The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The NEW Vanguard! The HAUNT Issue #4

2 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The NEW Vanguard! The HAUNT Issue #4 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! The HAUNT Issue #4

Post  Admin Sun Jan 04 2015, 21:10

Taking n the shape but not the colour of the robots, The Haunt searched the area of the docks, trying to find some clue as to what was going on here...

Unhindered by robotic 'goons' with weapons that neutralized superhuman abilities, Haunt quickly flitted through the submarine and onto the docks to where a computer console was mounted onto a wall.

OOC Perception check

Roll(2d10)+0:
3,1,+0
Total:4 Ouch. That's not good. Haunt wastes time and finds nothing of interest in the sub. Aside from the usual controls there is little he can see that might give some clue as to who put this operation together, or indeed who manufactured the submarine.

Haunt can try to hack into the computer console and hopefully gain access to the mainframe of this place, where doubtless more can be learned. Unfortunately the guy you need in your corner (Frostbot/Frostbite) is elsewhere... your call. Attempting and failing will certainly alert whoever runs this place that something is afoot...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

The NEW Vanguard! The HAUNT Issue #4 - Page 3 Empty Re: The NEW Vanguard! The HAUNT Issue #4

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 07 2015, 19:52

Time to find out where the prisoners are kept, the Haunt muses to himself. Now how to get down those corridors without being spotted by robots or humans, if any humans are around.

Keeping his robot form, hoping any robots he runs across are color-blind, the Haunt moves quietly out of the dockyard and further into the base.

actions: sneaking as best as I can.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jan 08 2015, 23:22

OOC If I recall Haunt is pretty sneaky. At the weekend I will rescue my laptop hard drive and get the details that I need of the characters. I'm also moving more and more stuff to Google Drive (cloud storage) for future use. Of course, that requires a functioning internet connection. Between dying hard drives and dodgy internet there's no way of being 100% certain of keeping all your stuff :S

Haunt moved into the corridor of the base and noted that he almost had to stoop. It was more functional than presentable, and the metal was rusty in places.

In fact, Haunts' keen mind deduced, on closer inspection, that the metal for the construction of the vessel had come from a number of sources and was of more than one type. More incredible was the seamless welding of different metals, not something normally possible thanks to their different thermal capacities Haunt assumed. Where Aluminium met rusted iron which met green coated copper and patches of white lead, all were joined in a smooth way that suggested they'd not been welded at all, merely 'merged'.

He moved on.

Pausing at a crossroads he ducked his head around a corner and back again. A camera set on the ceiling! It was of the dome type and it was hard to tell if he'd been seen or not. He was about to find some doorway to duck into when he heard a SWISH and the clanking of metal feet coming his way!

The NEW Vanguard! The HAUNT Issue #4 - Page 3 Haunt_Map_1

OOC Let me know if that comes out ok. I use a forty odd inch tv as my monitor and I'm sat a foot from it so things tend to look fine. I know (from past experience) that laptops tend to view things differently...

The robots are approaching towards the crossroads. There are no doors near Haunt, but he's not so far from the dock area. The floor is smooth panelled metal as are the walls and floor. Whoever cooked this thing up might have raided a scrap yard but they could certainly teach big industry a thing or two on how to put stuff together! You have moments - seconds - before the robots are at the intersection...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 14 2015, 13:38

ooc: map was ok. Sorry for delay, Pathfinder Online just got more active and I lost track of the days. Embarassed

The Haunt quickly pressed himself against the wall, flattening himself and making himself look like the wall, albeit all white. His plan was to hope that they didn't see him, then turn into a duplicate of them and follow them.

DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 14 2015, 21:56

HAUNT

OOC No problem on delay - I've had my own problems. I tend to do my posting from my laptop but that went belly up (files and all, though I can get those with a screwdriver and a few minutes I reckon) then the old, rubbish, nigh on non functional laptop I have as spare started blue screening so no wonder my mum gave it to me after 'having had enough with it'. That means I post from my desktop - after the kids have gone to bed - and it's freezing in here. A former coal bunker in my Victorian era house, am sure there's a hole to the outside somewhere. Keeps the computer very cool Smile Unfortunately my right hand has gone numb and my legs are starting to go too now BRRRRR!

Haunt tried his best to go unnoticed...

OOC Do they spot him? 2d10 → [7,9] = (16)

The first robots - looking less like humans now he was up close, with clearly latex skin and emotionless features - walked past but the last one stopped. Then turned, slowly...

OOC Haunt wins initiative - bluff it out and hope it doesn't look to close at the white wall with cartoon eyes Smile or spring into action, which will get the attention of the rest!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Jan 20 2015, 20:32

Bluff it out

"This is not the wall you are looking for, you will move along," The Haunt thinks loudly inside his head to the robot. alien
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 24 2015, 23:58

Haunt tries to convince the murderous Robot that he is not the wall they are looking for...

It would take a long shot!

OOC 2d10 → [7,8] = (15) Well whaddyaknow.

The robot stared closely at the wall... And turned away! Haunt had done it! He breathed a sigh of relief... and the robot stopped!

Turning, it swung a punch at the wall!

OOC Meaning the 15 wasn't high enough! 2d10 → [5,6] = (11) Hit, but causes no damage.

Rolling with the blow Haunt knew the gig was up! He faced off against a robot in front of him and the others turning about!

OOC try to take all of them on, run, or come up with some other crazy plan? it's no consolation but an 18+ would have done it...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Jan 28 2015, 19:07

"Well Carp Doodle," the Haunt mutters as he summons his fog and prepares to bash robots.

actions: Summon fog and then punch robot
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jan 28 2015, 21:50

Billowing white fog spewed out in every direction from the Haunts form...

The robot seemed to try to adjust, its eyes turning red, then purple...

Haunt didn't bother waiting for it to work out where he was - he simply slammed a fist out from the fog and let his knuckles do the talking!

OOC 2d10 → [4,4] = (8) DOUBLE plus 2d10 → [5,1] = (6) 14 total. Hit, 2 columns.

Haunt felt a satisfying crumple as he realised he had recovered his full superhuman strength, and saw the robot fly backwards in the air towards the others!

Seeing one of their comrades injured, the others morphed their arms into guns... the kind that nullified powers! Haunt was in trouble!

OOC You can stick around in the fog or move, your call, then they shoot.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Thu Jan 29 2015, 18:58

Stay in Fog and flatten myself to the floor and hope they miss then attack.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 01 2015, 23:11

The robots fired with what they thought a 'sure shot' based on the position of their target...

OOC And hitting the floor flat is as good a tactic as any. So much so they need a better than decent roll to hit.

2d10 → [5,6] = (11)
2d10 → [2,8] = (10)
2d10 → [5,7] = (12)
2d10 → [4,8] = (12)

Not good enough (really needed a double)

With beams crisscrossing through the fog Haunt knew that he was on borrowed time - one hit from a beam would see his strength sapped, or his shapechanging, or even his superhuman endurance!

He was no quitter though, and lashed out with a white fist from the fog!

OOC 2d10 → [5,7] = (12) CLANG!

Landing a solid hit he knew he'd damaged a 'bot, but probably not taken it down. They were tough, and made to take down superhuman opponents. And there were more of them.

Suddenly a voice rang out "Surrender!" it said in a very English accent, probably Etonian.

He heard a CLANG! as doors slammed down somewhere in the tunnels.

"In moments deadly Chlyrodine gas, of my own devising, shall pump into the tunnels. You might survive that - a number of superhumans do. It wasn't designed to kill you freaks. It was designed to slow you down. Your much vaunted speed and reflexes will be dulled to glacial levels. Ordinary humans die. Nobody pays for ordinary humans. You've piqued my interest. I want you alive. Resist and I will content myself with an autopsy on your steaming corpse!" it cackled.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Feb 04 2015, 13:13

hmmmm ....

"Who are you," the Haunt asks. "You are not my normal prey. But you have me curious. Speak mortal!"

ations: gonna surrender after trying to get a bit of information out of him, if possible. Otherwise, wait for him to tell me his plan after I'm captured.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 05 2015, 00:46

"Take him!" cackled the voice over the loudspeaker!

The robots launched in, landing blow after blow with the energy beams and draining Haunts powers! Physical blows followed, and the ground raced up to meet him...

=========

It didn't take long for Haunt to recover...

His healing ability was perhaps most unsung, but probably his most useful ability! Already beneath his mask he could feel the bruises shrinking, and he knew his powers would return quickly.

Carefully glancing out the side of his eyeslits he saw his arms were spread, the hands and wrists covered in shiny chrome restraints, the same on his feet and ankles. Energy from each crackled from the ceiling and floor, leaving him suspended.

The room was huge, carved from some forgotten underground cavern. Banks of servers and computers ran down one wall, whilst what looked to be a home made robot fabrication facility/production line ran down another wall! Huge ten foot screens - three of them - hung from the ceiling, and on a raised dais a man in a wheelchair studied the news reports on one screen whilst another was split into dozens of smaller screens.

The third screen flickered into life, and a woman appeared on it. She looked petrified, and glanced constantly to her left as sounds of explosions and a battle rang out from somewhere. "Dr Exitium! I need help! The facility... the superhumans..."

The 'doctor' in question, a bald man in a hover chair with pipes and wires from it into his head, faced the screen, his back to Haunt.

"Foolish woman! What have you done? You paid me to capture and deliver superhumans, and I have done! You wanted the machines to adapt their powers and channel them into a form of limitless bio-kinetic energy... and I did this! I, Exitium! No one else has the intellect, the pure processing power to..."

"They've gotten loose! You must help me! How can I get them under control! And ... and..." spluttered the woman.

"HOW DARE YOU INTERRUPT EXITIUM!" he screeched. "And what else? What are you not telling me?"

The woman, petrified, added "We used them to create an interdimensional portal, a doorway to another place. The knowledge of such wonders we could find were... too much! We opened a door onto another plane and... and... it wouldn't close! The beings on the other side kept it open! Then they started coming through! Now Behemoth is loose, and the other superhumans have been released by someone, a man of ice! He at least seems to be trying to stop the creatures from the other dimension, but should he fail..."

"BAH! You have opened pandoras box and now you require the genius of Exitium to close it? Foolish woman. We made a bargain, I delivered on my end, and I am still waiting on payment for the last shipment, never mind the choice examples I have for you now! BEGONE!"

Before she could answer he cut the feed and turned to two robots without human skin who stood in a corner. "You two! Check on the captives. Exitium must ponder this development."

He turned to the TV screens to watch the news on a dozen feeds, chin in hand.

Ice Man? Might he mean Frostbite? What was going on?

Haunt tested his strength. It had recovered, but he knew these things might set off an alarm should he use his powers. He would have to be careful...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 09 2015, 22:09

using Detective/Acting skills to question Exitium - who is he, where are we, why is he doing this, who else has he captured, who is he selling folks too and anything else I can think of.

"So ... you are capturing heroes to sell to the highest bidder," the Haunt asks for his opening gambit. "Or do you capture super-powered villains too? Seems kind of a step down for such an obvious genius as yourself, salesman."

ooc: guess I should catch up on the other threads and see what's going on. Very Happy
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 12 2015, 00:25

The Madman/Genius turns in his hover chair...

"Awake? My scanners picked nothing up! Truly you... 'Freaks' are unique, no two alike! As for who I am, what I want? Well, why not? I have only my robotic minions to appreciate my brilliance, and you soon will be a captive elsewhere. I scan and extract DNA for my own nefarious...."

He pondered for a moment, scanned the readout confirming Haunt was secured, and seemed to relax a little. "Superhumans are an amazing resource. Did you know that there are no less than seven in the United Kingdom capable of producing enough power to mothball 30% of the countries power stations? Some have amazing regenerative abilities, others can read minds, the list is endless! As you see before you, this decrepit shell which houses my mind is dying. I, Exitium, I alone have the mind necessary in order that death can be cheated! I will be immortal! By analyzing and extracting DNA from the superhumans I capture, I inch ever closer to the key - being able to create a superhuman body without peer, one that can house my immeasurable mind!"

"Unfortunately such research comes at a huge cost, and committing petty crimes is beneath me. What need I of diamonds, gold or the like? The only thing I need is others to do my bidding, and the lure of money to others ensures they are enslaved to my genius. Fools! Once I am done with the sampling and scanning, you will be passed over to another organisation that will use you in their own crude way. The irony is, all of this is done indirectly for the Government! It is the taxpayer who pays for all this, through a string of dummy corporations and paper trails. They do so in the knowledge that superhumans are kept off the streets, where no harm can be done. The scars of a few years ago are still fresh, I suppose. They are right to fear you! Some of you possess incredible firepower. Unchecked, you represent the greatest thret to humanity since the birth of the atomic age!"

He cackled, then collapsed into a hacking cough, tended by a robot that held up a handkerchief that the man snatched and held to his mouth.

"I suspect the shadow corporation that is charged with incarceration is using kinetic energy from your superhuman cells to channel into bio electrical energy and power some machine. I care not. I warned them that opening gates to other worlds would net them more than the treasures and resources they crave. They seek riches untold. They will find horrors untold. All of which means nothing to me so long as my minions obtain the machinery I need, and soon I will achieve my goal. The ultimate mind in the ultimate body!!!"

He cackled, then turned to a panel and slid fingers up on it... suddenly Haunt screamed, every nerve ending on fire!

"The most durable superhumans thus far have survived level 4 on my machine, my spectral friend! One died at five, and that after a short time! How far do you think you'll go?" he laughed, cackling.

Haunt was in so much pain it was hard to concentrate and use his powers! He might have to talk and think his way out of this one!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Feb 16 2015, 13:18

talking is good. Talking means he isn't hitting me with tons of pain. Now what do I want to talk about? Shocked

"You call us freaks," the Haunt says once he gets his breath back, "but isn't that just what you are trying to do to yourself? Turn yourself into an eternal freak? Why become something you hate? Are you sure you want to ignore what is happening wherever those people who were talking to you come from? They might have unleashed something that could destroy the entire world, before you can become the last man on Earth! You might die because of their incompetence."

ooc:
Babbling questions and seeing what sticks so I can see what makes him tick and to get him to either leave or drop his guard so I can do something about getting away.
Stretching only helps to resist physical damage, not energy damage, right?
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Feb 22 2015, 23:15

OOC Correct on the stretching part. You can deform your body to stretch and cushion physical impact, but stuff that burns or blasts is beyond Stretchings ability to reduce...

"WHATTTTT!" screamed the man, turning in his chair. "FREAK? I? THE GREATEST MIND THAT EVER LIVED!?!?"

His eyes flickered, and he hovered his hand over the 'pain' button but held off. "What care I of the world? Medical science has no cure for me. The 'social services' of this country want to lock me in a home and levae me to rot. I have two choices. Die as the state decides, or live as I do. And I will live. And I will make the people of the world bow their knee to me!" He was about to continue but collapsed into a racking cough. Tended by his robots, he looked away from Haunt for a second.

The pain had already started to subside. Whatever damage it was doing to his skin was quickly healing thanks to his amazing ability to heal. Therein lay his way of escape he figured. Could he overpower this restraint machine and trust in his healing factor to keep him conscious? All the while, those robots would be coming at him. Maybe some kind of distraction? His arms and legs were restrained, so he was immobile, but ... how about stretching another part of his body?

OOC Is haunt Mr fantastic stretching (body, limbs) or Plastic man (everything)?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Feb 25 2015, 16:06

ooc: With stretching and shape change and Omni arm, he is Plastic Man everything plus super strength pirat

Is his wheelchair battery powered? Was wondering about stretching my nose or tongue [I'm not about to extend my "junk in the trunk"!] and disconnecting his power to his wheelchair. Or using the same appendage and pushing his wheelchair out of the room, assuming there is an open door or hallway to push him through, and then try to get free. Or both.

Or can the Haunt see a shackle release button to free himself? He could stretch to that too.

So depending on what he spots, it will decide which one of those actions he wants to do.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Feb 28 2015, 00:21

Haunt looked about.

Thankfully either his nose or tongue would serve the purpose he needed. As the villain was tended he saw three possible solutions.

A large red button on the console to the left of Exitiums current location, within only a couple of feet. Could that be a shut down... or some kind of 'launch' button?

On the back of the bad guys chair were a number of cables exiting out of one area and going into another.

Elsewhere a large thick yellow cable ran between servers. He couldn't tell where it came out or went in, but at a couple of inches thick it looked like some kind of insulated power wire... or it might be spare, going nowhere!

Haunt had to act fast - Exitium was recovering, and waving his robotic helper away!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 02 2015, 13:25

"Why can't people label buttons," the Haunt grumbled to himself. "Just how hard could it be and help reduce possibility of mistakes?"

The Haunt chooses door number three - thick yellow cable. Actually extend head from neck and grip cable with teeth and pull.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 03 2015, 01:18

Stretching his head and knowing he only had one shot at this, Haunt glanced to see that the Doctor had been administered his medicine and was turning his chair...

Haunt had scant seconds before he was seen!

Seeing the cable, he wondered at the wisdom of grabbing an electrical cable with his teeth then pulling, but figured he had run out of choices!

Stretch... bite... grab... pull!

SKRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

haunt let go as his teeth set on end, and... the place was plunged into darkness! Exitium started ranting immediately! "Find him! Get him! Restrain him! I must punish him! Quickly fools!"

Haunts head was back in place, and he saw red lights - the robots eyes - shining in the darkness. Tentatively, Haunt tried the restraints...

He was free! Slipping his hands out of the depowered restraints he knew he was at a disadvantage - it was pitch black, and his opponents could see, Haunt couldn't!

OOC And it might be the shortest lived escape ever unless Haunt can figure something out!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Tue Mar 03 2015, 21:44

Not exactly sure how the robots "saw" and how they could distinguish one person from another, the Haunt took a gamble. Freeing himself, he turned himself into a duplicate of Dr. Exitum - wheelchair and all and zoomed over to be next to where the doctor was screaming.

possible future actions: Take doctor as hostage and back out of the room with him, looking for a better opportunity to get away and save whoever might be in the complex. Or shove the doctor towards the robots, thinking that they might have some kind of prime directive to keep the doctor safe, while he escapes down a black hallway.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 08 2015, 15:13

The Robots started to look for the Haunt... and turned when the Doctor yelled out...

"What? Get him you fools!" he shouted, pointing at the white replica of himself! He frantically backed the chair up and pressed another button. Haunt saw an energy field form up around the Doctor and his chair, but it flickered. "Restore the power, idiots! He called.

Haunt looked at the panels and saw them flickering into life, rebooting as a backup power source began to restore it. In moments the lights would be back on! He looked about, and saw the floor was a metal grid, water sloshing twenty feet underneath. They were clearly in a natural cavern under London or a sewer cave! He could slip through the grate into the water below, or rely on taking the Doctor hostage. That niggled, and he realised why. The robots would have no qualms about blasting the pair of them with power reduction rays! He'd be overwhelmed in moments! As the robots advanced on the pair of Exitiums, Haunt had choices...

Go through the grate to the water below
Take Exitium hostage (he'd have to overcome his chairs force field first)
Look for an air duct to escape into
Take on the robots (not the greatest of ideas - every successful hit saps his power!)
Smash the consoles on the raised platform to (hopefully) disrupt Exitiums plan, regardless of whether he recaptures Haunt or not
Or... Something else?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Mon Mar 09 2015, 18:26

Hit the water and see where I can come out at. Still want to find any other supers who are being held here. Disrupting power when and where I can.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Mar 15 2015, 00:17

Haunt flowed into the water like a white eel, powering down into the depths...

He pretty much ignored the electrical charge that pulsed through it - the robots weren't messing about - but it would need more than a couple of thousand volts to slow him down!

He figured they'd expect him to head for the exit... so he turned the other way, and swam as quickly as he could under the grid/walkway that separated the base form the water below. Every now and again he'd take a breath, peek an eye about through the grid and investigate where he was. Only a matter of time before he found where the captives were being stored...

...and so it was he came to a locked, sealed vault type door. The small window set into it wasn't made of glass, but something far tougher. A glance inside revealed a mist filled room with a dozen capsules, half of which were occupied by humans, and one person... thing.. that looked like an orange lizard. This was it! The supers were being kept on ice seemingly, and each pod was hooked up to a bank of machines. Haunt wondered if the mad genius and his robot army were somehow using superhuman energy to power this place. It wouldn't surprise him. Anyone who could not only create artificial life, but have it construct an undiscovered base under London and equip them with weapons that counteracted superhuman abilities was clearly a magnitude of genius far beyond Einstein. A pity then that he chose to use it for his own ends rather than the betterment of mankind!

How now to get into this sealed vault without setting off alarms, then getting either those capsules out, or rousing the occupants enough to help him help them escape, all whilst fighting off the crazy robots with depowering rays? At the moment he had the advantage. They would be thinking he'd left and searching accordingly. As soon as he messed with this door, that would change...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next