The Vanguard Play by Post Roleplaying Game
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning

3 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning Empty Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning

Post  Admin Sat Aug 25 2012, 00:07

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning Lionheart_titel

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Lionheart looked up and over at General Wynn. The pair were being shuttled down to London in a V-Ship, and Lionheart had been gazing out the window.

With a sad smile Lionheart offered "Haven't been paid in... ever, actually!" he laughed. He turned out his pockets. "No pennies. Bit of fluff though!"

Wynn smiled. "She's still the same girl. Just... changed. Give her time. She's as human as the rest of us." The old man looked at his hand and frowned. Lionheart glanced at him, and his senses told him something strange about Wynn but he couldn't put his finger on it. The old man had survived a blast of incredible power from the Emissary and looked worn out. He was far older than the rest of the team - he supposed Allard was in his early thirties and the rest, like him, in their twenties. He turned back to the window, watching the clouds zip past, then saw in the distance the sprawl that was London. There's was the task of convincing the leaders - and the people of the world - to pull together. Lionheart was no expert on the Dark Power, but it seemed despair, terror and panic would all play into the things hands. The near total darkness now over the Earth was hard enough to navigate through with his super senses - he ad no idea what people must be like on the streets below.

=========

Air Raid sirens, silent for weeks, rang out across the city...

The V-Ship landed in Regents park and the landing ramp lowered to let the General and Squadron Leader disembark. Immediately Lionheart sensed danger, and saw a group of around twenty armed men in dark uniforms gathering around the V-Ship, machine guns pointed their way! More were setting up larger guns, and yet more still were spilling from the back of trucks and sprinting across the grass towards the V-Ship!

A floodlight titled down, flooding the area with light - and blinding, momentarily, the General and Lionheart!

"GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND SURRENDER! THIS IS YOUR ONLY CHANCE, TRAITORS!" bellowed a voice on a megaphone!

It was followed up by the click clack! of weapons being primed and ready to fire!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://darkeningshadows.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning Empty Re: Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning

Post  DavidMcMahon Sat Aug 25 2012, 01:26

"GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR AND SURRENDER! THIS IS YOUR ONLY CHANCE, TRAITORS!" bellowed a voice on a megaphone!

It was followed up by the click clack! of weapons being primed and ready to fire!.

ooc: Hmmm ... seems Anyman's mutiny charge carried over to everyone else. Or did it? confused
DavidMcMahon
DavidMcMahon
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning Empty Re: Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Aug 25 2012, 09:14

Lionheart looked a little perplexed but decided to play along for the time being. He motioned to Wynn to hang back, since he couldn't very well dodge bullets.

"Ok, ok I know things have gotten off to a bad start, what with the Sun being swallowed by a huge cosmic cloud of darkness. But look on the bright side...opps I didn't really need to say that did I!"

Whilst he prattled on with his useless banter and made a show of slowly raising his hands behind his head to put the men a little less on guard, Lionheart took a good look around at what he was seeing. Did he recognise this sudden change in appearance? What was the uniform the men were wearing? How had they suddenly be designated traitors in his absence to the moon.

OOC:
I must admit I haven't been reading Dave/Anyman's thread so I know nothing about this emissary or Wynn or this whole thing of Anyman being declared a traitor, so hence I am playing Lionheart that way. As even in game time we've not had a lot of time to talk since the Devourer showed up.

To be honest Wynn is more the politician than me, if things have gone pear shaped here, then I think we might be thinking about taking off for Bletchley and then onto see St Johns in Wales and just don't both to try to rally the people - its not as if Lionheart is a great leader capable of rousing speech. He's more like the warm up comedian ;-)

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Aug 26 2012, 23:17

"Not helping son" smiled Wynn, and he walked forward, arms raised. "Now, what's this all about?"

A man strode up, weapon in hand but pointed down. Wynn narrowed his eyes. "Peeler 44? Howard? What's all this about?"

The Peeler stopped, then looked at Lionheart, finally back at Wynn. "General, I'm going to have to ask you to come peacefully. There has been... a development."

The fellow looked uncomfortable for a moment, then straightened up "I'm here to arrest you. DICE has been ... disbanded. General Forbes and Brigadier Dawson are already ... cooperating with our enquiries."

Wynns brows lowered "What in the bloody blue blazes is going on?" he spluttered.

Peeler 44 glanced to the left and right, where other dark uniformed men were jogging to take up positions, pistols pointing at the heroes. "DICE and the Vanguard are being held responsible for the predicament the world finds itself in! You have been declared... enemies of humanity!"

OOC What happens next determines if we roll initiative, or we talk our way through...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Aug 27 2012, 09:32

Admin wrote:Peeler 44 glanced to the left and right, where other dark uniformed men were jogging to take up positions, pistols pointing at the heroes. "DICE and the Vanguard are being held responsible for the predicament the world finds itself in! You have been declared... enemies of humanity!"

OOC What happens next determines if we roll initiative, or we talk our way through...

OOC:
Oh part of me just so wants to get back in the ship and head for Wales. Partly because I feel there is little we can do to change this and partly because its not going to expedite matters in terms of helping us defeat the devourer. But at the same time part of me feels am I being too short sighted and letting frustration get the better of me.

Turning to Wynn, Lionheart said, "Just give the word General and I'll have you out of here faster than these men can shoot. I am not sure what we can gain from sticking with this sir. Words aren't going to do much to separate fact from fiction with the sun blotted out and the Vanguard, save yourself, not even being present!"

Even as he spoke, Lionheart mentally adjusted his Psi abilities enveloped Wynn in his force field as he primed it and his speed with his considerable mental strength for a quick get away if the old man gave the word.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Aug 28 2012, 22:20

Wynn glanced at Lionheart, then spoke quietly "With the Dark Power it would be easy to sort all this out... but I suspect I'll only be adding to the problem." He looked uneasy "I far as I can make out, it'd be like asking a tiger to go into an abattoir and not eat any of the meat. So much suffering, distrust and panic in the world it would send the Dark Power crazy!"

He sighed. "I can't leave Forbes and Dawson rotting in jail. We need to get to the bottom of this and convince the governments of the world we are here to help, and to protect them." with that he held out his hands to be cuffed, and gave a glance at Lionheart "Do what you feel you must, Richard. I have to help my friends."

OOC your call on whether you go peacefully, or take off...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Aug 28 2012, 22:29

Admin wrote:Wynn glanced at Lionheart"Do what you feel you must, Richard. I have to help my friends."

OOC your call on whether you go peacefully, or take off...

Lionheart sighed, "There my friends...to. In for a penny ole bean, what what."

Holding out his unresisting hands and then seeing how the men struggled to fit the cuffs around his force field surrounding his body, Lionheart laughed. "Look you know I can break out easily, but I'm surrendering, so let dispense with these right."

Moments later he was waiting in the cars assigned to take them away. "Come on, are you going to wait all night to interrogate us or what, we've still got to save the world you know!"

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Aug 30 2012, 14:03

"Just following orders sir." said the Peeler, all business. He turned, shouting "No rough stuff! You know the status of these two!"

Wynn raised an eyebrow. "Status?"

The Peeler looked a bit embarrassed. "There's uh, a new way of classifying super humans sir. Class 1 is someone at the peak of human ability, a real handful but we can take down with the right strategy. Class 3 is the toss cars about type, fly through the air as quick as a plane, that sort of thing. Needs extra planning and resources."

"And we are?"

"Class 5 sir."

Wynn turned to Lionheart, shrugging.

The Peeler continued "That's code for 'we have no real way of dealing with these people if it all kicks off'." He looked nervously about at the soldiers who appeared somewhat confident at having taken the prisoners so easily. He sighed, chuckled, and shook his head. "You two, and the others, are all fives. I'm under no illusions about the chances are holding you if you don't want to be held, but orders is orders."

Wynn frowned. "Orders? From whom?"

"Winston Churchill."

=========

"Are you sure about this?"

The woman turned, then nodded. "Do not doubt my words. Have I not demonstrated my worth already?"

The large man turned to the window, looking out into the pitch black streets, illuminated here and there by the soft glow of street lamps. He sucked slowly on his cigar then shrugged. "What alternative do I have? You waltz in here, past my apparently hopeless guards, then tell me you have the solution to my problems. What's more..." he looked at his hands "You say you come bearing gifts, and that you can deliver the world from its current predicament. I am... uncomfortable about the price you exact, but desperate times call for the most desperate of measures, and if things had carried on as they were, we'd have been an island alone, ranged against the rest of the world!"

He walked over to the table, running a hand over his head. "Though I'd lost all this, years ago." he chuckled, referring to his hair. In truth, there was only a thin wisp of blonde hair but minutes ago there'd been nothing. Hard lines had softened, and an ache in the mans chest had receded. He looked at the cup on the table. "What's in that stuff? Bloody remarkable, what?"

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning Grail

He picked the cup up, turning it in his hands. "This old thing looks like it could do with a bit of a clean though. I have some crystal goblets if you have any more of it..."

The woman smiled, then shrugged. "Just be grateful." She took the cup up and placed it in her handbag, turning to leave.

"You know, I never got your name, Miss... ?"

"Morrigan. Morrigan... LeFay...ette..." she smiled.

"You don't seem sure!" chuckled Winston Churchill.

"Just distracted. Now, I need to prepare things for our guests..."

Churchills mood seemed to darken, and he looked away. "Yes. Is ... are you sure there's no other way?"

Morrigan turned, smiling sadly. "Sorry. If the Earth is to live through all of these 'dark times', the VANGUARD MUST DIE!"

=========

The Truck pulled up and guards piled out of other vehicles, weapons trained.

"Rather a lot of them." said Wynn, looking around. There must have been over 100 guards, soldiers, all with weapons trained on the pair of them! Perched on walls, vehicles, on the street itself... He looked up.

"Tower of London. Traditional home for traitors!" said Wynn, trying to put a brave face on things.

Lionheart narrowed his eyes. There was something odd about the sky. It was pitch black all over, so why was it slightly lighter, a color of very dark grey? Unnoticed by normal human eyes, including Wynns aged vision, to Lionheart it seemed clear. It was pitch black before, a complete absence of light from the sun, darker than any eclipse? Now, it was lighter... Suddenly...

'Help me!' cried a distant voice in Lionhearts head! The voice sounded frail, old, yet somehow close by! A glance at Wynn and the guards around him revealed they appeared not to have heard it...

OOC Go along with the guards ushering, reply to the voice, break out and wreak merry havok, use your powers in some new and inventive way? Somethings going on here.... something big...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Aug 30 2012, 16:16

Admin wrote:'Help me!' cried a distant voice in Lionhearts head! The voice sounded frail, old, yet somehow close by! A glance at Wynn and the guards around him revealed they appeared not to have heard it...

OOC Go along with the guards ushering, reply to the voice, break out and wreak merry havok, use your powers in some new and inventive way? Somethings going on here.... something big...

Lionheart stopped, he caught Wynn's eye. "I just head someone call for help? Man this could get difficult." He nodded as Wynn gave a nod toward his head, knowing well his powers. Someone somewhere out there was in trouble, but so was the whole world. What could one voice, mean? Especially since somehow it he had heard it in his head?

OOC:
Ok going to concentrate and see if I can pinpoint anything specific. If the voice can be heard in my head then they might be a fellow Psi and able to communicate by mind, so that I can learn more before rushing off and leaving Wynn vulnerable. Esp now I know Morganna's back! Oh brother, another conundrum wrapped in a parallel implausibility or some such.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Sep 01 2012, 14:41

Wynn looked uncomfortable and spoke quietly "A cry for help?" he looked about in the pitch blackness. "Not surprised. In fact, I'm more surprised that there isn't widespread panic by now. I'll bet the Shadow Demons are having a field day!"

The Peeler stepped up "We're aware that handcuffs will be useless on you two, so the Prime Minister gave a personal request that you cooperate with the authorities until some solution can be found to the current problem."

Wynn was about to ask Lionheart if he'd had chance to figure out where the cry had come from when guards opened the London Tower gates. All of sudden it seemed that this was getting deadly serious!

Lionheart shuffled along, flanked by guards on either side. Some held lanterns up, others shone torches. All across London lights winked as people did whatever they could to illuminate the place. There was an almost eerie silence as people went on about their business, seemingly unperturbed by the complete eclipse of the Sun!

Wynn sighed "Lionheart, cooperate for now. I want to find out where our people are and get them together to sort all this out. Till then, any 'moves' we make using our powers will only make this lot more nervous and perhaps give fuel to their argument that we're a danger and somehow caused all of... " he waved his hands about "This."

=========

CLANG!

The cell was small, 3m cubed, and the brickwork ancient. Finally able to concentrate, Lionheart sent out a thought to whomever that mysterious voice in his head was, hoping they could hear it. It had been tricky to send it out psychically, in effect like a radio transmission. You had to have a radio - or in this case, extra sensory perception - to hear such a broadcast.

'To the person needing help... who are you? Where are you?' he pulsed, then waited. They'd been taken down into the dungeons, and there, separated into different cells. Both had been made comfortable - there was a bed, pan for the toilet, and a plate of cold meats and vegetables with something to drink. A light shone from the ceiling, but it was hardly what you'd call 'home from home'.

'Help me!' came the cry! 'I'm trapped! Seek me... at .. Avebury...'

Lionheart was interrupted when he heard footsteps outside of the door. Expecting all this madness to be cleared up and released, instead a shutter in the stout iron door opened up. "You have a visitor" said a guard, who then pulled back out of view.

Shadowland - The Vanguard Issue #1B The Lion and the Lightning 4_1093_kimporcel

The woman was beautiful, but cold, somehow. She wore a suit, and was impeccably turned out. Lionheart sensed rather than experienced the desire she invoked in the male guards in the corridor.

"You must be the one known as Richard... King? The Lionheart, yes? Interesting names you have!" she laughed. Lionheart frowned. Was she...?

"I need your help Agent King." she explained, and Lionheart blinked. Of course he would help her. He would do anything he could to... "There are dark forces at work, seeking to destroy all of reality as we know it! Few can see it, but I believe your friend General Wynn, and you can. Your other friends... Frostbite and Silver Sentinel..."

Her voice trailed off. Those others! What did she have need of them for? She only need him! Lionhearts power was easily the equal of...

He blinked, looking at her as she smiled at him. Her eyes were mesmerising, and he knew then that she was using some kind of power on him! Question was, did he play along, try to break out and confront her, or see what happened if he let his guard down? And what would he do about the voice in his head? Avebury?

In an instant his amazing mind called up the details...

'Avebury is a Neolithic henge monument containing three stone circles, around the village of Avebury in Wiltshire, in southwest England. Unique amongst megalithic monuments, Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe, and is one of the best known prehistoric sites in Britain. It is both a tourist attraction and a place of religious importance to contemporary Pagans.'

He turned his attention to the woman. She'd said something else. In a moment she would realise he was able to resist her - to an extent... and then what?

OOC Over to you...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Sat Sep 01 2012, 17:37

Admin wrote:He turned his attention to the woman. She'd said something else. In a moment she would realise he was able to resist her - to an extent... and then what?

OOC Over to you...

Lionheart smiled, knowing that he could resist the woman, gave him confidence that playing along would give him the best chance he had to escape. Escape and find out what was going on elsewhere and in Avebury, if at all possible. However he moved he didn't wish to make thing harder for the others. After all though he and Wynn, had powers many of their friends from Bletchley had not such benefit.

"How may I be of service marm!"

Lionheart allowed his mind to remain blank, but within himself he set up walls. Walls that like his force shield on the outside gave him protection from this woman's charms whilst giving her the impression he was under her spell.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 04 2012, 04:17

The woman smiled, seeming to purr as she looked through the hatch in the door. Her eyes were truly mesmerising, and Lionheart found himself practising a long near forgotten skill. In the academy the training had included defence against other psychics such as those found in the PSI Corps, and the building of mental barriers. The trick was to layer them. It was distracting - he'd not be able to fight quite as effectively or control his powers as well, but better that than fall under the sway of this woman!

He allowed himself a split second gaze to the left of those dangerous eyes, and saw the guards in the corridor stood to attention, staring without interest even though there was a beautiful woman only feet away!

"You are not like the others, but you are formidable. An army of men like you would easily conquer this world! A man like you by my side, as consort, could help me attain all I desire, and in doing so be amply rewarded! I need to gather certain... artefacts." she turned, looking about, and instantly Lionheart felt some relief, and was able to erect more mental barriers! She turned back and continued "I shall return in a few hours. I need to prize the location of certain items from the minds of lesser beings than ourselves. Once I have the items locations, you will bring them to me!"

For the first time he saw doubt and probably fear on her face as she frowned. "This darkness is unsettling. It heralds the end of times, I feel. If I am to save this land to rule as my own, I need to act quickly, and gather strong allies. Your... friends are powerful men. I have encountered them before. The cold one, and the armoured man. They thwarted my plans and I was cast adrift for an age before waking, then found myself here! Now I am ready to set events into motion, and the sun goes dark! Time grows short, and the chance to save this land so precious to me grows shorter still! Be ready, when next I come!"

Without a further word, she whirls away and the hatch slides across, leaving Lionheart relieved and disturbed in equal measure. How would he proceed from here...?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 04 2012, 11:50

Admin wrote:Without a further word, she whirls away and the hatch slides across, leaving Lionheart relieved and disturbed in equal measure. How would he proceed from here...?

Lionheart's mind raced, he knew and guessed a lot more about what Sentinel and Frostbite had been up to in the magical world of Avalon. A place they had gone to, in mere minutes but in which weeks and months passed. A world that they sought help from, but ended up destroying. This women must be the witch, that has escaped. Questions about how and if she, who else might also live, would have to wait.

Who was it she was pressing to gain information from. More importantly Lionheart didn't like the sound of how she intended to go about it, nor what she wanted to do with the information. Although getting out of this situation wouldn't be too taxing at the same time, it might only betray the fact he was himself, unless...

As the Woman started to move out of the cell, Lionheart flexed his great muscle and with ease moved forward seemingly unable to stop himself, willing himself to look love lost and in desperate need to be the woman, whom he pretended had captured his heart. Though he was fortunate, because in truth only one woman had done that and he'd been around some beautiful woman before.

He then said in a love lorn voice, "Please, I want to be with...you!" He allowed the guards to come closer and 'gently' swatted them aside. He hoped their headaches would be the only thing they'd feel rather than something more permanent. He was taking a chance, but hoped that however this woman was able to freely come and go, would cover his tracks and the bold move he was making now.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 05 2012, 13:02

The door strained, then buckled and dangled from its hinges, and the guards instantly whirled, brandishing weapons! There were half a dozen, and the woman turned, mild surprise on her face! She glanced at the guards. and they lowered their weapons, as one...

Moving closer to Lionheart, he felt that piercing gaze rest on his eyes, and his mental shields crashed inwards! Swiftly he piled more up, but knew under such sustained pressure it would come down to a battle of wills! Whilst his will was near insurmountable, there was another power at play here, and he suspected... magic! That strange elemental force of the universe that could not easily be measured or defined. Who knew what this woman could call on?

She ran a hand up his arm. "my! So strong..." she purred, leaning into him. "And so strong willed! I tell you to stay, and you force your way through a solid bound iron door! Perhaps..."

She leaned closer, and Lionheart felt her sweet breath on his face... she meant to kiss him!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Wed Sep 05 2012, 22:27

Admin wrote:Lionheart She leaned closer, and Lionheart felt her sweet breath on his face... she meant to kiss him!

This Lionheart knew would be very bad, so instead whilst she was concentrating in one direction, Lionheart used his telekinetic powers to push the men behind him into them, in so doing he then tried to 'rescue' the Morrigan so that he could skilfully avoid the kiss, as he she went for him, he grabbed her saying, "Mistress, watch out." Then backhanding the men whom he'd forced awkwardly forward, he continued.

"Clearly they were jealous, they tried to intervene. But no matter, I saw to it. Besides in one sense I actually pity them, after all who can blame them for such rash actions when in the presence of one, so beautiful?"

Lionheart hated himself, but put such rage to good use using it to focus his mind and tear through the cobwebs that were trying to stitch his mind shut. If he failed now, he might as well be back under Saladin's control for all the good it would do him. He had to fight back.

OOC:
ok I must have a tone of hero points I've not used and I start using them now to resist the magic and yet not reveal that I am doing so, whilst hoping my fawning will flatter her enough to pass over the kissing thing.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Sep 06 2012, 03:06

OOC No need to blow hero points, but you are right - you have a mountain of them. Having reinstalled windows (again) my notes are in disarray (but still in existence, albeit on a renumbered drive somewhere) which is why I started tracking stats online. Computers and bits of paper with a 2 year old about are notoriously unreliable...

With a swift move and rapid thinking, Lionheart whisked Morrigan to the side and backhanded the nearest hapless guard! The others sprawled theatrically with a telekinetic shove, and Lionheart straightened up with the lady in his hands.

She appeared shaken, and fretted with her hair, looking at the men then up at Lionheart. "It seems" she said "I have not fully recovered from my exertions. The Grail hasn't... " She seemed to realize she'd said more than she wanted to, and looked at Lionheart shrewdly, as if assessing his mental state.

"Wait here. You will receive instructions." she ordered. With a disgusted glance at the sprawled guards she whirled away, straightening her hair and looking rather flustered. Lionheart stood in the corridor, alone save for the dazed guards and the cell with the door hanging off. Other doors down the length of the stone corridor might well hold his DICE comrades...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Thu Sep 06 2012, 07:26

Admin wrote:"Wait here. You will receive instructions." she ordered. With a disgusted glance at the sprawled guards she whirled away, straightening her hair and looking rather flustered. Lionheart stood in the corridor, alone save for the dazed guards and the cell with the door hanging off. Other doors down the length of the stone corridor might well hold his DICE comrades...

With a swift look at the sprawling guards and then a last glance toward the female sorceress, Lionheart swiftly moved to the other cells, looking within to see what and who might lie there.

OOC:
Ok lets see who is here and what, if any information we can ascertain from them, as to what has been happening. And who this Morrigan is posing as, that she can have the run of the place.

Sorry to hear about your computer woes, its just as well that you know the inside perhaps better than the outside of one. Maybe with all these files you ought to keep a back up on a data stick that way you can just reload from one place and back up to one place. I'd be driven nuts trying to confirm details I was sure were true, but not being able to find the file or post that it was put into.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 07 2012, 15:05

OOC Heh, just another day and one of the hard drives is playing up, disappearing at random. The screech of death and data loss can't be far away. Running diagnostics now, showing 3.5 hours to go (it's a 2TB drive, takes ages)

Moving to the nearest cell, aware that the guards were 'coming to'. They were still under orders to keep him and the others incarcerated. Knowing that time was a commodity he didn't have much of, he glanced about, took a splinter of wood from the floor and picked the lock to the next cell at superspeed, having heard the heartbeat of the man inside.

General Wynn looked up "Lionheart! Wondered what the devil was going on out there! Been pondering on breaking out and finding out what the bloody hell is going on, what? Best see to the others." he looked past Lionheart to the guards. "I'll see to them."

Inside the corridor black clouds formed near the ceiling, and the air smelled of ozone. "Best stay down lads..." said the General.

A flash and crackle later, Lionheart figured they didn't heed his advice.

The next door revealed General Forbes, the ones after that contained Brigadier Dawson and Major Emma Steed, formerly Gravity Girl before she lost her powers. Another door revealed Sgt. Major Slobotham, who was sprawled out and looked to have been badly beaten - there was no way he'd have gone quietly! With a groan he accepted General Wynn's help up, and Dawson turned to Lionheart. "The worlds gone mad! We saw communiques directly blaming the Vanguard for this complete eclipse from almost all of the world powers! Of course, we weren't going to stand for that, so we petitioned the PM and the cabinet of war. And... subsequently ended up here!"

Steed looked about, then grabbed up a belt, pistols and ammunition. She checked the guards sprawled about. "All alive. Probably for the best General Wynn! Heard anything from Anyman?" she asked of Lionheart.

Forbes shook his head "Never mind that! This is bad. Breaking out of here is almost like an admission of guilt! We should stay put, wait for due process to sort things out. When heads have cooled, and people realize..."

General Wynn walked up, carrying Slobotham under one arm as the man stumbled along. "No time for that. If such a miracle as the powers that be growing a set of goolies and brain cells in the same day did occur, it'd be a thousand years from now! Never happen! Besides, the Earth doesn't have that long! We need to find a solution to the Devourer! There must be some way of..."

He turned to Lionheart. "What is it?"

Lionheart tipped his head and listened. "Soldiers. Dozens of them. Heading this way from the upper floors!"

Wynn turned "Decision time. Do we go quietly into the night, and pray for someone else to sort this out, or do we... declare war on all those who would oppose us, in the name of saving the world?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Fri Sep 07 2012, 17:24

Admin wrote:Lionheart tipped his head and listened. "Soldiers. Dozens of them. Heading this way from the upper floors!"

Wynn turned "Decision time. Do we go quietly into the night, and pray for someone else to sort this out, or do we... declare war on all those who would oppose us, in the name of saving the world?"

"Blast!" He said, the offered to the others as they looked quizzically at him.

"I was getting close to the woman. Morrigan or something. I think she might have been the woman that Frostbite and Sentinel faced in Albion. Though how she is here and able to come and go as she please..." His voice trailed off for a moment.

He continued, snapping back into the situation, "She had formidable powers of persuasion, I was to be used to claim certain magic items so as to take the country into some place the Devourer couldn't get at. But I guess if we break out now, that will be that! What are you're order sir?"

Having said his peace, Lionheart waited, there was still the matter of the voice in Alsbury, but that would have to wait for now.

Sj

Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 09 2012, 22:33

Wynn stroked his chin with some unease. "Well, for starters we're doing no bloody good being stuck in here. If we break out, we'll be considered 'guilty' of whatever trumped up charge is being thrown at us, so if we want to get things back to normal, we should stay in our cells and await whatever comes next."

Forbes, Dawson and Slobotham looked up, and were about to speak when Wynn raised a hand again. "Things aren't going back to normal. There will be no future unless we find a way to oppose the Devourer, that thing which is blacking out our sun! According to the Vanguard in space the Devourer is some kind of... collection of people like us. A vast, uncountable collection. That said, with such power, how come it hasn't completely overrun us already? There must be something, some reason why it cannot simply steam roll over us. We need to find out what it is."

Dawson frowned "So what do we do next? Let's face it, fighting a war against the Nazis was a minor inconvenience compared to the size of the problem we face!"

Wynn shrugged. "Good question."

"Information" stated Major Steed. "We find out everything we can about the Devourer, then see if anyone has beaten it, whether it has any weaknesses, and how to exploit them. When opposed by a superior force, you don't meet it head on - you're playing to its strengths and facing certain defeat that way. Lionheart, this woman..." she said, adding "She might have some means of outwitting the Devourer. That's one option. Another is all of you, using this Dark Power of yours, to do something, anything! I don't know... the scale involved is staggering, but how about transporting the world to a different place?"

Wynn chuckled "My dear, let's just say we are limited by our own moral code and imagination, and such things are..." he frowned. "Only Anyman has demonstrated that level of power thus far. Nowhere Boy possibly had that potential, but the youngster is... gone."

Forbes shrugged "We get out of here, lie low, coordinate information and tactics from a secret location. Or we stay here and wait our fate. Neither sounds appealing. If that woman is coming back she'll expect you to be here, King" he said to Lionheart. "My own thought is... we wait, and see what she has to say, then act."

"Stuff that!" said Slobotham. "Give me a gun, let me go down fighting, instead of rotting in a cell!"

Wynn turned to Lionheart. "Decision time. Alright. We go. You and I are up. They are coming down the stairs in numbers, I suggest I go meet them, you use your powers to find some way out of this place and I will hold them as long as I can. No heroics, but these are only soldiers. We'll have to hope the woman was a crackpot and that any fool brain plan she conjured to do with old trinkets is mumbo jumbo. We've not got the time to do otherwise! All of you, out with Lionheart..."

Slobotham started, but Wynn cut him off "Pulling rank old chum, so move your ass. Lionheart will find or make some way out of here! Don't worry. I should have died earlier facing off against that Dark Emissary. If that couldn't kill me, a few brainwashed squaddies with guns are no bother. Rendezvous at ... St Pauls Cathedral tonight." he said, checking his watch. "21.00 hours. Gives us a few hours from now to sort out something less distinctive to wear and grab a bite to eat."

"Then we take the war to the enemy, whomever they are"

OOC Lionheart has a pile of superhuman powers - how do you fancy breaking out of the Great Tower of London, bearing in mind you're about 100' below street level and in the cell block...? You won't have long - the guards are coming down, and Wynn is on his way up to face them alone, to buy you more time...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Mon Sep 10 2012, 07:53

Admin wrote:

Rendezvous at ... St Pauls Cathedral tonight." he said, checking his watch. "21.00 hours. Gives us a few hours from now..."

OOC Lionheart has a pile of superhuman powers - how do you fancy breaking out of the Great Tower of London, bearing in mind you're about 100' below street level and in the cell block...? You won't have long - the guards are coming down, and Wynn is on his way up to face them alone, to buy you more time...

Lionheart considered his options, fighting his way through a love sick pile of bewitched men would be unlikely to hurt him, but he couldn't say the same about them. He had no idea of the layout here, but he had to wonder if there was any other exists, an old dungeon like this might have its secret ways in and out. But then again he didn't have any location type senses by which he could deploy to use. But then why use strength when guile would work just as well.

"Wynn if you are determined to do this, then if you can lead them away from me we can retrace their route back to the surface. I could smash through a 100' foot of London clay, but I'd much rather save my efforts till we are nearer the surface."

OOC:
Ok maybe I am not being imaginative enough, but without some sort of echo location, geophys type radar I've no way to know if there are routes out or up from here hidden away. But what I will do is see if I can pick up on the surface thoughts of the men coming down here. See if any of them know of another way out, as if that is a concern that we might find and escape. Otherwise we'll hide in a location that they are bound to go by, as Wynn draws them in deeper, so we can slip by once they've gone past. Should it be that they leave guards out and about, then I will simply give them a love tap to know em out, and use Telekinesis to hold them up for as long as I can whilst we run in the other direction. To try and get to the surface.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 11 2012, 00:27

OOC Or your animal senses might help, though you may not thank them for it. The sewers would run somewhere around here, easily detectable for a man with the nose of a bloodhound...

Lionheart scoured the darkness of the corridor, wondering about shifting his power to probe one of the guards minds... but what would they no of hidden exits from this place? He took a deep breath, pondering if he should get the others to lie low and hope the guards are too tied up to miss them sneaking past. That's when he caught the faint, but distinctive, whiff of sewage! Like a bloodhound he paced the corridor, then opened a cell door and looked about. Nothing... unless...

Using his superhuman strength, he gripped an ancient stone, far too big for a normal man to handle, and pulled it from the wall! The smell was immediately stronger, and the clay behind was soaked! Pulling a fist back, he formed his forcefield around it then slammed it into the clay, punching a hole through several feet thick of the stuff into a foul smelling tunnel beyond! Pulling a face and nipping his nose, he widened the hole and put his head in. With the vision of a cat in the darkness, he saw the steady flow of sewage several metres below, making its lazy way towards the Thames. The smell was atrocious, but the tunnel represented a way out - and what's more he could pull the stone back into place behind them, covering their tracks!

"Hurry!" hissed Emma Steed "It sounds like... oh my! What IS that smell?" she spluttered, covering her face.

Forbes and Dawson were less than impressed. "Now look old chap, you seriously can't... you are. Oh... balder-dash!"

Gunfire rang out from down the corridor, followed by the ZAAAAPPPP!!! and flash of lightning! The corridor lit up, and the gunfire was constant now, as was the strong smell of ozone!

Lionheart helped Slobotham through the hole he'd made, then telekinetically lifted and placed the stone back in place.

"I wouldn't do that" suggested Steed as Slobotham was about to light a match! The pitch darkness was impenetrable to the DICE operatives who stood waist high in the vile sludge. It was too much for Dawson, who threw up! Lionheart, able to see normally, took the hand of Forbes, who joined hands with the others in turn. The going would be slow, but at least they wouldn't bring all of the soldiers in London down on them! He just hoped Wynn escaped alright...

=========

Half an hour later the roar of water was a welcome sound...

Lionheart removed a rusted grate covering the access to the sewer tunnel, ignoring the fact it was bolted securely to the wall! Helping the others free, they breathed fresh air on the bank of the Thames, and took the opportunity to find a clean patch of water to bathe in.

The snow had started to fall, and the temperature was heading towards zero now. Only Lionheart was immune to the cold, and the pitch blackness cast a layer of gloom over the group. The streetlights did little to penetrate it, and the distant wail of sirens suggested their escape had been noted.

Forbes, shivering, suggested the group split up. "If we're all caught together, the gig is up. I will head to my sisters place. She's out of town anyway. Get cleaned up, then meet at the rendezvous. In the meantime I will try to get some idea of what is going on. Contact the DICE agents I know are loyal. The world might have gone mad, but we need to keep our heads, find some way through this mess! Dawson, you do the same, try to get some of the Strange Science Boffins on our side. Steed, Slobotham, head to Wynns town house on Baker Street and wait for the old man there. Lionheart, there's a DICE safe house..." he told him the address. "Change of clothes, food, that sort of thing. We'll meet up in a couple of hours, I expect." he said after checking his watch.

OOC Will Lionheart freshen up and meet at the appointed time as Soldiers and Police scour the streets for the group, or is he going to check a few things out?

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 11 2012, 16:21

Admin wrote:OOC Or your animal senses might help, though you may not thank them for it. The sewers would run somewhere around here, easily detectable for a man with the nose of a bloodhound...

OOC:
Do you know its so long since I looked at my character sheet, I didn't even know I had animal senses. Probably because in all the time I've played Lionheart I've never used them. So glad that you knew or looked, that will teach me. Been relying on Psi power for a long time I guess.

As the others left, Lionheart offered a parting word, of caution. "Be careful, since DICE has been infiltrated we don't know if anyone loyal remains so. Morrigan used something powerful, perhaps some elemental force or even magic to try and charm me. Maybe something a normal man or woman might not be able to resist. So our friends might not be who we think they are. Also see what you can find out about the others and Saladin. If Morrigan knows or finds them and turns them, we might be in a much worse position, than we already are."

With that he let the others go waiting till their thoughts were out of range, before speeding off to what may or may not be a safe house at all.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Sep 11 2012, 21:55

With streetlamps providing the only illumination, it was hard to figure out what time of day it was. Coupled with the falling snow and silence of a city that should be celebrating the end of hostilities in Europe...

The people that Lionheart saw didn't look afraid, or worried, or bothered by the snow or even the cold. They simply wrapped up and went on, businesslike, about their business in the shadowed streets.

Disturbed, Lionheart sped on his way.

=========

The key was on the top of the frame

Lionheart glanced about in the corridor of the building. The flat was one of several designated for the use of DICE agents. His superhuman senses had told him it was deserted, and he'd been careful to move at such speed that the other occupants of the building - ordinary families - had felt only a waft of a breeze as the fastest human being on planet Earth had moved past!

He placed the keys on a table next to the door and dropped his forcefield, feeling the cold of the unused flat. An instant later he'd laid the fire and lit it at super speed, and stood back, rubbing his hands as the light and warmth began to fill the room.

"How quickly you forget"

Lionheart whirled at the sound of the voice, and saw a figure sat in shadow in the room! As the glow from the fire extended and flickered, he saw Saladin sat in a chair facing him, a gun levelled at Lionhearts chest! Strangely enough Lionhearts strange intuition sense hadn't kicked in - another trick of Saladins, who knew Lionheart almost as well as he knew himself, or did the man offer no threat, despite appearances?

Saladins physical appearance had taken Lionheart by surprise at first - of course, his body had been transferred into a vat grown form and he'd been 'acclimatising' in the medical bay of a V-Ship before the Devourer had plunged the world into darkness!

OOC Your call - he holds a pistol on you, is sat 4m away in a chair, seemingly comfortable. he is wearing a shirt, trousers, boots and a long trench coat. He's younger, but you can tell its Saladin, somehow. Your move...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Steeple_jackuk Tue Sep 11 2012, 22:37

Admin wrote:Lionheart

"How quickly you forget"

OOC Your call - he holds a pistol on you, is sat 4m away in a chair, seemingly comfortable. he is wearing a shirt, trousers, boots and a long trench coat. He's younger, but you can tell its Saladin, somehow. Your move...

Lionheart carried on, although he was surprised that Saladin was here, he wasn't at all surprised he was free. The man was as slippery as an eel, any chance to escape...

"Forget what?" Lionheart said somewhat testily. Truth be told if Saladin was here, he had to wonder what happened to the others?

Moving back to the fire, to continue to warm his hands up, he gave Saladin no reason to fear him. But quietly replaced his force field and delicately stretched out his mind toward him. He might not set off his danger sense, but he was sure that he wasn't going to get the jump on him.

Sj
Steeple_jackuk
Steeple_jackuk
Cosmic Level

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next