The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard - Frostbite Issue #3

2 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The NEW Vanguard - Frostbite Issue #3 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard - Frostbite Issue #3

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jul 29 2015, 08:07

Admin wrote:Frostbite turned to where the jet was receding, flying low and presumably evading radar. Even at this distance he could see it was 'shimmering' and appearing to change colour. The incoming Superhumans would fly in like bulls in a china shop, and his team, depleted as they were, might be caught in a crossfire. Whatever was in that case must have been important enough to steal from the American ambassador and create this international incident. The Ambassador, his family and staff had merely been bait to draw such as the Ultrahumans away. The question was, could Frostbite risk his people in order to pursue that craft?

OOC: Ok I've notionally got an idea for a plan, but it requires me trying to contact Sentinel and his team, to basically explain what is going on, and that the real target is the jet speeding off trying so hard to remain unnoticed - big clue. That if they want they can send a team mate to help mop up with mine, but that the real target is what they've got away with, the ambassador's kidnapping was the rouse needed to cover it. Assuming I can do that I will go after the jet. If not, then it'll have to be the case that its the one that got away. Not much else I can do about it and best I get the team out, before the American's pummel my team into the back of beyond thinking we're the bad guys or something.

Frostbite looked at the Jet and asked Frostbot to punch him into the income teams coms. He didn't know if he could do it, but if possible it might yet be possible not only to save the day but also save the world from some as yet unknown threat that the the jet was trying to steal away.

OOC: As much as it bugs me to see the jet leave, the primary concern of my mission is the team, so whatever happens if I am not satisfied as to their safety then assume team first in whatever way you resolve this. Getting them out safely is my priority, if they can't do that without help then I stay to help. Otherwise the Jet is my next objective assuming I can convince my fellow American's we're on the same side.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard - Frostbite Issue #3 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard - Frostbite Issue #3

Post  Admin Sat Aug 01 2015, 23:25

OOC Frostbite is looking to persuade the incoming heroes that he's not the bad guy, and that the jet needs to be stopped. Frostbot takes only moments to hook into their comms channels, despite them being encrypted. Persuasion is a subskill of the CHARISMA skill which Frostbite doesn't have (unskilled use +2CS difficulty to opposing and resistance values - i.e. its harder to do). With that in mind effectively he's not the most persuasive person going, especially when faced by superhumans who'd rather punch first and ask questions when the dust has settled and you wake up behind bars!

So with that in mind, do you want to spend hero points (up to 7 on acting, up to 7 on effect) for the check?

I will also give a small bonus if you can cook up a short message to say to the heroes that will make them pause in their actions. Frostbot has stated that their comms channel, whilst hacked, is a one shot deal. It will scramble to a random code (which will take time to crack) or shut down completely if the comms system is totally compromised. They have some smart peopl building their tech - equivalent of Reed Richards and Tony Stark level smart.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Aug 02 2015, 13:46

Admin wrote:OOC Frostbite is looking to persuade the incoming heroes. Persuasion is a subskill of the CHARISMA skill which Frostbite doesn't have (unskilled use +2CS difficulty to opposing and resistance values - i.e. its harder to do). With that in mind effectively he's not the most persuasive person going, especially when faced by superhumans who'd rather punch first and ask questions when the dust has settled and you wake up behind bars!

So with that in mind, do you want to spend hero points (up to 7 on acting, up to 7 on effect) for the check?

OOC: "Yes I do want to try and use HP 7/7 as you suggest as well as saying something.

Frostbite took a moment and then said in his easy to follow American accent...

"Heroes the real villain is using us all to escape with that which they've stolen from your Ambassador, who is safe at present. The real enemy's vehicle is cloaked and escaping, however a wideband sweep will show you and avert an avalanche of problems that will follow if you don't take advantage to avert their getaway."

Frostbite knew it was a long shot but had to hope that searching for the vehicle would not impede their progress and may instead be taken as wise advice. After all it was difficult enough to think how else to put it in as short a message as made sense in the given time. He also hoped that being American, in an American crisis might go someway to helping his message get across. Of course this all might be for nothing if their sensors were not as sophisticated as their coms and they couldn't detect the craft. In which case a world of hurt might fall and on them not to mention what might be escaping to cause who knew what havoc on that craft.

Frostbite waited running through various contingency plans if this one shot deal failed. He couldn't help wonder as well what this might have done for the team's moral let alone lives from the injuries they'd picked up.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 04 2015, 23:06

OOC You get the bonus. Let's see what the dice say...

2d10 → [2,1] = (3)

Oh. My. Word. That's invisible castle for you. You've had a run of decent rolls to get you through the fight (well, decent for everyone else, staggeringly brilliant for you) but the dice are back to their usual shenanigans. This makes things... complicated.

Silver Centurion speeds ahead of his team mates, and swoops in, almost too fast for Frostbite to see!

"Tell it to the judge, punk!" he snarls, and scythes an uppercut designed to take Frostbites head off, or at least rattle his teeth!

OOC Yeeeowch. Centurion wins initiative (no roll needed, he's that much faster). Do you want to pile hp into defence (opposing value and resistance) in order to buy time to slow this chump down enough to listen? Frostbite has a staggeringly powerful attack of his own to use, but needs chance to use it. Currently:

FROSTBITE HP 108

Otherwise the chances are that Centurion will one shot Frostbite. yes he's THAT powerful. Your call. In this case you've done everything you could and spent everything possible, but still got gouged (BADLY!) by the dice. That's just pure hard luck, but it's not all bad. Hopefully.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Aug 05 2015, 11:18

Admin wrote:OOC Yeeeowch. Centurion wins initiative (no roll needed, he's that much faster). Do you want to pile hp into defence (opposing value and resistance) in order to buy time to slow this chump down enough to listen? Frostbite has a staggeringly powerful attack of his own to use, but needs chance to use it. Currently:

FROSTBITE HP 108

Otherwise the chances are that Centurion will one shot Frostbite. yes he's THAT powerful. Your call. In this case you've done everything you could and spent everything possible,  but still got gouged (BADLY!) by the dice. That's just pure hard luck, but it's not all bad. Hopefully.

OOC:One has to wonder if there is any way this ends well. Down to my stupid inability to command a good roll, not matter how much I try to execute a good plan I seem to fall flat on my face no matter what. I appreciate the fun of falling forward, however I wonder if against such superior foes my best bet is to surrender, and take the heat (no pun intended) out of this situation. After all the Ambassador can vouch for my team's attempts to help. Then again knowing how awful things go for me, he'd as likely charge me with being in on the act from the beginning. Anyway, yes add HP to the reaction, since there is no way I'd wake up from this punch any other way. And then its either

a) try and talk, whilst offering no offensive reasons to attack back
b) coupled with dispersal so as to not continue to be a punching bag
c) with the idea that I know where their ambassador is, 'do they really want to knock out the one person who knows more than they do currently?'
d) followed by, 'can we please now talk - because you guys goofed big time, however we're all in for the bill to be paid' discussion.

If that sequence of events fails to take, i.e. they don't want to talk and aren't open to listening then I'd best get out, get my friends and forget we were ever here.

And then see what is next.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 08 2015, 01:04

OOC Max HP added to defence, dispersal active and hoping the dice are kinder. Without even looking at what Invisible castle chucks out I suspect you're in for a wild ride (haven't gone to IC to check out the roll yet). 17HP spent, down to

FROSTBITE HP 91

And here we go...

2d10 → [10,2] = (12)

Frostbite didn't even see the blow coming - this guy was as fast as Lionheart, surely!

Even dispersed, he felt his atoms displaced somehow, as if he were of liquid and a ripple had passed through him! Nonetheless, at his most defensive Frostbite had avoided being smeared across the wall of the Embassy. For now.

The American Hero slashed through Frostbite and recovered in the blink of an eye, his keen mind assessing the problem and finding a solution near instantaneously! "PHOTONIX!" he shouted "Fire an inverse tachyon cluster at this guy! That will give him something to think about!"

'Indeed.' said Frostbot. 'That would. If you were to remain dispersed with such an effect nearby, the tachyons would be drawn to you and prevent you from remaining together. You would be forced to become solid or find yourself dispersed further away than you might be able to recover from! It seems these superhumans have encountered someone with abilities like you own before.'

"I'm not fighting back!" Frostbite shouted. The hero known as Photonix, a black man in a shiny silver suit with a domino mask, paused. Centurion called out "Don't listen to him! We need to get in there and save the Ambassador!"

"Who has already BEEN saved!" spluttered Frostbite. "By me! The bad guys are getting away with... with something though!"

Silver Centurion seemed to stare at the floor for a moment, then took a step back. "You're right. Who are you? And what was that about getting away with something?"

Frostbite nearly breathed a sigh of relief, then looked to where the jet had been.

Gone.

What now?

"You'd better not try anything." growled Silver Centurion. "The last time I was here in Britain I felt fairly sure I didn't want to get mixed up with this place again, and here I am. Even now there's all sorts of political wrangling going on about our activities being unsanctioned. I need to get to the bottom of this and get away from here, before I lose my patience with this jumped up little country!"

Frostbite could tell Silver Centurion didn't like Britain much. The problem now was, where had that jet gone, and what exactly had it gotten away with?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 08 2015, 12:47

Admin wrote:Gone.

What now?

"You'd better not try anything." growled Silver Centurion. "The last time I was here in Britain I felt fairly sure I didn't want to get mixed up with this place again, and here I am. Even now there's all sorts of political wrangling going on about our activities being unsanctioned. I need to get to the bottom of this and get away from here, before I lose my patience with this jumped up little country!"

Frostbite could tell Silver Centurion didn't like Britain much. The problem now was, where had that jet gone, and what exactly had it gotten away with?

"Frostbite, that is who I am. The ship which was the real target here, with something on it that these people wanted to get out is gone. I very much doubt you'll find it. You'd best make the most of a bad situation and come with me and get your ambassador and his staff. My people are injured I need to get them away before we all take too much heat from this day."

With that Frostbite turned to the Embassy, for the first time he felt quite ashamed of his own country, that people like this thought more of action first and thinking through a situation second. If he had learned anything from having great power in his time as a hero, it was that great power could make you both arrogant and complacent. Two things he felt were sadly in evidence today.

He radioed ahead to make sure that what was left of his team were relatively clear, and that the Ambassador's location and safety, which was no paramount.

OOC:"Ok so head back to the Embassy, hand over the Ambassador and try and find out any details they might have. I will then hand the case over to our American team, since they are going to be far better prepared than I or my team will be. I need to rethink our strategy and the teams training. Perhaps there is a NPC who can do a better job, since I can't be trusted with them given my improbably abilities with even electron random dice rolls ;-). Which might be for the best, looking after them is hard work when you have to constantly be mindful of their weaknesses, and the nature of PBEM combat. By the way, didn't say this in Lionheart's thread, but nice summery including the small combat sections as well. Got us to where we needed to be.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 15 2015, 01:53

Silver Centurion was about to say something else, but stared at the ground the pair stood on instead.

With a sigh he looked back at Frostbite. "I owe you an apology it seems. The Ambassador IS safe, and with his family in the basement of this place. Judging by the ice in that main room I gather you were responsible for the stopping of those metahumans. I would normally say that we can bring them to justice but it is we who are on foreign soil, technically, so we will grab our people and go."

He turned, then looked about. "I don't see anything. Let's see... X-Ray, Ultra Violet, Thermal... ahhh. It may be invisible but the exhaust leaves a thermal trail. They are heading south east from here, towards the English channel. Speed approximately... 400 miles per hour. I suppose they are limited by the use of the cloak on their jet. Any faster and it would light them up like a beacon on radar and drop the visual camouflage."

He seemed to tip his head to one side, as if listening. "Yes, I am aware of that. We are retrieving the ambassador and will be out of here in moments. Yes, the Secretary of State is going to have to wait though. I have business to clear up h..."

He looked annoyed, then turned to Frostbite. "My apologies. You have done your country a great service." He pressed a stud on the side of his helmet. "A word of advice, friend. Never climb into bed with your countries Intelligence agencies. You will find yourself questioning everything you do. I have to go. Apologies again, for the mix up."

He nodded, respectful, then spun on the spot, drilling through the roof and vanishing at speed whilst he made arrangements to collect the Ambassador, his family and his staff.

=========

Reflex was battered but tried to keep a look of disgust from her face.

Rebuff was the reason why, and she shook her head as she glanced at him. She looked up as Frostbite floated through the ceiling and came over to them. "Boss." she said quietly. "It's Impulse... I... I don't know if he's still alive."

The pair of them moved through the holes in the walls to a room full of broken brick and plaster, and the equally broken body of Impulse lying awkwardly. Frostbite rushed over and felt for a pulse. Nothing. No, wait.

Faint. He was in a very bad way. Possibly internal injuries. Over the comms Mary spoke up "We need to get you out of there, fast! The Azerhajani consulate has apparently made loud complaints about its sovereign territory having been invaded by superhumans and is demanding diplomatic immunity for its own people, stating that the US Ambassador was a guest of their country and our teams intrusion is an act of war! Like that's going to stick. Anyway, we need to get out before it gets messier. Inbound, eta 1 minute. See if you can meet me on the roof."

Traveller was injured, badly, though still conscious. Frostbite blamed himself, but Reflex seemed to empathise with her commander. "Frostbite. I just want you to know... you're not to blame. We knew what we were getting into. Our inexperience cost us, but we won, We WON! Don't you see? The Ambassador is safe, we stopped the bad guys and with a bit of luck will get out before anything else kicks off. We just... maybe need more training."

'Extrapolating the course of the fleeing stealth jet.' said Frostbot. 'If it continues on its present course it will cross the channel shortly and head towards France, then Germany. There is a chance you can catch it.'

Frostbite looked to his people. They were battered. Whatever was on that jet, was it more important than getting his team out of here and back to base, so they could get medical attention? He'd handed the case over to the American team, but they seemed equally as reluctant to get involved. It seemed that Silver Centurion had been 'burned' by his previous experience here in the so called superhero 'Civil War' some years ago and wanted to just get in and out. That left Frostbite as the sole hero who had a chance of stopping the jet!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 17 2015, 20:29

Admin wrote:'Extrapolating the course of the fleeing stealth jet.' said Frostbot. 'If it continues on its present course it will cross the channel shortly and head towards France, then Germany. There is a chance you can catch it.'

Frostbite looked to his people. They were battered. Whatever was on that jet, was it more important than getting his team out of here and back to base, so they could get medical attention? He'd handed the case over to the American team, but they seemed equally as reluctant to get involved. It seemed that Silver Centurion had been 'burned' by his previous experience here in the so called superhero 'Civil War' some years ago and wanted to just get in and out. That left Frostbite as the sole hero who had a chance of stopping the jet!

OOC:Sorry for late reply, been away seeing family and packed light so couldn't reply till now...

Whatever he did next he couldn't just leave the others to struggle on alone. The Army had taught him discipline, courage and more than anything unit cohesion and loyalty. He had to make sure his people were safe, before he ran off and got himself into more trouble. With the rest of the team, who knows where. On separate missions of their own, now more than ever he needed to wise in the way he dealt with what he did next.

"Frostbot has given me a trajectory for the jet, but before I go launching after it we need to get our man some much needed medical attention. So lets pick it up and get onboard our jet. We can debrief and work out what to do on their."

With no further ado, lifting the injured Impulse to the jet moving as gentle as flight would allow as he hovered over debris, through doors and to the quickest route they'd got to the jet. Once aboard he lift Impulse onto a waiting makeshift cot and gave orders to get them out of there.

OOC:Ok so with impulse this bad, near death, what are the chances that Wandafar and the mansion has a hospital wing or some way to make sure Impulse doesn't end up a permanent cripple out of this? If we do not have the facilities within the group, Frostbite will need to get him to a hospital on the down low. Strip off costume, get on some civies and go with him to get him in, type of thing. If it's the later option I see no point chasing the jet, as Impulse will need 24 hour guarding to make sure those who kidnapped him in the first place, don't try it again. Or some other sinister organisation etc. If we can get him the much needed attention then I'll follow up on the jet as best I can. All depends what happens next. I'd best make sure either way I keep Wandafar abreast of what is happening.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Aug 24 2015, 22:00

OOC Apologies for delay. Mixture of work and literally not being able to get near a keyboard, thank the school holidays for that Sad Only 2 weeks left before respite. Don't get me wrong spending time with the kids is nice but when its work all day then start again when you get home it gets on your nerves - especially for 6-7 weeks Sad Am sure you understand Shocked Anyway, back to it.

Mary spoke over the comms "We have some medical facilities on board. At the mansion there is a more extensive setup, thanks to our diminutive friend"

The roar of the jet indicated the pilot wasn't hanging about, and Mary swung it in over the mansion as Frostbite gathered his battered allies on the roof for pickup. He'd jury rigged a stretcher from hard ice and covered it with a curtain snatched from a room.

By now the mansion was being stormed by conventional authorities and it was time to leave. Despite having unofficial clearance from the Ministry of Defence the red tape would surely snarl things up with regards getting attention to the wounded team mates. Traveller and Impulse couldn't wait that long, Rebuff was of no use to anyone and Reflex was putting on a brave face, albeit one covered with bruises and blood.

'The Stealth vessel will have left British airspace by now' stated Frostbot. Frostbite had finished helping his team mates aboard and looked at the direction the jet had been going in. Whatever they'd taken in the briefcase from the American Ambassador would be the USA's problem, but he wondered if it might come back to bite him. He and his team had done their part. The Ambassador, his family and their staff were safe, and foreign superhumans were on ice for the time being. Things being as they are though he knew that the diplomatic process would see them freed. Technically a foreign embassy was off limits, and it was only thanks to the grey status of superhumans with regards the law that they could be invaded, as such. On the flipside the foreign power could claim diplomatic immunity for their people and lodge an official complaint, probably blaming the kidnapping on some misunderstanding seeing as the only witnesses were the kidnapped people and the superhumans who'd rescued them. In order to avoid a diplomatic incident, things would be noisy for 48 hours then quiet down.

Behind the scenes Frostbite knew his countrymen would be fuming, and sorting their own solution to the problem.

He sagged back into a seat as the jet, in stealth mode, cruised on autopilot as Mary monitored the badly injured team members in their separate medical cocoons. She glanced at Frostbite and spoke quietly "It's... not looking good for Impulse. Wandafars machines are as good as any surgeon though. Hopefully he'll hang on."

They'd won. Beaten the bad guy, saved the victims and gotten out mostly in one piece, but the price had been high indeed. He looked at the pale form of Impulse and frowned. Everyone knew the risks, came with the powers and the uniform. Even so...

=========

"Zey vill be fine." declared Wandafar, hours later.

"Impulse hez serious injuries, broken bones, internal bleeding. He is busted up. Traveller has internal bleeding but is stable now. Both vill be out of action for..." he shrugged. "Depends on how tough zey are. From ze sounds of sings you kicked ess viz zet power of yours. Is always ze same. You hef limits, a line you vill not cross because of fear of vot you can do, but what if the fear is greater for what vill heppen if you do not cross zet line? Zen, only zen, vill you know vot you are capable of. Vell done."

He passed a cup of coffee over to Frostbite and settled into a leather chair, frowning. "I hef used my contacts und hecked where I could to get information. Ze Ambassador voz doing a favour transporting zet briefcase for his government. I do not know vot voz in it but if you are interested a name popped up. Doctor Sandra Koshelvik. Her father is Leonid Koshelvik, former top soviet scientist who defected to west some years ago. She carry on his work in field of cybernetics after he contracted serious case of radiation poisoning. Russians up to old tricks I sink. Anyway, drugs and treatment too expensive to pay for so she done deal I guess. Whatever in zet case for treatment to Father. Now case is gone, Father dying, Americans mad and somebody hef something valuable in case. I hef an address for her..."

OOC If you post a reply will wrap up this thread and start a new one along with Lionhearts, probably tomorrow I should think (have to hit sack for work, bit of a grueller but at least the kids will be in bed when I finally get home tomorrow. The trail for the case (and whatever is in it) went cold when the bad guys got away with it over the channel, possibly, but there is still a lead and the plot will thicken...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 25 2015, 07:38

Admin wrote:Whatever in zet case for treatment to Father. Now case is gone, Father dying, Americans mad and somebody hef something valuable in case. I hef an address for her..."

OOC If you post a reply will wrap up this thread and start a new one along with Lionhearts, probably tomorrow I should think (have to hit sack for work, bit of a grueller but at least the kids will be in bed when I finally get home tomorrow. The trail for the case (and whatever is in it) went cold when the bad guys got away with it over the channel, possibly, but there is still a lead and the plot will thicken...

OOC:Totally understand mate and yes its difficult to kept from the things you might like to be doing, but at the same time I can wait however your children cannot. One they've grown, believe me, they've grown.

Frostbite was visible relieved at the news Wandafar had brought. He sat slowly in the chair as the full weight of what they'd been through hit him. Like a weightlifter struggling with a huge lift straining to keep the weight above his head, Frostbite seemed to suddenly let go. He listened to Wandafar's words relieved to have something else to think about and felt only a pang of guilt as he let the news distract him from his immediate concerns.

"I'd like to get to the bottom of this, a second crack at what was going on would be much appreciated. Besides if we can also find out more about who is behind this, we might be able to make a few friends with my American counterparts. Who knows, we could do with earning some favour."

Letting Wandafar's words sink in, Frostbite waited till the man started to relay the information, pleased that something worthwhile might yet come out of this mission.

OOC:Right lets go for it. We'll follow things up from here and find out what we can next.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3