Chat about the game...

Page 27 of 27 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 25, 26, 27

Go down

Re: Chat about the game...

Post  Admin on Thu Oct 18 2018, 11:56

I've given up predicting my schedule. Had a week away on (much needed) holiday last week. meant to let you guys know but my schedule the week before (as this week) was horrendous with 6x12hr days at work and this week 7x12hr. When i get home from work tonight (just about to go, should be back about 2330) I'll update and get things moving. it will make a pleasant change from the morning I've had, 3 hours at the ironing board and another pile just as big to finish!

cheers, Paul

Admin

View user profile http://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 20 2018, 07:24

Ok guys, we've been forward and backward in time, space and reality. Nazis, Aliens, Undead, rogue superhumans, civil war between heroes, Lex Luthor style behind the scenes players etc.

I deliberately try to leave a lot of these storylines open. Chucking the bad guy in jail never sticks in the comics for long anyway, and neither does injury or death for that matter! That means we can play for years (as we have) and all of a sudden some bad guy I dredge up from the past comes out with a new plan to finally defeat those pesky heroes and crush the universe beneath their heel/rob enough money to buy a sports car/be declared the baddest bad guy in the tri state area etc.

With that in mind I plan the following:

1) Aliens take over the Earth

2) Time advances - this might move the characters on years in game time

3) The challenge level will be extreme. Your guys will be missing a few teeth and have a few scars after every battle!

4) A definitive end (if the good guys win) to the Shadow Demons saga which kicked off this whole campaign. Maybe Smile

5) Possibly cooking up a kind of 'mini game' where as a side issue youo as players are managing a resistance faction, complete with R&D, missions, training characters and having specific objectives.

yes, I've been playing XCOM 2 and wondered about throwing superheroes into the mix. If you don't know anything about the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRDb_O6qXA

If you don't want this sort of campaign (or if just one of you does) that's no problem - I have a number of other ideas (LH will be going into space for instance, as befits his power level) and haunt will continue to battle justice in his own spooky style. Frostbite I'd planned to develop and expand the team, and be heavily involved (including taking control of those minor characters instead of Frosty) on missions. Or we can combine the two and see what happens.

Thoughts?

Cheers, Paul

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon on Tue Nov 20 2018, 14:41

Not a big fan of aliens taking over the whole world scenarios. Let's face it, once they take over the whole world, there is no more infrastructure to fight back and kick them off planet. That's the problem with a lot of giant robot anime where only Japan is left standing to fight them off. It's just too unreasonable even in a superhero world.

Now a partial takeover of part of the world, mainly third world countries, is doable and harks back to the days of WW2 where Germany had control of most of Europe and Japan had most of the Pacific, and the Allies were fighting around the edges until they built up enough resources to launch D-Day and the invasion of Japan. I could see the aliens invading and taking over Africa and South & Central America and maybe parts of the Middle East as these areas don't have the technology base nor the military to fight back very well.

But a "problem" with this scenario is that once we take back the Earth after 4-10 years of fighting, we still haven't won and have to continue fighting by going to the aliens' planet and invading them since they will still be sending men and material to hold what they have on Earth and trying to take over more of it. Which means Earth is going to have to become a powerful interstellar planet. Huge space fleet battles will result. So this moves us into a Star Trek/Star Wars kind of game where superheroes become kind of backwater characters.

Also wouldn't most powered superheroes join the military to be a part of a special strike force instead of going solo? Anyone remember Strikeforce Morituri? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikeforce:_Morituri

And how many heroes are left anyways? Seems like the vast majority of English heroes died or were critically injured in the fight the Haunt took part in and may have been forced to retire.

And what do you mean "Extreme"? It hasn't been extreme enough?! Exclamation Laughing

Now I have no problem jumping us six months to a year or so ahead of where we are currently. It allows us to have London rebuilt during that time and gives a rationale as to why we became even stronger.

Would be nice to team up with Frostbite again. Yeah I know the problem of everyone having different schedules and that it could slow the game down but still interacting with another player is fun too and I think worth the time and energy. Doesn't have to be a big adventure but something fun to do. Just off the top of my head, maybe we could run into each other while helping find survivors or with reconstruction and something happens so we team up.

Or maybe we are out during the night patrolling, and jointly run into a team of medium powered supervillains and their henchmen, who are ignoring the curfew/martial law that the government put up after the Fall of London to control looting and rioting, doing a dastardly thing.
If I was a supervillian, that would be a perfect time to hit the gold reserves or the diamond exchange. Probably the diamond exchange. Lighter and easier to carry away and probably has less guards than a large bank or nation's gold reserves.

Just some ideas for now.
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 20 2018, 15:46

Points taken. A 'partial' takeover then. Where the Aliens' spokesperson persuades some, but not all of the countries to come over to their side. That would make more sense than fighting and flattening the planet to rubble in the process. In a way that's a better strategy, especially where the third world countries part comes in. They get their infrastructure raised to future tech levels, a higher standard of living than the rest of the world and all those decades/centuries of being looked down upon, so to speak, by the affluent west/east and far east nations make them reluctant to turn against their new overlords. A kind of 'you keep your independence. We're more than happy having food when we want it, limitless energy and future technology to draw upon whilst you choke the world with fossil fuels and fall out over trading policies...' LIttle do they... ahh, that'd be telling Smile

Don't worry about the star fleet battles/star trek game coming to pass. Frostbite has been the nearest we'll ever get to that kind of game in his adventure in the microverse (which was kind of dipping toe into future adventures and explaining why the huge base of bad guys was there when Lionheart (I think it was LH, rather than Frosty?) came across it, then it was 'gone' - it shrunk back down, and they'd found out what they needed to form the basis of an invasion, especially with Timmy Jones' help.

There's some aftermath/set up to do before the time jump anyway. We'll get to that.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon on Wed Nov 21 2018, 13:11

Of course the reason third world countries are third world countries has a lot to do with the fact that they are strictly involved in factionalism [religious, racial and secular] and tribalism and have little experience with and concept of freedom, democracy and free enterprise. Lots of countries in Africa, for example, when one tribe gets in power in a nation, they use that power to oppress and wipe out long time rival tribes, instead of joining together as a nation which is why there is always fighting there and no forward progress. The middle east is the same, not just Muslin versus Jews but Muslim sect versus Muslim sect.

So easy to takeover, not so easy to have them remain passive as they would start up guerrilla fighting, not just aliens but each other too. Middle East? Those guys wouldn't see them as aliens but demon made manifest on Earth to punish the wicked [ie those not of their particular Muslim sect] and a trial for the righteous and would need to be driven out by any means necessary. Africa and South America? Probably groups would line up behind the aliens in order to take down long time rivals and wouldn't mind being a puppet government if they still got all their perks. Quislings basically. The other groups not in power would head into the mountains and jungles and fight from there or lay low and try to survive.

So I would see the aliens taking out the current people in power and finding Quislings to do their bidding. But that begs the question: Just how much do the aliens know about Earth and its various cultures and beliefs? Based on what the Haunt went through, they know enough to find and infiltrate a large scientific criminal organization and help with its research.

Was what happened part of a test run invasion and they didn't expect it to turn out the way it did? Resistance - powers and tech - was greater than they figured? Is this why they then looked at the Third World for the actual invasion?

With two of our three characters with detective skills, these kinds of questions might be something we could sink our teeth into as we go along. Finding these answer might also let us find out how to better fight the aliens.

Just ideas going through my head.
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Nov 21 2018, 17:42

Darn, you're trying to suss out all of my backstory/plotting! best get on with posting and see how Haunt gets on with it...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 27 2018, 09:04

Both of your new issues are up Very Happy

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon on Thu Nov 29 2018, 13:20

Thanks for the update.