stuff from the 30s and 40s there.
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Dec 08 2017, 20:48

OOC Apologies for the delay. I did hope to get more updating done this week but have had too much on Sad Next week I am away in Lanzarote (as the only holiday I've managed to get on this year) and my timing could have been better (instead of two weeks before Christmas) but it was this or nothing so...

Anyway. First of all, (DISCLAIMER!) this is the most powerful foe Haunt has ever faced, and right up there with some of the big bads all you guys have tackled over the years...

Second...

The CREATURE wins initiative...

Roll(2d10)+0: 1,9,+0 Total:10 + AoF 13 (23) vs TN11 + INT (19)= +3 Effect (16) vs RV10. 6RAPs

As Haunt got close he felt something he would not normally recognise. Indeed, perhaps it was something akin to what his own foes felt when he unleashed his powerful fear effect.

Except on a much large scale.

He felt the urge to run, to hide, to leave the scene as quick as he could!

OOC Absorb this as damage with HP - I'll assume so otherwise Haunt will have to flee!

HAUNT HP 264

Gritting his teeth, the hero flew on even as he saw below dozens of police and army personnel frozen in fear, along with others - government agents, some lesser known supers who even Haunt didn't recognise, and one or two of those ROOK androids he'd seen off. The other ROOKs he saw were dismembered smashed smoking ruins in vaguely humanoid shape.

They were all helpless.

Dr P, or whatever he'd turned into, needed stopping!

Haunt grit his teeth, ignoring the fear and some distant shouting. Telling him to get back, fool, you'll die...

OOC Roll(2d10)+0:  5,8,+0 Total:13 + Dex 18 (superspeed) (31) vs Dex 9 + TN11 (20). Hit +5 Effect. This is going to hurt.

Effect 35 vs RV 13 = 22 Damage. Haunt can absorb 13 but there's no point. It's not killing combat, so he's walloped for 22 damage (he's on 7 Body hence the no point in absorbing anything. Were he uninjured he could have absorbed enough to stay conscious from what was a Dr Manhattan level hit, but he's 3 points shy of being able to do that).

There was a blur. How could anything so big move so...

Then pain.

Darkness.

=========

"...hear me? C'mon dammit mate..."

The voice was familiar.

Haunt was awake. The pain had gone. Was that a good or bad thing?

he opened his eyes and saw... a familiar face? Yes. Yeoman. He'd met him once. Good guy, worked with the Vanguard every now and again. friend of Wandafar, Frostbite, Lionheart.

Lionheart. How useful would he be right now, with his inhuman speed!

"Good to see you're still us. Fool move mind. You literally splattered like a white slime patch all over the rubble of this building. You seemed to be twisting even as you fell, forming your body around something? What...?" asked Yeoman.

The vial!

Haunt gasped, then concentrated. The vial emerged from within his hand as he held his palm open. It was unbroken, protected despite the bone shattering impact. Why hadn't the creature killed him? It was capable ... unless.. something was holding it back. His friend, Praetorious. Somewhere in that beast he was still alive, fighting, straining to hold it back!

Where was it...?

Yeoman saw the look. "It took off. Moved. I thought it teleported at first, but it appeared about a mile away in a cloud of dust. It's fast... seems to adapt and gain powers it needs to win. The strength, speed... attacking that thing en masse with all the heroes basically gave it a blank canvas to copy and paste powers it needed as it saw fit! Man, I got close and nearly froze in terror! What... hey hold on, you just took a huge hit... what?"

Haunt rose to his feet. His costume was shredded in places, but reformed, like the skin underneath. His regenerative powers were incredible, and had roused him hours, days even, before he should have been able to get up. That he was alive was a miracle. That blow! Closing his eyes, he could still feel the bone shattering impact, and he was a hero who could pretty much ignore anything smaller than a battleships' main guns! Less experienced or powerful heroes had no chance! Exposure to the stronger heroes had empowered the beast so it could beat all of them...

If Lionheart had been here, it would be even MORE powerful... Haunt glanced at the vial. Then up at the creature, now a couple of miles away and striding away, clouds of dust in its wake. If more heroes turned up, it's powers would increase with every one, and it would become invincible! He needed to stop it now!

OOC Haunt is back on FULL body...

HAUNT BODY 13/13
HP 264

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4