The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat about the game...

+3
DavidMcMahon
dunecat
Admin
7 posters

Page 18 of 39 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28 ... 39  Next

Go down

Chat about the game... - Page 18 Empty Re: Chat about the game...

Post  DavidMcMahon Fri Aug 14 2015, 15:28

Sheesh, been busy myself which explains lack of posting lately. Rl is Fun! Remember that!
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 14 2015, 18:08

No worries David, will be a little bit spotty with my posting till Monday then I am back at work and the kids (hopefully) will natter me less and I get more time. I've paid my penance today (removed the sealant around the bath/shower) so will be getting chance to update later. Doing the sealant thing is high up there with having bamboo shoved under fingernails and working under the car when its raining and stuff is dripping in your face, it's that much fun Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 18 2015, 21:04

Update if I get chance later tonight if not then tomorrow for sure. Been a garbage day, mostly spent trying to catch a couple of hours sleep in the morning and again in the afternoon, what with kids making noise and wise painting in the room am sleeping in Sad Now just about to go to work, so if I get sat somewhere then *hopefully* my internet will play ball and can update. If not it will be in the morning when I get home. Oh, and it's my birthday, not much happy about it but it rained all day so I don't feel I missed anything by taking the day off either Smile

Still smiling, albeit with a few more wrinkles round the eyes than in previous years Smile

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Aug 21 2015, 22:06

Update tomorrow (Saturday). This week has pretty much been a write off, with work at night, bits of sleep here and there during the day and kids nattering the rest of the time. Not long (2 weeks) till relative peace - they go back to school. Till, then... well, the grind continues :S
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 01 2015, 09:35

Updates tonight. Had planned (finally!) to get back to normal with one of the kids going back to school today (other one goes back next week) but he's chucked up all over the bathroom, so so much for that. Grrrrr. The interminable up at 5am with the kids garbage continues Sad Hope you are both well, thanks for keeping the faith Smile Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 01 2015, 09:47

Admin wrote:Updates tonight. Had planned (finally!) to get back to normal with one of the kids going back to school today (other one goes back next week) but he's chucked up all over the bathroom, so so much for that. Grrrrr. The interminable up at 5am with the kids garbage continues Sad Hope you are both well, thanks for keeping the faith Smile Cheers, Paul

Absolutely, no worries mate, give me a chance to get other things done like you ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 11 2015, 10:06

Update today. Been without anything (TV, Broadband, though curiously the land line still worked which is weird seeing as it all comes down the same fibre optic line) for what seems like forever (amazing how little to do the kids have when no tv or internet - they come nattering dad...) and the engineer is right outside the house even as I type *hopefully* having fixed the problem. TV still down (garbled or no picture/sound) but internet seems to be ok, which will keep the nippers happy, off my back and therefore able to do what I want to do. Just got to get chores done first, including clearing the garage out. Frighting how much junk you accumulate over 44 years .... Shocked
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Sep 11 2015, 15:01

Admin wrote:Update today. Been without anything (TV, Broadband, though curiously the land line still worked which is weird seeing as it all comes down the same fibre optic line) for what seems like forever (amazing how little to do the kids have when no tv or internet - they come nattering dad...) and the engineer is right outside the house even as I type *hopefully* having fixed the problem. TV still down (garbled or no picture/sound) but internet seems to be ok, which will keep the nippers happy, off my back and therefore able to do what I want to do. Just got to get chores done first, including clearing the garage out. Frighting how much junk you accumulate over 44 years .... Shocked

I usually moving is the best way to force oneself to get rid of clutter. Hope it goes well.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 14 2015, 14:17

Will try to update today. Unfortunately we had to have the dog put down on Saturday which has left me feeling a bit lost during the day when I would walk her and she would sit on my lap as I watched TV etc. She was only 6, riddled with cancer. Anyway,we knew it was coming but gave her as long as we could before the wife decided to take her - I freely admit it's not a decision I could have made even though I knew the dog was on her last legs as she took a serious turn for the worse on Friday night. These things are sent to try us.

Anyway should be back up to speed by today or tomorrow at latest.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Oct 14 2015, 15:07

Aw Paul I completely understand. Our last dog had to be put down and it was a very sad affair. I can see how loosing the dog would cause a big hole and a real sense of loss, not just in your routine but in your lives. Take whatever time you need. I'm happy to be patient.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidMcMahon Wed Oct 14 2015, 15:41

Damn! That is hard. Dogs give nothing but love to their masters. Always hard in these kinds of situations because you feel like you let them down even when you know it is best for them and ends their pain. Take care man! Get your head and heart on straight before worrying about the game.
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Oct 19 2015, 16:45

Thanks guys, had a rough week on top of the dog going with a week of nights that saw me on Friday-Saturday missing sleep (head buzzing, couldn't get to sleep) and going just short of 40 hours without sleep before I could catch a few winks. Then at work all day yesterday but getting my head together now (had a few more hours sleep today) so will be updating tonight and hopefully regularly this week. Thanks for hanging in there Smile Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Oct 19 2015, 18:29

Admin wrote:Thanks guys, had a rough week on top of the dog going with a week of nights that saw me on Friday-Saturday missing sleep (head buzzing, couldn't get to sleep) and going just short of 40 hours without sleep before I could catch a few winks. Then at work all day yesterday but getting my head together now (had a few more hours sleep today) so will be updating tonight and hopefully regularly this week. Thanks for hanging in there Smile Cheers, Paul

Ugh mate, how you do it. Anyway, no worries, some things are worth waiting for. Stay classy ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Oct 28 2015, 18:43

Doh didn't get an email about post update sent but will try to update tonight, if not tomorrow for sure.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Oct 28 2015, 22:57

Admin wrote:Doh didn't get an email about post update sent but will try to update tonight, if not tomorrow for sure.

Had to happen at some point, I now know it's not just me ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 04 2015, 17:33

Playing catch up this week. Will update tomorrow (done an interim update for Lionheart but run out of time... ) when I get home from work. Right now need to hit the sack to be up at 1am Sad
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Sun Nov 08 2015, 07:51

Ahah! I found the password for this thing again!

Hey guys, sorry it's been so long. I've been through a lot since I was active last. Moved, couple family members passed on.. I generally stopped with the whole roleplaying thing all together for a while. Recently I've been wanting to get back in the saddle though, if you'll still have me?

dunecat
Class 2 Hero (Low level superhuman)

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 10 2015, 22:32

Hiya! I do recall that there was an application for membership sometime in the last week or so but it's been buried in my email client and as Dave/David will no doubt have realised, my best laid plans of getting more posting done over the weekend were scuppered (more night shifts. yay.)

No problem with jumping in again. I fully understand the rigours of real life having been through a wringer in the last month or so myself.

With regards character you want to jump in with your old guy or cook up someone new? Have a think. For the most part adventures are currently in the 'solo' phase, after which the scattered Vanguard will (finally) reunite for a group game to face a mega threat. Or two. At the moment the current danger comes from below (microscopic invaders in Lionhearts adventures) beyond (locust type space invaders in Frostbites threads) and 'somewhere else' as Haunt finds himself battling against otherworld demons in search of the means to resurrect the bane of King Arthur - Mordred.

Dave/David will be updating in the morning. Probably at some stupid hour, but am hoping to get done earlier than I did today and my father in law hasn't lined me up for any more favours for his friends (computer fixing...) like today. Just what you need after a night shift, trying to figure out what went wrong with a Windows 10 install so someone can use their computer again. I managed it, but had to dredge up a bit of old school guesswork to get the thing booting again. Oh well, at least I know what Windows 10 looks like now...

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Wed Nov 11 2015, 02:19

I was thinking of digging up a conversion of Silas from our old DC/Marvel game actually. I like Alex/Stormbreaker mind, he's just a really complicated character to work with and we lost his sheet so he needed a rebuild..

You know, the deciding point for this would be one question; has there been any time that could have been used to do Artifact creation?

If no then I'll definitely go with Silas or something else. If yes then I'll have to contemplate it Smile

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 11 2015, 23:51

Dunecat: In terms of time I expect only a few weeks have passed since you were away, so probably not the months (and years?) of crafting time required to knock out a Mjolnir or Excalibur. You'll have to remind me about Silas, my memory is hazy after a few weeks.

=========

All:

Something I have been toying with for a while is a change to the way Hero Points are used. If I had time to post every day (as I used to, pre 2nd born child, as Dave/David might remember) the mechanic of spending extra points by both sides (hero/villain) would be better utilised. As it is right now, it's a one way street and rely on the rolls (otherwise combat would drag on for weeks and nothing would get done).

So instead I propose this mechanic.

When you use hero points, you can do them in one of two ways:

1) Buy an extra D10 to roll. You roll 2D10 (as usual), make sure you don't get double 1 (instant failure) then roll any extra D10s. Pick the best two D10 to use. I propose a fee of 6 hero points for the first D10, 13 for the second, 21 for the third and 30 for the fourth (and if you want more D10s, the pattern goes +10, +11, +12). Example. You want to roll extra D10s. you want three extra D10, spend 21 hero points.

2) Last ditch defence - this mechanic causes something of a headache with the way things are run as it makes the experienced hero nigh on unbeatable. I think a change is required to give the bad guys a fighting chance against experienced (HP heavy) heroes. Take a look at this:

Chat about the game... - Page 18 Last_ditch_defence

Example: if Haunt is fighting against his Shadow Demon buddies and one of them lands 6 points of Body damage on him, a check on the first (left hand column) shows the number of Body damage Haunt wants to absorb, and the column across shows the TOTAL cost in Hero Points to do it.

Recovery/Last Ditch recovery checks will also be cost changed to prevent the possible springing up from KO'd that can easily occur. It's been so long since one of the characters took an actual battering I can't remember using this since we've been using the DC Heroes system.

This *sort of* nerfs the Hero Point mechanic making things MUCH more dependent on the characters stats as they are, the players choices (you will need to use special combat maneuvers more, for example instead of just spending 20 HP and one shotting the bad guy) and the dice. The change means you have some control over the dice (a sore point with Dave over the years - the online dice rollers hate him as much as they love him, and I don't doctor rolls, promise!) which counters the HP mechanic change.

Because the HP system will be ( if all ok with it and no glaring flaws found) somewhat reduced in usefulness I intend to slash the costs of character advancement. Some of these characters have been going years now, with no real change in stats. I need to take a long look at the costs and divide them, so that there at least is *some* advancement.

I also intend to speed up combat. We'll maybe have announcements along the lines of:

Round 1 - Attack with Punch, fly up out of harms way. Buy 2 extra Dice.
Round 2 - if I take damage in Round 1, go on the defensive. If the fight is going my way try a multiple energy attack at range against three foes. Buy 1 extra Die.
Round 3 - If anyone is left coordinate with team to take them down with most powerful/preferred attack. No dice bought.

This probably needs heavy tweaking. When we played Golden Heroes way back when the combat system meant announcing and resolving four actions at a time in many cases. That pretty much meant fights were resolved in just a few posts albeit large ones in some cases, there were some real throw downs back in the day. I am open to suggestions about all of this and happy to try anything. Trying to play a face to face rpg by post is one of the most challenging ways to role play, especially in terms of keeping interest going, and if I need to change the mechanics of the rule system, I am more than happy to do that.

That also includes ditching the resolution table, but I will save that for another time. Duty calls Sad I'll be sat on my backside in a power station but may well be able to update between shunts, so fingers crossed we'll see some progress by the time ordinary human beings get out of bed (at least on GMT).

Cheers, Paul
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Nov 12 2015, 01:56

Silas, was modeled around a bunch of Green lantern stuff. So lots of Energy Manipulation and some supporting powers. For the purposes of this game I was thinking he got his powers from a shard of a meteor that landed under his bed. Darn cosmic radiation. Laughing

With the amount of time that's gone by, and without the ability to take on Superspeed to go some enchanting done in a shorter time I'm going to go for building up Silas. Also Fore Manipulation is just a riot to play with.

What am I look at for a budget on making him?

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 02:21

Lets say 1500 with an upper limit of 13-15 column for one aspect (acting or opposing, effect or resistance) and the rest in the 8-12 range in line with Frostbite and Haunt so as not to overshadow them whenthe team gets together. You may have to get creative to come up with 15 force manipulation...

Eesh sucks using a tablet to type on. Luckily i have a bluetooth keyboard somewhere in my bag...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 03:51

More thoughts about ditching the table.

(In the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter to players sinceI try to keep the mechanics behind the scenes...)

Keep Acting vs Opposing value. Target number is 10+Opposing Value* to be attempted by rolling 2D10 + Acting Value. Matching or exceeding the target number indicates the first part of the test has succeeded.

*possibility is a character decides to use their dice action to oppose an opponent, i.e. go on the defensive, they can roll the dice to *hopefully* get a Target Number higher than the base 10+opposing value.

Example: Frostbite attacks a Locust Man. His Acting Value (Cold Control) of 14 (off the top of my head) is up against the target number of 10 plus the locust mans 8 Dex. That means Frosty only needs to roll 4 or more to hit! The Locust man has seen a comrade go down to this icy demon so instead of attacking uses his dice action that round to dodge. The GM rolls 2D10...6 and...6! Double! Roll again... 4 and ... 7. The total (12+11) of 23, plus the Locust Mans Dex 8 means the target number is now... 31! Frostbite had better hope for a decent roll himself as his target number has just jumped from 4 to 17!

Exceeding the target number gives a bonus to the Effect Value (which is in effect how hard you punch, whilst Acting value is to determine if the punch lands).

Arrrgggh. Three times tried to post this. It keeps wiping what I post so will add the next part in another post...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Nov 12 2015, 04:09

Continues from last rambling post...

So, assuming the acting value roll (roll to hit in combat inother words) is successful, the damage is modified by how succesful (accurate) you were. Makes sense, yeah?

Its tricky to format a table on a bluetooth keyboard on my knees so excuse the following. The first number is the amount you exceeded the target number by followed (in brackets) by the bonus to your effect value (basically a damage bonus in combat)

1 (+1)
2-3 (+2)
4-6 (+3)
7-10 (+4)
11-15 (+5)
16-21 (+6)
22-28 (+7)
29-36 (+8)
37-45 (+9)
46-55 (+10)

EDIT: At home so its easier to do stuff. Here's a table to represent the above. You will see this pattern a lot in the next few pages...

Chat about the game... - Page 18 Damage_bonus_table

Example:Frostbite missedthe Locust Man from earlier but lands a punch later in the fight. His attack roll total of 23 beats the Locust mans opposing value of 18 by 5 points. That falls into the 4-6 column so Frostbite increases his Effect value (Strength 8) by +3 to 11. The Locust Mans body of 8 reduces this to 3 points (11-8=3) so he takes 3 damage.

That's (sort of) how the game works anyway but removes the counting columns and the table completely. In addition evenly matched opponents need a higher thab average roll to break the deadlock rather than relying on Hero Points and the 'whoever has most hero points wins, game over' mechanics as are at present.

Anyway, just a suggestion, think I have touched on this before somewhere. Combat maneuvers (that rely on column shifts) are up next.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Nov 12 2015, 13:14; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added the table which is easier to do in windows than Android, which is fiddly as hell)
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dunecat Thu Nov 12 2015, 06:04

The idea looks solid I think Paul. Why not try it out for an issue or two?

By the way, how would you feel if I took two Force Manipulation powers? The theory there being that I could use the second power to manifest additional gadgets or double them both up into making one gadget with multiple powers (Or just a decent Body score).

Edit: Fun fact, 15 APs of Force Manipulation is 475 HP.. not bad for the amount of them we have to work with!

dunecat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 39 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 28 ... 39  Next