The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2

3 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2

Post  Admin Sun Nov 30 2014, 23:05

OOC The absolute maximum damage he can cause? That would be Superspeed. He can't boost it any higher (limited to max of 14APs regardless of pushing) so he can add say 9HP to Attack, 19 to damage, then go for a devastating attack. I'll assume you spend those 28HP, this leaves Lionheart on 72HP.

Roll(2d10)+0:
9,3,+0
Total:12

That'll do it. His power reserve exacts a toll (roll of 16) and Lionheart takes 3RAPs of mental damage leaving him on 6 Mind (from 9).

Using his superspeed and focusing on damaging the object under the ocean floor, he speeds out of the darkness field before Nightbird or Aquanaut have a chance to object!

The Squidborg spin in his wake as he speeds past them and he swims down to the blue hull of the vile alien craft/being before delivering thousands of damaging karate blows!

The water boils from his speed, and the blue turns red then orange then white from the heat!

There's almost a heartbeat of delay, then the thing under the ocean floor convulses, sending out a shockwave that sends Lionheart reeling through the water and spat out of the ocean trench! The rumbling that reverberates reminds him of a huge earthquake, and the cavern collapses in on itself, filling the water with a cloud of silt and dirt, and causing the water to collapse inwards on the trench!

Lionheart can't see, and his Danger Sense is going crazy! Swimming what he thought was up (the underwater earthquake would register high on the Richter Scale), Lionheart instead crashed into the ocean floor and bounced along the bottom...

The quake lasted some moments, and Lionheart looked about. The dirt and silt would muddy the water for hours, maybe longer.

"Lionheart?" questioned a voice. Nightbird! She was alive, at least! "Did you... did you do that? I'm above the water, there was a swell... a wave is heading to the coast, and it's getting bigger!" she called out. The reception was fuzzy, but Lionheart got the meaning clearly enough - coastal villages were about to be hit with a Tsunami unless he could somehow stop it!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! LIONHEART Issue #2

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Dec 01 2014, 19:04

Admin wrote:"Lionheart?" questioned a voice. Nightbird! She was alive, at least! "Did you... did you do that? I'm above the water, there was a swell... a wave is heading to the coast, and it's getting bigger!" she called out. The reception was fuzzy, but Lionheart got the meaning clearly enough - coastal villages were about to be hit with a Tsunami unless he could somehow stop it!

Lionheart mentally chided himself for not thinking about the repercussions of such a devastating blow. He'd have to think this over at length later, but now he had to act, get ahead of the wave and somehow use its considerable mounting force to turn back on itself.

Moving ahead, not daring to slow down or speak up, he moved forward ahead of the growing wave, all he could hope to do was to somehow collapse one wave into another. If he could do what he had just managed to do, but so that the wave built up from the shore and 'meet' the incoming Tusnami then, possibly then he might take the worst out of the wave before it had a chance to hit. If he didn't hundred's of lives would be lost, totally unaware of the oncoming danger.

OOC:Oh boy never rains and all that. Right so I want to attempt to do what I've just done but going the opposite way so as to try and force one wave to crash into the oncoming wave and dissipate its energy, if I can. Then once I've got the wave crashing into the other, I use my flight and super speed to try and tornado back the remaining water that gets through, or isn't somehow held back. This is where I could do with some good rolls.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 04 2014, 21:57

Using his immense speed, Lionheart 'poured' it on, hoping to cancel out the Tsunami with one of his own!

He sped over the sea, rain lashing his forcefield, then swooped low, saw the oncoming swell, and blasted as low as he could to create an almighty wake that would cause an opposing swell... and either slow or stop the Tsunami in it's tracks!

OOC Lionheart is capped at 14 Speed (a weakness) so he's really hoping to use that in the best way possible by picking the right angle to fly and right altitude, then hoping it will work. This then will be an Intelligence/Will test (to figure it out) against a HERCULEAN task (12 OV/RV). I will assume Lionheart uses HP to boost Int/Will to 16/9 (His Will is 5, so he can only boost it to the 9-10 column, hence spending 4HP to get it to 9). He still needs a roll of 11 to succeed though!

2d10 → [5,6] = (11) Heh, that'll do it.

2 Result APs, which is fine (1 would do)

Lionheart HP Total 60

Streaking low he creates a sonic boom not once, but several times as he races along the Scottish coastline!

Straining, he turns and loops up in the air, through the clouds, then down again into the rain to see the results, hoping, praying...

His heart sinks...

Nothing! He'd fai... wait!

With a huge crash of water into the air, there forms an outwards heading wave that drives towards that coming into shore! Both build up, until...

CRASH!

Smashing nearly a hundred feet upwards, the water clashes and falls back. There is still an outwards wave heading out to sea, but that will soon dissipate a few miles out into the North Sea. As the waves settle, he sees the great white wake of water form a huge circle going across several miles, and finally understands that the thing he faced was immense!

And it was still down there, albeit buried under the ocean floor!

Nightbird soared up, all dark form barely stand out in the night sky. "That was... that was amazing! How... how...?"

Lionheart didn't answer. Looking at the grey swell he knew that there were heroes still down there. The submarines and their crew were lost, the alien spacecraft/creature had been hurt and would recover, and that Aquanaut was still trapped aboard it.

Was this a problem he could tackle on his own... well, with Nightbirds help, or did he need to call in more 'big guns'? The problem was, might they also fall sway to the thing under the ocean, as Stonelord and Captain Valiant had? Could he be making the problem worse by bringing others in? As the rain lashed him as he hovered over the waves, he knew there and then he needed to act... but which path to take?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Dec 05 2014, 10:42

Admin wrote:Lionheart didn't answer. Looking at the grey swell he knew that there were heroes still down there. The submarines and their crew were lost, the alien spacecraft/creature had been hurt and would recover, and that Aquanaut was still trapped aboard it.

Was this a problem he could tackle on his own... well, with Nightbirds help, or did he need to call in more 'big guns'? The problem was, might they also fall sway to the thing under the ocean, as Stonelord and Captain Valiant had? Could he be making the problem worse by bringing others in? As the rain lashed him as he hovered over the waves, he knew there and then he needed to act... but which path to take?

OOC:I am so glad you mentioned Hero points, I used them up last adventure so fast I thought I'd gone into a negative pool or something. Thank goodness for them, these solo adventures don't allow much of a margin of error, if I get this wrong I feel like I'd could really come unstuck. Having said that its not as if this is like D&D where TPK's can be a regular occurrence.

Lionheart looked stricken for a moment, but the creature was on the ropes. Getting more people down here only gave it the chance to regroup and threaten more heroes. Not that tackling it alone was any easier. After all, if Lionheart had got it backed into a corner it was going to still be a formidable foe to face.

We go on, we've got to finish this before that thing has a chance and whilst we've got it on the back foot. Come on, let see if we can't finish it for good.

And with that Lionheart dove once again beneath the waves, not waiting for a response. He swam at his speed induced rate hoping this time not to cause such collateral damage to the surrounding area. But first he had to get closer. Reaching out, he contacted Aquanaut, "Aquanaut, not much that we can see through this muck, is there anything you can tell us from within. Any clue as to where to strike, now we've given it something to rattle it cage?"

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Dec 09 2014, 23:35

Lionheart forced his way through the freezing waves, wild currents and impenetrable silt.

His danger sense wailed all the while, but his force field protected him from anything untowards. Near the ocean floor he could only guess which direction to go in. He called up Aquanaut... and got only static!

Pushing on, he got deeper and deeper, hearing rumbling like an earthquake.

"....said something is happ..." said Aquanaut in his earpiece!

Lionheart turned, seeing only darkness and silt! What was...

Something rushed out of the gloom and darkness, something MASSIVE!

A hand, followed by an arm, that would dwarf a house, a boat... the arm longer than a football field! Made of metal, reaching up! In it's wake Lionheart was tossed, swirling, and righted himself, to feel the swell as the rest of the body, having unfurled from the huge mass of the main form, started to rise out of the depths!

OOC We have a giant robot alert! This thing is HEEEEEEEUGE! Lionheart still can't see how big, but think 'Iron Giant' probably twice as big, maybe a bit more Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Dec 10 2014, 08:04

Admin wrote:OOC We have a giant robot alert! This thing is HEEEEEEEUGE! Lionheart still can't see how big, but think 'Iron Giant' probably twice as big, maybe a bit more Smile

Curious more than concerned, Lionheart pondered the wisdom of having a creature made of iron fight beneath the waves. Its blows and its attacks would be somewhat disadvantaged by the depth of water. But did that therefore indicate the true desperation of the alien creature. Lionheart moved in, more cautious but no less agile and speedy as he sought to come at the creature using its bulk against it, whislt he zipped around seeking ways to get at it and or stop it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 14 2014, 21:54

As the muck cleared and the blue glow of the robots 'skin' lit up more of the detail, Lionheart was pretty sure whatever it was made of, this thing was NOT of Earthly origin...

So thoughts and hopes of it rusting in place beneath the ocean waves were soon quashed!

He kept his distance as it kept rising, and broke the surface. With four arms and two legs, a body that extended into a cone like neckless head reaching hundreds of feet high into the air, it was more like a squid that could use some or all of its limbs to attack or propel itself with.

And it started to move towards the mainland of Scotland!

Nightbird called out, the reception crackling in Lionhearts ear "... do we do? There's only us two! Where are the others? I don't..."

She sounded desperate, but determined. That said, whatever she could do against a thing this size, she would.

Lionheart thought the same. How best to take something down that thought of him a gnat?

He looked at a spot on the things back, caved in and dented, sparking and with lightning playing over its surface. A gnat with a sting - even the mightiest creature could be brought down with enough stings! Lionheart looked at his hands and blurred them at super speed, fastest than an ordinary human could see!

It could boil down to him... then he noticed something else. The electricity playing about was not just at the wound, but all over the body - some kind of protective field? And like everything else about this thing, nothing would be weak or subtle about it!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Dec 14 2014, 22:11

Admin wrote:It could boil down to him... then he noticed something else. The electricity playing about was not just at the wound, but all over the body - some kind of protective field? And like everything else about this thing, nothing would be weak or subtle about it!

OOC:Ok quick question, if i got some ordinance from the ship, would something onboard be sufficiently powerful enough to make a difference to the robot? If not I'll not bother to go down that route, but instead go for the non subtle approach, power up my force field and go for a devastating attack using HP if need be to make sure it counters to the to hit accuracy penalty and try to hit the damage spot you've pointed out as hard as I can, hoping not to set off another Tsunami.

If however I can get ordinance easily that might make a dent, my aim is to get that fly back to the creature and do as planned above, but with the one addition that first I use the ordinance to crack open its shell from that spot.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 15 2014, 22:17

OOC Made a mess of that - all that typing (wasting precious posting time - I have only 15 mins left now Sad ) to cross some of Frostbites stuff with Lionheart. DOH! Let's try again.

Lionheart was fairly sure that whilst there may be weapons on the ship that could be used, chances were they were of the conventional variety...

In other words, perhaps enough to put a dent in a tank, but nowhere near lethal enough to scratch something of this size! That made Lionhearts' own attack even more impressive. With his own (force field reinforced) hands he could punch and strike thousands of times every second and pound a hole into this thing!

He was less effective against conventional living organisms unless he wanted to kill them - which was most certainly not his style. Luckily with this thing it seemed to be neither living nor mechanical, but something in between. If he could do enough damage to put the thing off, it might be willing to compromise, or leave.

His danger sense was going off all the time, reminding him that this thing was holding something powerful back...

As Lionheart zoomed over to where he'd struck before, he saw two beings coming towards him - one carrying the other which was far more massive. And stone-like.

Both had glowing blue eyes, and Lionheart didn't need for them to get closer to see that it was the mind controlled Captain Valiant and Stonelord!

If that weren't enough, another swarm of Squidborg - at least three dozen, were following in their wake! The goliath creature/machine continued on towards the mainland ...

OOC Lionheart will have to go round Captain Valiant/Stonelord and the Squidborg, but should he ignore them and attack the big thingy, he will leave his back vulnerable to attack by these guys...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 16 2014, 07:27

Admin wrote:OOC Made a mess of that - all that typing (wasting precious posting time - I have only 15 mins left now Sad  ) to cross some of Frostbites stuff with Lionheart. DOH! Let's try again.

OOC Lionheart will have to go round Captain Valiant/Stonelord and the Squidborg, but should he ignore them and attack the big thingy, he will leave his back vulnerable to attack by these guys...

OOC:Easily done when you're in a hurry mate.  

Lionheart felt he had no choice, leaving the 'small fish' to attack the big creature might be his preference, but in truth he felt he had no choice but to hamper them so as to be able to tackle the big fish.  He only hoped he had enough time before the 'iron giant' emerged where it could do far more harm.  

"Nightbird, we need to tackle this together." Lionheart said as he speed down, using his considerable force and speed, he'd hoped to both evade the significant attacks whilst seeking to incapacitate or slow down the creatures, so he could get past the starters and onto the main meal - namely this thing.  

OOC:Ok so plan of attack is to try and use my attacks, where possible to disable, so slow down speed rather than do lethal harm.  Moving to get these things out of the way before we get to the creature.  I'll use whatever combination seems most appropriate to avoid being entangled too much so I can stay light on my feet and able to effect a quick in and out striking pattern, hopefully with Nightbirds help.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Dec 22 2014, 23:54

OOC Not sure I made clear what targets were available (sorry) but you currently have:

1) Captain Valiant
2) Stonelord

These guys are mind controlled by the alien hivemind.

3) Squidborg (lots of these) are swimming alongside the two above, forming a barrier of sorts between Lionheart and the main man, which is:

4) The alien vessel/giant/creature which is marching/swimming towards the mainland.

You can go round 1,2 and 3 but they will be attacking you from behind. You can attack a whole bunch of guys but the more you attack the harder it is. Bear in mind with 22 Dex Lionheart is nothing short of an astonishing combatant - he won't normally miss in a one on one, but a couple of the guys you're up against are superhuman and therefore more agile than usual.

Also the attacks/damage you've inflicted against the big beastie thus far assume it is nonliving (a fair assumption). Lionheart can cut loose. The two mind controlled guys are definitely human and therefore trying to kill them is off the menu (well, unless you want to). You will do less damage against them. The squidborg might be considered alive as well, so trying to kill them is a bad idea for Lionhearts heroic status/peace of mind.

When not killing an opponent with martial arts you can attack with 22 Dex and damage on the 9-10 column of Str (using the Battery option of Martial arts) and go for a critical or devastating strike on opponents to up the damage. Hopefully that will get through. That assumes putting your 8 points of power reserve (psychic energy) into Superspeed. Another option is Mind blast which can be boosted to 13 using 6 points of power reserve, and take them down psychically.

Superspeed is your easiest to hit with option
Mental Blast is possibly your best option to take these guys down, as tank types tend to be less resistant to mind attacks than they are to punches, bombs and bullets.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

So, target/s, how you attack, going for critical/devastating attack?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Dec 23 2014, 07:57

Admin wrote:OOC Not sure I made clear what targets were available (sorry) but you currently have:

1) Captain Valiant
2) Stonelord

These guys are mind controlled by the alien hivemind.

3) Squidborg (lots of these) are swimming alongside the two above, forming a barrier of sorts between Lionheart and the main man, which is:

4) The alien vessel/giant/creature which is marching/swimming towards the mainland.

You can go round 1,2 and 3 but they will be attacking you from behind. You can attack a whole bunch of guys but the more you attack the harder it is. Bear in mind with 22 Dex Lionheart is nothing short of an astonishing combatant - he won't normally miss in a one on one, but a couple of the guys you're up against are superhuman and therefore more agile than usual.

Also the attacks/damage you've inflicted against the big beastie thus far assume it is nonliving (a fair assumption). Lionheart can cut loose. The two mind controlled guys are definitely human and therefore trying to kill them is off the menu (well, unless you want to). You will do less damage against them. The squidborg might be considered alive as well, so trying to kill them is a bad idea for Lionhearts heroic status/peace of mind.

When not killing an opponent with martial arts you can attack with 22 Dex and damage on the 9-10 column of Str (using the Battery option of Martial arts) and go for a critical or devastating strike on opponents to up the damage. Hopefully that will get through. That assumes putting your 8 points of power reserve (psychic energy) into Superspeed. Another option is Mind blast which can be boosted to 13 using 6 points of power reserve, and take them down psychically.

Superspeed is your easiest to hit with option
Mental Blast is possibly your best option to take these guys down, as tank types tend to be less resistant to mind attacks than they are to punches, bombs and bullets.

Hope that's a bit clearer.

So, target/s, how you attack, going for critical/devastating attack?

OOC:Yeah much clearer, to be honest I am not sure quiet what to do, as it seems like there is no easy way to take this lot down before the creature/robot gets to the coast. One thing I'd like to clear up though? We were attacking a great monster submerged in muck, that got a devastating attack and this robot emerged? Where is the creature or is part of it within the robot- sorry if I'm being impossible dense, but this had me a bit confused. As for damage non lethal is the way I am going for present and in terms of targets, I think I'll follow your advice and mind blast the heavy hitters to take them down and use martial arts against the squid borgs.

Lionheart moved toward his opponents, the murky silt filled water making it harder to see them so well in the swirling maelstrom of eddying currents. But as soon as he spotted the behemoth Stonelord, he let loose with all he had to try and take down the man. Although he was strong on the outside, he'd been easy prey to mental take down, Lionheart had to hope a critical mindblast now, with resources stretched thin, would be the weak chink in his otherwise impervious armour to taking the man down, safely as one could hope to.

As he moved forward he signalled to Nightbird to take on Valiant or at least keep him away from Lionheart till he could attempt to take him next. Both of them had, however the ongoing concern of the Squidborg creatures. Lionheart accepted that, they may end up taking a hit, to make a hit. Then as the murk momentarily cleared again, he let loose, his mind firmly fixed on Stonelord, hoping he didn't kill the man, as he let loose to incapacitate instead of kill.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Dec 31 2014, 23:00

OOC The monster IS the robot, I didn't make that clear, sorry. It's a cyborg type thing. Part organic, part machine, but not alive as a human would normally understand. More like undead, but able to regenerate and think with sentient thought, so like a D&D style bad guy Smile

Right then, Mindblast on Stonelord.

I assume you switch your power to Mind Blast and let the big guy have 13APs worth. using the D&D online dice roller as invisible castle is down. Again.

Roll 6+6 (DOUBLE!) plus 10,8 total 30 (!)

Lionheart let rip with his blast, wondering if it would do enough

When it struck he 'felt' rather than saw some kind of shield, like an overlay that needed breaking through. He smashed through that and punched - hard - into Stonelords mind!

He saw the huge man stiffen, then relax and start to drift to the bottom of the sea floor, unconscious and thus freed from the influence of that great creature/robot leviathan that was even now heading steadily towards the coast of Scotland!

Turning, Lionheart peered through the silt and saw a black silhouette of Captain Valiant, swinging wildly having been rendered utterly senseless by the darkness surrounding him. Not just sight, but hearing and all his other senses had been deprived! Whilst Nightbird had him 'held' like that he was little danger, swinging as he was away from Lionheart or Nightbird.

The Squidborg seemed confused. From being in a position of strength to seeing the powerful captive superhumans rendered useless in a matter of moments, they turned to catch up with the great host form of the robot/creature and form a rearguard against Lionheart should he choose to pursue.

OOC The energy surge Lionheart uses (power reserve) 'attacks' Lionheart as usual... 2+9 (11) not enough to damage him this time round, so no headaches or nosebleeds. The DC heroes system has been kind to LH - rolling 2D10 instead of 1D20 has its advantages I think. Actually as memory serves I think we were rolling 2D10 for GH in the last year of use weren't we? And the more you exceed the hit roll, the more damage you inflict? Will have to dig up the pdf on optional rules. For now carry on with DC Heroes rules so just allocate a Dice action (attack, usually) a move action (in LH case flying) and a non move/attack action (like talking) as usual.

The great beast/robot is now only a mile or so away from the coast. It took a little while to get going but is really shifting now - faster than the fastest speedboat! There's still no way to tell how big this thing is but judging by its wake it's probably bigger than the largest supertanker ever built, and that's saying something! For now LH has taken down Stonelord (drifting to ocean bottom) and Nightbird is 'holding' Valiant in her sensory deprivation but for how long...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 01 2015, 09:59

Admin wrote:[color=#0033ff]OOC The monster IS the robot, I didn't make that clear, sorry. It's a cyborg type thing. Part organic, part machine, but not alive as a human would normally understand. More like undead, but able to regenerate and think with sentient thought, so like a D&D style bad guy Smile[color=#0033ff]

OOC The energy surge Lionheart uses (power reserve) 'attacks' Lionheart as usual... 2+9 (11) not enough to damage him this time round, so no headaches or nosebleeds. The DC heroes system has been kind to LH - rolling 2D10 instead of 1D20 has its advantages I think. Actually as memory serves I think we were rolling 2D10 for GH in the last year of use weren't we? And the more you exceed the hit roll, the more damage you inflict? Will have to dig up the pdf on optional rules. For now carry on with DC Heroes rules so just allocate a Dice action (attack, usually) a move action (in LH case flying) and a non move/attack action (like talking) as usual.

OOC: Ugh just wrote a long response and managed to delete it.  Ok so going to have to summarize now:
1.  Didn't appreciate cyborg was the creature, on account of it being submerged but should have guessed with the squidborgs and all etc.
2.  DC rules have favoured Lionheart but not Frostbite.  The idea of rolling 2d10 not 1d20 makes it less swingy.
3.  Something you said in the other thread made me realise how important it is to fall forward.  That even a failure on the dice roll can be interpreted differently.  Not that there isn't any such thing as a miss, but that a miss can actually be a hit, but with unforeseen complications.  
4. Its important especially in an online game where weeks can go between posts, that the actions keep moving forward.  Failure to hit, seldom does anything but create frustration and stagnates the action holding it frozen in place until the next round.  To some degree we've already been offsetting the limitations of a bad roll with HP, either improving consequences (damage) or chances to hit (accuracy) as well as on occasion getting the odd double.  However if we assume that failure is limited or that failure is still falling forward.  You hit, but.... that makes the game more interesting.  Sure we don't want bad guys to go down like cardboard cut outs with glass jaws, we want a GM's villain to be more than a one hit wonder, but a straight hit/miss equation can fail to bring this across.  I wonder therefore if we roll the dice but can allow for ways in which mechanically we fail forward.  We never fail without some opportunity, uncertainty or aspect that opens up actions rather than shuts them down.
5.  I remember playing 4th Ed around a table with its complex and prolonged combat, fine if you got to hit on your round, but if you missed there was little to do and even less reason to stay engaged for the 20 mins it took to get around everyone else's actions until it got back to you.  So much better, to fail forward.  To suggest that you could simply miss, or hit, but...and list a selection of consequences that move things forward in a more interesting way than a simply dice roll might otherwise suggest.

Lionheart shrugged, he hadn't expected Stonelord to go down so 'easily' but then he'd somehow got a break.  It was one sorely needed and it now afforded him the chance to attack the monster itself.  Now he could see what he was up against, he felt little compulsion to preserve the life of the thing when its sole existence was about destruction and assimilation.  Though it was moving fast, Lionheart could move faster still, so setting off, at speed, he decided to move beyond its wake so that he wasn't blindsided by the muck being thrown back and then circle around to come at it from the side, looking for a way to attack its propulsion so as to half its forward movement.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 04 2015, 18:33

OOC I’m having to post from an old laptop that belonged to my mum a few years ago thanks to my desktop being hijacked by one of the kids. It’s like wading through glue, this thing is so slow Sad With that in mind I am ‘pre-posting’ replies in Word and will post them up when I get chance to get near my own computer. Frustrating is a word I would use, perhaps best to leave it there!

Lionheart flew up and around the beast/bot easily catching it despite the leviathans speed. He saw his opportunity when a tiny (relatively speaking) hatch opened for the Squidborg to return to their creator/master…

From above, despite the foul weather and wind blowing, and the fact that the leviathan was still submerged, he could see its whole shape take form. Hundreds of metres long, the main body was shaped like a torpedo, with trailing limbs like a squid trailing behind it. Each of those was even longer than the body, and dozens of metres wide, thick cables rippling behind the thing to provide propulsion with big paddles on the end, like a squid.

It was heading towards the mainland of Scotland, there to presumably rise from the waves and stride about on its limbs, towering over the tallest building and raining death down from above!

Nightbird called out on the comm. Link “I’ve secured Valiant and Stonelord. They are captive within my darkness field! Unfortunately Captain Valiant is VERY strong. It’s taking all I have to keep him restrained, and if Stonelord wakes up…”

“….skrrrzzz… uanaut to any remaining heroes! If you can hear me, I think I’ve discovered a weakness in this thing! It’s a mix of organic matter and machine! It must remain in the sea to keep what passes for a heart – a reactor of some kind – cool! If you can agitate it… work it up… to get the reactor working harder, I may be able to block the flow of water and cause it to heat up… overheat… it will be tricky though as while it’s in the sea it gets all the cooling it needs!” said Aquanaut, his communication breaking up and crackling but just about getting through to the heroes flying above the waves. “My control of water will allow me to slow the flow of coolant to the reactor, it goes into meltdown… then… I’m not sure.”

Lionheart was left with a dilemma. Let the thing come out of the water to allow Aquanaut to try the plan, OR perhaps use his astonishing speed to fly in through the aperture that was admitting the Squidborg? In water this thing had a clear advantage. Indeed, it looked very much like the huge dents Lionheart had left in its hide were already starting to heal!

OOC you raise interesting points about the failure/falling forward. Is that a Fate mechanic ?

You could have a hit, near miss, miss or critical hit. The hit is straight up, hit, as is the miss. The critical hit might give you a bonus to that strike or perhaps put you in a good position for your next strike. The near miss might be converted to a hit by taking a penalty on your next attack, or convert to a miss and give a bonus to your next attack. Just a thought.

I have toyed about with action points in the rare moments of peace over Christmas. You have a Bunch of ‘Acting Values’ – numbers defining how good you are with stats (Strength, Agility, Endurance, Intelligence, Perception, Will) and Powers (Flight, Energy Blast etc). Then every round you roll a number of dice to determine how many energy points you can spend. For an action multiply the Acting Value of the Ability or Power by Action Points you want to spend to get a total. Compare to a target number and exceed to succeed.

Example: Jade Hood (Strength 3 Agility 4, Action points 2D6) attacks a minion of Fu Man Chan, Oriental Villain. He uses Agility to attack, rolls 11 Action Points on his 2D6, and spends 4 on Agility to get a total of Agility 4 x4 =16. The goon he’s attacking only had a total of 8, so he exceeds that by 8 points and hits easily. He spends 3 points on Strength, which gives Strength 3 x3 (from action points) = 9, then adds +5 from his Martial Arts skill (total up to 14) and +2 (+1 for every 3 full points his attack roll succeeds by) for a total of 16. Compare this against the Goons Resistance (Endurance x Action Points) total of 6 (Endurance 3 x2 APs) and Jade Hood inflicts 10 points of damage (16 damage – 6 resistance). As the goon only had 8 Health remaining he goes down!

Doing things this way gives you complete control over what the character is going to do. Do you pile everything into Attack? Defence? Damage? Resistance? Need to go first? Spend some on Initiative. What about your powers? Skills add to your action total in the right circumstances. E.g. Jade Hood tries to pick a lock (Agility use). Agility 4 x Action Points (4 in this case) =16 plus lockpicking skill (+4 for Jade Hood, he’s a pretty handy thief). Total of 20. The GM determined difficulty by rolling 4D6 got a total of … 17! Click! The lock opens.

Later Jade Hood (intelligence 3 - the average human has 2 across the board) tried to figure out the meaning of a cryptic message on a piece of paper, left by and for Nazi spies. Dave figures he needs to really ‘push’ Jade Hoods Intelligence so spends 3 Action Points on the action (up to his Acting Value of Intelligence 3) then to push beyond that (to buy more multipliers) costs 2 Action Points per extra multiplier. Dave rolls 2D6… 10! He spends 3 to buy the first three multipliers (Intelligence 3 x3=9) then buys a further 3 multipliers by spending 2 per multiplier (costs 6 points extra, so he’s spent 9 out of his 10 Action Points that round). His Intelligence is multiplied by 6 (3 action points for the first 3 multipliers then 6 for the next 3) Will his total of 18 be enough? The GM rolls 4D6 for the difficulty number…

You can borrow an Action die from the next round which allows you to roll your standard number of dice (2D6 for Jade Hood) and an extra D6 for the borrowed die, then pick which two dice to use and discard the other. Of course next round he only has 1D6 to roll for APs…

So there is random element (rolling dice for Action Points, possibly 6s exploding to give extra APs) and strategic element (deciding where to spend Action Points plus whether to borrow). I think I mentioned this some time ago, but real life got in the way of anything concrete. Plus I wanted to try the system out in a one off game first that could easily be discarded after, maybe even a fantasy type D&D style game.

Anyway, it’s just a thought, open to suggestions/criticism/ridicule (delete as appropriate).

Argh. Sorry for the war and peace post. That’s what happens when I get started on a subject…

On another note pre posting in Word makes the layout weird...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sun Jan 04 2015, 21:36

Admin wrote:Lionheart was left with a dilemma. Let the thing come out of the water to allow Aquanaut to try the plan, OR perhaps use his astonishing speed to fly in through the aperture that was admitting the Squidborg? In water this thing had a clear advantage. Indeed, it looked very much like the huge dents Lionheart had left in its hide were already starting to heal!

"Aquanaut" Lionheart replied, "I am not sure if that is a good idea, if this thing goes nuclear we run the risk of irradiating a large chunk of the country we're duty bound to protect.  Let me see if I can give you a hand from within, before we left with no other choice first."

And with that Lionheart dove ahead of the creatures, into the caverty unsure if this was the best idea of if the he'd just jumped from the frying pan into a red hot proverbial fire.

OOC: Ok so go in full force field and see what we can detect, ascertain from my heightened senses within the beast.  Shame I don't have Frostbot to aid me in this mission.

Admin wrote:OOC you raise interesting points about the failure/falling forward. Is that a Fate mechanic ?

Don't know, it was something I picked up on following the fall out from D&D 4e where it was often difficult to play challenges because they were very strict fail or succeed mechanics.  The whole falling forward thing has come out of the indie scene, so its not something I'm totally familiar with but your dice mechanic is a possible solution.  

I like the fact that there is a degree of randomness, that not everything is decided by the GM or player, and things aren't so codified that there isn't room for something innovative and strange or unforeseen.  Its just that often rules don't allow for this, and in a PBEM game if you fail to hit, it can be frustrating with no further action just reaction possible.  I don't mind failure, and in the past this has lead to interesting dilemmas, I guess where I think its been most difficult is where we fail to spot the clues, or take a line or action not anticipated and don't come off with the optimum result.  Having said that, with hindsight I am less worried about that than when I first played, because you are the master (I kid you not) and coming back with something equally challenging or good.  I think there was only one time where I felt things were going a certain way no matter what I did...other than that I've never felt straight jacketed, but the idea of an element of strategy is welcome, anything that helps us feel that even a failure could have a positive outcome in a narrative and game sense.  Something that empowers a player to try something new, or to keep trying and not give up even when facing something that makes you think, "how am I going to deal with this..."  From you perspective Paul you might feel we throw you a curve ball more than once, but from ours, or at least mine, I am constantly scratching my head trying to think, "What on earth am I supposed to do here."  The only reason there is often a delay (short of real life issues) in my replying is often because I need 12/24 hours to think of how I am going to reply.  When I've got nothing then I usually say, I don't know what to do...but you're good enough to not penalise me for that, which I appreciate.  

Anyway rambling reply over, I'm open to trying new things, the dice pool thing sounds like it could be fun.  

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 08 2015, 22:40

Lionheart sped for the aperture, noting that it started to close even as he approached it, and the Squidborg turned to present themselves as a barrier!

OOC They attack with energy beams from the tentacle ends. The beams lance through the water and refract somewhat, making their accuracy a little hit and miss. Coupled with the fact (I assume) Lionheart has switched his energy to Superspeed (as it allows him to swim faster too) there's little chance of hitting. Half a dozen shots come close...

Roll(2d10)+0: 1,3,+0 Total:4
Rolling 2d10 ( 6 + 6 ) = 12 DOUBLE plus Rolling 2d10 ( 8 + 4 ) = 12 (24 total) HITS but does not penetrate forcefield
Rolling 2d10 ( 9 + 3 ) = 12
Rolling 2d10 ( 1 + 8 ) = 9
Rolling 2d10 ( 3 + 2 ) = 5
Rolling 2d10 ( 1 + 6 ) = 7

All others miss

Rolling 2d10 ( 10 + 3 ) = 13 Lionheart easily ducks inside the aperture before it slams shut

His energy power Rolling 2d10 ( 2 + 7 ) = 9 Does NOT affect him this time round. No nosebleeds/headaches Smile

The hero was as a gnat inside the beast. It was alien, albeit with tunnels that ran through the creature/machines innards and had thick cables - veins presumably - pulsing as they ran along the walls. Where he had entered, there was no trace. Instantly his Danger Sense (Rolling 2d10 ( 6 + 3 ) = 9) warned him of impending danger, but gave no other details of where to expect it from. His options were limited.

The tunnel ran from (his perspective at any rate) North-South but he was Lionheart - with his powers he had other options if he fancied making his own progress.

"...skrrrzzz crackle... nheart? Somethings happening. I can't be sure, but there may be the equivalent of antibodies racing to intercept a foreign body. Would that be you? I suggest you head for the nearest exit. Failing that, if you're dead set on stopping this thing, I think the reactor core - it's heart - is the place to head for. Find a way to shut this down and the beast is done, I reckon. I will do what I can to keep it distracted." said Aquanaut.

OOC On the energy pool front I will have something ready to try out next week - I have a few days off from Sunday. I like the idea of a near miss maybe having some effect. I think GH had something similar with dodging or some such. Would have to look it up. I will come up with character sheets for Jade Hood and Stone Fist and they can continue their adventures against the Nazis, Alien Invaders and (soon) Asian Villain in the style of Fu Manchu.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Jan 10 2015, 16:16

Admin wrote:...skrrrzzz crackle... nheart? Somethings happening. I can't be sure, but there may be the equivalent of antibodies racing to intercept a foreign body. Would that be you? I suggest you head for the nearest exit. Failing that, if you're dead set on stopping this thing, I think the reactor core - it's heart - is the place to head for. Find a way to shut this down and the beast is done, I reckon. I will do what I can to keep it distracted." said Aquanaut.

"Got it." Lionheart replied tearsly as he sought to identify from what was around, or could be deduced by sight and sound the way toward the main core.  He had to get their quick if he was going to stand some kind of a reasonable chance of stopping this thing before it mounted a defence he might struggle to break through.  

With speed and his defences on maximum, it left Lionheart the optimum chances of utilising his incredible senses the chance of assessing and evaluating where he was and what clues he could identify toward getting him where he needed to be.  

Admin wrote:OOC On the energy pool front I will have something ready to try out next week - I have a few days off from Sunday. I like the idea of a near miss maybe having some effect. I think GH had something similar with dodging or some such. Would have to look it up. I will come up with character sheets for Jade Hood and Stone Fist and they can continue their adventures against the Nazis, Alien Invaders and (soon) Asian Villain in the style of Fu Manchu.

OOC: Sounds great, look forward to it.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 14 2015, 21:06

Lionheart

Using his keen mind, incredible senses and super speed, Lionheart sped along the narrow corridor, wondering which way to head for what passed for a heart for this thing. One thing he did notice (OOC Perception check 2d10 → [2,9] = (11) success) was that the pulsing blue light that ran alongside him in one of the cables appeared to be slowing slightly. Someone moving at normal speed would not have noticed this, but Lionheart could tell... the 'pulse' was slowing the further it got away... from the heart!

He spun on his heel and sped off in the opposite direction, aware that he was heading back to where the 'antibodies' would be coming from. That way led to the reactor, or whatever foul thing this used to keep its vast form 'alive'. The blue pulses helped light his way as he came... to the end of the corridor. He considered turning around and heading off a side passage he'd passed but knew he would have to battle his way through legions of nasties. The cables/tubes/pipes, some thicker than a tree trunk, went into a hole in the wall and were packed tight. A glance at the wall suggested it was solid and not of this earth, like all of this thing, but he wondered if a million karate chops in the same place, or powering his strength to maximum levels, might do the trick.

Whatever he decided, he would have to do it fast! He didn't need his danger sense screaming at him (OOC 2d10 → [4,1] = (5) failed...) to tell him where the danger was coming from - he figured at any moment it come from any direction!

And he was right! Green gas started vented from the walls, floor, ceiling... and there! Squidborgs, or their bigger brothers at any rate, with reinforced metal cables for tentacles and sparking paddles on teh end, were coming towards him (OOC think... the Aliens from Edge of tomorrow, or something like. Great film, btw.)

He could fight through them... try to smash through the wall where the cables were, go up, go down, or rely on his amazing speed to avoid their blows. But there were half a dozen of these things... the main thing going for him was that only two at once could get near!

OOC They are around 50 yards away, having rounded a bend, and heading straight for LH. The Green Gas has an unknown effect, but it won't be there to make him feel happy. It hasn't touched him yet. Lionheart wins initiative. Over to you Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Jan 14 2015, 21:36

Admin wrote:Lionheart

OOC They are around 50 yards away, having rounded a bend, and heading straight for LH. The Green Gas has an unknown effect, but it won't be there to make him feel happy. It hasn't touched him yet. Lionheart wins initiative. Over to you Smile

Figuring that his best stroke was to fight the very thing that controlled what was going on, Lionheart directed his considerable assets toward breaking down the wall to where the tubes went.  If along the way he could cause disruption, harm and something else for the creature to think about, so much the better.  He also made sure that he kept a good lungful of what passed for air, but was thankful that he still had the rebreather apparatus, he had to hope he could shake off the effects of the gas, as this was not going to be pretty.  

OOC: Definitely go for exposing the wall into the heart and aiming for that, we've got to stop this otherwise I'll be wasting my efforts fighting off this things defences and not doing a jot to it, itself.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 14 2015, 22:27

LIONHEART

Spinning on his heels the speedster wasted no time attacking the wall that the pipes and tubes ran through, hoping it was just a wall and not a solid mass... otherwise he'd have nowhere to go with enemies snapping at his heels!

Picking his spot Lionheart applied all his power to his speed, then got stuck in with millions of Karate chops per second!

OOC Ok, first of all does he get a headache from his power.. 2d10 → [4,6] = (10) nope he's fine.
Next he attacks the wall. Not really rolling to hit, more using his Effect Value (22) against the RV of the wall. 2d10 → [10,10] = (20) BOOM! Double... 2d10 → [9,2] = (11)

Lionheart pulverised the wall... and the whole creature/vessel shuddered! Somewhere an unearthly roar and a groan rang out, echoing through the corridors... The wall had been thick, hard, made of some harder than steel resin rather than metal, but that hadn't mattered. Bullets and bombs it would have shrugged off, but Lionheart smashed his way through - all six feet thick of it - and sped off down another passageway in the gloom, following the pulsing blue lights as they appeared more frequently the closer he got to the core!

Knowing the 'antibodies' were still (far) behind him he figured he had a few seconds to get his bearings, but guessed (correctly) that the creature would sense his presence and be more urgent. He was right. The passageway opened into a walkway and from there into a vast open chamber. In the centre was a sphere about the size of a hot air balloon, pulsing, throbbing and convulsing much like a heart might. The thing was integrated with all manner of circuitry and wires, machines placed all about it and feeding it with tubes and pipes. Even a hundred or so yards away from it, where he stood on the walkway which had emerged halfway up the smooth resin walls of the bowl like chamber, the thing looked immense. There were dozens of Squidborg tending the great heart, flying about and welding here, there, at the machines that integrated with the huge grey/green/black pulsing organ.

And there were more 'antibody' Squidborgs, fierce, fast, and coming straight for him, soaring through the air and reaching with metal tentacles! Across the other, far side of the chamber at roughly the same level an aperture opened and the creatures spewed out. Lionheart counted ten before he turned and saw the others chasing up the corridor behind him. Still some way off, they were getting closer! From the front, or behind, these things would be on him in moments!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Jan 15 2015, 08:29

Admin wrote:LIONHEART

And there were more 'antibody' Squidborgs, fierce, fast, and coming straight for him, soaring through the air and reaching with metal tentacles! Across the other, far side of the chamber at roughly the same level an aperture opened and the creatures spewed out. Lionheart counted ten before he turned and saw the others chasing up the corridor behind him. Still some way off, they were getting closer! From the front, or behind, these things would be on him in moments!

"Well its been fun...but one day I'm going to bite off more than I can chew, looks like today might be that day." Lionheart quipped to himself as he readied himself for what was likely to be a last desperate act or the one thing that might just end this before anyone else died. He quickly shifted priorities, moving his forcefield, strength and speed to the fore, so that he could attempt what he had in mind. With no full understanding of if he was going to be successful and realising it had all the finesse of a wrecking ball, nonetheless he took one last look at all around him and then dove forward with a tremendous burst of energy. He shifted to his fastest speed, as space allowed, pushed his arms out infront of him and dove straight at the heart with all he had.

OOC: Ok seems like the most heroic thing to do, is just take a suicidal gamble and dive right at the heart to burst it open. I realise this is a big gamble but Super heroes don't do subtle and we certainly have proven that. Trying to fight everything off seems pointless so go for it, use all Hero points I'm allowed to maximise damage and if need be accuracy although I'd find it hard to imagine not hitting this - penetrating it maybe. Hence lets put the HP where its needed most.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Jan 19 2015, 21:55

OOC Best attack for LH is shifting Power Reserve to Superspeed and boosting Dex to 22 then whacking Hero points on Acting value (19 to bring to 41 column!) and 19 on effect (same, to 41 column with Martial Artist) then go for a devastating attack. For defence he can whack hp on Resistance Value and soak up damage with last ditch defence if required.

Lionheart sped towards the great pulsing mass, and the creature seemed to sense it!

From suddenly appearing apertures HUNDREDS of Squidborg poured, a veritable mass of teeming creatures, all eager to clasp, entwine and electrocute the intruder! All sense of trying to limit the damage inside the great machine/creatures body was abandoned as the threat became very real!

Lionheart sped on!

OOC And makes his attack.He actually uses his Martial Artist (22 now) as the Acting Value and Effect value against the Body of the heart. I took it that LH was throwing EVERYTHING into this attack hence the Devastating attack. That actually changes things so that he needs a 13 to hit... 2d10 → [9,8] = (17) No problemo! 7 Column shifts...

With a blur of motion the hero risked everything in a do or die action! Plunging at the huge heart, he pounded into it, feeling solid muscle and metal instead of the pulpy flesh that he expected. Indeed, it actively 'pushed back' at his attack even as he thrashed with thousands of deadly martial art attacks on the unliving thing!

After nearly a second - an age to a super speedster - he felt something give, then his hands disappeared into a blur of motion!

OOC Lionheart HP now 22

Gritting teeth against the wash of fetid flesh and unearthly metals that resisted him, Lionheart kept going. After what seemed like an age, putting more into the blows than he'd EVER done, he... burst through the other side!

Whirling, he saw a man sized hole through the heart... then it started to quiver... and collapsed in on itself! Instantly a rumbling started, and the whole gigantic structure started to shake!

The Squidborg stopped where they were, seeming confused and unsure. Some started to flee, others turned on each other... one, close to Lionheart, flew up and mouthed, in it's conical head "Thhhhnk Yerrrrr"

Lionhearts head was screaming DANGER!!!

This place was going to BLOW!

OOC Roll of 17, LH loses 3 Mind points for his efforts, putting Lionheart on Mind:3/9

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Jan 20 2015, 12:50

Admin wrote:Lionhearts head was screaming DANGER!!!

This place was going to BLOW!

OOC Roll of 17, LH loses 3 Mind points for his efforts, putting Lionheart on Mind:3/9

Fuzzy, disorientated with the effort and desperately trying to stop his brain from cooking under the alarming danger signal his brain was hopping with, Lionheart tried to get some clarity. Though he was concerned that the creature might yet have another failsafe of back up trick he had yet to see, he had to get free or else he'd be in no position to stop it anyway.

Seeing as the whole structure was about to collapse, he looked about for what might be the easiest path of least resistance. With his considerable powers focused on speed, he waited looking for the right opportunity, realising as he did timing was once again everything.

OOC: Ok so I am looking to break out and wondering whether rather than chop, chop my way out, not knowing what I might get myself into, it might be better if I look for an opening to occur as things fall apart and go from chamber to chamber as thing fall apart so that I can focus entirely on moving, dodging and seeking escape. Just as an aside, in GH danger sense as it was known then, had about it an ability to give some sort of hunch as to what to do. I wonder in DC heroes, does my danger sense do the same thing? Or is that some sort of higher or more specialised power? Just looking for anyway forward here.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 24 2015, 23:50

OOC Danger Sense in DC Heroes does either of two things - warns you of danger (score 1 or more Result APs - i.e. a successful roll) or warns you of the exact nature of the danger (direction, type etc). The mor epowerful the danger, the easier the power finds it to tell the character what he needs to know (the second part).. As this is a SERIOUS threat, the roll required doesn't have to be fantastic, but 11+ certainly helps.

2d10 → [6,10] = (16) 3 Column Shifts. That's enough.

Lionheart sped in the direction he thought best to get him out... and stopped.

A second later the 'wall' in front of him exploded outwards, showering him in fire, shrapnel and acid. By then he'd had enough warning to put up his forcefield and move to a distance safe enough that the blast barely washed over him.

He looked into the hole into another chamber of this great, vile beast/machine and saw a horde of Squidborg pouring at him! Too many to easily count! He turned, looking about. Everywhere was the same. This thing was self destructing, there was no way...

Suddenly a pipe, a huge 'vein' of sorts, swelled and burst, pouring vile yellow liquid out across the floor... which formed into the rough semblance of a human shape! "Wwwwwell?" spluttered Aquanaut. "You going to stand there while the nasties eat your brain and this place blows up?" He them formed into a gelatinous mess and 'leapt' into the fleshy pipe! It would be a tight squeeze but...

With Squidborg closing in, hordes of them, Lionheart moved to the the now open fleshy pipe and struggle din. It would be a squeeze, sure enough! Ignoring the claustrophobic feel as the pipe stretched slightly to accommodate him, Lionheart shimmied like a worm, albeit a fast one, through the pipe...

And seconds later spewed out, rather undignified, into a dark cloud in the water!

"Best not to ask what bodily function that was, just GO!" screamed Aquanaut who was not visible in the water, but surely here in some form!

Lionheart didn't need telling twice!

Blasting through the water he crashed up from the depths and out, and turned as the creature exploded under the waves...

THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM!!!!!!

The underwater blast was of megaton level, enough to destroy a small town and all in it, but its effects were largely nullifed as it was under the waves. Even the resulting shockwave mostly dispersed, though a great ball of light lit up the ocean for a mile in every direction!

"Wow." said Nightbird, soaring up. She still held the two captives (Captain Valiant and Stonelord) in his dark bubble, but they had ceased struggling. "You really do know how to make a mess!" Trails of ichor and bone rained from the sky in gobbets of foul smelling meat, intermingled with chunks of metal and pipework. Most had been incinerated in the blast but much had been blown upwards and outwards, albeit to fall in a harmless rain some distance from the shore.

As the wind surged, the angry waves crashed over the glow under the water and started to make it fade...

Forming into his human shape (though still made of water, and despite 'hovering' high above the waves he was still attached to the sea by a tiny tendril of water) Aquanaut turned to Lionheart. "Great job. I spent some time in that thing and I can tell you... it was old. Who knows how long it had been buried below the waves before those subs disturbed it? I also got the idea it wasn't an invasion force, rather it was... a scout. Whoever - or whatever - it was scouting for might know what happened to it as well."

Almost as one the three heroes looked to the skies, and the clearing starlit heavens. Something big, old and evil was out there. And it knew... it knew about the Earth, and the creatures who dwelled on the planet...

OOC Just need a wrap post from Lionheart then I will finish with a wrap and that's the short adventure done. It's part one (as an intro) into the next team adventure...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next